Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MorgaineDax posted:

Doesn't the book have Julianne Moore's character the pregnant one, and the black refugee girl doesn't even exist?

Yes. Also, I think it's believed that it's men who are sterile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Pull my finger.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

this movie is great and I love it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Young Freud posted:

Why don't they just grab an egg, stab it with dna, and put it back?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Why don't they just grab an egg, stab it with dna, and put it back?

pretty sure even the stuff in storage went bad, too

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Young Freud posted:

Correct. This also makes the book super depressing because the (unknown at the time) father of the baby is brutally murdered by young punks halfway through the book. Sooooo there goes hope for mankind?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Captain Splendid posted:

Pull my finger.

Dear God I actually heard this in my head in Michael Caine's voice.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kaedric posted:

Correct. This also makes the book super depressing because the (unknown at the time) father of the baby is brutally murdered by young punks halfway through the book. Sooooo there goes hope for mankind?

Not really, I believe the baby is a boy in the book as well.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Moosechees posted:

Yeah, after Lowtax made a sticky declaring it the best movie ever made in the history of man it practically became a bannable offense to not like it.
i thought it was epg

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I rewatched because of this threat and it's a really good movie, agreed

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I rewatched because of this threat and it's a really good movie, agreed

Same

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

funkybottoms posted:

pretty sure even the stuff in storage went bad, too

I mean like grab an egg from a regular woman, take a dude's cell, pitch the DNA you don't need to make it haploid or whatever, then inject it into the egg. Then implant the zygote.

trust me I got degrees from thunderbird college I know this is totally doable and can't go wrong

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
The decision to make the cause of the sterility a mystery is a huge plus for the film. I never read the book. But I think by the tone of the film that the feeling of the world being lost in a way that is beyond our power is very effective. It's been a while since I have seen it. But was there a mention of miscarriages when it happened? It is literally the loss of hope. And the fact that at the end we don't even know if there is a "cure" for what's happened or if this baby was a fluke. It fits the theme perfectly. You get a sense that the people who rescue them on the ship represent the best part of humanity and no matter what the mother and child will be cared for. Or not, if you are a cynical oval office.

NigelsPoppet
Jul 22, 2015
Remember forcing several friends to watch this instead of happy feet at the theatre when I was in High School, good times

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

NigelsPoppet posted:

Remember forcing several friends to watch this instead of happy feet at the theatre when I was in High School, good times

my friends took me out for dinner on my birthday, then we went and saw this

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

"Soo lissen: we knoo where yoo live, we knoo where-"

"Your breath stinks."

"Noo it doesn't!"

Charlie Hunnan's best role, hands down.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Lonos Oboe posted:

The decision to make the cause of the sterility a mystery is a huge plus for the film. I never read the book. But I think by the tone of the film that the feeling of the world being lost in a way that is beyond our power is very effective. It's been a while since I have seen it. But was there a mention of miscarriages when it happened? It is literally the loss of hope. And the fact that at the end we don't even know if there is a "cure" for what's happened or if this baby was a fluke. It fits the theme perfectly. You get a sense that the people who rescue them on the ship represent the best part of humanity and no matter what the mother and child will be cared for. Or not, if you are a cynical oval office.

The film (to me) seems to indicate that the baby solved the problem, since as it fades to black/shows the credits, the sound of children playing together is heard. I guess if you are cynical you can view that as a sound lost in the past, but to me it indicated the future.

Book is way more bleak.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lonos Oboe posted:

You get the impression from Miriam's conversation with Theo in the abandoned school that there was some sort of rash of miscarriages and premature births, with the miscarriages happening earlier and earlier until there were no pregnancies.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
It's a solid movie with some incredible sequences but one of my favorite bits is when they're in the town before the big battle and you see a squad of govt soldiers patrolling the street and fish rebels sneaking along the rooftops after them

it's such a claustrophobic, tense shot that foreshadows the hostilities soon to come. Highly effective. Now cough

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

NigelsPoppet posted:

I remember going to see happy feet and liking it even though my family hated it, and only hearing about children of men until 5 or 6 years after it came out

people poo-poo happy feet but, trust me, it was an enjoyable family film. and then the director went on to make loving mad max 4

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Man, I hope the inevitable Gravity re-watch thread is as cool and informative...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If you like this movie for the atmosphere then you may like The Leftovers, there is a lot of poo poo in the first season but the second is some of the best drama HBO has ever produced.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kaedric posted:

They're hosed either way you need like ~ 10,000 people (iirc, might be more like 5k) to have a viable gene pool that won't just inbreed and collapse in on itself.

Would be a lower number but apparently we already went through a near extinction event :eng101:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

If you like this movie for the atmosphere then you may like The Leftovers, there is a lot of poo poo in the first season but the second is some of the best drama HBO has ever produced.

is lindelof still writing it?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm not sure how much of a part he had in writing the second season.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Moridin920 posted:

They're hosed either way you need like ~ 10,000 people (iirc, might be more like 5k) to have a viable gene pool that won't just inbreed and collapse in on itself.

Would be a lower number but apparently we already went through a near extinction event :eng101:

I suppose the implication is that the condition that is making them sterile may be reversible or something, so those who are currently afflicted can be cured.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Professor Shark posted:

Leftovers is the best show on tv right now imho, too bad next season is the last :(

naem
May 29, 2011

It's no "the road"

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
The Survivalist was really good, thanks to whoever mentioned that in the primitive tech thread

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Maneki Neko posted:

Leftovers is the best show on tv right now imho, too bad next season is the last :(

Shortened 8 episode season, too. I'm fine with that, though, so long as it goes out with the same level of quality as Season 2 (and I really hope we get to see where everyone went, despite that not being the focus of the show and sort of :lost:-y)

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

The Protagonist posted:

The Survivalist was really good, thanks to whoever mentioned that in the primitive tech thread

You're welcome.

Shoot 'em Up is also real good if you want to see Clive Owen reprise his role from Children of Men except with Jason Statham levels of stupid.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

*Frantically skims thread*

Captain Splendid posted:

Pull my finger.

Fuuuuuuuck beaten.

You're a fascist pig.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I thought the road was way more depressing than children of men. children of men had some exciting big budget parts but all I felt during the road's runtime was a constant dread, like something awful was perpetually about to happen

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The road actually made me depressed for a few days and made me decide to not have children.

Like, I don't think about it often but I'm 60% sure that movie is the way life will end up for most of us and if not is for sure our children.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah The Road is insanely depressing.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I gave one of my college gfs a copy of the road to read, she said it made her cry too

Knoddus
Oct 30, 2007
Born in a crossfire hurricane
https://youtu.be/00PohlsHFBM

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
cool man. i'm hapy for you. clive owen is ok in that one. julianne moore too. i thought it was walking dead tho?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah The Road is insanely depressing.

What I liked about the Road is that it has a fairly novel cause for its apocalypse. It's not really explicitly stated, but it appears that the world was put to poo poo because of a super volcano eruption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I thought it was an asteroid strike?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 16, 2016

• Locked thread