Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Forgot who said it In the last thread, but every captain should start the day by saying "Computer: alert security and bridge personnel if there is anyone that boards the ship, if the transporters are activated, if a shuttle craft attempts to leave or if a member of the crew leaves the ship. "

Personally, I think the ship starts off super verbose and it's so annoying everyone just turns off the minder messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Otisburg posted:

It's weird that outside my work theres like 15 spots reserved for the chick who played Kira. Even if she did drop by is she gonna have that big an entourage?

:v:
Gotta have a space for Nana, one for Bashir, and one for The Sisko.

The trick is juggling everyone so that they don't all meet up at the same time, sitcom style.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fister Roboto posted:

You know, I think I liked Polaski better than Crusher.
Pulaski was a space racist and an unsubtle attempt to recapture the magic of Deforest Kelley. And the Spock/Bones dynamic.

Unfortunately, taunting an Android is about as sympathetic as making fun of an autistic kid who loves trains, so she comes off as a dick most of the time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Der Luftwaffle posted:

She eventually got over her prejudice and came to accept him properly, which was more character progression than most of the other leads got over 7 seasons.
She always felt like that person that gets shifted into your worksite and just spends most of their time complaining about how much better her old place was/how you're lacking this/bitching about doing more work. Then they take long absences because they're unhappy and at the end of the year are either surprised that everyone thinks working with them is a pain or leaves suddenly and makes everyone else cover their assignment.

Anyway, Pulaski only changes her tune after Data cures her of old person disease.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

sunday at work posted:

People want to live in Manhattan because that is where things happen. No amount of replicators are going to make more tickets for Hamilton.
Yeah, but the Holoconcert version of it is just as good. My local holotheatre was packed.

My LCARs diagnostician/Isolinear systems manager friend has a holosuite in his house and he said it was better than seeing it live. Of course the requisitions he had to apply for that were insane. The wait time for the builders was bad, but thankfully he handles most of the systems calibration himself.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
No street types please Geordie is smart and talks well and furthermore

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Some of those characters profiles... "she treats Picard and Number One like they're saints"? What the hell Roddenberry.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I wanted to check out the Barclay transporter psychosis episode in HD.

I like the advancements the Federation's made in intra-transporter flashlight technology.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Looks like a ToS command badge. But I don't recall those having the red insignia for the show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Star Man posted:

You have discovered the literary term "aliteration" and this gold star.

You mean consonance???

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Trent posted:

The "arrowhead" insignia just evolved from the A in NASA logos iirc, so it would make sense as a generic Starfleet logo
Similarly, they probably thought "Hey, NASA missions have different logos so probably each ship has its own badge!"

And then when StarFleet became less ambiguous and more faux-militaristic, they decided to standardize.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Apollodorus posted:

. Seven of Nine probably has no fixed sexual orientation because she hasn't figured it out yet - hence her making a pass at Harry Kim.
7's probably pansexual/poly because she was plugged into the Borg Internet since she was, like, 12. The erotica of million species, hardwired and mainlined into her Hu-Mon brain.

Her return to Earth leads to a bunch of fanfic and NEETs everywhere develop their own OCDNS "Borgsona" partners for her.

(No really she'd probably be asexual to a large degree).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaz-L posted:

I know Fuller himself is gay, but is it really a hallmark of his shows? Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies didn't have any gay leads, Wonderfalls had the main character's closeted sister... was Hannibal just super queer?
Pretty sure Daisy(?), the replacement Rebecca Gay Harding Reaper, was bisexual due to her many Hollywood antics.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tighclops posted:

When I think of all the other garbage TV shows that were Star Trek's contemporaries than yeah, I think it's still pretty loving progressive until Voyager when they seemed to stop caring about such things
Actually Voyager is very progressive. It shows us that alien blacktinas, negroid Vulcans, cat pedophiles, autistic robochicks, holohumans, space Indians and Harry KIm can all become boring, bland honkeys.

If that isn't utopian and a fulfillment of MLKjr's vision, then I don't know what is mate.

Also the best Trek was the Futurama tribute episode.
"Fascinating, Captain. And logical also"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 9, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm watching season 2 of TNG and I think it's funny that about halfway through they decided that Data shouldn't be completely autistic all the time.
My favorite are the "surprised crew reactions" that happen now and then. Will Data sperg or will he join in on the emotion?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Paradoxish posted:

Also, the explosion of serialized TV predates Netflix anyway. It really started taking off in the late 90s and early 00s. DS9 was a little ahead of its time, but only a little bit.
The X-Files exploded in 92. DS9 and B5 were a year after.

Serialized shows before that were like Dallas and poo poo. X-Files proved that a cinematic style, serialized show could be popular and profitable. The Sopranos afterwards was the gold standard.

