Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hahahaha Uchikoshi is an absolute madman. He really did it, leaving a sequel hook at the end of a game which almost never got made in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Collecting my thoughts after I beat the game now. It kind of reminds me of MGS V in a lot of ways. In VLR, when the credits rolled I knew the game wasn't over, that there was hidden epilogues and I was right. In ZTD when the credits rolled for the true ending, I also thought it couldn't possibly be over. Imagine my surprise that no, that really was it. There was no more to the game. Although my thoughts on ZTD are much more positive overall than MGS V's, the lack of closure for K and Blick Winkel and the missed opportunities for D-Team kind of soured me on the experience a little. VLR blew my mind and despite its problems I still adore that game. ZTD blew my mind also but that quickly shifted into being a bit more negative, critical and somewhat disappointed than I thought I'd be. It's still a great game, but after VLR I just kind of expected something... more.

And yeah, count me in for someone who feels kind of bad for Eric. He's an rear end in a top hat who desperately needs therapy but to get slightly E/N a bit, when I was younger I used to be just as needy and somewhat unstable and Eric is like a reflection of myself of a possible future where I didn't get help back then, so I can empathize with him. Carlos was great too, as the typical American hero nice guy who just wants to do the right thing by everyone and then he progressively makes things worse by shifting into timelines worse than the one he just came from. That's probably the highlight of the game for me.

Is it just me or does there seem to be way less puzzle rooms in ZTD compared to both 999 and VLR? I haven't counted the exact number of puzzle rooms, but it definitely felt there should have been at least two or three more spread throughout the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

I think there are 13? It's just this game didn't have one of those big smorgasbord rooms like VLR did. Maybe.

Yeah, ZTD has 13 while 999 and VLR both had 16 overall. That's probably why I feel as though there should have been two or three more in the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

this is some 9/11 esque grasping for straws poo poo.

If people really do comb around for hidden meanings and messages when there are none then this game is more like MGS V than I initially thought.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I never played Never7 so I can't really comment on that one though I've been told it's kind of boring, but I think Remember11 is a much more interesting VN than Ever17 as well. Remember11 has a lot of problems including twists that don't really go anywhere and a bit of a non-ending, but at least things actually happen in it that keeps you interested. Ever17 has some fantastic lategame twists, but the problem is that everything leading up to it is slow, boring and plodding and the pacing is all kinds of off. No I don't want to read about everyone except Tsugumi kicking a can for 40 minutes straight as a way to keep themselves entertained, nor do I want to read about Sora becoming a "real woman".

It's the one thing all the Zero Escape games do better than the Infinity series despite their problems, poo poo actually happens during the game that keeps you interested. Although, in a way ZTD kind of suffers from the same problem Ever17 does in that little happens until the second half where you're finally getting some answers but at least ZTD has puzzles and life and death decisions to make in the first half to keep you engaged, while Ever17 has everyone eating chicken sandwiches and acting like kids when they're trapped underwater and only have a week left to live. There's no real tension.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Terper posted:

Mind Hacking

You just don't understand, his motives are complex.

Although really, Akane has the same ability Delta does minus being able to directly manipulate people into doing actions against their will for a split second. She hacked into Junpei's mind in the future to solve a sudoku puzzle in 999 if you remember. Unless she does have the ability to mind control people too in which case welp, she's a more powerful esper than Delta is.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This still remains the biggest hole in Delta's plan to me though. Where exactly does he get the information that he was born in the shelter in 2029? He's in the 1900s by the time he's even capable of thinking, he can't SHIFT into alternate timelines to find out, and he can't Mind Hack anyone with that knowledge because it literally hasn't happened yet. Where does he learn about his birth?

Presumeably from other SHIFTers. He can also access the morphogenetic field and obtain information about the future, from the future, like Akane did at the end of 999. He just can't shift his consciousness into an alternate version of himself.

flyboi posted:

You could also play the theory that ? was part of the play and provided the information to akane as a bridge between the two timelines

Possibly, though that'd probably be more of a retcon since I don't think 999 was made with ?/Blick Winkel in mind.

exploding mummy posted:

Akane is probably the most powerful esper in the series.

Yeah. Actually if she was powerful enough to mind hack to the same extent Delta was then how do we know that Sigma and Junpei aren't being influenced against their will? Although I suppose the counter to that argument is that she wouldn't have let Junpei and Carlos do half of the things they did in ZTD.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 3, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well wasn't Cradle Pharmaceuticals just one of the many corporations owned by Free the Soul? While Ace just wanted to see faces, I've no doubt that Delta was using the Nonary Game as an experiment to see if anyone else has the same mind hacking abilities as him.

