Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Captain Invictus posted:

Prettyboy Sameness Syndrome, you can only differentiate them by hair color and theirs is close enough to make it confusing

Plus Yoake is kind of a jerk. In mostly good ways but still obviously a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Argona posted:

Does anyone know where in the manga the anime ends?

There are some changes to make it more of an ending, but the final episode roughly corresponds with chapter 108.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Holy crap this got an anime? I thought this was just a thread for the manga. :neckbeard:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Argona posted:

Does anyone know where in the manga the anime ends?

Around ~108 I think, but I would start at 103 because the Fireworks Festival plays out differently because the webcomic has a lead-in to the next plot arc, but the anime just made it end without it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I love this anime/manga, I've held tonnes of regrets about my youth. :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I love this anime/manga, I've held tonnes of regrets about my youth. :(
Yeah. :smith:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

What's that quote from NHK? "I don't even want to live, but dying's such a hassle. I just want to disappear."

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

filthychimp posted:

But still, what the gently caress is the actual goal of Relife? How is extreme therapy supposed to make them money?

I always assumed it was a "Japanese government project to assimilate hikikomori back into society for the sake of birth rates etc etc" thing. I mean rehabilitation of depressed and/or otherwise emotionally troubled individuals is a good and productive thing in any society in the long run, and it's not like the hikikomori problem in Japan is anything super-recent...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Just finished marathonning this. As someone who left a poo poo workplace after a few months and had it hang over my head for like a year trying to find a new job, this hit me pretty hard. But everything he says about not regretting it is true as hell.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

CryingAthena posted:

I always assumed it was a "Japanese government project to assimilate hikikomori back into society for the sake of birth rates etc etc" thing. I mean rehabilitation of depressed and/or otherwise emotionally troubled individuals is a good and productive thing in any society in the long run, and it's not like the hikikomori problem in Japan is anything super-recent...

Yea, I simplified the premise of this show in my mind as "charter school for NEETs".

Hawke
May 1, 2008
I just finished watching the last episode of this and I don't think I've enjoyed a show this much for ages. A lot of it really seemed to hit home for me and I'm hoping that there'll be another season somehow, as unlikely as that may be. :(

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Hawke posted:

I just finished watching the last episode of this and I don't think I've enjoyed a show this much for ages. A lot of it really seemed to hit home for me and I'm hoping that there'll be another season somehow, as unlikely as that may be. :(

I wouldn't say a second season is impossible, the webcomic is apparently the highest rated series that Comico has, but there isn't going to be enough material to do another season for years

Note that because it's a full-color webcomic published vertical style, even though it's technically weekly the average chapter is like, 8-10 pages long when put together in traditional manga format, and they burned through about a hundred chapters for these 13 episodes.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hawke posted:

The webcomic is still ongoing so it should pick up where the anime ended if I'm reading it correctly from the thread. It's not too bad since there's a fast scanlation group and all.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how can a drug only make your outside younger. That seems really useless to unattractive people.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Because its bullshit Sufficiently Advanced Science Indistinguishable From Magic nonsense

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Also it would ruin the physical fitness and he-has-a-severe-learning-disability jokes otherwise.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
Why don't they just sell the drug and use the trillions of dollars in profits to offset the economic losses of having NEETs permanently out of the workforce instead of an elaborate program to rehabilitate them?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

organism posted:

Why don't they just sell the drug and use the trillions of dollars in profits to offset the economic losses of having NEETs permanently out of the workforce instead of an elaborate program to rehabilitate them?

Give a man money and he'll have money.

Teach a man to earn money, and he'll develop social skills and have money.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

organism posted:

I half suspect that the rehab program is just the "trial run" for the drug before mass market proliferation to get government grant money.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Plus they talk about how being in the ReLIFE program will help them land a job. I strongly suspect the job they're going to land is...in the ReLife program.

I binged through all the episodes and yeah they went really fast through the manga but they took the time to hit the big plot arcs instead of getting hung up on little stuff. Which makes me a little sad, because the absolute best part of the sections they covered and didn't include was---oh gently caress it I'll Just link it (Mild spoilers for the end of episode 10)

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Watched Relife today. Really liked this one, watched it in one siting.

I figured out pretty early that Hishiro was 001, but the story was pretty satisfying nonetheless.

