Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Third person mode games are the absolute worst. Granted I only play call of duty these days, but I gave assassins creed a chance because it was free with the Xbox one. After a couple of days I just gave up. Who likes playing a game when the character is standing in the middle of the screen blocking your view? It's like, get the gently caress out of the way, I can't loving see what I'm doing. Unless dark souls has a person mode I doubt I'll ever play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Fojar38 posted:

how many encourage you to roll into enemy attacks

monster hunter, one of the most popular action rpg franchises and a bestseller on p much every console it is released on

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

amen op

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i like using the white stone to write "try jumping" near a cliff, thats a fun gag

also you can write "giant but, hole ahead" and it reads like "giant butthole ahead" hahah what a game

also if you are bad at dark souls i guess you should maybe play angry birds on your android tablet and not own a professional level xbox gaming console (or the lesser substitute, the pc)

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

try taint reaping

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hmm let's make a hard game.

Okay, make it normal hardness compared to other games but just have no reasonable checkpoints. Watch them jerk off all over themselves.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Fojar38 posted:

how many encourage you to roll into enemy attacks

by rolling "into" their attacks you are actually jumping under or over their blade like a brave and daring warrior so that you can attack them while they are vulnerable. I hope this helps.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

FogHelmut posted:

Okay, make it normal hardness compared to other games but just have no reasonable checkpoints. Watch them jerk off all over themselves.

if its normal hardness why did u keep hitting checkpoints then idiot

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

The Kingfish posted:

by rolling "into" their attacks you are actually jumping under or over their blade like a brave and daring warrior so that you can attack them while they are vulnerable. I hope this helps.

Ya, most games I've played that allow you to roll forward always have enemies with big swooping attacks that can be ducked under.

What I hate are games that have a roll mechanic (no invincibility), but a normal sideways jump is far more effective, or something like that.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

if i can't dodge roll through enemy attacks i'm like "this is hosed up"

bayonetta has the best attack rolling through

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Play Bloodborne

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Everyone fights the skeletons first and stops playing the game because it's too hard and they never think to explore the other areas lol.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Dark Souls 3: Taint Wreckin'

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

japan has literally never produced a good video game

Mario Maker you scrub-rear end bitch

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

you're actually never more than three or four minutes from a bonfire.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I love failboys trying to justify why they aren't even good at their only hobby.

:qq: it's not even hard! :qq:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
As the resident dark souls fan, I have to give you my opinion on this horrid thread: suck my loving balls

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Also doesn't the starting armor weigh you down noticeably? The first level on youtube showed the guy getting a little faster after getting naked.

Try being nude so you aren't so clunky.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
You know what? I don't like Undertale

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

AKA Pseudonym posted:

You know what? I don't like Undertale

wow do u hate art or funny jokes llol wow quoting thisb4 u delete it

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Wicker Man posted:

Also doesn't the starting armor weigh you down noticeably? The first level on youtube showed the guy getting a little faster after getting naked.

Try being nude so you aren't so clunky.

If you pick an armored knight starting character then your guy will be slow and plodding, this makes sense. What doesn't make sense is later on when you pump up your stats and the armor guy is doing flips and rolls no problem.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Dark Souls isn't that hard. I suck at games and got through them all. Everything about it being some super tough game is a bunch of hype. Something swinging at you? Try dodging. Maybe raise you're shield if it's not too much work. When the enemies stop spazzing out maybe try hitting them. You'll die sometimes. You can come back and try again. Also don't go into a third person action game expecting to be able to do anything with a mouse and keyboard. I swear this series is like a test to see if you're someone's grandma.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

notZaar posted:

If you pick an armored knight starting character then your guy will be slow and plodding, this makes sense. What doesn't make sense is later on when you pump up your stats and the armor guy is doing flips and rolls no problem.

Magic rings and returning to life when you die don't make sense either, like what the gently caress people

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

"artificial difficulty"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Magic rings and returning to life when you die don't make sense either, like what the gently caress people

Generally the rule of fantasy and sci fi is that you have to follow real life with like one or two major differences. So while I accept the curses and magic, doing acrobatics in plate mail is stupid and also is just one of those video game things that breaks the balance in favor of player progression.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I loving hate this thread I am so mad right now. I wish Ruddha was here to kick all your butts

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Captain Yossarian posted:

I loving hate this thread I am so mad right now. I wish Ruddha was here to kick all your butts

Not me. I got the dark grain wood ring. Can't kick a butt if it's above his head.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

notZaar posted:

Generally the rule of fantasy and sci fi is that you have to follow real life with like one or two major differences. So while I accept the curses and magic, doing acrobatics in plate mail is stupid and also is just one of those video game things that breaks the balance in favor of player progression.

Why is it stupid when you've got the FANTASY WORLD NOT-REAL turbocharged strength and agility for it?

I mean, becoming superhuman is built right into the mechanics, unless you're doing an SL1 playthrough.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

https://youtu.be/OyCq9GLVZ2Q

Here is a redneck man who possesses neither the impossible vigor of the undead nor the dark wood grain ring doing cartwheels in armor. Kindly stop being a retard

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I could never get this game to run. It hard crashed to desktop every time I booted it.

I installed DSfix. I verified the data files through Steam. I hunted around on the web for solutions. I'm running Windows 7 and nothing weird that should be causing this.

The hardest part about Dark Souls is getting it to work, apparently.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

subhuman filth posted:

"artificial difficulty"

To be fair, having to come to a dead stop to leisurely drink from the healing flask is dumb and sucks.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Drunken Baker posted:

Not me. I got the dark grain wood ring. Can't kick a butt if it's above his head.

I didn't account for this :prepop:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Why is it stupid when you've got the FANTASY WORLD NOT-REAL turbocharged strength and agility for it?

I mean, becoming superhuman is built right into the mechanics, unless you're doing an SL1 playthrough.

I just think it would be cool if the game didn't pretend to be an rpg and your equipment completely determined your stats.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

That guy wants only the most realistic in medieval swordplay. If you're not basing your engine on Durer's Sword-fencing Manual and getting it peer-reviewed than what are you even doing ?!?!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

WampaLord posted:

I could never get this game to run. It hard crashed to desktop every time I booted it.

I installed DSfix. I verified the data files through Steam. I hunted around on the web for solutions. I'm running Windows 7 and nothing weird that should be causing this.

The hardest part about Dark Souls is getting it to work, apparently.

lol in the time you spent fuckin around you could've just gone and done some work and earned enough to buy a console w/ a copy of the game like a normal person

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

notZaar posted:

I just think it would be cool if the game didn't pretend to be an rpg and your equipment completely determined your stats.

Oh man, can you picture how constraining that would be in PvP?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

lol in the time you spent fuckin around you could've just gone and done some work and earned enough to buy a console w/ a copy of the game like a normal person

Congratulations on your $400/hour job, I guess?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

WampaLord posted:

Congratulations on your $400/hour job, I guess?

ty it is a good job

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm Crap posted:

you're actually never more than three or four minutes from a bonfire.

Lol at your Stockholm syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Knights weren't helpless turtles in armor, but were kind of super athletes. Doing tricks like handstands and cartwheels in full gear, jumping onto a horses back with a running jump while fully suited, etc, etc. :eng101:

• Locked thread