Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jintor
May 19, 2014

I think Sean is there so Delta can fulfil his promise to the kid in the hospital, after a fashion. He also has some side objective involving quantum computing that I think is probably related to player metanarrative

what the participants think doesn't matter, it's Zero's game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah, Delta seems to have genuinely liked Sean. Hence the "Happy End" where he lives the perfect life in the quantum computer forever. He seemed remarkably chill with Mira, considering that she was the dick who ruined everyone's lives, but I guess he must have come to terms with the fact that if she hadn't have done that he'd never have existed.

Stable timeloops are weird.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

except that one timeline where he strangled her for no apparent reason

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I found the Happy End hilariously bleak, that and THE BUTTON were the two funniest moments of the game to me.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jintor posted:

I think Sean is there so Delta can fulfil his promise to the kid in the hospital, after a fashion. He also has some side objective involving quantum computing that I think is probably related to player metanarrative

what the participants think doesn't matter, it's Zero's game

Did he promise the kid in the hospital that before he could live his happy life, he had to go through a nerve wrecking set of trials accompanied by a mentally unstable guy and a literal serial killer? Sean could just be the clean-up crew that no player actually interacts with, there's no reason for him to participate in the game.

MrAristocrates posted:

I found the Happy End hilariously bleak, that and THE BUTTON were the two funniest moments of the game to me.

"OK, so not pushing it is clearly the best choice. Now let me just check what happens when I push it so I can fill in that fragment tree. I wonder what kind of deadly trap Zero's set uEXPLOSION OUT OF NOWHERE"

ymgve fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 1, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh my god a friend just pointed out another Q/Delta clue to me:

In the bad end where you try to shoot Mira in the standoff, he was confused the first time through as to why the voice announced Q's death before he was actually dead as "Q" (Sean) was still barely alive at that point.

But if you go back and look at the scene Mira shoots twice and you can hear the clatter of Delta falling out of his chair. And it's his death that gets announced

loving Uchikoshi

Also happens right before the Delta reveal. If you give Eric the wrong answer, he fires the gun four times (Sigma, Diana, Sean, Delta), which made me think he shot Gab at first.

After seeing the scene that followed, though, it made sense.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was at first a little disappointed with the AB game that they seemed to just recreate the Alice betrays you/you betray Alice moment from VLR except weaker because Carlos is in the role of Alice instead of the role of Sigma. That was one of my favorite moments in VLR and I was sad they just repeated it, but then when the game takes that opportunity to veer off into the C-Team jumping poo poo it became amazing.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

ymgve posted:

"OK, so not pushing it is clearly the best choice. Now let me just check what happens when I push it so I can fill in that fragment tree. I wonder what kind of deadly trap Zero's set uEXPLOSION OUT OF NOWHERE"

Hey man, he clearly said to not touch the button.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Eric is my favourite character. Why the gently caress are he and Mira in the game? It's not like some "I saw you so you had to be here" like in 999.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Another foreshadow: Diana and Sigma are surprised by Sean's presence and have to be introduced to him, even though they should know by context clues about the existence of 'Q'.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

"SIGMA IS OLD!"

:supaburn::aaaaa::supaburn:

"DELTA WAS THERE ALL ALONG"

:raise::what::raise:

Like, I get it, and it WAS foreshadowed, but it was just sorta... huh?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like I'd be way more willing to forgive the Delta twist if Delta worked at all as a character, but no, he kinda just sucks

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
phi's being sigma's and diana's daughter is weird as hell and I hate it

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Him calling his mind control and mind reading powers "MIND HACKING" sounded like an old man trying really hard to be cool and hip for the kids.

That might be the canonical reason he called it that, but it still was kinda lame.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I enjoyed having Wesker tell me about his ~MIND HACKING~, that was nice.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Vaguido posted:

Him calling his mind control and mind reading powers "MIND HACKING" sounded like an old man trying really hard to be cool and hip for the kids.

That might be the canonical reason he called it that, but it still was kinda lame.

Delta is like Hot Topic Levels of Edgy.

This whole game is Hot Topic levels of Edgy.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

hey listen give grandpa delta a break

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I just realized that the whole snail story means that Sean and Delta loving met in a Japanese hospital. lol.

Also that Eric's mom was running in Japan too. Which means Mira also murdering fools in Japan.

These games take place in America.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Actually I sorta expected the finale to this game would be (spoilers for Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective) one where everything was built up to someone SHIFTing back into the past and stomping that piece of poo poo snail.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I really like that the one to reveal the true zero is a child robot that somehow knows the information.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Terper posted:

Actually I sorta expected the finale to this game would be (spoilers for Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective) one where everything was built up to someone SHIFTing back into the past and stomping that piece of poo poo snail.

I was 100% certain this game was going to involve cancelling out all the nonary games

well, hopeful

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I just realized that the whole snail story means that Sean and Delta loving met in a Japanese hospital. lol.

Also that Eric's mom was running in Japan too. Which means Mira also murdering fools in Japan.

These games take place in America.

Isn't the simpler answer that Akane's father was visiting the US

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
So did Sigma travel back in time to bang the crush that his robot daughter is based on or am I missing something?

