Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edit: nvm, misunderstood something

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Why would they even need to pay Paramount licensing for that unless they actually used assets or original characters from the movies?

I hope they just don't even specify which timeline it's set in, just to have people drive themselves crazy over nothing.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 4, 2016

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:siren::siren::siren: No one knows when the new show is set :siren::siren::siren:

Literally all we know is

- a new show is being made
- Bryan Fuller is the showrunner
- several TNG/Voyager writers are returning
- Nick Meyer is involved in some capacity
- we'll get details at SDCC

Everything else that you've heard was just a rumor or speculation from some fan site

There are a few other things that we know. S1 is going to be made up of 13 episodes that tell a serialized story. It's not going to be an anthology show. It's going to be released weekly instead of all at once. And we'll be seeing "lots of crews" in the story.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 4, 2016

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

The great plots are eternal. Man vs. Nature. Man vs. Self. Man vs. Cyborgs.

Woman vs Fear Clown

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

And there's also a major plot point in late DS9 that effects some of the Voyager crew when they find out. The Maquis being obliterated. Overall, there isn't much you'd lose by not watching them by airdate, but there is some minor cross-show worldbuilding that would likely be most effective when viewed by airdate.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

The moon will never be a nice place to live. 14 days of sun and 14 days of night? Yuck.

They could probably create artificial day/night cycles and use the holodeck like they do on starships.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Wee Bairns posted:

Looks like folks around the world will be able to watch the new Trek series on Netflix, while Canada will watch it on Bell's Space network. So it appears they really want to get it out to everyone.

Oh, nice! I hope Bell gets the rights to put it up right away on the Space Go app.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

So, some casting news for the next Trek movie was released that is essentially a big plot spoiler....

It's going to star Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth. Time travel father/son Kirk movie!

I like the idea, it could be fun. It suits the Kirk of this series especially.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Star Trek and the Last Crusade

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

CharlieWhiskey posted:

It's amazing they got off easy with, "sorry i killed ur guys bro, i was hypnotized"

To be fair, the way things seem to be in the Star Trek universe, that would be fairly par for the course. I'm sure that planet has had some people get hypnotized by weird space poo poo before.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He's also a huge rear end in a top hat. If you're taking pictures at a con and he thinks he was in it at all, he'll demand that you either pay him or delete the pic.

I hope this becomes public knowledge so that people at cons are constantly taking pictures of him in defiance. Cause anyone who just refuses to pay or delete them, what's he gonna do?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There was a group of teens walking around Space City Comic Con earlier this year, laughing and snapchatting everything, as teens are wont to do. They passed by his booth and started to walk on until he literally chased after them and demanded that they each pay him $10 for the supposed pictures. He must have stood there arguing with them for a good 20 minutes, because they were all still there after I'd made a complete circuit around the con.

Dude is an rear end in a top hat.

The traced art he was selling was super obvious poo poo too, like Jim Lee and Francis Manapul covers.

You'd think that people would complain about him harassing them and he'd stop being welcome at cons?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I actually like the new ship a lot more than most of the ships that ship nerds post as examples of the best ships. Ships.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Subyng posted:

The video got taken down. Is this actually what it showed? I kind of like it. It's weird and different.

I found a mirror of it!

I had to beam it over using trans-dimensional technology.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Timby posted:

I'd be more interested if it didn't have Alex loving Kurtzman as a writer and producer.

He co-created Fringe, too, and that show was great.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Timby posted:

Counter-point: He co-wrote loving Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

But we're talking about a TV show that he is producer and co-creator for, not a movie that he wrote.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

It was discarded for a reason!

People keep saying this, but it wasn't discarded, the film they were made for was never made.

That's like complaining about TNG using Phase II ideas.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

What was the episode of TNG where some species that had barely achieved space flight/warp drive and had been hitting the enterprise for several hours with laser weapons and doing basically nothing? Like they were down to 99% shields.

The Outrageous Okona, I think?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

ST
STTAS
STTNG
STDS9
STV
STE

all acronyms used frequently.

I have never, ever seen those used as the acronyms for those shows

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Finally saw Beyond, it was great... decided to watch the Voyager episode "The Swarm" when I got home....

Man, the swarm of ships that Voyager encountered was downright neighborly in comparison.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah. People often say "oh, well he saw this planet get blown up and his mother die!" but I don't really feel like that's a good excuse. Nimoy Spock would almost definitely shed a tear but still try to remain stoic. The only times Nimoy Spock would have a full-on meltdown is if he was going through Pon Farr or if something weird was screwing with his brain chemistry.

Like, the whole appeal of Spock's character is that he's inscrutable and very cool, calm and collected at nearly all times. Even in the face of death. He's not the life of the party, but also not too hard to get along with unless you're Bones and you deliberately try to provoke him, only for him to turn around and lay down some sick ice burns.

I disagree with all of you... I was just saying to my friend yesterday that the complaints about Spock's characterization always annoy me, because they've made it clear in the new movies that alt-universe Spock is a lot more in touch with his human side, and I find that an interesting thing to explore with an alt-universe!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

"Well that's just typical" is one of the best McCoy jokes in a Star Trek movie, and it's well-delivered by Urban, which by itself makes Beyond the best of the reboot movies.

