Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Apparently it's Throwback Friday.

I do yearn for the days when an entire page of USPOL yodasex was happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Things that have the impact on my eyes that, that image have... I find to be the works of lunatics, strangely.

What is it with lunatics and bold/clashing color choices and fonts?

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 1, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
^^^
Oh come the gently caress on. It's like you have a google alert for the term "Bernie Bros" and every iteration therein and then feel the need to rush to the thread to be contrarian.

Violator posted:

I never used to take people's complaints about reddit and/or Bernie Bros seriously, but now that I've actually been paying attention to it all I've really noticed lately how terrible it all is. The entire politics section is an endless supply of threads from terrible sources detailing what a corrupt monster Hillary is with thousands of people piling on the strangest and most bizarre conspiracy theories. It's all 90's era black helicopters theories brought back ten fold. And these are from self-proclaimed liberals! Usually one or two people will come in and explain what's actually going on and they get stomped into the ground because they aren't looking deep enough or they don't see what's really going on.

I know this is common knowledge at this point, but I just realized how toxic it really all is.

If you want to see the effect it has on stupid people, check out the Daily Show segment last night of Jessica Williams last piece where she interviews Bernie supporters who are voting Trump. It's.... wow.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lASt7GYdYx0

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 1, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

gfsincere posted:

We should just be ruled by specialized committees and call it a day.

Well, we could always institute some sort of group dedicated to a single focus, like some sort of college of individuals. Focused strictly on electoral issues.

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 1, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Business Gorillas posted:

It isnt, the probation I eat for posting is the dumpstering

I mean, to be fair, you only post for one reason and one reason only which is to stalwartly defend against anyone casting aspersions against people who associate themselves with Bernie Sanders. So commonly in fact that it's kind of become your thing.

Perhaps don't do that?

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

By the by, Clinton raised almost $70 million for her campaign and the DNC in June :aaa:

Also noteworthy is that the campaign reports 44 mil on hand at the end of the month, which means the campaign spent ~$38 mil in the month. I doubt Trump even raised half of that.

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 1, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
If I may, a pic of the Cuyahoga River Fire is a perfect July USPOL av...

Jus' sayin'

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sorus posted:

Isn't focusing on optics a problem? It does matter what happened, only how it looked? It's truthiness all over again.

Disagree with Bi in that optics is perception and perception is almost always more important than content it terms of social dynamics. Content "should" be more important.

The media "should" know better than to focus on it, but they and by extension, people, are terrible and so here we are.

That said, I agree with Bi that in the big picture it's nothing because it doesn't fundamentally undermine Clinton since she's literally ground floor in this regard. Reminder that she's widely considered less trustworthy than a guy who can hold two polar opposite opinions in the same speech.

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 1, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

gfsincere posted:

Was the Civil War over states rights to institute slavery? [Y/N]

Easy. We knock off all the racists with one question.

Does the earth revolve around the sun? [Y/N]

Bam, we knock off the 25% of Americans who don't understand science on a fundamental level.

Basically, there's tons of simple rear end questions like this, that can eliminate so many of the idiots that should have been swallowed, let alone voting.[/Y/N]

Oh man, I hope you're on the politically charged panel to institute that politically charged test that measures political competency.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

Hey all you desperate liberals who start to breathe fast any time somebody says "email": get over yourselves. Hillary makes mistakes sometimes and the private server was one of them. Is she going to be indicted? I can't see it. Could the conclusions of the investigation be damaging? Yes. Stop acting like everyone who hasn't blinded themselves to Hillary's faults believes she's going to prison.

Well I guess that's that. Close the thread down everybody, we're done here.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I just want to mention that I spent my 4th of July flying to a communist country. Whats that make leftist my power level? Over 9000?

E: Oh poo poo just saw the announcement, is Fox News melting down?

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 5, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hey guys, I know that pic used for the sniper is pretty heinous... But devil's advocate here, has anyone checked his FB? Like... It's possible that, that is the photo he used on social media which would be his last characterization of himself.

Otherwise, yeah carry on.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

call to action posted:

Why are the vets coming back today so traumatized? Far, far more people saw combat in WWII and yet society didn't start to unravel because of it, as it is today.

I read an article a year ago that bored down into this very idea both across time and societies.

