Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015
a friend of mine was in town for an event. we didn't do so well there, but the day after we got tons of flight time in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTDXRKbA0GE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can one of these things lift a Guinea Pig? Asking purely hypothetically.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
But what are the military applications?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

JohnnySavs posted:

Weaponized Guinea pig delivery system

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JohnnySavs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEaso_MWcbs&t=3s

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

spud posted:

Can one of these things lift a Guinea Pig? Asking purely hypothetically.

how big of a guinea pig?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

the 720p stream has some pretty bad compression on it

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

Prettz posted:

the 720p stream has some pretty bad compression on it

weird, its been published for a few days. sometimes youtube can take a week to get the lower quality streams processed fully though.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nine_eos posted:

how big of a guinea pig?

I just weighed him and he is 0.9kg, so like 2lbs.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMsaZ0Sizsc

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

you should tie really long ribbons to some drones and do the star wars tow cable thing on some fat guys

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

a hole-y ghost posted:

you should tie really long ribbons to some drones and do the star wars tow cable thing on some fat guys

rofl...

pretty much the funniest comment i've ever had in one of my threads here.

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

spud posted:

I just weighed him and he is 0.9kg, so like 2lbs.

+mounting device

the ones in the video wouldn't carry him well, but we could build one that could.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nine_eos posted:

+mounting device

the ones in the video wouldn't carry him well, but we could build one that could.

Make it so number one. He deserves to be a pilot.

I really enjoyed your video by the way.

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

spud posted:

Make it so number one. He deserves to be a pilot.

I really enjoyed your video by the way.

thanks man, ive been wanting to add more context to my videos. i'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
what would it cost me to build a copy of the thing that you fly around assuming i am starting from scratch?

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

PromethiumX posted:

what would it cost me to build a copy of the thing that you fly around assuming i am starting from scratch?

the drone will be anywhere from $3-500
controller $150-250
goggles $100-500

tack on another $200 for batteries/entry level charger/tools/etc

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
how do you feel about drone pilots flying over wildfires forcing the all fire fighter aircraft to be grounded?

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

Edgar posted:

how do you feel about drone pilots flying over wildfires forcing the all fire fighter aircraft to be grounded?

i think grounding all fire fighting aircraft is pretty extreme, but clearly the people flying drones are idiots.

glad they're writing laws about behavior and not equipment though.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

nine_eos posted:

the drone will be anywhere from $3-500
controller $150-250
goggles $100-500

tack on another $200 for batteries/entry level charger/tools/etc

The hell do you do with a $500 pair of goggles?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Where does Team Losi fit into all this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX3HBRdrESs

Technology has improved.

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

The General posted:

The hell do you do with a $500 pair of goggles?

enjoy the picture quality

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nine_eos posted:

a friend of mine was in town for an event. we didn't do so well there, but the day after we got tons of flight time in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTDXRKbA0GE

how many birds did you kill?

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

Zeluth posted:

Where does Team Losi fit into all this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX3HBRdrESs

Technology has improved.

I think Losi is owned by Horizon Hobby

Horizon makes Spektrum radios which is one of my sponsors. they also partnered with immersion rc and are selling a version of the vortex pro which is almost ready to fly out of the box (just bring your own radio and goggles)

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nine_eos posted:

Horizon makes Spektrum radios which is one of my sponsors. they also partnered with immersion rc and are selling a version of the vortex pro which is almost ready to fly out of the box (just bring your own radio and goggles)

Neato!

I had a friend who had access to a steel cutting process. I put my RC through loving torture. Always asking for new shock supports.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
now THIS is drone racing

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

nine_eos posted:

i think grounding all fire fighting aircraft is pretty extreme, but clearly the people flying drones are idiots.

glad they're writing laws about behavior and not equipment though.

I like your videos and the parking garage was very cool and different, but I totally disagree with the bolded part. When the stakes are crashing your airplane into a drone (or anything, really) and having nowhere to make an emergency landing except into a burning forest, then grounding all air traffic isn't too extreme. I agree with the rest, though.

Anyway, I'm glad you're still posting these. On top of building my own plywood sailboatcoffin, drone flying is one of those hobbies I want to get into after I get out of debt.

Come to think of it, recording from a drone while sailing sounds pretty awesome. Have you ever done any over-water flying? I remember watching some highway footage that you took while in a car, which was also pretty neat.

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

Airborne Viking posted:

I like your videos and the parking garage was very cool and different, but I totally disagree with the bolded part. When the stakes are crashing your airplane into a drone (or anything, really) and having nowhere to make an emergency landing except into a burning forest, then grounding all air traffic isn't too extreme. I agree with the rest, though.

