Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfOsjVT8mlU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcJEZYPe6IE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3ydvexj9d8

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

alcharagia posted:

This is a thread where you can talk about [spoilers] for [Zero Time Dilemma.]

For instance: Mira is a serial killer who tears peoples' hearts out. Phi has red hair and is Sigma and Diana's baby from the doublepastfuture and is her own adoptive mom. You The Player were Brother all along. OHNOMAN from Illbleed cameos.

Please discuss why Uchikoshi sucks and deserves to die.

wait phi is her own adoptive mom? I missed that part, that's amazing. The journey that stupid brooch must have taken - I wonder where it came from first, if it's going from young phi to diania to old phi to young phi to diana.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Wolpertinger posted:

wait phi is her own adoptive mom? I missed that part, that's amazing. The journey that stupid brooch must have taken - I wonder where it came from first, if it's going from young phi to diania to old phi to young phi to diana.

dang the phi from 1904 who stays behind after the transporter is used continues to be a researcher all the way up until 2004 and adopts herself when she arrives from 1904.

didn't realise that

the brooch doesn't appear to have any actual origin.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Delta killing Gab as a final gently caress you in the self destruct time line made me laugh because of how cartoonishly evil it was.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Delta killing Gab as a final gently caress you in the self destruct time line made me laugh because of how cartoonishly evil it was.

The guy in the thread who suggested it was to make it so the 9 there had absolutely nothing holding them back from SHIFTing out had the most plausible theory I can think of for that. A couple of the people there wouldn't want to leave the dog to die.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I for one love that after two games of a non-Zero crazy person antagonist and Zero being actually kind of sympathetic, now we straight up have a 124-year-old Bond villain with the power to Mind Hack

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's really weird how everyone just kind of glosses over the fact that Mira is an emotionless serial killer once they all get memories of the other timelines.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's really weird how everyone just kind of glosses over the fact that Mira is an emotionless serial killer once they all get memories of the other timelines.

yep

also her claim of emotionless is really weird. she just seems a) a bit number than most other characters and b) to be a sociopath. She still gets shocked, mad, wants to live etc. And touch hearts.

she's like sylar but with hearts

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also the fact that the entire "?" ending part of VLR basically never got re-addressed at all.

I know it's a nod to e17 with Blick Winkel and all that but I expected it to actually come up at some point here.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Well, if Mira was so unchecked that she was legit able to just go out and murder people for 17 years, she probably never got any, like, help or even a proper diagnosis, so coming to her own conclusions, I don't think "I don't feel emotions" is a particular stretch to arrive at

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I worry for Sean, but he's a strong boy who got through a lot of nasty situations, so I'm sure that his family being a pile of nutcases and Carlos won't hurt him too bad.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also the fact that the entire "?" ending part of VLR basically never got re-addressed at all.

I know it's a nod to e17 with Blick Winkel and all that but I expected it to actually come up at some point here.

More specifically VLR's ending also claims that Kyle went back to Dcom separately from ?. It did seem possible for a while that Sean was hosting him somehow; that could potentially explain why Sean 729 seems to be conscious when none of the other Sean units are. Nothing was even confirmed, though.

There was also nothing specific about Akane's plan to get Clover and Alice back from the future. The Transporter seems like the most likely option for this, and it would be entirely in character for Akane to knock them both out, copy them to the past then kill the originals in their sleep. The 20th century researchers must be completely bemused at the array of random people that keep climbing out of their output pods.

The bottom line is that Uchikoshi made a lot of promises in interviews that "this question will be answered in the third game", and I guess there just wasn't enough room to hold them all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I guess we just have to wait for the post mortum Q&A where he just kinda shrugs and goes "well I forgot about that, but I guess <X> is the reason"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
VLR still the best game in the series.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Something I really disliked about this, even though I absolutely loved it, was Phi, Sigma, and Akane, were far too emotional. Phi and Sigma both came back from the future, and didn't get amnesiad about their shifter powers so it's just really weird to me that they get so worked up over some of the choices. But that wouldn't be terribly entertaining I suppose.

