Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bit of Beyond nerdery:

they didn't move the neck forward, but I guess it's the next best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Shatnerverse is basically 'Jim Kirk is better than everyone else suck it Picard.'

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Otisburg posted:

He got to command a jet-black Defiant-class ship rechristened the Enterprise for the duration of his mission.

I can't remember if that was the one where he married a smoking hot half-Klingon-half-Romulan chick, or was that one of the other ones.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Did Shatner actually write those books or did he just come up with an idea and have that husband and wife write it?

The latter, presumably. They're credited as co-authors.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Marshal Radisic posted:

Mind you, none of this holds a candle to their DS9 Millenium trilogy, where the second book pretty much becomes Trek's answer to WH40K, complete with Ayatollah Weyoun leading the Bajorans against the remains of Starfleet led by Alzheimer's Picard.

Yeah, but that was loving awesome.

Second book end with the bad guys destroying the universe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's not hard to tell, just look at if the deflector housing looks curvy and well-made or abrupt and lovely I've wasted my life

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spalec posted:

Is there any reason to watch TNG/DS9/VOY in air order rather then just watch each series and then move on to the next? Were there much in the way of crossovers?

I know Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel had a few where you had to bounce back and forth between the shows to get the most out of the story, anything like that on Star Trek?

Briefly between TNG and DS9. A single crossover and the running Marquis storyline. It's episodic enough you don't need to bounce episode-to-episode, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

King Possum III posted:

I remember an episode where one of the characters was talking about latinum being more practical than whatever their currency was before, saying something to the effect of "it beats having to make change with an eyedropper."

Pretty sure that was the gold pressing - latinum is normally liquid.

Supposedly the thing about latinum was that it was unreplicatable, or at least cost more in energy/source matter to replicate than it was worth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I expect that for energy, replicators, and most things, it's like we regard my 1000GB internet monthly cap. Theoretically there, but practically irrelevant. Abuse it heavily and you might get capped. But if I want to do something large-scale and public, I'd need to go through a process to apply for more, like today to do large scale hosting I'd need a hosting plan.

Prime real estate is the big question, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

That's a really good point. If we have transporter technology, or even maglev technology, then someone could live in Schenectady but beam/maglev into Manhattan once or twice a week to see Broadway shows, eat at restaurants (presumably there would be a waiting list for reservations, which wouldn't cost anything but you'd have to wait your turn), go to museums, etc.

Yeah. With transporters or very fast on-call aircars I'd imagine that cities would end up mostly dissolving as residential areas and living would be spread across the land in endless villages more than anything else, with people fast-travelling to the cities for social and occupational reasons.

This actually came up when Rodenberry was making TMP: the San Francisco matte painting has much of the city replaced by greenery.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 6, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

You don't really even need cities for social gathering. With cargo transporters and endless energy, you could have a pop-up bar or restaurant anywhere in the world.

Just attach engines to your house and keep the party going forever.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was going Life, the Universe, and Everything, but sure, why not.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Knormal posted:

Not to mention you wouldn't need to devote huge tracts of land to farming, ranching, and the like with replicators. You could fill the Midwest and similar areas with tract housing or skyscrapers, alongside whatever areas they set aside for nature preserves. Or if they need all the space for people, just shove all the buffalo and sage grouse in a holodeck and call it a preserve.

Plus in TNG they were getting ready to raise a new continent in the middle of the Atlantic.

The current global population density is about 47/sq km or 120/sq mile. They'd probably be able to spread out so much that lots of the Earth would approach that, though I imagine a village approach would be popular.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 6, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

(Maybe this is the point of the Atlantis project: mass housing in an ecologically non-important area.)

I'd love it if Trek 2017 visits Earth and the entire moon is enclosed in a bubble and the surface is a verdant paradise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

King Possum III posted:

I want to fornicate with Captain Picard.

Commander Riker is welcome to join us if he's up for a threesome.

I was never much into any of the TNG fellas, to be honest.

Sisko, though. Mmm hmm.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

No street types please Geordie is smart and talks well and furthermore

Interesting that they were thinking of a Jamaican accent.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

drat right Sisko. And I met Cirroc Lofton a couple of years ago at a con. Totes would.

Rockin' the Sisko look there. drat right.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently he has a daughter in Beyond, too - I assume she'll be named Demora.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He seems to think this'll imply that his Sulu was closeted, which is what he's against, but the fact that both timeliness have Demora implies Takei's Sulu was just gay offscreen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

That sentence perfectly encapsulates why many view it as a kind of cheap.

Showing that a poorly realized character is straight doesn't add to the character in any appreciable way. If you are treating sexuality as something beyond a gimmick, the same can be said about showing a character as gay.

He wasn't saying that, he was just saying that because he was so poorly characterised up to now there was nothing locking down his orientation.

remusclaw posted:

Showing that it isn't big deal in the future to be queer is a great sentiment and all but really isn't enough, because right now, it is a big deal.

Ehhh, it's how Trek did (real) race, too. Show it's not a big deal, say no more about it. Of course, they also paired it with heavy-handed metaphor episodes, but this is a movie.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 8, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

If he wants more original character LGBTQ representation in Trek, he should be talking to Fuller. Get a queer person on the bridge in the new show. gently caress it, have a transgender person as the captain.

It's Fuller, the two things we can expect are gays and death.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Maybe Prime Sulu was closeted and JJ Sulu embraced his true sexuality.

