Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*breathes in that new thread smell*

Mmmmm MMMM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

If you're new to Star Trucks, you should probably take a gander at this, as it's one of the best scenes from any of the TV shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdiuRMK3UQ

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Don't fret. Mads is going to be in Star Wars this winter.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

That sounds like something Kirk would do. After he slept with the Queen, of course.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Yaphet Kotto as the President of the Federation
Clint Howard as the Captain
David Johansen as the Commander
Hugh Dancy as the Lt. Commander
Bill Duke as the Chief Engineer
Tito Ortiz as the Security Chief
Gary Oldman as Chief Medical Officer
Dennis Quaid as Head Cook
Milo Ventimiglia as Ship DJ
Dianna Agron as Wife of Ship DJ
Mark Ruffalo as Primary Klingon Antagonist
David Alan Grier as Primary Klingon Protagonist
Dustin Hoffman as Primary Gorn Antagonist
Tilda Swinton as Ancient Borg Queen
Kate Upton as Insane Hologram AI
Cameron Diaz as Fleet Admiral
Sissy Spacek as Head of Section 31
C. Thomas Howell as Sad Robot Clone
Andrew Dice Clay as Romulan Praetor

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Was at Bookmans again today.

Saw these:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Space Caps.

God drat it.

Reg kept all his Space Caps in his Space Hugbox.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Bones became an Admiral and lived to be, like, 150 years old, but poor Geordi still needed a visor to see things in the infrared spectrum.

drat you, Star Trucks.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Tons of new 50th Anniversary poster art; I like some of the Beyond stuff:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

One of the Xindi races were a bunch of talking fish!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

A rather spoilerific TV spot for Beyond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=derB59I21Fw

I did some digging regarding that spoiler, and it turns out that Krall was once a human member of the USS Franklin during the Xindi War, and the reason he looks the way he does now is because the planet the ship crashed on had technology to dramatically extend a person's life. The side effect being it changes your DNA. Krall was also apparently a MACO prior to Starfleet, and in this universe, multiple ships fought against the Xindi.

The movie also has a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes with nearly 40 reviews, which is an entirely arbitrary number, but is still encouraging.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 19, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Star Trek Beyond synopsis:

quote:

Three years into their five-year deep space voyage, the USS Enterprise puts in for resupply at Starbase Yorktown, a densely-populated space colony. During the long period of isolation, Commander Spock (Zachary Quinto) and Lieutenant Nyota Uhura (Zoe Saldana) have ended their romantic relationship, Lieutenant Hikaru Sulu (John Cho) misses his partner and young child, Chief Engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott (Simon Pegg) is having difficulty keeping the Enterprise operational with dwindling supplies, and Captain James T. Kirk (Chris Pine) is finding his duties monotonous. Over birthday drinks with Dr. Leonard McCoy (Karl Urban), Kirk questions his motives for joining Starfleet, and he later applies for promotion to Vice Admiral.

An escape pod drifts out of a nearby nebula and the sole occupant, Kalara (Lydia Wilson), claims her ship is stranded and damaged. The Enterprise is dispatched, but when it arrives at a planet on the far side of the nebula, it's crippled by a swarm of ships and boarded by drone soldiers lead by Krall (Idris Elba), an alien warlord. Krall attempts to retrieve an alien artifact – supposedly part of a long-lost weapon – from the Enterprise's storage, but Kirk gets the artifact first and gives it to a junior ensign for safekeeping. As the crew evacuates, most of their escape pods are captured by the drone ships.

Uhura separates the Enterprise's saucer section, enabling it to crash-land on the planet below, but she's captured by Krall and brought to his home base on the planet's surface, along with Sulu, the junior ensign and the rest of the captive crew. Along with the drone forces, Krall has alien technology that he uses to rejuvenate his body by draining the life from his captives, and has been planning for centuries to strike at the Federation. When Krall threatens to start murdering the crew, the junior ensign gives up the alien artifact, which is the final component of a bioweapon he intends to unleash aboard Yorktown.

