Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Rehgdar

"Well what are we waiting for? Let's check out this watchtower, get a read on what the local orcs are doing. Maybe we'll get a good proper fight instead of a comparison of religious doctrines."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Terranibal

"After you, let's see what they're made of" Terranibal grins as he follows down the path to the tower.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Farrag

The tower? He had no objections. Only... "Keep an eye out for, hm, I dunno what. Look, feline tracks." He knelt down to point them out. "Orcs are known for working with wolves, including wargs. But cats? I don't get it, so I don't like it."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
The Bell Tower

A pale, slender figure with long silver hair flees through the dark grove, her desperate footfalls making hardly a whisper. Behind her and to either side, two feline monsters pursue her in eerie silence toward a ruined bell tower. Their black, six-legged forms are hard to focus on clearly.

Spiny tentacles whip forward from the back of one of the beasts and lash the fleeing figure, who drops with an agonized shriek. A rustling at the top of the tower signals a nest of stirges, awakened to the scent of blood. On the ground, the tentacled
beasts move in for the kill.

Monsters:

quote:

2 Displacer Beasts (D) Level 9 Skirmisher
Large fey magical beast XP 400 each
HP 97; Bloodied 48
AC 23, fortitude 21, Reflex 22, Will20
Speed 12
Initiative+11
Perception +12
Low-light vision
TRAITS -
Displacement (illusion):
When a melee or a ranged attack hits the displacer beast, if the player rolled an odd number on the attack roll, the attack misses. lf the player rolled an even number on the attack roll, the attack hits as normal, and the beast loses this trait until the start of its next turn.
Threatening Reach:
The displacer beast can make opportunity attacks against enemies within 2 squares of it.
STANDARD ACTIONS
CD Tentacle+ At-Will
Attack: Melee 2 (one creature); +14 vs. AC
Hit: 2d6 + 7 damage.
t Bite + At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +14 vs. AC
Hit: 2d10 + 6 damage.
t Cunning Blitz+ At-Will
Effect: The displacer beast shifts up to half its speed. At any point during that movement, it uses tentacle once, or two times against different creatures.
TRIGGERED ACTIONS
· Shifting Tactics+ At-Will
Trigger: An attack misses the displacer beast.
Effect (free Action): The displacer beast shifts 1 square.
' Skills Stealth +14
Str 18 (+8)
Con 17 (+7)
Alignment unaligned
Dex 20(+9)
lnt4(+1)
LanguagesWis 17 (+7)
Cha 10(+4)

3 Dire Stirges (S) Level 7 Lurker
Small natural beast XP 300 each
HP 60; Bloodied 30
AC 21, fortitude 18, Reflex 20, Will17
Speed 2, fly 6
TRAITS
Nimble Bloodsucker
Initiative +10
Perception +3
Darkvision
While the stirge has a creature grabbed, the stirge gains a +2 bonus to AC and Reflex.
STANDARD ACTIONS
CD Bite +At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +12 vs. AC. While the stirge has a creature grabbed, it can use bite only against that creature, and it hits automatically.
Hit: 1d6 damage, and the stirge grabs the target (escape DC 16).
Until the grab ends, the target takes ongoing 10 damage.
Skills Stealth +11
Str 10 (+3)
Con 12 (+4)
Alignment unaligned
Dex 16 (+6)
lnt 1 (-2)
Languages Wis 10(+3)
Cha 4 (+0)
Features of the Area:

quote:

Illumination: During the daytime this part of the feygrove is brightly lit. At night, the moon's radiance illuminates the area with dim light.

Ruins: An old, ruined old tower stands here. The iron bell has long fallen and now lies rusting on its side at the bottom of the tower. In its place at the top roost dozens of stirges.

Trees: The trees in the area provide partial concealment to creatures beneath their leaves and partial cover to creatures hiding behind them.

In addition to the eladrin and the displacer beasts, there is one dire stirge at the start of the encounter. On the stirges' turn in rounds 2 and 3, one new dire stirge appears and acts.

Eladrin: The eladrin has fallen unconscious and does not awaken until after the end of the encounter.

e; Boulders: blocking terrain, grant partial cover to those hiding behind them.

Saving the Eladrin:

quote:

At the beginning of the encounter, the stirges are attracted to the bleeding eladrin.