Some of the conclusions reached spoke to the lack of empathy in US society now compared to then. Only about .5% of the population serves in the military now and many families do not have a member who is/has served. The lack of general understanding at home (adoration doesnt substitute) and lack of support contribute to an isolation-like feeling.

Ever see vets get together and trade stories? Maybe you'll hear them say that they just can't talk about that with their friends/family because they can't comprehend.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hopefully protesting CNN's shittiness and demanding Zucker's resignation.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Remember when the old Hostess Brands went under and the unions were blamed for not conceding to the owners' demands? Well, there's a new WaPo article out detailing how successful they are now (by laying off 95% of their workforce for the sake of economic efficiencies)

I really dont see the issue here, can anyone elaborate?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

a self-described liberal, ladies and gentlemen

Cool.

litany of gulps posted:

If you're serious - the management of Hostess was giving themselves giant raises while attempting to massively cut pay, pension, and healthcare benefits to workers. Basically, the leadership was attempting to drain as much as they could out of the company and run it into the ground before escaping with enormous personal profits. It worked, and thousands of people lost their jobs.

This is the context I needed. Thanks.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 10, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I've been kind of reading the thread while in down times.

The last 1000+ posts seemed really... I don't know, odd I guess, when trying to discuss some of these racial tension issues with a couple from South Africa that I've been hopping around with the last few days.

I did hear a lot of similar arguments from both sides of the issue from multiple nationalities and I find that fascinating in a "human problem not US problem" sort of way. It does seem that as bad as it is currently, it can be so, so much worse yet. Anyway I hope when I get back not everone will have been shot :ohdear:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

KiteAuraan posted:

And you would also have to teach the Bush Years, and LOL @ that. If taught correctly would essentially do to the Republican party what Rome did to Carthage.

Sack it, salt the Earth, remove it from existence, and force it's greatest leader to commit suicide? Seems a bit much.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

blue squares posted:

Ugh... I can't laugh at that poo poo.

Sometimes you gotta just laugh man.

People died in the Hindenburg too. Doesnt make "Oh the huge manatee!" any less amazing.

Boon fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 15, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hootington posted:

Man this is the time for Fried Chicken to be around. He could have given us all the dirt.

Mike Pence is the least terrible choice put of the three for Trump. newt had so much baggage and Christie might be going to jail still.

Mike pence is also the worst choice through opinions and his work.

Seriously, where is Fried Chicken?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Every post Ive ever seen involving Erdogan was mostly about how big of a poo poo he was, so

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
^^^
You're being really needlessly aggressive. Especially over a term which isnt gender-specific

Trabisnikof posted:

You're a loving tool (and probably a sexist shitbag) if you call Cokie Roberts an airhead.

Sorry she didn't say exactly what you wanted to hear!

:lol:

She's pretty bad fairly often though. I regularly expect her to have a terrible opinion every Sunday

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 19, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Party Plane Jones posted:

They really bury the lede there with 21 Century Fox waiving NDAs; Ailes is going to be out on his rear end by next week probably.

Im fascinated by the Kimberley Gilfoyle piece. I always waffle on who I despise most on that network, Hannity or her.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So has everone read 'What's the Matter with Kansas?'

It's a bit dated (2004) but it's fundamental premise hasn't changed much and I just came upon the 'culture backlash' mechanics argument about half-way through that I find intriguing. It's basically that the GOP has spent most of the 80's/90's developing the unwinnable culture war, completely devoid of economics, and set against the nebulous, all powerful liberalism. It serves to anger people by creating endless strings of isolated events which oppress their moral sensibility and way of life but always attributes it to an idea which is unnassailable by definition and therefore creates never-ending stream of outrage which supercedes their more grounded interests. By stripping economics from the argument it removes both culpability by the GOP and big business, and the reasoning/mechanics by which the problems could be solved. A lot of it has been discussed on the periphery ad nauseum in here and elsewhere but never cogently and narratively.

Interestingly, while this section goes a long way to explain how we got to this moment, it strikes me that this election is going to see a shift. It seems to me that this discussed 'culture backlash' is dying out and economics is returning to the fore. Regardless of how the cycle plays out, we might see capitalism rather than liberalism return as the nebulous, all powerful boogeyman.

