Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will have the better offseason?
This poll is closed.
Montreal 19 14.29%
Edmonton 65 48.87%
Vancouver 49 36.84%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That sounds like way more than what taxes and an agent should actually be accounting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

VJeff posted:

That sounds like way more than what taxes and an agent should actually be accounting for.

I could see taxes on his salary being 50%. The highest federal tax bracket right now is 39.6%. Add in any state and local taxes and I could see it pushing 50%.

I have no idea about agent's fees though. That sounds really high.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're all taking evasive tax actions though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mind_Taker posted:

There's probably a standard rate out there for having to deal with Sean Avery. His coffee at Starbucks probably has a $20 upcharge.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The NHLPA only allows for a maximum of 4% agent fees.

Also escrow is after taxes.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
What the gently caress anyone paying more than 10% management fees is an idiot.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

VJeff posted:

Also every year but one escrow has been returned to the players in full.

He is a man that does not begin to understand finances. If the average American employee earns the equivalent of $2,000,000 of today's money in their lifetime ($50,000 times 40 years) they would only end up with $100,000 of spendable money before living expenses in his universe. It's amazing families aren't starving in the streets.

Athletes managing their money poorly is a very real phenomenon. The issue isn't over taxation and agent fees (which are capped at 3% in the NFL and 4% in the NBA), but poor investments, handouts to friends and family, and lavish spending usually in an attempt to keep pace with wealthier teammates.

With even the most basic money management and investment, a player should be able to set themselves up to live a very comfortable life on a 5 year average salary career. That $2.4M annual salary is more than most people will earn in their lifetime, and most people do just fine. It's not like houses sink into the sea and all assets turn to smoke the second a player retires. Hell, earning even one year's salary, investing it and never working again is very doable thanks to the wonders of compound interest. Avery is an idiot.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The NHLPA only allows for a maximum of 4% agent fees.

Also escrow is after taxes.

Unless they've changed it recently, the NHL doesn't officially cap agent fees although the NFL limits them to 3% and the NBA to 4% so presumably NHL agent fees would be similar give or take a half percentage point.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah I didn't mean to imply Sean Avery is right, just that if he did play it straight it's not crazy to think half of his salary could go straight to taxes. He's absolutely an idiot if he thinks $13.2M pre-tax and fees turns into just $660k somehow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Unless they've changed it recently, the NHL doesn't officially cap agent fees although the NFL limits them to 3% and the NBA to 4% so presumably NHL agent fees would be similar give or take a half percentage point.

The 4% thing seems to be people referencing a Forbes article on NHL agencies. So yeah it's probably made up, since it's Forbes and hockey.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You can also be Jack Johnson and just get screwed by your own family outright :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Pro athletes, big time musicians/actors and lottery winners are all in the category of millionaires who came by their millions without doing anything that involves handling money in any way whatsoever, and are highly sought after marks for pro scam artists, who are very good at charming and persuading people who don't know better. And that's before considering the endless demands and sob stories of hundreds of extended family members plus thousands more people who are like "we were BFFs in 4th grade, don't you remember? Anyway I'm disabled now and we're about to lose our house..." And then there's the women, potentially the most dangerous money drain of all.

The pressures an athlete who makes it to the highest level instantly finds himself under are incredible and in most cases he's in his early 20s and has no prayer of knowing how to navigate the minefield. The "winning the powerball jackpot destroyed my life" syndrome is real and a similar malady strikes most pro athletes.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Mind_Taker posted:

I could see taxes on his salary being 50%. The highest federal tax bracket right now is 39.6%. Add in any state and local taxes and I could see it pushing 50%.

It's his cocaine agent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He preordered a lot of copies of Rockstar's Sony exclusive Agent and lost all the receipts.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

The pressures an athlete who makes it to the highest level instantly finds himself under are incredible and in most cases he's in his early 20s and has no prayer of knowing how to navigate the minefield. The "winning the powerball jackpot destroyed my life" syndrome is real and a similar malady strikes most pro athletes.

Absolutely. Avery claims all his money went to taxes when in reality he just pissed it away and/or got taken in by a crook. If agent fees are even a generous 5%, a 20% money management fee is only acceptable if you're getting 2000% returns from being the top rung of a ponzi scheme.