Akane going psycho in some paths just seemed odd considering all the poo poo she pulled.

Also the comment Delta made telling Akane to wear the Free The Soul robe and attend the meeting felt completely pointless, maybe it's to patch up something mentioned in VLR that I forgot, or literally just to show the existence of the robe that Mira used in that one timeline to kill D team.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
akane is wearing free the soul robes in the last scene of VLR (in the past) and that's it, that's all it explains.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

akane is wearing free the soul robes in the last scene of VLR (in the past) and that's it, that's all it explains.

Oh right. I remember that now.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Looking back on the series I don't actually have nearly as many unanswered questions as I thought. Aside from Kyle and Clover/Alice/All-Ice you've got "What happened to X after 999?", to which the answer is usually "helping Crash Keys", and "Why did Free the Soul do X?", to which the answer is usually "because Delta felt like it". I can't think of any others that bother me right now?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm glad that this game confirms that robopeople can move around outside of where their consciousness is contained via SATELLITE, because that means Luna can leave and not be stuck with Akane "gently caress You" Kurashiki and Oldma. Maybe move down the street from Tenmyouji and Quark. Bring awkward brephew Kyle along. The new hit post-apoc slice of life anime.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Something I really disliked about this, even though I absolutely loved it, was Phi, Sigma, and Akane, were far too emotional. Phi and Sigma both came back from the future, and didn't get amnesiad about their shifter powers so it's just really weird to me that they get so worked up over some of the choices. But that wouldn't be terribly entertaining I suppose.

Akane going psycho in some paths just seemed odd considering all the poo poo she pulled.

Also the comment Delta made telling Akane to wear the Free The Soul robe and attend the meeting felt completely pointless, maybe it's to patch up something mentioned in VLR that I forgot, or literally just to show the existence of the robe that Mira used in that one timeline to kill D team.

I think Akane going psycho was basically to show how attached she was to Junpei even though she's a conniving mastermind also. Like the AB game ending where she brains Carlos, I thought that was amazing, and totally made me think about how much she must've thought about Junpei all those years if that was the reaction she was immediately going to flip to.

Do you have to have somewhere in mind to SHIFT to to use those powers? Cos I think part of the reason for the amnesia drugs was to cut down on the alternate histories they could jump to.

I really liked that SHIFTing had a visual effect added this time, but it kinda looked like a persona power. lmao

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I was under the assumption that SHIFTing was automatic, considering that when Sigma explains it he talks about how he would find himself in situations where he was about to die only to wake up somewhere else, not sure why or how it happened. But it also seems to be able to be directed?

Honestly the whole "and uh..if you're near SHIFTers you also shift!" stuff felt like Uchikoshi wrote himself into a corner with having Eric and Mira not be SHIFTers but didn't want to just leave them stuck there.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Old man Carlos shows up as the sitcom nemesis because Junpei can't stand that fucker, he's in his 70's and he's still so chiseled, proud, and American.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I was under the assumption that SHIFTing was automatic, considering that when Sigma explains it he talks about how he would find himself in situations where he was about to die only to wake up somewhere else, not sure why or how it happened. But it also seems to be able to be directed?

Honestly the whole "and uh..if you're near SHIFTers you also shift!" stuff felt like Uchikoshi wrote himself into a corner with having Eric and Mira not be SHIFTers but didn't want to just leave them stuck there.

i dunno why because gently caress both eric and mira

i get that eric had a loving shithouse life (because of mira, haha) but seriously that guy had a shotgun in my face for like 60% of the game

/edit actually you did remind me that if C team gets executed both Sigma tells Phi to get ready to jump before their heads explode and Di's just like wut

Jintor fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 1, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah, I could never bring myself to care about Mira or Eric in the slightest. They basically made up a team that was two-thirds Dios; if it weren't for Sean I would probably have just blown all of Q team's heads off and ignored them for the rest of the game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Sean's a sweet boy.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

now that i think about it uchikoshi was asking about the ancient aliens guy on twitter like two or three weeks ago

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

NRVNQSR posted:

Yeah, I could never bring myself to care about Mira or Eric in the slightest. They basically made up a team that was two-thirds Dios; if it weren't for Sean I would probably have just blown all of Q team's heads off and ignored them for the rest of the game.

