Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh wow Cueto posted pictures of the lifeless horse on instagram. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

how'd he get game pictures of arrieta so fast

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Rand alPaul posted:

Looking through his instagram I also found this. It's very important you click.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Flyyyyy Flyyy Lil Sebastiannnnnnn comes to mind, except, you know, Popeye but the name doesn't quite work the same.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rand alPaul posted:

It's times like this I wish I still did the James Andrews Gif so that Popeye would be making an appearance.

This seems like a stunningly inefficient form of locomotion.

:rip: Popeye :(

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

R.D. Mangles posted:

how'd he get game pictures of arrieta so fast

I appreciate this joke

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Bruce Kison posted:

He's going to make a metric poo poo ton of money after this season

And I'm hoping the oil billionaires that own the Rangers decide to pay him just that

Careful of guys who have career years right before they got paid.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Coghlan to the DL for the Cubs, Candelario is up.

What the hell does La Stella and Soler get back?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Oh, Arcia. You're so not Bo Jackson.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v884483283/dettb-verlander-earns-strikeout-arcia-breaks-bat/?game_pk=448078

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Niwrad posted:

What the hell does La Stella and Soler get back?

We actually may have a chance today with our only currently non-crappy starting pitcher.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Encarnacion suspended a game for making contact with Vic Carapazza on Friday.

Wonder what kind of punishment Carapazza will get for his god-awful performance?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Niwrad posted:

Candelario can hit but his defense at 3rd grades out somewhere between brutal and bruise-free Roger Dorn from what I've read. Hopefully this is a showcase before he's one of the guys moved for an arm(s?) this month.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Do the Cubs need to let Arrieta skip a start or two, or something? Dude just looks flat-out tired.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

Do the Cubs need to let Arrieta skip a start or two, or something? Dude just looks flat-out tired.
Crazy thought, maybe he's not the right handed Clayton Kershaw after all

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

Oh, I've always been skeptical of him, considering how rare / unlikely it is for pitchers to suddenly put it all together at 29, and I'm glad the Cubs didn't give him the seven-year monster deal that he wanted over the winter. But he just really, really, really doesn't look like himself lately. I always expected Hammel to get mauled by wolves sooner rather than later, but I didn't think Arrieta's arm would fall off.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Retail Slave posted:

We actually may have a chance today with our only currently non-crappy starting pitcher.

You talking poo poo on my boy Hendricks?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Arrieta having a few bad starts isn't that much of a concern. The guy has been pretty drat good for 3 years now, if that's not a long enough stretch of time to declare a guy has turned the corner then idk what you're looking for.

Is he regressing? Likely. He was never gonna continue what he did last year for much longer, but he is still a very competent ace. If you wanna start worrying about any of the starters look no further then Jason Hammel approaching the second half.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

bawfuls posted:

You're right, he's not on the DL

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I think the Cubs can just maintain an MLB-leading pitcher BABIP, AVG, and LOB% forever. It's not like those are stats can fluctuate or anything.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Der Meister posted:

You're right, he's not on the DL
:downsrim:

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Cubs are obviously trying to lull the rest of the league into a false sense of security. They're also trying their darndest to let the Mets win the NL East just to spite the Nats.

Obviously.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Jepsen DFA'd

:byewhore:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The Cubs are bad now and it's glorious

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N:gently caress the Mets
V:gently caress the Mets

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

tadashi posted:

Bless the Mets for doing God's work.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

Oh, I've always been skeptical of him, considering how rare / unlikely it is for pitchers to suddenly put it all together at 29, and I'm glad the Cubs didn't give him the seven-year monster deal that he wanted over the winter. But he just really, really, really doesn't look like himself lately. I always expected Hammel to get mauled by wolves sooner rather than later, but I didn't think Arrieta's arm would fall off.
I agree with Popete that it's not like Arrieta is going to turn into his pre-Cubs self. My point was mostly that his walks were bound to catch up with him at some point, along with his HR/FB%

And by "catch up" I mean I expected his ERA to "balloon" above 2.00. Still an excellent pitcher

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

tadashi posted:

The Mets own

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

zakharov posted:

Crazy that losing their .900 OPSing lead-off hitter to injury would negatively affect the team!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Crazy that losing their .900 OPSing lead-off hitter to injury would negatively affect the team!

Very rude of him to get injured and also force Jon Lester to give up 8 runs.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He should have been there to catch all the bombs allowed by their ace pitchers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I decided early I wasn't going to watch any of the Mets games because I actually wanted to enjoy my 4th of July weekend. I see my decision was well advised :v:

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Unless he's got a jetpack I'm not sure how he's helping the dingerfests that were Hammel and Lester's starts. Maybe you could make an argument that he'd be the difference in the pair 3-4 games, but I somehow doubt it. Think the Mets just have our number.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Can we play the Cubs every game?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I'm going to a Mets/Cubs game in a couple weeks and boy am I really wondering what's going to happen now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

John Wilkes Booth posted:

I'm going to a Mets/Cubs game in a couple weeks and boy am I really wondering what's going to happen now.

Cubs will sweep the Mets.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
ASB can't get here soon enough.

https://twitter.com/SFGiants/status/749683914424193024

Also, no hitter watch in Washington.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Mets are Good.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ice To Meet You posted:

He should have been there to catch all the bombs allowed by their ace pitchers.

Since the Cubs put Fowler on the DL, they've lost 8 games. 5 of those 8 have been by 1 run. He wouldn't have helped in the blowouts, but he could've very easily turned a couple of those 1-run losses into wins.

davecrazy posted:

Can we play the Cubs every game?

Sounds like me being excited about playing the Mets in the NLCS last year since the Cubs went 7-0 against them in the regular season.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ammat The Ankh posted:

ASB can't get here soon enough.

https://twitter.com/SFGiants/status/749683914424193024

Also, no hitter watch in Washington.

Green batting second. Jesus Christ :psyduck:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

zakharov posted:

I never understood Cubs hate. Traditionally, hating the Cubs is like hating the Special Needs kid that we all went to school with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

In Toronto for a few days, and I'm going to the Jays-Royals game tomorrow. Anything I need to know about the Rogers Center and the surrounding few blocks in terms of food and stuff?

• Locked thread