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

So did Sigma travel back in time to bang the crush that his robot daughter is based on or am I missing something?

he didn't do it to do it, but he ended up doing it, which is to say, he ended up doing her.

what can i say, sigma's a weird dude. i gave up on thinking about his consciousness as 60-whatever by the end anyway

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Sigma is so horny his sheer horniness cannot be contained by time and space.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The ending was weirdly built up to. If the Force Quit Boxes had been introduced later through quantum whatevers, or by just not bringing attention to them until we approached the cusp of endgame, then I think it had worked better to build up to the finale. In VLR, all the game is built up to them finally getting to trust each other and getting everyone to 9 BP and they finally get to open the door, but the X-Door felt kinda... useless in this game. Or heck, replace the X-Door entirely with the Quit Boxes, that way finally putting all the pieces together and unlocking it feels like something that had been building throughout the entire game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it makes me laugh how insanely complicated phi's existence is

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

From Sigma's perpective, he first meets Luna who he later learns is based on Diana. Whether he develops feelings for Luna is unknown (Luna is in love with Old Sigma though in her robot way). Anyway then he jumps back to 2029 and goes to the moon. Diana, fresh from the ZTD ending with the virus escaping, seeks him out on the moon with Akane's help and lives with him there for 3 years. That's when the two of them fall in love for the first time from Sigma's perspective. She dies and he pines for her so creates Luna. Then he jumps back to 2028 to try and change everything, and in the process gets another chance to be with the woman he loves. This plays out in the trapped ending, and presumably in the final happy ending they get to live a happy life together.

It's a weird path for a relationship to be sure :v:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Someone link to Phi's attempt to explain herself at the end of VLR here, I want to see if I can make sense of it now.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Yeah, the romance between Sigma and Diana is pretty awkward. Doesn't help that it starts with Sigma talking about domestic abuse, and then Diana come on Sigma due to stress of being trapped in a bomb shelter. Alongside Eric's and Mira's relationship and uh :stare:

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah, the romance between Sigma and Diana is pretty awkward. Doesn't help that it starts with Sigma talking about domestic abuse, and then Diana come on Sigma due to stress of being trapped in a bomb shelter. Alongside Eric's and Mira's relationship and uh :stare:

eh, it was fine. I was pretty surprised at how quickly it moved from sigma letting down his barriers to 'yes let's bone on this alien pod' (i was very, very surprised there was a straight up sex scene however tasteful in a ze game) though. Also, I don't think it was like Di wasn't attracted to Sigma before.

the funniest thing about carlos going nuts in the killbox line was that i was just as confused as akane and junpei. Also it was entirely pointless.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I had Diana and Sigma enter the VIP shower a couple of times.

It was cute. Weird, but cute.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Terper posted:

I had Diana and Sigma enter the VIP shower a couple of times.

It was cute. Weird, but cute.

i was disappointed there was no escalating series of wet jokes

Also disappointed to realise I left my copy of VLR in another country and it wasn't installed on my Vita like I thought it was. I wanted to check the post-game again quickly

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
So, how did Carlos know about the door behind the family portrait, again? I must have missed how he knew to send that note to Q-team via Gab after he jumped to that reality after being attacked by the angry Sean-bot.

Also, my thought regarding the whole "you murder someone every time you jump" problem is mostly explained by the notion that individual bodies are just the way that your consciousness interacts with each particular universe, and that what makes you "you" is some kind of extra-dimensional consciousness that exists in all histories at once. This was alluded to a few times but not really brought to its logical conclusion, I thought, with all the questions about what makes you "you" - is it your memories, or something more? Therefore, when you switch timelines, you're just shuffling around the manner in which your consciousness is perceiving the multiple timelines of the universe, rather than murdering someone.

Also, the whole "aliens did it" explanation for the transporter was dumb. Hopefully there's a more satisfying explanation buried in subtext somewhere.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also was there any greater significance to delta being from 1904 other than letting him: a) be really old and presumably have lots of time and nazi science to help him build his zero time dilemma, b) let phi become her own adoptive mother, just to make that whole thing even more convoluted.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

1904 posted:

October 1 – Phi Delta Epsilon, the international medical fraternity, is founded by Aaron Brown and eight of his friends at Cornell University Medical College.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The biggest problem with this game is that there are absolutely no stakes in anything and there's never a sense of urgency. In the final stretch of the game and getting deep into it almost all of the characters just stop caring about dying because "eh we'll just go to another time." and team C actively hunts for ways to nuke themselves.

By the end of the game I was basically invested for the twists and almost nothing else because there was hardly a reason to care because when the characters have infinite lives and are aware of that then tension from scenes is just gone.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Epsilon; the secret third child from a history we didn't get to see

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lmao wait now that I think about it did Real American Hero Carlos actually shift to the VLR ending by running into a wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also the funniest moments for me were

Who Killed Mira: Gab
Eric's response and confusion followed by Sean just kind of shrugging and getting shot is amazing in it's own dark way.

also "Akane you are going to live, me and Carlos... will block bullets" "...THE gently caress?"

Terper posted:

Lmao wait now that I think about it did Real American Hero Carlos actually shift to the VLR ending by running into a wall?

He's running into a different room, he clarifies it later. It does look like that though.

• Locked thread