Every round that begins with at least one stirge adjacent to the eladrin, if you have not attacked such a stirge, it attaches itself to the eladrin, draining her lifeblood, and she moves one step closer to death. She also moves one step closer to death if she takes damage from an adventurer's attack. After 3 rounds have passed in which she has moved closer to death, she dies at the start of the next round.

In addition to preventing the stirges from draining her, the adventurers can reverse the effects of the blood drain. Whenever a character uses a healing power on the eladrin or makes a successful DC 15 Heal check to stabilize her, she moves one step further from death.

If the eladrin survives the encounter, the heroes can revive her after a short rest.

Trap Cards

quote:

The Deck of Many Things: Environmental Effects
When a combat encounter begins and more than one card is present, collect all the cards present and shuffle them into a single deck. Draw one card from the deck. Place a token corresponding to the card drawn (from the token sheet included in this adventure) in a random square adjacent to the card's position, whether an adventurer or monster carries it or it is present elsewhere in the area. (if only one card is present, place that card's token in a square adjacent to the card, as above.) For example, if one of the adventurers is carrying the card whose effect is active, place the token in a random square adjacent to that adventurer. The token represents a visual manifestation of the card's power, typically appearing as a pattern of light and shadow on the floor that resembles the illustration on the card. The token remains in play until the end of the encounter, unless it is replaced by another card effect.

A creature in the same square as a card token gains access to a power associated with the magic of the card. These powers are described on the following pages. Many of these powers are at-will and usable by any creature. if a card's power is an encounter power, it can be used only once in the encounter, by whatever creature uses it first. (The powers associated with the some cards are exceptions: They're encounter powers that each creature can use once per encounter.) Once a card's encounter power is expended, the token takes on a new property described after the power's statistics.

Forced Manifestation: A creature holding a card can attempt to force that card's effect to manifest, replacing the effect of another card, such as one that manifested at the start of the encounter. The creature makes a DC 18 Arcana check as a minor action. if the check is successful, the previous environmental effect ends, its token is removed from play, and the new effect begins. The user of the card can place the new token in a square adjacent to that creature or in the creature's square (granting immediate access to the card's power). The new effect likewise persists until the end of the encounter, unless it is replaced.

This Encounter's Card: Sun

quote:

Sun's Refreshment
Deck of Many Things Utility
Encounter (Special) ♦
Healing Minor Action Personal
Requirement: You must be in the Sun token's square.
Effect: You can spend a healing surge, and you gain concealment from enemies adjacent to you until the end of your next turn.
Special: A creature can't use this power more than once in an encounter, but multiple creatures can use the power multiple times

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 22, 2016

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Terranibal

"Looks like we've got some action, boys. Get in to position and TALLY HO

Free: Pick up card?
Minor: Battlefront shift: Rehgdar can move half his speed
Standard: Flattening Charge: Miss

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Farrag

"Oh no you don't!" he snarled, stepping into the fray as his sword flashed in all directions. "If you want the eladrin, you've gotta get through me!"

This doesn't happen until after the Storm Pillar dissipates.
Move: Shift 1.
Standard: Five Storms, Stirge 1 hit
Free: Flurry of Blows to Displacer Beast, 5 damage.

If the Displacer Beast hits me, I'm using Water Gives Way on it as an immediate interrupt.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Freeze!" Ellie says, pointing her finger at the Displacer Beast near her friends. A solid ray of frost appears from her finger to him, searing him and slowing him down.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Terranibal

"Ugggh, we're not going to let that happen are we Mr. Displacer Beast? GET HIM"

Free: Pick up card?
Move: Into flanking with DB2
Standard: Brash Assault HIT - 12 dmg

Prepare Vengeance is mine if it attacks me.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Get DOWN!" Ellie says forcefully, unleashing another Ray of Frost at the Displacer Beast, freezing it so badly that its heart stops.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Farrag

As he felt the proboscis dig into his shoulder, he spied the displacer beast safely away and Rehgdar on his last legs. He thought to himself this was not where he was needed. With a blazing speed he ripped himself free and back into the fray, putting himself between Rehgdar and the Beast. His sword swung more to get attention than to actually deal damage, which was good because his blows were easily dodged.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Terranibal

Terranibal rushes to the last Displacer beast and attempts to fell it, however his attack misses. He then yells at Rehgdar to pick himself back up and keep fighting.

Standard: Flattening Charge: Miss
Minor: Inspiring Word on Rehgdar

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

You defeated the monstrosities.

The eladrin awakens, blinking. ''Thank you," she says in a voice bright as silver."You have saved my life, and I am deeply inyour debt. Come,follow me to my brother in the grove. He too will be grateful for your heroism."