This joke is so good that I laughed at it both during the pointless Beyond ad that played in the theatre just before the movie, and 40 minutes (or whatever) later during the movie itself.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Telepathy's troubling as hell from a moral point of view and they always skipped right over it and just went 'whatever yeah it's fine', it's a pity.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I rewatched It's Only a Paper Moon recently, and was thinking "Why did I ever hate Vic Fontaine?"

...then I rewatched the episode that introduces him. Oof, what a stinker. He's immediately elevated to this flimsily-executed wise guru status and it's just a boring, boring episode aside from that.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Catspaw?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Haha, Turnabout Intruder is great for Shatner's performance alone.

No, it's And the Children Shall Lead.

So you're claiming that Catspaw is not bad.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I think that Best of Both Worlds and Yesterday's Enterprise are overrated.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I've been away from the thread for awhile, but I just wanted to say that I hope that The Greatest Generation podcast is a mainstay of talk/recommendations in this thread now... it's the best.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Weren't they supposed to have been kicked out of the celestial temple by the prophets, and imprisoned in the fire caves?

What's Satan's motivation?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

If they ever do post-Voyager Trek, I would kind of love to see a new version of the Borg... take the idea of Locutus to an extreme, where they try to create a more personable face to the Collective... and now they sell people on the idea of assimilation instead of forcing it on people. What would the Federation do if people were willingly joining the Borg because of their new friendlier sales pitch?

"Join the Collective! You will never be lonely again, and you get a free ocular implant!"

Work as a drone by day, escape to Unimatrix Zero at night! It can't be much worse than working a 9-5!

They're supposed to be able to adapt to anything... I think this would be a sensible adaptation after all of their encounters with humans. They take a page out of the Federation's playbook, basically.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 18, 2016

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ha, exactly!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

But people in the Federation don't work 9-5s. :confused:

The Federation is more than just Earth. And anyways, even if there isn't money, people still clearly have professions and schedules on Earth. Even in Starfleet, we see Barclay working on the Pathfinder project, and going home to his apartment. And people outside of Starfleet working as professors, scientists, farmers, chefs, geo-engineers... are you suggesting they don't have work/life balance because they don't work for currency?

And what would make the Borg scarier for doing it is that they used to be the Federation's implacable enemies. Hell, the enemies of every sentient, advanced species.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 19, 2016

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I'm suggesting that most Federation citizens would probably see 40 hours of work a week as being an unusually long work schedule.

Maybe they work 9-5 4 days a week. :colbert:

I was really just using it as a turn of phrase for "the regular routine". We've seen people who are dissatisfied with their lot in life in the Federation before.

cenotaph posted:

Reginald Barclay, the perfect representation of the average federation citizen.

I mean, he wasn't the only person working there. Barclay was going outside of his regular work hours to hang out in his simulated Voyager. But the general work/life setup seemed pretty similar to what we're used to.

(Anyways, I feel like Barclay is exactly the type of person who would be tempted to join the Borg, haha. Maybe not him specifically, but people like him.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 19, 2016

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I mean, the basic premise you're presenting is "what if a big spacefaring civilization rolled up one day and said 'hey free citizenship for anyone who wants to come along!'" so I guess the question is what would make the Borg doing this particularly scarier than if it were, say, a bunch of random not-cyborgs who just happened to like tooling around on a giant spaceship all year long? Should the Federation be so afraid of brain drain that they would implement Soviet-style emigration control?

In regards to this point again... they could just be presenting this personable front to the Federation, but still using the old assimilation tactics in other parts of the galaxy. And once they have enough drones, it would be too easy for the Queen to just flip a switch and have them all attack Earth. The last thing they need is for their vulnerable people to be giving themselves willingly to the Collective.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

So would they use this tactic on the other Alpha Quadrant superpowers? 'Cause the Klingons would spoil that real quick.

"Hey Federation dudes, those borg are kinda loving up all our poo poo without honor and turning our dead against us." would sour Borg relations with the feds real quick, and that particular bit of diplomacy would fail for the other superpowers, making the whole thing pointless when "faceless automotons who will take you and your cool poo poo" seems to work just fine unless they are stupid enough to just send 1 single ship for their "invasions" of Earth instead of a whole goddamned fleet.

It's not like the Klingons did much to stop the previous Borg attacks on the Federation...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Only because it took too drat long for them to show up, but they gave support before Wolf359. Old Admiral Mcdeadguy said as much in BOBW part 1.

But Voyager ruins everything and said that they took heavy losses in a separate battle.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

skasion posted:

CBS is not going to cough up for a show where you need to have seen the ending of a show that concluded in the Clinton administration just to understand the premise.

Or they could hire a writer who can communicate the simple concept of the Federation having just gotten out of a disillusioning war?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

skasion posted:

They could, but why would they bother? The kind of people who would be really hyped up for a sequel to DS9 are the kind of people who are going to watch a Star Trek show anyway, just because it's Star Trek and that's something they're interested in. From the point of view of a network hack, there is no point in expending effort trying to get those viewers onside, but every point in trying to engage the interest of people who couldn't tell you what the Dominion War was with a gun to their head.

You could say the exact same things about another TOS prequel, as well.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Right, because his race has a superpower. From eugenics. Because you can breed for that.

You realize that you're talking about a show that has multiple different psychic abilities and unrealistically homogenized alien species in it, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Like, I kinda get the vibe that this is going to be some kind of dark action show and that's not really Trek. Star Trek has this feeling of adventure and wonder that isn't here.

So... not a DS9 fan, then?