Boon fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 21, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pakled posted:

Yeah, him refusing to endorse Trump is setting up (an attempt at) keeping himself nationally relevant after the election. If Trump loses in as big of a landslide as it's looking like he will, he and everyone associated with him will be completely discredited, and Cruz will be able to say "I never abandoned my core conservative principles when my party was hijacked by that liberal Trump."

Who knows if it's actually going to work, but I don't think we can count him out permanently just yet.

That was my thought too. There is little risk in this as 4 years is a long ways off, Trump can be easily cast as a RINO and a clown, and Cruz can actually claim the uber-conservative crown.

If Trump were to somehow win it would almost assuredly be disasterous and Cruz can claim to be the responsible one who knew better than to support such an abject failure.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

What do you guys think of the benefits of the following possibility:

Trump wins in November, but Dems hold the senate. Dems block the SC nominations for the next four years, and the generals in the pentagon will make sure Trump doesn't do anything too crazy with the nuclear codes. Trump's approval rating immediately dips and because they're now the opposition party, Dems make huge gains in 2018. Trump continues to be unpopular with the American people and Dems ride to major victory in 2020 on all three branches of the federal government, win lots of legislative seats and governorships and manage to gerrymander house seats in their favor, sealing in their power for the next decade. President Warren gets elected and with now large majorities in the senate, are able to appoint not just one, but maybe even 2 or 3 SC justices (filling in seats for Scalia, RBG and Thomas). Dems secure power for a generation.

Thoughts?

I disagreed immediately with the idea that the first sentence could even happen. The rest is just derivatively more far-fetched and borderline insane.

E: Like, take for a moment the idea that somehow Trump could win and not carry the already favorable Senate prospects for the GOP. Advocating for immediate blocking of SCOTUS noms for 4 years would not work (IF you could hold that caucus in line against likely losses in 2018, you would still suffer losses in 2018 breaking the majority BECAUSE of the non-vote).

Let's additionally say that somehow all of this impossible poo poo broke as you hypothesize. Would you really celebrate a relatively short-term win (SCOTUS noms) in the face of the Democratic party abandoning any remaining p retense to responsible government? The long-term implication is that Congress would be irrevocably broken at the hands of the liberal party (regardless of the GOP erosion that got us here) and nothing short of institutional reform would save it.

Boon fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 21, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There is no scenario in which Trump winning is 'good'. In fact, the argument I've been making abroad every time the topic comrs up is that non-Americans should be just as concerned about a Trump presidency as Americans. While things will get worse for Americans as a whole, an unstable US under a Trump presidency is guaranteed to impact them in ways Americans will never see.

Boon fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 21, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
How much of Hillary's campaign spending thus far has gone to ad buys post convention?

Also, we know that Trump hasnt expanded much on his campaign efforts since his cash on hand numbers and June fundraising numbers indicate that as of July 1st he hadn't worked on infrastructure. Hilldawg on the other hand is actively investing to the tune of ~20+ million for two consecutive months and maintaing a war chest double that of Trumps. All with the DNCC yet to happen. Plus she gained access to OFAs massive database this past month.

Basically, she has a lot of assets that arent being currently figured.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Its because he really doesn't need to buy ads because he can just get the news media to cover what he's doing whenever he wants. Also, though he isn't running a campaign office and ground crew because it costs millions of dollars and he hasn't taken in really poo poo for donations.

I can't imagine what the debates are going to be.

The point of the ad buy question (I havent seen any and dont have a feel for the current schedule on US channels and especially battleground states) that Hillary big weakness is not that her opponent is a likeable guy, but that she's seen as his level of unlikeable. When her ad blitz begins I would expect it to focus on her rather than him and to find her favorables and her poll numbers to shift accordingly (so long as the conventional idea holds). Either way, even a small bump by November and locking in her base should be enough.

So the question I really have, is when is that ad blitz supposed to start? August? September?

Kilroy posted:

Also it's nice that Hillary has a lot of money, but some other candidate whose Name! I can't recall spent a lot of money recently only to see his career utterly destroyed.

While that's true, I think it's fair to state that money is a key enabler and not the mechanism of winning. Turns out if your candidate can't handle and adapt to a populist force, all the money in the world can't save you. I don't think Hillary has shown herself to be openly dunked on by the GOP, much less Trump.