Her name is Analastra.

The Font of Ioun

A font bubbles in the middle of this clearing, its water sparkling in the light. Encircling its broad base is a mosaic depicting a platinum dragon and a silver stag in eternal chase; the tiles that define the beasts' shapes are marked with miniature runes. Along the mosaic's perimeter, toppled walls form a broken stone shell bounding what once must have been some manner of shrine. A host of eladrin camps amid the fallen walls, hair and mail shimmering like quicksilver.

quote:

Features of the Area
Illumination: During the day, this clearing is brightly lit. At night, moon and stars suffuse the area with dim light.
Mosaic: The tiles of the mosaic contain the runic
instructions required to perform a Remove Affliction ritual upon all creatures immersed in the font. No components are required. The ritual removes lingering effects: curses, diseases, or other long-lasting or permanent conditions such as petrification.
Trees: The trees in the area provide partial concealment to creatures beneath their leaves and partial cover to creatures hiding behind them.

Analastra leads you to her brother, a tall, graceful eladrin with the ethereal beauty and wisdom of the fey. His hair is pale gold, and his eyes are solid orbs of pearlescent silver. He wears a coat of chainmail woven from mithral beneath an embroidered tunic of green and gray, and a slender sword hangs at his belt.

He takes you aside and thanks you for bringing his sister back alive.

The fey knight gazes upon the clear waters of the font in contemplation:.

"I am called Sir Berrian, and my house is Velfarren. For two human lifetimes I have searched the wide world over in a quest to discover the mystery of my father's fate and pay a son's proper tribute to his memory.

"All roads have led me here, to this human ruin. But once again they diverge and lose themselves in the fog of time, and though I near their ends I cannot see them clearly. Do they lead to dishonor? Vengeance? Death? It is impossible to see.

"The dark abbey crawls with perils, and orcs and giants infest the grounds. A frozen thing in white robes sometimes lingers near the font, staring into the memories its waters contain. And in the shadow of yon doorless evil tower this place confounds us with its mysteries and its dangers.

"The grove thrums with the life of the Feywild . . . of home. But the closer we come, the farther we fall away. Fey beasts lair in the ruins. Gossiping nymphs tantalize us with secrets. And my sister Analastra too vanished, halting our sacred quest until she could be found."

quote:

Find Analastra
Minor Quest, Level 7
"My sister Analastra had not reported infor several hours, and I feared for her safety. She is a competent warrior, but ever since we have come here, my sister has been ... different. I am not about to let my family fall apart on the quest to discover its past."
Objective: Locate Berrian's sister Analastra and bring her back alive.
Quest Complete!
Quest reward: 300xp
Encounter reward: 1700xp
Total Reward: 400XP per character
Next level: 1150/2500xp

He gives you a new quest:

quote:

Establish a Claim
Minor Quest, Level 7
''The plants that thrive in this grove and the creatures attracted to it-they are not of this world. My ancestors had a hand in it, and this Lord Padraig will recognize our claim. We have searched the shrine here, but to no avail-the monks who tended the garden were more interested in the properties of the plants than those who set their seeds in the world."
Objective: Locate the groundskeeper's records and give them to Berrian.
Reward: 300 XP

From here he directs you to a gap in the wall overtaken by the forest, from which you can return to Winterhaven. What do you do?

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 19, 2016

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Terranibal

"Thank you Analastra and Berrian. We were actually sent by Eriyel of the Harken forest who has been searching for you. She would like to know your status as soon as possible. Would you perchance like to return with us to Harkan forest and tell her in person? We can travel with you and return to search for any remains of your claim if so."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

They write you a letter to send to Eriyel instead, "It is important that we stay here until our quest is complete."

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Farrag

He looked over his compatriots. "You all look like hell," he said with his usual amount of diplomacy. "You want we should call it for the day? I'm good for more, but I ain't the only one here. No point in pushing on just 'cause I feel fine if it's gonna get the rest of y'all killed."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Ellie

"I agree," Ellie says. "We may as well rest up while we have a chance. Who knows how much longer we could get stuck in there for if we keep going."