Anyway, I'm glad you're still posting these. On top of building my own plywood sailboatcoffin, drone flying is one of those hobbies I want to get into after I get out of debt.

Come to think of it, recording from a drone while sailing sounds pretty awesome. Have you ever done any over-water flying? I remember watching some highway footage that you took while in a car, which was also pretty neat.

i understand why they make the policies they do, but realistically i don't see a drone doing more damage than a bird. i have no problem with a better safe than sorry policy, there just seems to be this general mass hysteria when it comes to drones.

i haven't really flown over water much, haven't really had many opportunities. i try to stay away from people as much as possible and all the cool water spots near me have lots of people usually.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Airborne Viking posted:

Is there actual research on the chance of small, light drones damaging airplanes that are in flight? Have there been any incidents?

You could fly most consumer and racing drones into the body/wings of a plane and it wouldn't do a thing.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 4, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
love your vids man not sure the direction of 'just high speed racing' to 'bonus 12 minutes of me talking in a parking lot and taking vape breaks' is the best direction to go though

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
also if you hooked a vape up to your quad copter could you set it up so a button makes it take a fat vape toke and since the blades are shooting air down you fly it above your head for a vape burst as you lean your nostrils up and snort a huge vape cloud from the toy robot

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i flew a drone for the first time last wednsday. i was afraid of it landing on a neighbors roof or something and also i was on like 2 xanax bars. it was great

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i would probably make a badass drone racer or something

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

extra stout posted:

love your vids man not sure the direction of 'just high speed racing' to 'bonus 12 minutes of me talking in a parking lot and taking vape breaks' is the best direction to go though

yeah its not for everyone, especially this edit which turned out to be over 17 minutes...

i still publish a bunch of flying only videos, but they lend themselves more to other platforms with autoplay (like instagram and facebook)

with youtube you generally have people that have already clicked through to your video vs just auto play, and they're most likely listening to the audio. providing additional context makes sense in that case i think.

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

the great deceiver posted:

i would probably make a badass drone racer or something

dooooooooooo it

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Any good links on how to build one? Parts list? What's a good website to buy parts?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

nine_eos posted:

yeah its not for everyone, especially this edit which turned out to be over 17 minutes...

i still publish a bunch of flying only videos, but they lend themselves more to other platforms with autoplay (like instagram and facebook)

with youtube you generally have people that have already clicked through to your video vs just auto play, and they're most likely listening to the audio. providing additional context makes sense in that case i think.

i think you want to re-evaluate your theory that people who are watching videos on a website entirely devoted to watching videos are just listening to the audio.

ive always wanted to do something like this as a little kid with RC airplanes and now its A Thing but im pretty much completely uninterested in quadcopters, are people doing this with mini planes or is it entirely quadcopters

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Khorne posted:

Is there actual research on the chance of small, light drones damaging airplanes that are in flight? Have there been any incidents?

You could fly most consumer and racing drones into the body/wings of a plane and it wouldn't do a thing.

birds, dude

birds

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Edgar posted:

how do you feel about perpetuating untrue myths?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/529135-drones-delay-firefighter-response-ca-fire-2.html#post1893131

quote:

I happen be very close friends with RC pilots who were flying at Cajon Pass that day. I can also state that they ALL landed immediately after being asked to do so. 2 of them were near the end of an 8-hour flight needed to achieve the highest level in the soaring achievement program of the League of Silent Flight. One of them is also a full scale pilot and long time military program UAV pilot. He is also a well known model maker for the movies and has flown RC planes in numerous Hollywood blockbusters. So these are serious folks who are accomplished RC and full scale pilots and they abandoned their record attempts without question or hesitation. BTW, all the planes they were flying were larger than 4-foot spans and none of them interfered with any fire-fighting activities in the area.- Bill Malvey

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngog...k/#2928eaf2279e

quote:

Contrary to what one would expect from all the media hype about the risks posed to manned aircraft by today’s popular quadcopters, the FAA’s list of sightings does not support the position that these small hobby helicopters – including the most popular Phantom models manufactured by DJI – pose a significant danger to aircraft. What the list does support is that the FAA is keeping a record of all drone sightings it receives regardless of whether the reports indicate a safety problem or not. In fact, some of the reports listed conclude that there was no actual or potential safety impact. The list contains a number of reports of quadcopters operating overhead but no indication of any safety impact at all to persons, property or manned aircraft. It’s not clear to me what purpose this list serves the FAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

Tony Homo posted:

Any good links on how to build one? Parts list? What's a good website to buy parts?

ive actually got a video for that too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47GPwnscJHw

• Locked thread