Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

This is about as big as Trump's tiny, tiny hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

That one article from last week about Boehner and his tropical fish tank made me almost like the guy

ed: poo poo that was Priebus not Boehner. I can't keep these impossible-to-spell white dudes straight.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 1, 2016

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I'll be kinda pissed if Clinton does a bunch of awesome poo poo and Sanders gets all the credit for 'pulling her to the left'. I mean, not THAT pissed, because in this scenario awesome poo poo is happening, but still. Once again, a dude and a lady have the same idea and the dude gets all the credit for it.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

It was probably poor wording on my part? The idea I'm trying to convey is that a lot of people are leaning on it pretty hard, when what I perceive is that for most of her career, she's been looked at as a capable politician and lawyer, not as a capable politician and a lawyer "for a woman."

I'm doing a poor job explaining this, I think.

So... as a woman, when I hear people say things like this, what it sounds like to me is "she is competent enough not to count as a woman, since obviously the default Woman State is inherently less capable than the default Man State."

I'm sure you don't literally think that in so many words, but unexamined bias is a thing.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 1, 2016

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

John Cena delivers a message about love and patriotism and diversity in America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdK8hBkR3s

This is surprisingly great.

I watch WWE with my roommate sometimes and they also did a tribute for the Orlando victims that I was totally on edge for, expecting something lovely or tasteless to happen... but nope, they did a long solemn moment of silence with a big-rear end rainbow flag in the background and it was actually kind of moving, despite involving a bunch of oily dudes in superhero costumes. Wresting is pretty chill.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Noam Chomsky posted:

“We could proceed to an indictment, but if Loretta Lynch is the head of the DOJ in the United States, she’s not going to indict Hillary Clinton,” Assange told ITV. “That’s not possible that could happen."

How convenient. "Well, I mean, she WASN'T, but she totally WOULD have been, except"

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Given that the FBI is not usually in the business of massively destabilizing the entire country - in fact they usually try to do the opposite of that - I'd be really surprised if they decided to drag this poo poo out for THIS LONG and then indict her right before the convention, even if she had actually done something illegal (which she didn't).

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Also, like... is she $hillary Clinton with her fingers on all the levers of power in Washington, or isn't she? If you believe that she is, don't you also sorta have to believe that she could do whatever illegal poo poo she wanted and still not be indicted for it?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Faustian Bargain posted:

Same. I don't understand what happened, but whenever someone says "Monsanto!!!" my eyes glass over. I don't care too much about GMO labeling other than it's making idiots feel smart. At least he's not an anti-vaxxer I guess.

I actually think there are issues around patenting genetic material and the loss of genetic diversity in food crops that should be discussed and addressed more widely than they are, but for some reason nobody on the left wants to talk about anything besides "well GMOs cause cancer maybe!!"

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Some sort of... robo-cop?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Man she is really moving to the left in this speech

Can't wait for all of Prez Clinton's achievements to all be written off as "well, Sanders pushed her to the left!!"

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

"And that is why I happily endorse...." Bernie says just before being cut of by "Medley: Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In (The Flesh Failures)".

"By gawd that is Jill Steins music."

So THAT'S why she killed Vince McMahon

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I had mildly positive feelings toward Jill Stein before this election and now I think of her as a craven opportunist who gives no shits about the good of the country, good job Greens

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
It's not so much even sodas and poo poo, as things like bread. Why does most bread have sugar added to it (in corn syrup form)? Like, I personally know to check the label for this stuff but it's dumb that I even need to, and it wouldn't occur to a lot of people to think "I better check to see if this sandwich bread is sweetened".

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
If you told me in like 2006 that in a mere ten years I would be nostalgic for the relatively sane and moderate George W Bush, I would have probably just dropped out of society like the hippies of old.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Ohtsam posted:

Considering how many church's are both polling places and pokestops they pretty much already have.

I'd bet money that someone in the Clinton campaign has already reached out to Nintendo about officially registering all polling locations as pokestops, and possibly also releasing some sort of special new red elephant and blue donkey pokemons at those locations only

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

From the private Bernie group my friend added me to like a year ago. I cannot imagine following politics THIS CLOSELY and still thinking that any of this would be a good idea.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 13, 2016

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
It wouldn't be 'outsiders' anyway, of course, it would be people who have worked in policing for decades and are also smart and know how to run departments without widespread graft and murder. It's not like Hillz would sit down and draw the whole plan up all by herself.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

So much for her moving to the right after securing the nomination I guess.

She was gonna move right, Trump was gonna move left, and there was no actual reason ever given for this conventional wisdom besides "well, $hillary lol" for Clinton and "well, it's what a sane and intelligent person would do" for Trump

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Kilroy posted:

While we're on the subject 538 has Trump with about 22% chance to win and holding. That is really loving high.

Is it? Where did 538 have McCain and Romney in July 2008 and 2012, cause I bet it was higher than 22%.

Edit: I found this info for July 13, 2012 (not 2008) - it was Obama 67.7% to Romney 32.3%.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 13, 2016

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
It's actually pretty drat unusual how localized our police forces are, compared to most developed countries. It's silly that people act as if standardizing the police forces is some kind of crazy unworkable idea that's never been tried before, but Lol American Exceptionalism I guess

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

duz posted:

I don't know, it's hard to beat the Empire State Building shooting where cops fired 16 times and hit 10 people including the gunman. The gunman shot one person.

Gah, I remember that. It was initially reported as a mass shooting and/or a shooting with multiple gunmen. Technically true! (The one person the perp shot was his boss or coworker, he wasn't going for a mass shooting at all.)

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I have no super-conservative friends but I checked in on a friend's facebook debate with her very conservative family. Somehow it enraged me less than Berniebros. Maybe because I know the super conservative types can't be convinced and I still hold out a faint hope that the Bernie people can be.

Also I have gotten no work done while waiting for this VP announcement, drat you Hillary

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Goatman Sacks posted:

Anyone noticed the trend of terror attacks occurring on days presidents are expected to announce VPs?

Anyone noticed the trend of days presidents are expected to announce VPs ending in Y?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

They should make a new cabinet position called Sec. of Cool Grandpas and give it to him

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

As a foreigner to US politics I don't understand why Hillary can't pick Bernie as veep? Pick up his voters and remaining campaign infrastructure.

If he's the VP, he can't be in the Senate, and Senators have a hell of a lot more power to actually DO stuff than VPs do. The VP basically just sits around and waits for the President to die. It's only a desirable position if you think you can use it as a jumping-off point to something else high-profile, and Sanders is 1. already a Senator and 2. old enough that he ain't gonna run for President again

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Joementum posted:

Woah, she's going to win NC with this Erskine Bowles pick.

drat, there go my Cherie Berry shares on PredictIt

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

"Dumpster fire" is perhaps the most overused phrase of this election season and it doesn't even correctly describe what's going on. It's much more like a grease fire, where people arguing in good faith from a position of facts and logic are just pouring water on the blaze and making it worse.

And Clinton/Kaine is just the sack of white flour we need to smother it!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Pretty hilarious how they never would have gotten this idea into their heads in the first place if the mom just hadn't appeared on stage at all, even though that's exactly what their fantasy version of oppressive Muslim culture would demand.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I recognize that the Gold Star is some sort of serious honor, but it just makes me think "Good homework 10/10 gold star."

The first context I heard 'gold star' in was 'gold star lesbian' so when I hear 'gold star parent' the first thing I think of is 'parent who has only ever had sex with other parents'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I got paywall'd, can you give a summary?

open in incognito window

• Locked thread