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Rehgdar

"Well now I'd just look like an rear end if I said we should push on." Rehgdar rolls his shoulder. "Won't say no to a drink after dealin' with those bloodsuckers anyway."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Claudiu

Claudiu gives Rehgdar a look at the bloodsucker comment. He looks down at a few tears in his outfit, and a few smears of blood. "Well I am a little the worse for wear but could push on. But if everyone else needs some rest I am not against taking part in a little relaxation myself."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Terranibal

"Yes I agree, let's rest for the night and begin back to the town in the morning."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

You rest in the elven camp and make the 2 day's journey back to Winterhaven starting the next morning. From there you send your letter to Eriyel and report what you found scouting to Padraig.

quote:

Knight of Mithrendain
Major Quest, Level 6
On a previous quest you completed together, you met Eriyel, the chief of the Woodsinger elves of the Harken Forest, and you adventurers dealt with her in the course of winning Harkenwold's freedom from the Iron Circle. She contacts you adventurers and asks a favor.
A few months ago 1welcomed travelers from our distant kin in the Feywild-an eladrin knight named Berrian Velfarren, his sister Analastra, and a small entourage. They had been traveling for seven years in search of their father. We fed them and sent them on their way with blessings. Last night I received a message from a friend in their home city of Mithrendain asking ifI had any news of their whereabouts. Berrian mentioned a place called Gardmore Abbey, which I believe lies in the north, near Winterhaven. Please, as you travel in the Nentir Vale, send me word ifyou encounter Berrian and Analastra. And tell them they are missed."
Objective: Find the eladrin knight Berrian Velfarren and send news of his whereabouts to Eriyel in the Harken forest.

Quest Complete!
Reward: 250 XP per character, and Eriyel owes the adventurers her gratitude.

quote:

Scout the Abbey
Major Quest, Level 6
Sir Padraig gives you this one:
"Travelers on the Kina's Road of late have been attacked by orc raiders as they travel through the Gardbury Downs. The attacks mostly occur in the vicinity of the old ruins of Gardmore Abbey, so I suspect the orcs are using the ruins as a !air. lf I could, I'd raise a militia to 90 root the orcs out of their holes and put them to the sword, but these folk can't see past the village walls.lf it's not a threat to Winterhaven, they don't think it's our problem. Never mind that it affects caravans coming here. So in lieu ofthe militia, I'm hiring you to deal with these orcs. To start, I want you to go to the abbey and find out whether the orcs are lairing there. Come back and tell me what you find-as complete a picture of their lair and defenses as you can."
Objective: Scout the ruins of Gardmore Abbey and assess the orcs' defenses. Return to Padraig with a map of the abbey and an indication ofthe orcs' numbers.

Quest Complete!
Reward: 250 XP per character, and Lord Padraig pays the party 600gp as incentive to keep working with him.

He gives you another quest:

quote:

Peace with the Fey
Major Quest, Level 7
"The fey you describe living in these woods might be useful allies against the orcs and the best way to stop the raids. Find their leader and make peace with them, securing their cooperation."
Objective: Secure a promise of peace from the leader of the fey in the Feygrove.

Sum of Rewards:
2,200 GP
500 XP per character
1650/2500 next level

Codex:

Bairwin Wildarson, the halfling proprietor of Bairwin's Grand Shoppe traveled the world, or so he claims, before setting up shop in Winterhaven ten years ago. He occasionally has common magic items for sale in his shop, with a 25% chance (d20: 1-5) that any given item the adventurers desire is available.

Magic Item cost by level
pre:
Level 1		360
Level 2		520
Level 3		680
Level 4		840
Level 5		1000
Level 6		1800
Level 7		2600
Level 8		3400
Level 9*	4200
Level 10*	5000

*your level must be within one of any item you wish to buy

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 19, 2016

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Ellie

"Perhaps we should focus on earning the favor of the Fey. It would be most beneficial to have an ally in case the orcs decide to attack."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Terranibal

"That might be a tricky thing to do, earning the trust of the Fey, but I agree, they would be very helpful if we need support when clearing the Abbey. Lets go and meet with their leader."

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Farrag

Farrag sneered with the contempt only familiarity could breed. "I don't trust the fairies. Any fairies. I ain't slippery enough to deal with their ways of thinking. But if you guys figure its a good idea then you prob'ly know something about 'em I don't. Just don't let your guard down."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Claudiu

Claudiu looks at Farrag, thoughtfully. After a moment he speaks. "The elves may prove a good ally. Though it may be harder gaining their help against the orcs than expected."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

You all return to the eladrins' leader Berrian and discuss forming an alliance. "My purpose on this plane is to find my lost father, the orcs who have since learned to respect the borders of these gardens do not concern me. You came to Analastra's rescue and I know you are virtuous, but I have no reason to trust this Padraig and risking losing more of my kin here is out of the question. We are close to finding him, I know it. Help me see my quest through and then I may have reason to lend this stranger my aid.