Boon fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 22, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

misty mountaintop posted:

No he's not. He's one of the slimiest, most corrupt people in all of politics. If anyone else had done this you might think it was because their heart was in the right place, but with McAuliffe, bank on it being because most of those people will vote Democrat.

Why? Because he was a bundler?

He's been a pretty great governor so perhaps you should elaborate on your claim...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LeJackal posted:

Propagandists care about the difference, or at least erasing it.

Seems like a wierd hill to die on LeJackal, then again, you are white-knighting for a horrible human being.

Carry on.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
800 new posts in USPOL! I wonder what happ...

*Inexplicable Bernie Sanders/Hillary Clinton slapfight*

Oh.

:yikes:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CelestialScribe posted:

Legitimate question:

Am I wrong in thinking a Trump presidency will result in nuclear war?

It's clear as day to me that him winning will both result in nuclear war and the end of western civilization. I say that unironically.

This is some high school level political thought right here

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Anything interesting happen on the Sunday morning shows? I just saw the IOC took a pass on bearing any responsibility for banning the Russians and instead dropped that steaming pile onto the individual organizations. Pretty in line with what Id expect from them.

Also, since everyone was being such idiots earlier have a couple pictures of cool elephants being cool to remind you that the GOP ruins everything good:

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 24, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GalacticAcid posted:

Here's a really good essay about elephants in Burma.

Thanks! Although I started reading and hit a paywall. Can you perhaps message me the text, it definitely interrsts me!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

yup that's exactly what i'm doing, you got me

Like I said a month ago, I just assume you have a google alert set for "Bro" and then you come running into this thread to decry persecution. It's basically the only time you post in USPOL.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BMS posted:

I'm just really looking forward to seeing a debate between these two. Will Trump's off the cuff "style" put a highlight around just how extremely old and stagnant Hillary's rehersed, every-other-political-speech variety, plastic faced statements are, or will he go over the top, implode, and make Hillary's rehersed, every-other-political-speech variety, plastic faced statements seem the better choice.

Either way, it's probably going to be hilarious.

Im not sure what I find more repugnant in this post. The assumed haughtiness? The cliche-style speech? The misspellings? The fundamental misunderstanding of the situation? Or maybe the lack of any real critical thought?

It's just all comes together so well to make the perfect poo poo post. I don't think you've ever actually watched Hillary or Trump engage one-on-one and just watch news clips based on your post.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Im okay with Trump jumping into a lead at the tail end of July. It's hard to be front-runner from beginning to end as the narrative rarely supports you and neither does enthusiasm.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FAUXTON posted:

This. They will be grasping for anything to blame, and Cruz is a convenient-as-hell scapegoat.

Next man up. Get in there T-Cot

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I find it interesting that my sister who is heading into her final year of pharmacy school has been treated with complete disregard for her profession by pretty much every foreigner who has asked what she does.

We ran into a couple of UK med students that literally rolled their eyes and kind of ignored her the rest of the convo. Posh cunts.

Apparently pharmacy isn't in high regard around the world (whereas in the US it commands a entry-level six figure salary, a lot of school debt, and is increasingly becoming a part of medical teams).

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

tekz posted:

Pretty good article on the insane spin coming out of the democratic establishment: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2016/07/democrats-are-redbaiting-like-its-fiftysix

I'm only half way through the article right now and will finish in a moment, but this article is poo poo.

First, to this point, the article's source of spin is not the democratic establishment, but independent media outlets.

Second, and this is important, of course the left-leaning sources are outraged, they were the victim in this

Third, the article is hand-waving away the entire narrative and tying it to 50s era political theater. In fact, there ARE a series of ties and there IS incentive for Russia. Even if it's not direct or overt, Russia stands to gain more in the scope of this single election than at any point in the last two decades.

I'll edit in if anything in the second half changes this opinion.

E: Nope the article is poo poo through and through. The analogy used at the end is emblematic of the whole article.

Ill add that elections are perhaps the single most defining features of our democracy and that foriegn shaping of those results should be fully engaged, on the merits of course, but this kind of mealy-mouthed turning a blind eye is absurd.

Boon fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 27, 2016

• Locked thread