Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm glad I'm not number one in posts in the thread anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it's been used before, which is why I was hoping for something better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's dumb because why wouldn't the Borg just go straight to Earth to start assimilating people?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did Shatner actually write those books or did he just come up with an idea and have that husband and wife write it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does CBS even have the rights to the events of the Kelvin Universe? They don't even have to say what time line it is in. They could just set it whenever they want and say "shut up nerd" when on of the captain's rib's is struck twice like xylophone yet plays two different tones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was my thought. There's no point in paying Paramount to license the Kelvin Universe when it seems like they don't want the show to be related to any other Star Trek content except in name.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Spalec posted:

Is there any reason to watch TNG/DS9/VOY in air order rather then just watch each series and then move on to the next? Were there much in the way of crossovers?

I know Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel had a few where you had to bounce back and forth between the shows to get the most out of the story, anything like that on Star Trek?

When DS9 starts, there's a quick crossover episode for each. On TNG they go to DS9 and do whatever. On DS9, Picard shows up and Sisko is all "You killed my wife." A thing happens for Voyager too I think. Each is self contained and you don't need to do simultaneous watches or anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
As a doctor, wouldn't she have been an expert on what is alive? They had that robot guy testifying, I'd figure they'd have some kind of doctor as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Trent posted:

That is a question of philosophy, or perhaps psychology (since Data's sapience was more important than his merely being alive) not physiology. The "not alive" side could have had an MD on as a stunt witness pretty much, but it was a given that he wasn't an evolved biological life form so what more would she say?

I guess that's more of a question for the Lal episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's like the Sims. You pick a career field and then you start at the bottom. First you're a busboy, then you're a waiter, then you're a cook, then you own a restaurant, then you're the president. But most of the time you are standing in your standard issue living cubicle, pissing yourself.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 5, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
After a couple centuries of existence, Data's entire life would be meeting a person and then immediately watching them age and die.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Starfleet pays the crew a stipend so they can go to alien worlds and buy things. They have no need for it on a starship or on a Federation planet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You don't really even need cities for social gathering. With cargo transporters and endless energy, you could have a pop-up bar or restaurant anywhere in the world.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wasn't the point that over time the other girl's memories would take over and that's what happened?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So gene was a complete rear end in a top hat.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Chaos on the bridge is a good watch to see how much Gene really hosed up early TNG.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Star Man posted:

Weird.

Instead, we got that one lady to play the role in "The Naked Now" and she was never seen again.

And Gene liked Frakes's beard that he grew between seasons one and two and told him to keep it because it made him look more nautical. I'm okay with that decision.

Didn't Frakes have the beard before the show? They made him shave it off for Star Trek and then he grew it back for the second season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"This character is super hot with giant boobs and she's always naked and she likes to have sex with me all the time. Also I, Gene Rodenberry, am a character in the show. I teach all the women how to love." Mail this to the studio, Leonard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If they didn't have a Saucer Sep™ in the pilot, there would have never been a saucer separation because it would be too expensive to film later.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Star Man posted:

You have discovered the literary term "aliteration" and this gold star.

I don't think you know what alliteration means.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They should make Kirk be gay.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://twitter.com/JohnTheCho/status/751254241885364226

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Lt. Sassy is a Gaybaloid, a race that's entirely gay. *winks at camera*

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe Asian parents are still the same in 300 years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just watched "Relics" and how the hell were they able to just let Scotty go like that? Starfleet Command would poo poo themselves to get their hands on him.

Why? While he was gone for 75 years it's not like that was long enough that he'd have crazy information for them. After all. McCoy was still alive at the beginning of TNG.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Baka-nin posted:

Social Justice, point scoring? Ha ha not even close, its called scrutiny. I'm saying Treks constant for decades trumpeting of its own achievements doesn't stand up to it. Which you've just confirmed with your bitter white knighting (see I can use hip net slang too), so no I'm not being disingenuous at all, I'm being accurate, so thanks for the validation I guess. Seriously pointing out that they had to go with a take because of the sabotage of the actors doesn't help your point at all, it undermines it.
I don't care if a franchise chooses to play it safe for the sake of its business, I take issue when a franchise plays it safe then spends years patting itself on the back for how bold and willing to take risks etc. Because that is being disingenuous, had the Trek team been honest and said, "we took some risks with our casting and pushed the envelope out on some episodes, but due to the attitudes of TV markets we unfortunately had to spike a few more interesting ideas, or change them up a bit", I'd be fine with it.

Oh and get some perspective, mate, receiving hatemail and angry phone calls isn't impressive (should we praise the Brady Bunch for Cousin Oliver?), neither is the risk of losing ad revenue from the American South East, especially not when your comparing it to the actual struggles and there dangers that Trek timidly trailed.

I don't know how you can be so obtuse. It's not like the script gods send a script down from heaven and all the bigoted white people said "Oh darn, we have to make this script where a controversial thing happens. We can't get around this, we are forced to do this thing we hate." They still did the things in the first place. They could have just made a safe show within the rules of TV at the time and no one would have cared but they decided to push the boundaries even if the boundaries still had to be within the rules. To our minds today, it seems tame and not a big deal, but it was huge when they aired.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nessus posted:

I heard they got fewer furious letters over Kirk and Uhura than they expected. I think the only one that got reported was some Southern guy saying "I do not approve of the mixing of the races... however when a red blooded American like Kirk ends up with a woman who looks like Uhura in his arms, this response of his is only natural."

"I don't like the blacks but I sure would like to have sex with one."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it was a great example of heroes not living up to their expectations. In later years, he's more formal because he's making public appearances. In that instance, he's just some guy building a space rocket in a post-war wasteland.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Platonicsolid posted:

Paramount wanted a pile of :10bux:

Pretty much. CBS got their turn, time to squeeze out what's left.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Why did the TOS crew get movies, and why wouldn't that reason also have applied to TNG?

Star wars came out. A sci-fi movie can make lots of money so they brought back star trek. They continued with TNG because they still had sets and costumes and people still went to star trek movies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Well he's dead now, no one can stand Shatner, and none of the living actors had big enough characters to warrant showing up in a movie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Timby posted:

WHAT THE gently caress IS AN AFT NACELLE

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Hyperriker posted:

I always lose my poo poo about how good Picard's quarters looked with the Amargosa sunlight flooding through the windows. Absolutely terrific. Guinan's room as well.

Plus,

They had money for these 19th century uniforms but needed to borrow DS9's Star Trek uniforms.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Geordi actually died and they replicated a new one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MikeJF posted:

So pyjamas, right?

Depends. The pajamas were half polyester and half nylon. In the summer, it was sometimes better to wear grandpa's suit than the non-breathing pajamas.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If my clone was more successful than me, I'd murder him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What if the "clones" were the real crew members who were sedated and the other ones were the clones thinking they were the originals and they choose to kill what they think are clones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Man I love DS9 but these Ferenghi centric episodes are pretty dire.

Is this some sort of new slang the kids are using for cool like "man that's so dire."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"I'm with Starfleet, we don't lie."

"We did a yeager loop and Josh was a bitch rear end pussy and killed himself."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Worf is a Russian guy who read about honor and glory in a book and got it wrong.