I believe this was entirely intentional, using Q as a sympathetic protagonist in a team of batshit alienating and abusive parental figures.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The thing that confused me most while playing was the VLR canon ending because initially it appeared that Akane and Junpei were dead. I had all kinds of theories about why Sigma assumed this was that timeline. For a long while I was suspicious that this wasn't even really Akane and Junpei because Akane says in VLR that she wasn't there and Junpei knows nothing about it.

But no it's just transportalizing. I assume Akane told Sigma at some point that in the VLR timeline she and Junpei would appear to be dead but don't worry they're fine. And then she drugs Junpei and lies to everyone because gently caress you

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Also when the Transportalizer was first revealed I was also suspicious and suspected some elaborate Zero trickery but no They're Out There

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

Looking back on the series I don't actually have nearly as many unanswered questions as I thought. Aside from Kyle and Clover/Alice/All-Ice you've got "What happened to X after 999?", to which the answer is usually "helping Crash Keys", and "Why did Free the Soul do X?", to which the answer is usually "because Delta felt like it". I can't think of any others that bother me right now?

The thing that bothers me the most is that for a man who was so obsessed with the death of his weird adoptive brother that he created an army of clones of him over a hundred years after his death, he sure as hell doesn't seem to care about him in the slightest and like is very flippantly dismissive when someone brings him up.

NRVNQSR posted:

Dio was at least a funny/interesting/weird character. Like come on, his cover story was that he was a circus ringleader. That's goofy as gently caress.

Regy Rusty posted:

Also when the Transportalizer was first revealed I was also suspicious and suspected some elaborate Zero trickery but no They're Out There

I was honestly surprised by how much the whole alien technology out of nowhere thing didn't bother me. On paper it's the kind of plot device that would piss me off but it was just ridiculous enough that I was ok with it. The big issue with it is that it all but tells you who Delta is, so when it's revealed later it makes it kind of fall flat.

alcharagia posted:

I for one love that after two games of a non-Zero crazy person antagonist and Zero being actually kind of sympathetic, now we straight up have a 124-year-old Bond villain with the power to Mind Hack

Don't forget his weird Evil Eyes he has for *reasons*

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 1, 2016

Jintor
May 19, 2014

man i wonder what old phi thought about her brother

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regy Rusty posted:

The thing that confused me most while playing was the VLR canon ending because initially it appeared that Akane and Junpei were dead. I had all kinds of theories about why Sigma assumed this was that timeline. For a long while I was suspicious that this wasn't even really Akane and Junpei because Akane says in VLR that she wasn't there and Junpei knows nothing about it.

I had the same reaction and loving freaked out when Akane and Junpei got to that timeline and I realized what was going on.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So for those who are still confused as to how everything ties together, Wikipedia actually has a pretty good summary. This also nicely ties up the rough timeline.

In addition, apparently someone worked out that Zero Time Dilemma can be unscrambled to 'Me, I'm Zero. I'm Delta.'.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Regy Rusty posted:

my fave thing is just how many times Sigma has basically cloned himself by this point, there should be an entire timeline where everyone is a clone of Sigma
i would play that game

ApplesandOranges posted:

In addition, apparently someone worked out that Zero Time Dilemma can be unscrambled to 'Me, I'm Zero. I'm Delta.'.

UCHIKOSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

edit: is there anyone who did not PRESS THE BUTTON the second they were able
that explosion was the funniest moment of the game for me

vaguely fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 1, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Of all the retrospectively humorous posts I made in the other thread, this is my favorite:

Regy Rusty posted:

I just got to the BIGGEST REVELATION IN ZERO ESCAPE HISTORY

This changes EVERYTHING

D team, post trash room Phi has RED HAIR!? :eyepop:

I know someone is going to take me seriously, the thing under tags is not significant at all

I didn't realize how significant it was until well after I beat the game. :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regy Rusty posted:

Of all the retrospectively humorous posts I made in the other thread, this is my favorite:

I didn't realize how significant it was until well after I beat the game. :v:

God loving dammit

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
The more time I have to think about the story now that I've completed it, I think I'm a little disappointed.

The interactions with Akane and Junpei were erratic as gently caress. I know we're talking about different timelines, but they would ping pong between being close and bickering over if they should kill the other teams or not. Considering Akane's past with using people as pawns to get what she wants, I didn't quite understand her reluctance to do what was necessary to move forward in the game. You can argue that she did what she did in 999 for the greater good, and in the true end she didn't cause anyone to die, but even in Q&As Uchikoshi implied that Akane is a lot more cold than she lets on, so having Junpei be the cold one and Akane being the voice of reason felt a little odd. There were several points where I was hoping Junpei would call her out on what she did to everyone a year ago when she was being a goody two-shoes.

Speaking of doing things for the greater good, can we just have one game where people do lovely things because they're lovely people?

Zero 1 was Santa/Akane who made everyone play a death game in order to save Akane's life in the past, so she wasn't actually bad after all!
Zero 3 was Sigma/Akane, who made a death game to train Sigma on how to SHIFT so that he could use the power to stop a terrorist organization from killing 6 billion people, so he wasn't actually bad after all!
Now Zero 2 turns out to be the leader of the terrorist organization who killed 6 billion people, and he makes people play a death game so that he can kill those 6 billion people to save 2 billion people from dying(so retroactively, killing 6 billion people wasn't bad), oh and also give 9 people the motivation, knowledge and powers to try and stop a fanatic from killing everyone on the planet, retroactively removing the need to kill the 6 billion people, so I guess he wasn't actually bad after all!

In VLR, Junpei points out that these timelines people jump away from are still real for the people left behind, they still happen, and ultimately these people are putting several different versions of themselves through hell just so they can get to the history they're comfortable with, and in that sense everyone involved in this story is a bad person, but we never have an antagonist who is out and out evil. Morally grey areas are good and interesting, but I never felt like I got a real pay off of turning it around on my tormentor in any of the games, except maybe 999 and Ace, who was, in my opinion, a secondary antagonist. I went through the stories, found a way to make things better, and the guy who put me in this awful situation then goes, "Thanks bro, you did exactly what the world needed you to do" and pats me on the back.

The only real antagonist in the Zero Escape series is fate. An unfeeling, uncaring, intangible concept that the Zeroes of the series have been fighting tooth and nail to stop from killing humanity. And even that's not true, they're just fighting to make a history where it doesn't happen to them. Fate doesn't win or lose, and beating it doesn't feel satisfying.

The journey of these games have always been amazing, but I feel like they don't always stick the landing when it comes to the destination.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The more I think about it, the more the Sean/Delta plot twist seems cheap and a cop-out just to have a twist.

Sean is exclusively there to trick the player, he serves no other purpose than to fill in the player's "There are 3 people on each team" assumption. From the perspective of the characters and Delta, there is no reason to have a suspicious kid with a metal head as a fourth participant in one of the teams.

Another question - why is Delta there as a team member when he has a camera feed into his glasses and is clearly able to mind hack people at a distance (If the idea that he mind hacked Diana and Carlos into picking the "bad" options in the first vote is to be believed), and why the hell did he, if he is so interested in shifters, decide to participate in the only team with no people with shifting abilities?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sean has shifting abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my god a friend just pointed out another Q/Delta clue to me:

In the bad end where you try to shoot Mira in the standoff, he was confused the first time through as to why the voice announced Q's death before he was actually dead as "Q" (Sean) was still barely alive at that point.

But if you go back and look at the scene Mira shoots twice and you can hear the clatter of Delta falling out of his chair. And it's his death that gets announced

loving Uchikoshi

• Locked thread