Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nessus posted:

I HEAR THERE'S A NEW TV SHOW?

There's going to be some sort of new Trek program in the near future. It's going to be on CBS All Access so people have a reason to subscribe to that probable poo poo show. It seems to be set in the "JJ Trek"/"Kelvin Timeline" and will feature boldly going, etc. This could be wonderful and new, and it could also be poo poo. Fortunately, as Trek fans, we are familiar with bIj.

I wasn't aware they'd said anything about that yet..? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Wait for SDCC in about 3 weeks. You'll get casting announcements then (Fuller has said), and probably a ton more info.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I was never much into any of the TNG fellas, to be honest.

Sisko, though. Mmm hmm.

drat right Sisko. And I met Cirroc Lofton a couple of years ago at a con. Totes would.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

It would be hilarious to see a gay\bisexual Captain Kirk because if they did that, I bet Bill Shatner's head would explode. I'm okay with pissing Shatner off.

It would be totally in character for Kirk too, honestly.

"So I'm hooking up with this cute thing on Ryjenax 4, and I suddenly realise, this is a male! But I'm so into it by that point I figure what the hell and just go with it."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

After The War posted:

Is that a joke? We hate those.

It always bothered me, if these two are Starfleet, why aren't they in uniform?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They should have worn the FC uniforms, just to give the impression they're not in sync with the regular timeline.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Isn't the line something like 'She'll be at college level in a few weeks!'

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Also gently caress TMP because it says impulse is warp .5 WHICH IS JUST RIDICULOUS MAN

I watched a bit of TMP for the first time in over a decade the other day, and that was one of two things that bothered me (of the bit I saw). The other was the dirt on the lens in some of the beauty shots of the Enterprise leaving Spacedock.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wee Bairns posted:

Looks like folks around the world will be able to watch the new Trek series on Netflix, while Canada will watch it on Bell's Space network. So it appears they really want to get it out to everyone.

Oh that's awesome news. Sucks for the US and Canada, but the rest of the world won't have to struggle.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

People proxying to the UK is nothing new. Americans want our precious Doctor Who. :eng101:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I expect it'll be out on CBS All Access before Netflix, so it'll be a torrent-o-rama anyway.

Same day, apparently.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Suder should have claimed the 'hostile mind alien' defence.

"Yes, I killed all those people, but I was being taken over by a telepathic mind alien at the time."
"Oh, well, you're free to go."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm looking forward to Lance Parkin's forthcoming book about Roddenberry, 'The Impossible Has Happened'. Lance is a rather good writer, both fiction and non-, so hopefully it'll be an interesting new angle.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

So to change gears a little bit, has there ever been an in universe write up on all the changes made to the Enterprise during the refit?

Like the fact that the A finally has the nacelle struts at the right angle?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My god, the Discovery is one ugly ship. It feels weird that over the past couple of years, they're revisiting all the Ralph McQuarrie concept art and utilising it. They've used a bunch of it for Star Wars: Rebels, and some in The Force Awakens and Rogue One. Now Star Trek is using this discarded concept style? It was discarded for a reason!

Also, if you're a cosplayer, these are the Beyond uniform boots: http://en.trippen.com/products/racer-m

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

People keep saying this, but it wasn't discarded, the film they were made for was never made.

Wasn't a very similar design vaunted for TNG?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm hoping we don't just get another variant on the TOS uniforms.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I always think of the three fighters that approach the Borg cube in Best of Both Worlds when it enters the solar system. Pew pew pew, doesn't even slow down.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Re:Spacedock

Yorktown is going to have the same problems in about 70 years when the Kelvin Timeline Galaxy class ships start showing up, or maybe they just have bigger tunnels elsewhere..?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Star Trek: SVU

In Starfleet, shipboard offences are considered especially heinous. In the United Federation of Planets, the dedicated crew who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Starship Victims Unit. These are their voyages.

:doink:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I like some of the concepts behind the J, I just dislike the actual execution.

I like the J, but every iteration I've seen makes it look like the saucer only exists on a 2D plane.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I though they only used NX (Naval Experiment) numbers for prototype ships after the federation was formed. Shouldn't it have an NCC number?