Funnily enough, it also means Lord Gordain, who invented the Nonary Game was only a member of Free the Soul for about a year. He died in 1931 but Delta only founded Free the Soul in 1930.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 4, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I wouldn't think too hard about 999's links with the rest of the series.

Cake Attack posted:

yeah anything about free the soul in 999 is blatantly a retcon.

Well it's true that VLR and ZTD weren't planned but Cradle Pharmaceuticals links to Free the Soul aren't that farfetched considering the cultist like ceremonial robes that Snake ends up wearing so even if there were no sequels to 999 there still was some weird connection to a religious or cultist order that the player could infer.

It's just ZTD, really, where the links to 999 seem very shaky and it is largely because of Delta's existence. His existence kind of messes up VLR too and I do wonder if him being Brother was a rewrite later into development than the original intention. It just feels a bit sloppy and underbaked.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Bahahaha. Don't know who gave me this version of red text, but I can't stop laughing.

Hah. Now I wish you could tell him to Google it as an actual response to that question.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Clarste posted:

The way the reveal is framed implies that the reason you don't see Q is because you're looking through his eyes. Sean turns towards the camera and points directly at you. In other words, the reason he's never on camera is because he's the one holding the camera at all times, and the apparently third person camera angles (unlike 999 or VLR) are just a trick. Now, obviously this doesn't make literal sense because of how quickly the camera moves around in the scenes, not to mention what happens in all the scenes after he's revealed, but that's the basic idea I believe they were going for.

Although given that he was in charge of the entire facility, it's possible that he programmed the security cameras to never look at him? Other scenes imply that the player is only seeing events through hidden security cameras, such as when Sean hacks the computer.

That would mean Delta is moving around on his wheelchair an awful lot just so he wouldn't be caught on camera. Just imagine dramatic scenes where Eric is threatening everyone with a shotgun again and there's an old man in a wheelchair constantly spinning in circles and moving back and forth, just so the camera doesn't show him.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Conclusions posted:

So wait, when they were sending Gab through the vents with notes to talk to the other teams, where did those vents actually lead to? Was Gab just eating his cheese and chilling for a while until a new team rocked up?

The files you unlock after the true ending explains it. Gab was pretty much just eating cheese and sleeping on a rug inside the vent.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gab got mind hacked by Delta to come back for more cheese. Delta shot Gab because the dog ate all of Delta's cheese.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Would it make sense then that the viewpoint is actually Sean in a way? I'm assuming Delta's Quantum Computer is hooked up to the security cameras and Sean is part of that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ZTD is a game where I enjoyed the journey more than the destination and that is fine by me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MegaZeroX posted:

So apparently the images on the slot machines relate to the 999 characters.

Edit:

OK, I just found out that Fanatic Bio R is an anagram for fabrication. Since that is supposed to be the part of the analogy that refers to the entire terrorist plot, it may be that the entire plot was a lie, and Delta was really just out to make sure he existed and for the lulz.

Well that and Fanatic Bio R has a 100% death rate compared to Radical-6 and it's a religious fanatic which causes the extinction of the human race.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

As much of an unhinged rear end in a top hat Eric is, I can't really bring myself to hate him. The guy is just so broken as a person that he clings to anyone who gives him even slight validation, even if it's the killer of his own mother. He's completely pathetic but I do kind of pity him.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

I'm genuinely surprised the common pre-release thought of "One of the teams isn't playing the game in the same time period as the others" isn't actually a twist

It'd be seen as a recycled Ever17 twist if that happened.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

gigawhite posted:

Yeah, Zero later explains that it was Mira. No idea why she would bother wearing a cloak though or where she got it in the first place. Seems like a story element they planned on expanding on but ran out of time or resources to pursue. Same with the whole deal of her being the killer of the first woman whose murder ended up getting pinned on Akane's dad. Seems like a pretty important story element to not resolve by the end of the game!!

That did get explained though, Mira's first victim was Eric's mother.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Not sure if this is the right place but 999's dub is underway.

https://twitter.com/Aksys_June/status/768519360566599680

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah, even though the ending and major twist was really weak and had tons of unresolved issues and left many more open, I did enjoy the experience of playing the game and being rused the entire way through. It's definitely the weakest game in the series, but I don't regret playing it. I think out of all of the games twists in the series, 999 affected me the least because I was partially spoiled on it. VLR though, what a ride that was.

• Locked thread