He shows you his map of the surrounding area and points to a nearby location.

"Two owlbears inhabit the cottage of the abbey's former groundskeepers. We heard rumors that the groundskeepers had received the aid of an eladrin when planting the grove and gardens. I suspect that one of my kin was the one to do so, and the cottage might contain proof.

"We want to search it, but bear no ill will toward the owlbears. We had been planning to wait until the end of the season, a matter of weeks, when the beasts are likely to leave. Analastra's near death experience helped me convince her and the other younger members of our camp not to trifle with magical beasts unnecessarily.

"However, you could expedite our search. Drive off the owlbears, preferably without killing them. Be warned, they will defend their territory to the death. The only thing that they are known to to fear are equal numbers of displacer beasts."

quote:

Establish a Claim
Minor Quest, Level 7
''The plants that thrive in this grove and the creatures attracted to it-they are not of this world. My ancestors had a hand in it, and this Lord Padraig will recognize our claim. We have searched the shrine here, but to no avail-the monks who tended the garden were more interested in the properties of the plants than those who set their seeds in the world."
Objective: Locate the groundskeeper's records and give them to Berrian.
Reward: 300 XP

What do you do?

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Farrag

See, this is the exact sort of thing he was talking about. Would killing the owlbears really be so bad? But this was their demand, so if they wanted an alliance they could only comply. "So the best way of dealing with those owlbears is gonna be to drag some of them tentacle cats over to 'em. Rile 'em up, get 'em to give chase, and bust in the door of the cottage. Let one problem take care of the other, nice 'n' simple." He rubbed his chin. "I never thought I'd say this, but I hope the ones we took care of weren't the last ones; there might be more in that area. You wanna take care of that while we're fresh and ready? Maybe we'll get lucky and find one of Oakley's artifacts in the cottage, too."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Berrian indicates to his rangers to use a ritual to find displacer beasts. They complete it and shake their heads. "The ones you defeated must have been the only ones crossed into this plane from the Feywild. Waiting for more is unlikely to be faster than waiting for the Owlbears to leave the cottage. That leaves the ones you left behind days ago, which are likely half taken by the forest by now."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Terranibal

"That's a good plan. If we must turn to fighting, we can simply knock them unconscious instead of killing them. It'll hurt, but they'll wake up eventually."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

An overgrown cobblestone path leads up a small hill to the shell
of an old fieldstone cottage. The dilapidated roof is punctured by
an oak tree, which grows up through the middle of the structure
and spreads its broad branches like a canopy over the frame.
Shutters and a door hang open,forced from their hinges by the
wild growth.

Just beyond the dim entrance to the cottage rests a massive,
feathered beast the size and shape of a bear. Its short, curved
beak rests upon another of its kind. The creature's great golden
eyes open wide as it raises its head to sniff the air.

The Groundskeepers Cottage

quote:

Features of the Area
Illumination: During the day this part ofthe Feygrove
is brightly lit. At night, moon and stars shed dim light.
Trees: The trees in the area provide partial concealment to creatures beneath their leaves and partial cover to
creatures hiding behind them.

quote:

2 Owlbears
Battle Music
Level 8 Elite Brute
large fey beast XP 700 each
HP 212; Bloodied 106
AC 20, Fortitude 22, Reflex 18, Will20
Speed 7
Saving Throws +2; Action Points 1
Initiative +6
Perception +12
Darkvision

STANDARD ACTIONS
Claw+ At-Will
Attack: Melee 2 (one creature); +12 vs. AC
Hit: 4d6 + 6 damage.

Double Attack+ At·Will
Effect: The owl bear uses claw twice. If both attacks hit the same
creature, the owlbear grabs it (escape DC 16) if the owlbear has
fewer than two creatures grabbed.

Beak Snap + At-Will
Effect: Melee 1 (one creature grabbed by the owlbear). The target
takes 4d8 + 22 damage.

TRIGGERED ACTIONS
Stunning Screech + Encounter
Trigger:The owlbear is first bloodied.
Attack (Free Action): Close blast 3 (creatures in the blast); +11 vs.
Fortitude
Hit: The target is stunned (save ends).