NX-01? From before the Federation?

Ah, a good explanation: http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/07/heres-where-the-franklin-fits-in-the-star-trek-timeline/

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 26, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Spock laughing was a great moment. :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They seemed to want to portray Yorktown as both like DS9, 'on the very edge of the final frontier' and also as home from home where Starfleet had big offices and a shipyard and where thousands of people lived.

I'm not saying it can't be both, but Yorktown felt very settled and safe if they wanted the former.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Though god knows why Gene Roddenberry wanted schluby guys with bad teeth to be known as remarkably adept lovers :iiam:

More influence from his lawyer?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Astroman posted:

Oh I forgot my favorite joke/callback in the new movie:

"I ripped my shirt again!"

I liked it when Kirk said life on the ship was getting 'episodic'

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nessus posted:

They probably just made a machine that reproduced a Betazoid technique.

Hell, I'm imagining some Section 31 squad of MiB Betazoids they call in for when things go south.

"Excuse me, can I have everyone's attention for a moment?" <betazoid psychic flash>

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Telepathy's troubling as hell from a moral point of view and they always skipped right over it and just went 'whatever yeah it's fine', it's a pity.

Lwaxana sees Picard over the viewscreen, and the first thing she does is comb his mind for 'naughty thoughts about me'.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

WickedHate posted:

In at least one version of the Legion of Super-Heroes, people from Saturn Girl's planet have to wear badges that identify them as telepaths.

Yes, the last time people were made to wear a badge to identify what minority they were on this planet ended really well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Plus the spandex-laced material retained body smell/odour like a mofo and they smelt bad under the studio lights.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Nothing looks less professional than a bare, scrawny neck. Especially on Picard. What a bad neck. Bad neck.

It's why Rene Auberjonois asked to keep the collar after he realised how good it looked in the first DS9 Mirror episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sash! posted:

I read that as a half gay Klingon.

Probably be an episode where he gets split into a gay and not gay Klingon and the gay one gives the not gay one Something to Think About

I can see Klingons embracing homosexuality wholeheartedly. The love between two men is the manliest love! A warrior's love!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I now have a mental image of the TNG cast watching various other stand ups and just :confused: - ing out ever them.

"Captain, I fail to understand. Is being covered with bees inherently funny?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Andorians confirmed for DSC! Please be Shran. Please be Shran.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MorgaineDax posted:

Conversation piece.

Conversations like "Please take that down, I'm going to throw up."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

- Will be set in the Prime Universe. 10 years before Kirk's 5-year mission. Prequel Confirmed.

- Fuller says Star Trek: Discovery takes events mentioned in previous iterations of Trek but "never full explored" (

- Incident at the center of Star Trek: Discovery is not the Romulan War, Fuller says]

- Star Trek: Discovery to have Female lead

- Female lead will be human, but not captain

- The first season will be 13 episodes

- Fuller: “We’ll probably have a

- "Absolutely we're having a gay character." - Bryan Fuller

- Will be serialized but each weekly chapter will also feature closed-end stories

- Discovery is set so close to the Kirk era that we can play with all the iconography of those ships and those uniforms.”

- Fuller: "We are not subject to broadcast standards & practices. Neither was Hannibal and we got away with murder."

- Spock's mother Amanda Grayson "maybe" will be featured in Discovery but will not be central.

- Bryan Fuller on the lead not being a captain: "We’ve seen 6 series from a captain’s point of view

CBS All Access information

- There will be ads. about 12 minutes per hour.

- Head of CBS All Access: "It’s the lightest ad load you can get. We’re toying with the idea of a commercial free option."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm so bored of the TOS era.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Veotax posted:

The more you guys talk about CBS All Access the happier I get that Discovery is just going to be on Netfilx over here.

Right? I'm sort of hoping Netflix releases it all at once, too.

Oh, apparently Discovery will also have robots.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Eiba posted:

Wait, what?

Is there someone out there compiling all this new information? I'd love to read about all this stuff without following a bunch of tweets.

I got it from this Variety article: http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-gay-character-cbs-all-access-1201835052/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think it's that I don't want to see those drat bland one colour TOS uniform tops any more.