Sadly, it will be some time before a second season comes, as the anime used about 75% of the released source material. I am pretty certain that a second season will be coming eventually though, due to the way the story is progressing in the manga. I will be definitely looking forward to seeing it, when it comes. <3

If someone watches the anime and wants to continue to the manga, I read somewhere to start from ch101 (a little before the 13th episode). Cheers..C:

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 23, 2016

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So, since the Anime was released to binge watch, any chance we can use the thread for the manga as well? Because a new chapter is up.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Seems reasonable to me. I still need to finish this, actually :suicide:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finally got around to actually watching the series and it's nice to look back on what everyone was like in the beginning.

It's nice.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, plus with the anime ending on revealing who subject 001 is, it's actually kind of nice to go back and notice the foreshadowing for it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Krysmphoenix posted:

Yeah, plus with the anime ending on revealing who subject 001 is, it's actually kind of nice to go back and notice the foreshadowing for it.

Speaking of which, question for people who've both read the webtoon and watched the anime.

I'm on episode 8 and they're going into the volleyball arc, which seems like it'll take 2 or 3 more episodes to resolve. So do they skip any of the following to make way for the ending?
Kaizaki visiting the grave
The festival (including Kariu and Oga confessing to each other)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Speaking of which, question for people who've both read the webtoon and watched the anime.

I'm on episode 8 and they're going into the volleyball arc, which seems like it'll take 2 or 3 more episodes to resolve. So do they skip any of the following to make way for the ending?
Kaizaki visiting the grave
The festival (including Kariu and Oga confessing to each other)

That is all in the anime.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That is all in the anime.

Ah, sweet, sweet. I was worried that there might not be enough time but I guess it works out.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anime reaffirms that Inukai is sort of a jerk and probably the only member of the major cast that I don't straight up love.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe he'll get an arc to stop being a poo poo, or maybe he'll always be the lovely, kinda abusive jerk

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

Maybe he'll get an arc to stop being a poo poo, or maybe he'll always be the lovely, kinda abusive jerk

Dragging around a girl with a sprained ankle is not a good thing and the dude's just.... never pleasant.

I hope he turns into a better person.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, this show is so great and enjoyable. I spaced it out as a downtime filler for all the other anime on my commute and I'm so glad I did. I kept wanting to be involved in this wonderfully human world that's been built up, with human characters. Which is rare in anime, to not have all the stuff that is just So Freaking Anime.

ReLIFE could stand on its own as a normal live action show, and that's praise IMO.

I already grabbed the manga, gonna jump right to chapter 100. Now I just need some nice modern low-key jazz for the maximum experience.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MJP posted:

Oh man, this show is so great and enjoyable. I spaced it out as a downtime filler for all the other anime on my commute and I'm so glad I did. I kept wanting to be involved in this wonderfully human world that's been built up, with human characters. Which is rare in anime, to not have all the stuff that is just So Freaking Anime.

ReLIFE could stand on its own as a normal live action show, and that's praise IMO.

I already grabbed the manga, gonna jump right to chapter 100. Now I just need some nice modern low-key jazz for the maximum experience.

The thing I like about ReLIFE is how all the teenagers are awkward spazzes, just like actual teenagers.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ytlaya posted:

The thing I like about ReLIFE is how all the teenagers are awkward spazzes, just like actual teenagers.

Also the adults are awkward spazzes, just like actual adults.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Also the adults are awkward spazzes, just like actual adults.

With the exception of Hishiro, they're far less spazzy than the teenagers. Most of the plot arcs involve the main character helping out his awkward teenage friends with the help of Adult Common Sense.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kariu is my favorite character.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Just finished watching this. Such a nice, warm little show. I hope it someday gets that second season.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I also recently finished this up. While I'd say the high-school student identity of subject 001 was fairly obvious to me (at least once it was revealed there /was/ a 001) I don't think the knowledge really detracted from the overall enjoyment of watching the characters progress through their arcs. I did briefly however have the misconception that subject 001's adult life was Arata's senior from work, until that was very clearly marked off as impossible in the later episodes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Amstrad posted:

I also recently finished this up. While I'd say the high-school student identity of subject 001 was fairly obvious to me (at least once it was revealed there /was/ a 001) I don't think the knowledge really detracted from the overall enjoyment of watching the characters progress through their arcs. I did briefly however have the misconception that subject 001's adult life was Arata's senior from work, until that was very clearly marked off as impossible in the later episodes.

From what I can remember, it seems like they added hints in the anime, but it wasn't that clear in the manga (I remember getting the impression that it wasn't something that the author planned from the beginning). The anime seems to have done a better job of foreshadowing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The only real hints in the manga are just that that character is obviously so busted, no outright hints.