Then Lost came around later and everyone thought "I need to write something with a Mystery angle and also it needs to be serialized with dangling plot threads I pull out of my rear end."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cythereal posted:

Bear in mind that Into Darkness's primary writer is a 9/11 Truther and has said in interviews that he wrote it as an allegory for "what really happened and the dangers facing America."
Is this some Bush did 9/11 poo poo?

I don't remember forcing Saddam into service to help us design superhuman anti-terrism weapons.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Voyager is the fastest model in the fleet, with its variable warp field nacelles able to push the engines to warp 9.975336281.

Until you get to the episode where the Doc meets Hollo AndyDick on the USA prototype ship Badass TRIPLE SEPARATION VECTOR ASSAULT BATTLE MASTER. That ship goes 9.9754!

But then you get stupid rear end loving alternatech like the Trajector field, QUANTUM SLIPSTREAM, Transwarp and Kes' PsychoCrusher Superwarp that just means writers can pull bullshit out of their rear end to Gotta go Fast!

Also gently caress TMP because it says impulse is warp .5 WHICH IS JUST RIDICULOUS MAN

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 16, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Eventually TNG meets some aliens who only exist in warpspace and get really mad/die when stuff goes by them at speeds greater than Warp 5.
They're not Warpliens, they just live in an area destabilized by massive amounts of warp traffic.
:goonsay:

Like dudes living by a highway saying "plz don't Roll Coal when you drive by because now all the birds are dead and the air quality sucks"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Subyng posted:

What's wrong with impulse being super low warp?
Warp is FTL travel, so you're telling me impulse engines on a ship that big push it to .5 the speed of light (at least).

:cmon:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
And yet every dinky alien Voyager encounters either tears through their shields or delivers a shot that drops their shield capacity by 10-20%.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Nerdcons have shot up in attendance and visibility since 2000. What used to be 2-3 rooms at the Marriott Marina and some actors past their prime/writers no one knows about/guy who tangentally worked on semi-popular series
with 80 people attending now has to be 3 hotel grand ballrooms plus a few screening rooms plus actual working actors with actual good series'.

And generally, the folks running these things are fans and friends of fans. The amount of Volunteer support that makes these things run is staggering. They're not the kind that work out logistics and payment and are rigorously worried that everything will run on time. And that's before you get to the guys that actually want to swindle everyone.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 21, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Beyond is probably the strongest of the JJtreks. If they had gone with this instead of Into Khanness the overall impression of the reboot would have been vastly stronger. They actually justify that music choice the trailer had and the very dumb BMX motorcross vehicle makes sense as well.

Kirk's plot thread in this one isn't as explicit, but it's a nice progression. Nice semi-callback to WoK's birthday scene with McCoy and Kirk as well.

Chekov's scenes were great, but they unfortunately underscore what a loss Yelchin's untimely passing was. Guy was really talented and I'm glad he got some of the spotlight in this one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tighclops posted:

Is there anybody that didn't like the previous two movies or most other modern blockbusters that was impressed by the latest one?
I've got a friend that didn't like either of the JJtreks, and he's likely not going to watch this one despite my saying that it's a good summer flick.

JJtrek doesn't capture the wonder of exploration or the unknown of the franchise. Honestly, the attitude is kind of written into the DNA of the film, what with Kirk becoming fatigued at his 900+ days in deep space, the routine of it all, and the boring, matter of fact scanning and storage of alien relics by Spock.

Beyond is a really fun action movie with surprising throwbacks to ENT. If you're more interested in a Trek that's based on time traveling to get whalesongs, or throwing yourself against an unknowable cloud with a sentient machine god at its core, this probably won't scratch that itch.

Also, don't bother paying extra for the 3D. I saw it in IMAX 3D and the effects weren't really anything special until the end credits. Not even the swarmships/transport effects were interesting with it.
It's a bit of a disappointment considering how novel Ghostbusters was with it expanding slightly past the screen matting.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 23, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cross-Section posted:

So, if I heard his backstory correctly, Krall and his nebula-planet/drones should also exist in the Prime timeline, right?

Might make for an interesting novel down the line if so.
Unless you buy the theory that Post-Generations trek like ENT is a result of timeline fuckery from that and hence a splinter-timeline

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's also the fact that he's a bit bugfuck crazy from the DNA rejuvenation splicer machine that prolongs his life. It starts as we've crashed on the planet Feds will send help, escalates to my crew is marooned and dying the Feds never came, to they don't loving care about me after all the wars man, to yes maybe kill all Fed humans survival of the fittest conflict make us betterer. Oh, plus that whole It's easy for a captain to get lost out in the great unknown that Kirk wrestles with.

Echo Chamber posted:

Timeline questions...
I think that Franklin has to be Post-Finale ENT. War is over, Federation established, more ships built in the NX-Style and that's when dude gets his captaincy. I thought they said the Franklin was the first Warp 5 ship, so let's say the NXprise achieves Warp 5 but can't hold it, while the Franklin can maintain it without a problem.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Auron posted:

I want more starships in my spaceship movie, give us an Excelsior or something
The Excelsior comes next. Now that Kirk's worked through his survivor's guilt of aging past his father, reintegrated his sense of family, and embraced the unknown, a New Hotness prototype flagship comes along to challenge his stability.