The very concept of the closet still existing in 300 years is horrible and not an acceptable explanation given the general optimism of Trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

KurdtLives posted:

So maybe Sulu could be Bi or Homoflexible? Then settles down with a nice gent and they get Demora one way or another.

Why? As observed, he never was really shown being much into women in TOS. He's the only major character who didn't have a love interest at any point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Otisburg posted:

It's hard to take you seriously when you won't even fix your spellcheck back to Romulan Rihannsu. :rolleyes:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

What makes it modern, though, that's the question. I think you can have a drama program which isn't necessarily mired in grit or disintegrating marriages or whatever.

One of Bryan Fuller's last shows had the two main characters as children losing parents on the same day in the first five mibutes of the show, every single one of his shows has been filled with endless death and tragedy, and yet somehow with the exception of Hannibal it's all been as far away from grit as possible.

Pushing Daisies is the happiest, brightest show about constant death ever made.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 11, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

drat a Yesterday's Enterprise film with the Ent-A coming through the time rift and with the actual Narendra III battle scene shown on screen would have been baller af.

gently caress it, best of all worlds. Throw generations and first contact together, have the Borg go back to Kirk era, Picard and Kirk team up to fight them. Then we call that the only movie for TNG.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can't imagine Yesterday's Enterprise as a movie. There simply isn't enough meat on those bones. And then you run into the very issue that tanked the TOS vs TNG concept; the writers couldn't make both crews heroic without one of them ending up as the clear "villain".

The biggest issue about Yesterday's Enterprise as a film is that it wouldn't be about the known characters.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hyperriker posted:

I always lose my poo poo about how good Picard's quarters looked with the Amargosa sunlight flooding through the windows. Absolutely terrific. Guinan's room as well.

Plus,

Ten forward, too. Although it was almost unrecognisable.

And for all that Stellar Cartography was a waste of money, I do love it as basically the one time we see them get to properly realise TNG ideas for cool computer poo poo. It is such a pity that TNG wasn't made in the modern CG era when they could've done things like that all the time easily. Voyager never tried.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 12, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Best part is the JJTimeline tribble.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tyson Tomko posted:

Say what you want about Voyager, but you can't say they didn't try at least a little. They did stellar cartography and had a stupid yet doable excuse behind it. Ensign Kim and 7 of 9 along with some Borg technology and bam badass sensors 100x better than what they had or some jazz. It was clearly a way to show stuff on a huge display for dramatic effect but it worked and was pretty cool.

I mean in terms of innovating future tech and interface ideas, being Sci-fi about it; Voyager's astrometrics was just a big screen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

I want most of the aliens to be incomprehensible masses of waving fronds

Potplant on a roomba, got it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Oooh, I also want a Star Trek where there's so many synthetic life forms that they literally crowd out living sentients. Take the DATA SO SPECIAL thing and turn it on its head; there's so many of them it's obnoxious, and they all have their own particular idiosyncratic ways of being obnoxious

I want a Trek where Deck 9 section 3 is vapour sulphuric acid atmosphere and section 5 is 400 degrees and deck 10 and 11 starboard are entirely submerged and etc

I mean the main characters would only go there occasionally, it wouldn't be too bad production-wise.

Although it's been implied before that Starfleet partially segregates ships based on species, which would make sense for those cases. But the Enterprise could be more diverse as the flagship.

And have an entire population of AI. Some manifest as humanoid holograms. Some look just like weird static.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 13, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

http://movieweb.com/star-trek-beyond-preview-villain-krall/

quote:

Idris Elba revealed in this featurette, which comes courtesy of YouTube, that he felt like he was "destroying a legacy" by watching the U.S.S. Enterprise "crash and burn." When this rebooted franchise started, the Enterprise ship was NCC-1701, and not the original NX-01 from the original TV series. During an interview from April, Simon Pegg made reference to an NX ship, and since we've seen the NCC-1701 ship get destroyed in posters and footage, many believe that the U.S.S. Enterprise crew will transition to the NX-01 ship at some point during Star Trek Beyond, to pay homage to the iconic original series.

Man, someone really skimmed the wiki article.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Otisburg posted:

Well if you want another "in-universe" reason, Starfleet isn't a "military", and even in the modern military there are often options about how and which uniform to wear that are at the discretion of the individual outside of specific duties or formations/parades, beyond just stuff getting phased out. When I was an air force media guy I could wear the camouflage pajamas or the blue polyester suit pretty much at my discretion most of the time.

So pyjamas, right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trent posted:

Counterpoint.

I laugh out loud every time I watch it.

I kinda wish we'd seen this scene from the other side in the middle of a Sisko-heavy episode instead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

It always bothered me, if these two are Starfleet, why aren't they in uniform?

It's like cops vs police detectives. They're too cool for uniforms.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okan170 posted:

Bridge looks nicer with toned-down lighting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEmGpXOLFBk

They threw in a bit of non-blue colour, too. Much better.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Warp is FTL travel, so you're telling me impulse engines on a ship that big push it to .5 the speed of light (at least).

:cmon:

Warp point 5 is supposedly .25c. Considering how fast the E was hauling away from Earth in that shot, sounds about right.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Star Trek.txt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I expect it'll be out on CBS All Access before Netflix, so it'll be a torrent-o-rama anyway.