Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I feel like I can't be the only leftist that puts people who are against modern agriculture advances on the same level as anti-vaxxers but it seems like it seems like it has much more traction among progressive so I dunno maybe I'm just not as well read on the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
I consider myself a liberal or progressive and love myself some GMO. I also love nuclear power too.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
"Monsanto! Monsanto!"

*is a 50-something with a gray ponytail who wears sandals regardless of the weather*

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
GMOs and Vaccines are great topics because it's not a left/right issue. I know people on either side of the aisle that fall in either camp for both categories.

Here's the correct answers for both:

Vaccines are great and you are retarded to not get them unless you have a specific illness precluding you.

GMOs are fine, the politics behind them aren't.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
A bunch of retards who think they know better than industrial scale science and regulation.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Conservatives are pro gmo because of profits, liberals are anti gmo because GMOs are racist

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I hid my extended family, specifically my aunt and her daughters, from my timeline because it was just GMO poo poo. She's a paranoid german immigrant convinced that the US and Monsanto are in cahoots to start the fourth reich using chemtrails, GMOs, and Obama.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
No they're pretty much exactly anti-vaxxers, OP. People whose only understanding of genetic manipulation comes from watching the X-men movies and whose critical thinking faculties are mediocre at best.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Jose Oquendo posted:

Vaccines are great and you are retarded to not get them unless you have a specific illness precluding you.

GMOs are fine, the politics behind them aren't.

Also. There are some issues with GMOs, primarily the ones associated with monoculture as a whole. As long as they are adequately researched and responsibly used and diversified, they're good. But then you put the shittiest companies in charge.

Of course, that's never what the people who are against GMOs talk about. They're generally retard granola moms and other middle class morons who will shovel a handful of apricot seeds into their mouth while crying about toxins.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 2, 2016

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
GMOs themselves are fine, but large scale agriculture is destroying the planet. HTH.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
How exactly do we wean ourselves off of agriculture.

When people decry oil they often have some idea of a solar powered world or something. I just don't know where you go without agriculture.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Methanar posted:

How exactly do we wean ourselves off of agriculture.

When people decry oil they often have some idea of a solar powered world or something. I just don't know where you go without agriculture.

We don't need to ween ourselves off agriculture, we just need to do it smarter. There's a lot of cool plans for multi-level farms that grow ten times as much as a normal farm for the same footprint.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
GMOs kick up a bunch of issues about IP, in that corporations like Monsanto want to patent genomes which is dumb as hell

but that's the only real issue, anything else is fuckwads who we should eat for food

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the biggest impact of GMOs on most liberal americans is that monsanto made roundup ready crops so that farmers can just spray herbicide all over their crops and pass it along to the consumer, which is just great imo. it seems like a perfect way to sell GMOs to average americans and i cant imagine how it could have backfired

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

The Goatfather posted:

the biggest impact of GMOs on most liberal americans is that monsanto made roundup ready crops so that farmers can just spray herbicide all over their crops and pass it along to the consumer, which is just great imo. it seems like a perfect way to sell GMOs to average americans and i cant imagine how it could have backfired

so the actual issue here is ingesting herbicide, not GMO crops

thanks for laying that out

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The Goatfather posted:

How harmful is Roundup® compared to other pesticides? Also, how much Roundup® is used on Roundup Ready® crops compared to the amount of pesticide used on non-Roundup® crops? I feel like these are important questions that we need to think about

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The guy across the street grows GMO corn. Those fuckers aren't just eye high by the fourth of July, they're towering sky scrapers that literally rape you with corn cob dicks if you get too close.

The anti-GMO crowd has like a single study in their favor that wasn't well received in peer review and about a billion contrary studies. Also, we don't even eat GMO corn most of it is for feeding livestock. So it's basically nothing and stupid.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

GMOs kick up a bunch of issues about IP, in that corporations like Monsanto want to patent genomes which is dumb as hell

but that's the only real issue, anything else is fuckwads who we should eat for food
yeah don't get me wrong I absolutely understand the capitalism applied to our livelihood aspect of the discussion, you won't see any arguments from me over the debate of how to handle IP wrt to poo poo like food and medicine, I'm more talking about the people really upset that scientists have found ways to grow more crops and less space that is more naturally resistance to bugs eating it all. Like setting aside the monopoly aspect of the issue and profiting off of things people literally need to live, why do you need a bunch of extra regulations and costs so you can avoid buying gmo lettuce in your supermarket. The part where people actively don't want to reap the yields of our scientific advancements in agriculture is what seems backwards and ignorant to me, that bernie sanders is supporting it feels no different than if sanders was anti vax.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Flavahbeast posted:

How harmful is Roundup® compared to other pesticides? Also, how much Roundup® is used on Roundup Ready® crops compared to the amount of pesticide used on non-Roundup® crops? I feel like these are important questions that we need to think about
I've read some studies on organic produce that is barred from using certain poo poo for it's labeling but still uses their own forms of pesticides and such and oftentimes the health risk is greater for the non commercial stuff. While I enjoy farmer's markets I generally actively avoid organic stuff simply because it's actually more poorly regulated and screened despite being more expensive.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like I can't be the only leftist that puts people who are against modern agriculture advances on the same level as anti-vaxxers but it seems like it seems like it has much more traction among progressive so I dunno maybe I'm just not as well read on the issue.

