Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The last thread ran for three years, which means this is the animated series and 1/4 of us are the same guy with different accents

also I dropped out of the last thread for nearly a year but I'm still #12 on that list. Someone please help me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Computer, please alert senior staff if Mr. La Forge or Mr. Barclay enter the holodeck

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This should be included in the OP's Voyager writeup:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777056&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Star Trek: TOS Cast Deathwatch Thread

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

WarLocke posted:

Someone post Drinking Kanar with Damar, stat!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

WickedHate posted:

If this was Star Wars that comet would already have a six book series with a critically acclaimed video game tie in.

But since this is Star Trek, that comet will be a Trojan horse for some obscure TOS race that's now threatening the federation and only Picard, Janeway, Ezri, and Chief Engineer Wesley can stop it.

Modern Trek novels are the most wallpaper paste white bread plot by numbers bores in all of sci-fi lit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
:siren::siren::siren: No one knows when the new show is set :siren::siren::siren:

Literally all we know is

- a new show is being made
- Bryan Fuller is the showrunner
- several TNG/Voyager writers are returning
- Nick Meyer is involved in some capacity
- we'll get details at SDCC

Everything else that you've heard was just a rumor or speculation from some fan site

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Crusher is boring and has zero personality. Try to describe her without using the words "Doctor", "Picard's friend", or "Wesley's mom". You can't. The only time they ever did anything with the potentially interesting "works under the command of the man responsible for her husband's death and also possible love interest" was in the last season. And even then, it's one episode and a couple scenes in the finale and it's mostly the writer's room going "hmm, we should really try to wrap up the Picard & Crusher stuff".

Pulaski isn't a good fit for TNG, but at least she's more entertaining than Crusher.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
We also could have gotten the Kirk and Riker fight that the world truly deserved.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Young TOS Kirk is a dumb rear end in a top hat though. Movie Kirk is a relatively competent dude.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That's some dumb Logan's Run poo poo right there.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I can't even imagine convertible breeze while wearing gigantic Ferengi ears.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Great Shitbird of The Galaxy :angel:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

:captainpop:

I guess Gene was really set on some kind of intelligent Jamaican joker for Geordi.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Best of Both Worlds

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
"In the future, there is no currency. We plow to better ourselves, to achieve an enlightened understanding of every position."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I knew that comic was bullshit but none of my dumb friends believed me. It still gets Facebook shared on a regular basis.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/george-takei-tried-to-convince-the-team-behind-star-tre-1783306619

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Well there's room for a brand new character in the 4th movie now.

Honestly though, wouldn't it be kinda weird to have a new bridge character? "Here's the young versions of all your favorite TOS characters and their new friend Welshy! He was on the show too, just slightly off camera in the background of each shot!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's odd, but Ray-Bans really fit that new uniform.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I like Star Trak

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cythereal posted:

Wasn't he a farmer in Iowa who hated his son's decision to join Starfleet?

Or am I getting him mixed up with Picard's family?

That's Picard's dad. He was a winemaker.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Make Sam Rockwell the new First Officer

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wouldn't say Star Trek is "recovered". ST09 did okay in the box office, but general audiences have kind of forgotten it by now. The only people who really remember it are Trekkies. STID didn't do so hot. Both of them are kind of disposable Hollywood blockbusters and aren't that big in the cultural zestiest. They didn't really bring in a bunch of new fans.

In fact, barely any of my friends like Star Trek. I grew up with it in the 90s and I'm one year away from being 30. Almost nobody under 30 likes Star Trek, mainly because the height of the franchise was in the 90s and it slowly declined into obscurity by the end of the decade. The last Star Trek show that was big was TNG. Right now, the "hot" "geeky" things are Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Marvel and Dr. Who. Star Trek is relatively unpopular, mainly because it hasn't been on air for a decade and its last few years on TV sucked.

I doubt the new show will really "bring it back" because it's on CBS all access. The only people who will watch it are existing fans, it won't get new ones.

So JJTrek hasn't really "revitalized" the franchise, if anything it just kept it running on life support. When the movie came out I was pretty hopeful that it would spawn a new TV series, but it's been 7 years. They waited a long time between movies and finally making a show. ST09 and STID are the only Star Trek things we've gotten since Enterprise was cancelled in 2004. It's been well over a decade since Trek has been on TV. The JJ movies are better than nothing, but for the most part, things feel pretty quiet on the Star Trek front.
Into Darkness was the highest-grossing Star Trek movie yet. It was only a failure in the critical sense.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Generations is a great movie that goons regularly slam for little reason. The cinematography alone is an epiphany after 7 years of overlit sets and boring TV camera angles. Data's emotional rollercoaster, McDowell devouring the props and sets in every scene, etc etc. I even love that they finally put the crew on an honest to god schooner in full naval regalia. Stewart and Whoopi nail those Nexus scenes. It's fantastic. The only downside to the whole thing is that the Duras' take down the D instead of a Romulan Warbird, something that was teased for 7 seasons. I can't even fault Kirk's death, the character dies helping to save an entire world. What more could you want?

If Generations had had a Romulan-centric plot instead of the Duras', it would be cited alongside TUC and WoK as the best Trek has to offer in film.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

remusclaw posted:

Maybe just a little bit of time spent showing the world they are going to save and it's people?