Str 20 (+9) Dex 14 (+6)
Con 16 (+7) lnt 2 (+0)
Wis 16 (+7) Cha 10 (+4)

Alignment unaligned languages none

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 24, 2016

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

hey guys i'm in the hospital and can't get on roll20 or discord reliably. Feel free to autopilot for me!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Ellie

Reaching out with her Power, a small funnel of concentrated magic appears not far from the doorway of the house. Almost immediately, one of the Furry beasts is pulled toward the funnel, stunned by the sudden onslaught of magic as it makes contact with the funnel. Soon after, another large furry beast is pulled from the house in the same manner landing beside the stunned first, but it is not yet incapacitated.

Visions of Avirice is out and both are pulled. One is immobilized. LETS DO THIS

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Terranibal

Moving forward, Terranibal charges the second Owlbear and attempts to knock it prone to give the others time to search the house, however he trips and stumbles near the wild magic, and his attack misses.

Also using Battelfront Shift on Farrag, you can move half your speed.

OH NO

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Claudiu

Claudiu begins to walk toward the owlbears, giving a gentle smile that shows a gleam of his canines. As he steps toward them the outline of his body seems to blur, to darken. His shadow goes wild, not matching his own appearance, and then his own body follows suit as it turns to shadow and rips apart into dozens and dozens of bats of deepest shadow. The bats swarm forward and tear into the owlbears.

However when the swarm of bats dissipates Claudiu seems to be nowhere to be seen.

Used Swarm of Shadows close blast 3 vs fort, crit owlbear 1 missed owlbear 2. Owlbear 1 took 39 damage and ongoing 5 (save ends), owlbear 2 only takes 10 miss damage.

Claudiu teleports and is invisible until the end of his next turn. So no one can see him.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Farrag

Claudiu vanished from sight, but even while invisible he might have trouble slipping between the owlbears. His fear proved prescient, as apparently their sense of smell was good enough to judge where he was. The sneaking plan was not going to work. In that case...

"Slight change of plans, I see an opening and I'm goin' for it." He became a blur as he surged past the beasts and through the open door of the cottage. He wasted no time in flipping through the papers, hoping to find the records they were looking for. Every moment they delayed was a chance the owlbears would break free of Ellie's enchantments and come roaring back into the cottage. That would be bad.

Quicksilver Motion to move my speed as a free action.
Converting my Standard to a Move, using Five Storms movement twice to shift 4 squares total. That gets me through the door and into the cottage.
Minor to search, and with a 31 I think I'll find what we're looking for.

TheArchimage fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 30, 2016

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Rehgdar

Circling around while the rest unleash their distracting assault on the owlbears Rehgdar finds his ideal path and charges forward with a shout of "For glory! For Kord!" and slams into the side of one of the fey beasts, shield battering its defenses enough that the paladin's blade bites deep into the owlbear's flesh. "Come on, I'll show you what real strength is you rotund teddy bears!"

Move to Valiant Rush
Minor to Sanction both owlbears
Standard to use Heedless Fury on Owlbear 1, hitting for 34 damage and Rehgdar has -5 to all defenses until his next turn.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Ellie

Ellie flicks a finger and the swirling dark cloud of magic attempts to do more harm to the owlbears, but it is for naught. She throws up a disgusted face.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Terranibal

Terranibal let's loose a fiery blast from his mouth attempting to quell the beats.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Ellie

Ellie picks up the Sun card as she moves closer to the fray. She drops it down and uses the Staff of Mishakal to heal all of her nearby comrades.

Effect: Each ally within 5 squares of me (so all of you) regain hitpoints as if you had spent a healing surge.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 8, 2016

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Terranibal

After a long time of everyone whacking and magicing away at the Owlbears, Terranibal finally lands the last blow, ending the battle and felling the beasts.

"I thought we weren't supposed to kill these things? Terranibal say as he cleans his weapon and wipes the sweat from his brow. "I guess we didn't have any choice though, it felt like we'd been fighting these things for months. That was awful."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

A search through the remains of the cottage yields ancient books and journals, including an original plot of the grove and gardens with detailed information on each plant variety and the secrets of its cultivation. The first groundskeeper's journal describes a friendship with Siravus Ardonelle, an eladrin who donated plants from the Feywild to start the abbey garden. The paladins of Gardmore, in turn, dedicated a portion of the grove to Siravus and his descendants forever.

You heroes can return this journal to Berrian to complete the "Establish a Claim" quest.

What do you do?

• Locked thread