Avery has a grade 11 education and a Vogue internship as his sum total of practical life experience. He should be seeking financial advice, not dishing it out.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 5, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm a financial planner and without going into too much detail we've worked with a few public figures in the sports world and I can tell you they're all 100% idiots with their money. The only time it works to any degree is when they realize they don't know poo poo and try to do something about it.

That said, yeah there are a lot of shitheads in our industry and this Dept. of Labor ruling is going to chase a lot of people out of it.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I realize there are severe practical and moral issues with it, but I'd be okay with saving athletes from themselves by paying them a large portion of their salary in annuities during and after their playing career, or similar.

edit: even supposedly smart people are dumb as poo poo with money. My wife works in the medical industry and she knows an orthopedic surgeon who is literally living paycheck to paycheck because of his gambling addiction (mainly sports betting)

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 5, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If I ever work with NHL players, I will totally give up their names. I have no integrity.

(PK Subban is probably even nicer than you think he is. I can admit that now that he's not a Hab.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

I'm a financial planner and without going into too much detail we've worked with a few public figures in the sports world and I can tell you they're all 100% idiots with their money. The only time it works to any degree is when they realize they don't know poo poo and try to do something about it.
To be fair, normal people are idiots with money too. Drive through a trailer park sometime and count the luxury sedans.

Or the yuppies that bought into the giant McMansion and loaded the driveway with SUV's but are a hundred thousand in debt.

:iiam:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DJExile posted:

That said, yeah there are a lot of shitheads in our industry and this Dept. of Labor ruling is going to chase a lot of people out of it.

What ruling is that?

Aphrodite posted:

(PK Subban is probably even nicer than you think he is. I can admit that now that he's not a Hab.)

He's even nicer than donating 10 million bucks to a children's hospital? Is he actually Jesus? :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

What ruling is that?

The short version of this is it expands fiduciary responsibility, and is likely outlawing most commission-based investments like A-shares and such.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
How does the ruling affect financial panthers?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Mr. Kite posted:

How does the ruling affect financial panthers?

Jagr's advice is still to never retire.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DJExile posted:

Hey financial planning buddy :hfive:

Isn't it gonna be great when Trump gets elected, basically rescinds all the consumer protection laws and causes a catastrophic market collapse?

Also players get escrow back, yeah? I mean, that's the point of escrow. I don't think I've read anything about it being forfeited in the last 10 seasons.

Travis Yost wrote an article detailing just how horrible the Hall trade was for the Oilers - http://www.tsn.ca/why-one-dimensional-larsson-wasn-t-enough-for-hall-1.521260

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Wings letting their only :airquote:good:airquote: defenseman take them to arbitration

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

grack posted:

Isn't it gonna be great when Trump gets elected, basically rescinds all the consumer protection laws and causes a catastrophic market collapse?

my body, and book of business, is ready :v:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/750391705271173120

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

grack posted:

Also players get escrow back, yeah? I mean, that's the point of escrow. I don't think I've read anything about it being forfeited in the last 10 seasons.

Travis Yost wrote an article detailing just how horrible the Hall trade was for the Oilers - http://www.tsn.ca/why-one-dimensional-larsson-wasn-t-enough-for-hall-1.521260
I don't really agree that it was a bona fide hockey trade from the Oilers perspective. Hall gets a lot of bad press and the Oilers are in their 10th consecutive season of "Needing to make a move".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

same

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

DJExile posted:

I'm a financial planner and without going into too much detail we've worked with a few public figures in the sports world and I can tell you they're all 100% idiots with their money.

No seriously, restaurants are great, great investments and always successful ventures!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I don't really agree that it was a bona fide hockey trade from the Oilers perspective. Hall gets a lot of bad press and the Oilers are in their 10th consecutive season of "Needing to make a move".

No one really knows what's going on in the head of Chiarelli these days. See also: Lucic, Milan 7 years 42m

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

grack posted:

This is a very good article about Larsson. Yost surmises that Larsson's zone starts were indicative of his inability to make a positive impact in the offensive zone and I can tell you that he is correct.