Yeah the hippie movement cultivated a special sort of anti-intellectualism that in its current form rears its ugly head around GMOs and vaccines but it goes back to the 60s and the naturalist/health food crazy on the west coast.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
which ultimately killed steve jobs :laffo:

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Dubplate Fire posted:

GMOs themselves are fine, but large scale agriculture is destroying the planet. HTH.

Im with you but also we make lots of money off Monsanto (I live in the city of their HQ and they are a client of ours) so I'm also a huge moron.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Dave_Indeed posted:

The guy across the street grows GMO corn. Those fuckers aren't just eye high by the fourth of July, they're towering sky scrapers that literally rape you with corn cob dicks if you get too close.

The anti-GMO crowd has like a single study in their favor that wasn't well received in peer review and about a billion contrary studies. Also, we don't even eat GMO corn most of it is for feeding livestock. So it's basically nothing and stupid.

We're consuming the poo poo out of its byproducts and it's making us fat and lazy. Also it's making corn farmers poor and limiting their rights.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

psychokitty posted:

We're consuming the poo poo out of its byproducts and it's making us fat and lazy. Also it's making corn farmers poor and limiting their rights.

That seems kind of like an "industrialization is bad because it took away jobs" argument, like sure that did happen but what could have happened is we just took the money saved from efficiency and given it to the people who were previously paid to be inefficient, that's not a flaw of progress it's a flaw of how we handle progress.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
GMOs as a product aren't bad but it sucks that unlike regular crops they can be patented and controlled by huge companies. Suspicion and contempt for the corporate part bleeds into anti-science stuff unfortunately.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
FACT: GMOs comprise 100% of the airplane peanuts in the market today

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ArbitraryC posted:

That seems kind of like an "industrialization is bad because it took away jobs" argument, like sure that did happen but what could have happened is we just took the money saved from efficiency and given it to the people who were previously paid to be inefficient, that's not a flaw of progress it's a flaw of how we handle progress.

No I mean I don't think they should be farming corn at all. That's a holdover from farm subsidies. Why can't they farm broccoli and make a living? Because there's no broccoli subsidy or industrial broccoli complex.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Applewhite posted:

We don't need to ween ourselves off agriculture, we just need to do it smarter. There's a lot of cool plans for multi-level farms that grow ten times as much as a normal farm for the same footprint.

Actually what we need to do is not breed like a loving virus.

GMOs can be, and generally are, fine, but making them absolutely necessary because we can't even think about slowing down till we hit 12 billion mouths to feed is loving retarded. If you have more than 4 or 5 kids, gently caress you you piece of poo poo.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I dont really see why people are so against labeling GMO products, I mean almost everything in the grocery store will have the label but it's about as harmful as parental advisory stickers on albums

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

psychokitty posted:

No I mean I don't think they should be farming corn at all. That's a holdover from farm subsidies. Why can't they farm broccoli and make a living? Because there's no broccoli subsidy or industrial broccoli complex.

I'm not sure how that's making them poor though? Like if they are raising corn, that's probably because they wouldn't make as much money raising broccoli?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

yesterday I bought a watermelon and it had these crunchy black things in it and I was like gross so I say no more gmos

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

yesterday I bought a watermelon and it had these crunchy black things in it and I was like gross so I say no more gmos

:yeah:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

atoms and genes are bad

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

akulanization posted:

I'm not sure how that's making them poor though? Like if they are raising corn, that's probably because they wouldn't make as much money raising broccoli?

They make just enough through subsidies and then we have stockpiles of feed corn plus we adulterate it into other poo poo. The corn doesn't actually sell on a fair market. If broccoli were in such demand maybe a farmer could make a decent living farming broccoli. And then it would get market price and people would eat it. Instead we have to import it from people farming it for pennies in not necessarily fair labor situations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

signalnoise posted:

I dont really see why people are so against labeling GMO products, I mean almost everything in the grocery store will have the label but it's about as harmful as parental advisory stickers on albums
cause if you give stupid people an option not to do something that is objectively good it has dire consequences, vaccines are the perfect example of this. The existence of a gmo label confirms some people's retarded beliefs that gmos are bad and essentially serves as a scarlet letter on the products, you're discouraging scientific advancements in agriculture by branding gmo corn or w/e as anything other than regular corn as at the end of the day it is just regular corn it's just more cultivated than the corn we've we having a couple decades ago.

If you think there's no issue with gmos outside of the politics surrounding the patent process than there's no reason to label them, the only reason to push for wasting tax money on reviewing and labeling them is if you're an idiot who thinks they're somehow more intrinsically dangerous than the crops we've already spent a millennia on tinkering with to be perfect for human farming.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

There's nothing wrong with GMO but big corn is loving bad.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

psychokitty posted:

They make just enough through subsidies and then we have stockpiles of feed corn plus we adulterate it into other poo poo. The corn doesn't actually sell on a fair market. If broccoli were in such demand maybe a farmer could make a decent living farming broccoli. And then it would get market price and people would eat it. Instead we have to import it from people farming it for pennies in not necessarily fair labor situations.

i admittedly haven't kept up on the farm subsidy news in a while but i thought corn subsidies ended like half a decade ago when the gov stopped funding bioethanol research so heavily.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Dubplate Fire posted:

if only there was a way to grow more food using less land

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Raldikuk posted:

I consider myself a liberal or progressive and love myself some GMO. I also love nuclear power too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
It's almost like it's in the interest of every politician, left or right, that companies like Monsanto stay in business. That's why they distract everyone with poo poo like GMOs, then whichever side wins, Monsanto can just keep destroying the earth and poisoning everyone, maybe they'll just have to invent slightly new ways to do it.

• Locked thread