Kirk, Ensign Pavel Chekov (Anton Yelchin) and Kalara also reach the surface, and Kalara admits she lured the Enterprise into a trap. They return to the saucer section, where Kalara is tricked into giving away the location of Krall's base. The drones attack, but Kirk and Chekov escape by activating the saucer's manoeuvring thrusters, killing Kalara. Meanwhile, Scotty lands elsewhere and is saved from unruly natives by Jaylah (Sofia Boutella), an alien scavenger who has made her home in the wreck of the USS Franklin, a legendary Starfleet vessel that went missing.

Spock and McCoy reach the planet in a stolen drone, but Spock is severely wounded. As they navigate the planet's surface, Spock reveals that Ambassador Spock (Leonard Nimoy) has died, causing him to reconsider his place in Starfleet. They are attacked by drones, but Scotty repairs the Franklin's teleporter and beams the pair aboard. Kirk and Chekov reach the Franklin, and with Jaylah's help, they formulate a plan to infiltrate Krall's camp. As Krall's fleet departs, Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Jaylah attack the base and rescue the crew from the remaining drones, before repairing the Franklin and pursuing Krall to Yorktown.

Spock and McCoy beam aboard an attacking drone ship and discover how to disrupt the drones' cohesion with UHF broadcasts, allowing the Franklin to destroy much of the drone fleet using discordant noise. Krall alone boards Yorktown and attempts to deploy the bioweapon in the life support hub. Uhura studies the Franklin's logs and discovers the truth: Krall was once the human captain of the USS Franklin, an ex-soldier and a Federation sceptic who went insane during his time on the planet. Kirk battles Krall at the life support hub, managing to flush Krall and the bioweapon into space and narrowly avoiding the same fate thanks to Spock and McCoy's stolen drone.

Kirk is offered the promotion to Vice Admiral as a reward for saving Yorktown, but he declines, preferring to remain a starship captain. Spock decides to stay in Starfleet and resumes his relationship with Uhura. On Scotty's recommendation, Jaylah is accepted to Starfleet Academy. And after their shore leave aboard Yorktown, the crew resume their five-year mission aboard their new ship, the USS Enterprise-A.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Had birthday steak, followed by cake, followed by rad gifts.

Going to see Beyond in an hour; will provide a short, spoiler-free review later this evening.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Just got back from Beyond, loved it. There is a scene towards the end that caught me off guard and I absolutely teared up. You'll all know what I'm talking about once you see it.

That whole scene was very touching and kicked me right in the nuts.

That said, the movie owned. Owned owned owned. The Yorktown was one of the best settings in any sci-fi movie, period, and the JJ-prise swarm destruction sequence was fantasically shot. The cinematography as a whole was amazing, too. Justin Lin knows how to do action. Definitely go see it this weekend, Star Trek goons. In 3D if you can. Tight storytelling, a lot of humor sprinkled in there, and fan service galore from drat near every iteration of the old movies and old TV series.

It didn't really have the galactic or planetary scale of the last two, but I don't feel that it hurt the overall story.

You've done well, Simon Pegg & Co. You've very done well, indeed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Varance posted:

Beyond is good Trek. Go see it.

Yuuuuuuuuup. I was in a screening with about 100 other people and a good majority of the crowd gave it strong applause after the credits started rolling.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Beyond also has the most practical usage of a universal translator ever depicted in Star Trek.

It doesn't try to handwave away the weirdness of alien species speaking english from the get-go.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

A Federation ship with a poorly lit bridge that's made out of rusted metal alloys, surrounded by a vaguely smokey haze.

These are the adventures of the USS Tetanus.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Wait, Altamid is in another galaxy?!

https://twitter.com/simonpegg/status/757894165984313344

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Star Man posted:

This is your reminder that "The Inner Light" will probably make you bawl your eyes out.

When Paramount auctioned off all that Star Trek stuff years ago, Patrick Stewart lamented that he didn't bid on the flute.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_7Pz85XJ7Q

VHS boardgame appearance towards the end.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The new show starts in 5 months, and Fuller & Co. haven't mentioned the new cast, or definitively when the show is set.

What the hell kind of production is this?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

GreenNight posted:

A broke rear end one with too many cooks.