Larsson was thrust into PP/PK and 20+ minutes in his rookie year and it was too much too quickly, and when he hit bumps in the road he got benched.

DeBoer was great in terms of play style but he did not manage Larsson effectively. He's emotionally fragile and lacks poise, and the next couple seasons were spent having Adam play three games and then sit four and it tanked his confidence.

However, he also showed a lack of the offensive instincts which he was supposed to bring with him into the NHL. His shot is awful and he doesn't contribute positive possession numbers when he starts in the offensive zone.

So when Bryce Salvador had his serious injury two years ago, the opportunity was there to transform Adam's role on the team to be more valuable - as a shot suppressor and penalty killer. He did a good job in the role and he remained the steady guy who would jump over the boards to start in the defensive zone most of the time.

In shorter, Yost sums it all up well: Larsson is a one-dimensional defenseman without the offensive instinct to be a first-pairing guy. Maybe he finds his game in Edmonton, but to trade a top ten offensive player in the league for a guy who has topped out as a steady defensive defenseman means this was a really bad trade.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

This is a very good article about Larsson. Yost surmises that Larsson's zone starts were indicative of his inability to make a positive impact in the offensive zone and I can tell you that he is correct.

In shorter, Yost sums it all up well: Larsson is a one-dimensional defenseman without the offensive instinct to be a first-pairing guy. Maybe he finds his game in Edmonton, but to trade a top ten offensive player in the league for a guy who has topped out as a steady defensive defenseman means this was a really bad trade.

Can you or someone help me understand how Yost is using the graph in the article to make his point? I'm not sure I really understand the takeaway of the graph. My questions:

- First, how do I interpret the X-axis? What does a given point on the X-axis mean?

- Second, Yost says "You can see that as his offensive zone start% climbs, the team’s goal differentials – both actual and expected – either stagnate or decline. That’s the discouraging piece of this". What are the sample sizes for GF/GA in the higher reaches of OZ%? What makes us confident that this GF% decline is real as opposed to an artifact of small sample size?

- Third, my main takeaway from the graph is that the team drives possession better when Larsson is deployed offensively than defensively, because the solid red line is above the solid black line then. Is this correct?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
How is shot suppression measured? Blocked and tipped shots?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

- First, how do I interpret the X-axis? What does a given point on the X-axis mean?

- Second, Yost says "You can see that as his offensive zone start% climbs, the team’s goal differentials – both actual and expected – either stagnate or decline. That’s the discouraging piece of this". What are the sample sizes for GF/GA in the higher reaches of OZ%? What makes us confident that this GF% decline is real as opposed to an artifact of small sample size?

- Third, my main takeaway from the graph is that the team drives possession better when Larsson is deployed offensively than defensively, because the solid red line is above the solid black line then. Is this correct?

i believe a given point on the X-axis is the set of games within the sample where Larsson (or the Devils w/o Larsson) were at xx% offensive zone deployment

he doesn't cite what his sample sizes so i can't answer #2, and the sample size might change the answer to #3

when larsson is deployed offensively, his shot differential improves by a lot relative to his team, but their expected goals see a negligible positive change and their actual goals see a significant negative change. i'd take that to mean larsson is getting or contributing to a lot more shots when deployed offensively but they are not of especially high quality and are not producing much in the way of goals

Krime posted:

shots against per 60

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Krime posted:

relative corsi against/60 is what the hero chart thing uses.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Krime posted:

Corsi or Fenwick or Shots against /60. Normally done as a relative measure vs his teammates when you're looking at one player.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Larsson keeps pucks away from his own net but his team doesn't put them in the opposing net when he's on the ice.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Krime posted:

grit/60 min.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

grack posted:

Larsson keeps pucks away from his own net but his team doesn't put them in the opposing net when he's on the ice.

This is basically the takeaway I'm getting. He's good at moving the puck out of the defensive zone or otherwise preventing shots against, but he's not very good in the offensive zone at generating quality chances and goals.

I wonder how he will be in Edmonton. Obviously I think the Oilers should have asked for much more and they were the clear losers in the trade, but maybe he will actually help out defensively since this seems like the type of player Edmonton needs.

• Locked thread