But yeah, no Wolf-359 taking apart the fleet moment during the Yorktown attack was a miss.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Robutt posted:

I've been thinking a little more about STB - was there some technobabble I missed that would explain how the swarm managed to take down the Enterprise so quickly? Their en masse ramming manoeuvre was really cool but there must have been some incidental dialogue about 'shields out of phase' or something right?
Yes plus they take out the deflector array pretty quickly. Shield protect against energy weapons, photon torps and the like. Micrometeorites and other particles are repelled by the deflector array, and it's not absolute -- they still have to navigate around asteroids and big poo poo. . . the ships just push their way through since they're propelled.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What if this actually is set in the future of the TNG timeline? Klingons join the Federation, there's a big technology share, Starfleet restarts the registry numbering, and that's why Discovery looks like an unholy mashup of the two design languages.
The TNG design language is quite different than that thing. More organic lines, sweeps and curves.

That looks like a 80s Fender Flying V made out of a pizza box. So I could buy it as a post TUC/pre-TNG prototype... but then the registry would have to be an NX, right?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Presumably there's nothing to deflect in subspace (new fluidic warp effect aside). They would just jump somewhere else and chill out as they repaired the deflector so they could cruise outta there.

Timby posted:

And, really, it's because Nimoy didn't give a poo poo about the look of the movie. He and Bennett literally had one pre-production meeting with ILM (primarily to discuss blowing up the Enterprise), and then they said, "OK, go do your thing."
I've heard a lot about Nimoy sucking as a director and causing a lot of stress with production staff. Any good stories about that?

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 24, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Timby posted:

Dramarama
Jesus. Nimoy was kind of a dick.

A few years ago he released a photobook of overweight models. He called in as a guest to KROQ's Kevin and Bean show (big mistake) and one of the hosts snuck in a question about wide-angle lenses. (cuz the ladies be fat).

Nimoy's voice went from calm to WhatTheFuckDidYouSayMotherfucker soooo fast. Now I know.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Is this online somewhere? I need to hear it
http://www.kevinandbeanarchive.com/...-2007-11-28.mp3

Skip to about 5:45. Now that I hear it again it's not quite as angry, especially because the other non-jackwad hosts paper it over as quickly as possible.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 24, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nitrousoxide posted:

What was the episode of TNG where some species that had barely achieved space flight/warp drive and had been hitting the enterprise for several hours with laser weapons and doing basically nothing? Like they were down to 99% shields.
If it had been VOY, the second barrage would have disabled their navigational array, caused a breech on deck 7, and left their shields at 82%

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Fighters pretty much have to be remotely piloted ships for Trek. There's no way something that size has a shield generator that'll take a hit from a ship of decent size.

Unless it's some monster like the Defiant

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Same. It could be 2 dudes in a shuttlecraft, but if there aren't good scifi shory stories then this will be a short lived venture. Or at least one I don't want to watch.
Ah, I see you're also a fan of Homeboys in Outer Space!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

So the new show's title will be shortened to STD.

Somebody's gettin' fired for that.
No it won't. It should be DIS or DSC

We don't call the others STV or STDS9, so I don't see a reason to change the naming schemes for a joke.

:goonsay:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
IMAX has these fancy 4k 3D projector systems that use laser diodes to create the light source (or possibly also to break it into RGB, don't exactly remember).

Anyway, the result is one of the clearest, sharpest pictures I've ever seen on a screen doing 3D. I saw TFA with that system and the clarity was just wonderful. Pretty much does away with the drop in brightness that traditional passive 3D comes with.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FlamingLiberal posted:

Urban needs to get more credit for completely falling into the Bones role from minute one of his first appearance in ST09. Like it's scary how close he is to DeForrest Kelley.
I was sold on him the minute he said his Bones line from ST09. Gets across exactly why he's so cantankerous and snarky.

Plus the dude hates his ex wife so much he's out in deep space to get away from her.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

The original premise of the Magnificent Ferengi was going to involve the theft of Rom's enormous dick.
Additionally, their cranial earlobe things were supposed to basically be their balls, so Oomox was way more hands on.

Though god knows why Gene Roddenberry wanted schluby guys with bad teeth to be known as remarkably adept lovers :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's hard to have an enemy be taken seriously if they're fidgety little goblins. Keep in mind the 'faster than Wyatt Earp on a bad day' would have been too expensive for them to sell with SFX on a regular basis, so that would be out too.

It's a lot more imposing and scary if the master manipulator sneaks have some charisma. That's a large part of why the Cardassians work. You're never sure if they're in a long con or actually friendly.