Broth Status: Spoiled

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

It'll be set in the TOS Mirror Universe, and the Captain of the Discovery will be none other than Roger Cross.

Because Roger Cross is everywhere at all times.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's concerning, that's for sure. I mean I'm happy with who they have as show runners, but CBS is doing a pretty awful job here otherwise.

I was discussing this with a few people at work during lunch the other day, and most of them didn't even know there was a new show coming up. When they heard that it was on some sort of half-assed CBS streaming service, they seemed even less enthusiastic.

"I already have Netflix and Hulu, why the hell would I pay monthly for yet another thing?" was the general consensus amongst the group.

I'm sure a lot more people around the world feel the same way. Just put the goddamn show on CBS and it'll either sink or swim. Stop trying to make All-Access happen, CBS. It's not going to happen. Your show is going to be pirated into dust.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Isolinear Chip drink coasters are now something that exists.

http://technabob.com/blog/2016/08/02/star-trek-isolinear-chip-coasters/

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Enterprise has the best ship design.

*slashes your face with a letter opener*

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The first season will be all about early Starfleet fighting other species over ownership of the Weed Planet.

Also, the Weed Planet is in the same system as a Nazi Planet. Expect hijinks to ensue.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Admiral Ross died

quote:

Barry Jenner, a veteran actor known for his roles on Dallas, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Family Matters, died Tuesday in Los Angeles after a battle with acute myeloid leukemia. He was 75.

The official Star Trek website noted that Jenner — who played Admiral William Ross in a dozen episodes during the sixth and seventh seasons of Deep Space Nine, as well as in a video game — was “a popular figure on the convention circuit.”

The Philadelphia-born Jenner played the Ewing family’s doctor (and love interest for Sue Ellen) in 25 episodes of Dallas from season 7 to season 9, and would later appear in 18 episodes of Family Matters as Lieutenant Murtaugh. His resume also includes such credits as Hart to Hart, Knots Landing, Fame, Simon & Simon, Highway to Heaven, St. Elsewhere, Family Ties, Falcon Crest, Matlock, Silk Stalkings, Something So Right, and JAG. He often popped up on The $10,000 Pyramid as a celebrity guest.

Born in Philadelphia, Jenner counted among his other credits Another World, Knots Landing, Dallas, Highway to Heaven, Looker, Hart to Hart, V: The Series, Family Matters, Walker: Texas Ranger, JAG, Enough Said and, if IMDB is accurate, an upcoming film called The Caretaker. He also was a frequent celebrity guest on the game shows Super Password and The $10,000 Pyramid.

Jenner is survived by his wife, Suzanne Hunt.

:(

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

cenotaph posted:

Tasha Yar killed by BP oil spill was pretty good.

Actually, it was the Goopster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2XOLoeBPEk

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The USS Shoehorn

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

There's a 2-hour 50 Year Anniversary retrospective on the History Channel tonight if anyone is interested. A whole lot of interviews with big names.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I know Walter Koenig is 80 years old, but on that History Channel show last night, he looked like a ghost.

Is he just old as gently caress or does he have an illness of some kind?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

At long last, a big budget depiction of a Weed Planet.

Data listening to 27 different Bob Marley and Peter Tosh songs at once while chilling in a beanbag.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Had Enterprise not been cancelled, Shran was going to become a regular member of the NX-01 crew.

We were robbed of that. So disappointing. :(

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Oh, there's no denying that. The writers too often took the path of least resistance with regards to interesting storytelling on the show.

It could have been awesome. Instead, like you said, most of the time it was aggresively mediocre.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

You just know that Bryan Fuller is going to find some excuse to include Decon gel scenes in the new show.

Explicit Decon gel scenes. Like the coed shower in Starship Troopers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

It's like a late 90's Command & Conquer FMV intro.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

All that a potential season 8 or 9 meant was more pain and suffering for O'Brien.

The poor guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/swear_trek/status/763141566034739200

https://twitter.com/swear_trek/status/765544928390713344

https://twitter.com/swear_trek/status/763078417499713536