Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What is this? Some sort of primitive social network?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

For a warrior race the Andorians sure have poncy hair.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Imo if you can tell the difference based on a photo you've wasted your life. I can tell the difference.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nessus posted:

Honestly it would make sense. If it was in the official "canon" universe they're going to be beholden to the TNG/DS9/Voyager stuff which, while in many cases great, was twenty-one seasons of television.

Meanwhile if they set it in this alternate timeline they can draw from that well if they want but they're not going to be "doing it wrong." They could have stuff about the Bajoran resistance. They could introduce the Borg. Have the Mirror Universe be the Fedora Corps under Ferengi hegemony, whatever.

It would make sense to place it long enough after the JJ Trek films to avoid the problem of "OK, so where's the guys who now command feature film salaries?"

Since it's in a different timeline, they can do every plot again! :pseudo:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In the future, thanks to advances in medicine, linguistics and family law, it will finally be possible to have four grandmothers capable of running a marathon. Mankind will finally discover the tetragrandmathon.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSbg4LHVPyk

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I always figured there's an account in a computer somewhere for every Federation citizen, and that it ticks up too fast for most people to ever worry about running low*. But if you want to start buying space ships or urban real estate you need to do something to pull in more credits. By for example running a popular restaurant, or working on a long range cargo hauler.

*Because the means of production have been socialized and automated.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 6, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Also I think all transactions within the Federation are handled by computer, so most people genuinely never think about money unless it comes to very large transactions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The moon will never be a nice place to live. 14 days of sun and 14 days of night? Yuck.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How can quark be a Jewish stereotype when he doesn't even drink the blood if any Christian children? Talk about projection.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sad that character development is a weak point in the new films when the cast is such a strong point.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you're ready to gently caress an alien already gender can't be much of an obstacle.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

All of this has been posted before...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Astroman posted:

Changing up or ignoring established stuff about the fictional universe annoys the poo poo out of me, whether it's a biographical fact, technical detail, or something big like completely changing the physical appearance of a character

You are That Guy, sorry.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's pretty bad, like most of the first two seasons of DS9.

https://youtu.be/pXb0zcEM-rI

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm totally sold on a feature Yesterday's Enterprise where Woof is the villain and the original crew is the Tasha chump squad. Kirk could even be the guy she falls for.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gonz posted:

A rather spoilerific TV spot for Beyond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=derB59I21Fw

I did some digging regarding that spoiler, and it turns out that Krall was once a human member of the USS Franklin during the Xindi War, and the reason he looks the way he does now is because the planet the ship crashed on had technology to dramatically extend a person's life. The side effect being it changes your DNA. Krall was also apparently a MACO prior to Starfleet, and in this universe, multiple ships fought against the Xindi.

The movie also has a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes with nearly 40 reviews, which is an entirely arbitrary number, but is still encouraging.

YES! Antagonist we've never heard of wants non-specific revenge for something! We've hit the trifecta people!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah what an odd angle.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WickedHate posted:

It's very Starfleet to design something with the intention of being a "true front line heavy cruiser" and calling it Ambassador.

"Front line heavy cruiser" means nothing in any historical context. These website guys are totally making things up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SuperDucky posted:

Jesus you loving nerds, I'm frankly shocked at all the love Beyond is getting. Especially because they tried to go to warp explicitly and immediately after the goddamn deflector had been destroyed.

Wow look at this nerd who doesn't know about the auxiliary deflector in the primary hull.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have to say after playing KSP I'm really impressed at how gracefully the Enterprise failed. Coming in at Mach 15 with holes in the hull and it's still in one piece at the end, and some systems even work? That's the kind of engineering that builds sufficiently advanced mega structures.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The big ppbo with star trek fights is how anyone forces an engagement in the first place.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Why the gently caress would a starship have a stun setting? What could you possibly use that for outside of this one specific case?

It's easy to see why it would be useful. Maybe it's so useful that it's become a standard tool in the phaser system, and you can dial-a-yield for stun-from-orbit accounting for range and atmospheric interference etc.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like that Starfleet ships apparently have some routine that teaches English to aliens who find the ship. If you think about it that would be a real concern in space salvage.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You guys can't ignore that sabotage-related trivia is an established part of the movies.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

"Discovery" isn't exactly a good name for a warship. Sounds more like a science vessel.

They HAVE to have an AI if they're going with that name.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The American namesake of Enterprise was a schooner with a few pop guns, not a 2 decker.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Spanker isn't a strange name, it's a sail.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Little theme chat from Beyond: both Kirk and Spock consider trying to live up to their idols by doing something out of character and in the end decide to do what they want instead. Notably kirk rides a motorcycle and listens to beastie boys and is happy about it and comfortable with himself, contrasting with the first movie where those were both symbols of a rebellious unhappy kid. If you mentioned you felt that the cast felt comfortable in their roles for the first time, I think that's an intentional theme.

Both Kirk and Spock finally resolve their daddy issues in this episode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah the old Earth soldier kept alive by alien war lostech was an interesting foil for once.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I was in IMAX 3D with a fancy new laser projector and it was astonishing.

What's that

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

IMAX has these fancy 4k 3D projector systems that use laser diodes to create the light source (or possibly also to break it into RGB, don't exactly remember).

Anyway, the result is one of the clearest, sharpest pictures I've ever seen on a screen doing 3D. I saw TFA with that system and the clarity was just wonderful. Pretty much does away with the drop in brightness that traditional passive 3D comes with.

Hornby

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Yeah. Plus, it's presumably a pretty small black hole. Which wouldn't actually have any effect even if it was relatively close to Earth. It'd just act like an extra planet. But black. And hole-ish.

Small black holes evaporate quickly anyway.

A b hole small enough to evaporate on a minutes time scale would have all the gravity of a pebble.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've spent the last few days rewatching the Xindi arc, and I can tell you now that once they establish the premise and introduce Degra, the season gets very good.

No it was bad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The really annoying thing was how bad everything was, including the cringe-worthy space 9/11.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gau posted:

At one point Riker comments that a ship's laser weapons "wouldn't even penetrate our navigational deflector." Go ahead and explain to me how that works.

The navigational deflector is really two things, a force field and a scanning beam array.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

STB dropped 60% this weekend, which isn't great. That's the worst drop of the three JJTrek films.

That happens when you generate negative word of mouth on your first two titles xf start truck enterprise

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Talking about Star Trek is silly as hell

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

The worst part of that episode to me is how Nog didn't use his authority as an actual real officer (albeit a pretty new one) and order them to quit acting like retards.

loving cadets.

Didn't the acting captain say some bullshit about being the real captain as long as they're out of contact? I don't think that would have stuck even if he'd tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

He's not stupendously wealthy, no, but he has a solid business with a good income which lets him employ people and even take care of his widowed mother. Cousin Gaela owned a moon, sure, but he was in a phenomenally risky business and eventually lost it all. Quark is a solid ferengi, the backbone of a stable economy.

I don't know whether other Ferengi would sneer about him not paying rent or commend him for taking advantage of Federation idiocy.