I mean, I know the point of it is that the Enterprise Crew and Kirk are heroes, and they will try to save people even if they will never see them, but as a member of the audience, I really need to see what is being threatened at least for a little bit in order to feel tense that they are all about to be killed. People die all the time in real life and we don't even think about it that much, if we did it would take up all our time. It is only when people we are at least somewhat acquainted with die that we really feel it. We need to meet the victims for drama to work.

But the movie does this as well; we see that the destruction of Veridian III would also result in the death of the surviving Enterprise-D crew. And we've known them for 7 years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I can't imagine Yesterday's Enterprise as a movie. There simply isn't enough meat on those bones. And then you run into the very issue that tanked the TOS vs TNG concept; the writers couldn't make both crews heroic without one of them ending up as the clear "villain".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Odo lives in a bucket, what does he know

Kill all clones :getin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The clones were all goopy and hairless

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Man I love DS9 but these Ferenghi centric episodes are pretty dire.

The Ferengi episodes are awesome

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Not the one where Zek is brainwashed by the Orb to be a nice person.

Uh, sounds like Zek was in it, therefore it was a good episode

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

WickedHate posted:

Klingon stuff is great when you realize it's all bullshit they just put up to look good among each other, and Worf is the only one who actually believes in those ideals. Very similar to real samurai and knights.

Pretty much this. Real Klingons use HONOR and GLORY as excuses to get shitfaced, get in huge brawls, and blow poo poo up. Worf is a Klingon Fundamentalist who can't wrap his giant head around this concept of "fun".

Martok is the best Klingon character on DS9 though :colbert:

Worf does eventually lighten up, but he's still real subtle about it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

FilthyImp posted:

Voyager is the fastest model in the fleet, with its variable warp field nacelles able to push the engines to warp 9.975336281.

Until you get to the episode where the Doc meets Hollo AndyDick on the USA prototype ship Badass TRIPLE SEPARATION VECTOR ASSAULT BATTLE MASTER. That ship goes 9.9754!

But then you get stupid rear end loving alternatech like the Trajector field, QUANTUM SLIPSTREAM, Transwarp and Kes' PsychoCrusher Superwarp that just means writers can pull bullshit out of their rear end to Gotta go Fast!

Also gently caress TMP because it says impulse is warp .5 WHICH IS JUST RIDICULOUS MAN

Not only is the multi-vector poo poo stupid as hell, but their super secret attack pattern is to... slow down and shoot the enemy from behind. :laugh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mogomra posted:

This is gonna be weird watching it with my family, because I'm the only one who made it through Enterprise as far as I know.

That's way more Enterprise stuff than I thought they'd mention. When Pegg said he was asking Memory Alpha questions about the NX class, I figured we'd get maybe one off-hand comment. Not a huge plot point/twist. Kinda bizarre.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
EC Comics were fantastic. When I was a kid, I had a cheapo collected version of some of the Weird Fantasy books that I literally read until the spine split. That publisher also gave us Tales From the Crypt.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

DrNutt posted:

Rewatching The Outcast right now and it makes me sad the producers were so anti-Geordi-beard. Otoh, it might have made all his failings with women harder to believe.

Geordi should have had a beard from the beginning. It's one of the things the TNG movies got right, the dude just looks better with a beard.

Everyone should have gotten beards in season 2.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Holy cow, that Spock cosplayer. I did a google search and apparently he's called Spock Vegas and he looks and sounds uncannily like Leonard Nimoy. Wow.

He's also a huge rear end in a top hat. If you're taking pictures at a con and he thinks he was in it at all, he'll demand that you either pay him or delete the pic. He also sells traced and stolen artwork that a conman friend of his grabs off the internet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There was a group of teens walking around Space City Comic Con earlier this year, laughing and snapchatting everything, as teens are wont to do. They passed by his booth and started to walk on until he literally chased after them and demanded that they each pay him $10 for the supposed pictures. He must have stood there arguing with them for a good 20 minutes, because they were all still there after I'd made a complete circuit around the con.

Dude is an rear end in a top hat.

The traced art he was selling was super obvious poo poo too, like Jim Lee and Francis Manapul covers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Pretty much everyone hated Shatner, but especially James Doohan and George Takei. Bill didn't go to Takei's wedding or Nimoy's funeral

I'm not going to fault him for this one, as he'd already been committed to a Red Cross charity event on the same day, and his daughters were present at the funeral to represent the Shatner family. I'd like to think Nimoy would have insisted that Shatner attend the charity event.

After The War posted:

I help put on our local con, also Memorial Day weekend, and we had a lot of things go wrong this year. A LOT. And it was our 50th. And the highest attendance since the 70s heyday because GRRM was our GOH. We were proud we were able to make the thing happen at all. There were complaints. There were people threatening to never come again. There were firings and walkouts. It was a physically and emotionally draining experience.

Then we heard about everything that happened at Space City, and suddenly... it wasn't so bad.

Oh god yeah. Except for Shatner, I paid cash for all my autographs and I'm glad I did. Dorn, Spiner, and Auberjonois (among others) all got shafted on pre-sale vouchers and didn't see a dime. Plus, half the convention hall was completely empty and they managed to gently caress up guest tickets on the first two days. My first and last time ever going to that poo poo-hole con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm torn between seeing it with friends tonight or waiting til the weekend to see it with my dad. The positive buzz this week has me really excited.