Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tarkus posted:

It's prolly Christina Hoff Sommers. She's often accused of being a nutty right winger but truth is that she's quite reasonable on most things and she's not an anti-feminist. The right like her because she says things they like but she just usually quietly disagrees when they go off the deep end ideology-wise like Milo does on occasion. I think she's misunderstood because she states that now men's issues should be examined and solved as well, by feminist standards that means she is now an evil misogynist and MRA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYpELqKZ02Q

That's her and she even mentions the factions at the conference in 1992 Go to 4:20 :420: to hear her talk about the conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lots of CANPOL buddies and friends posting here, without the DnD smell! :kiddo:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

When I said that I'm not a "PoC" because it's not only re-labeling "Coloured" but also lumping me in with every other ethnic group, I was told that I had internalized oppression and that I just needed to be educated on the proper terminology.
yeah i'm not a big fan of the term "person of color," it hedges way too close to the old racist term "colored person" for my liking. also, i bet that they said that it's not their job to educate you on terminology, as if education isn't a major part of activism. yet another reason why "leftist" activists today are pathetic

Frosted Flake posted:

When I said one of my Black Canadian heroes was Willie O'Ree, they said that hockey was a hyper-masculine, violent, classiest activity that excluded women and transgendered people and was stolen from Native culture. How are you supposed to talk to these people?
well if they're that willing to trash the great sport of hockey, you talk to them by saying "gently caress off, i'm done talking to you" and never speaking to them again

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

also, i bet that they said that it's not their job to educate you on terminology, as if education isn't a major part of activism. yet another reason why "leftist" activists today are pathetic

this is my #1 peeve. like if you're seriously trying to give people the ability to make informed decisions (as opposed to just telling them what to think) then yes, you're going to have to answer the same simple questions over and over and over again

yes, it's a drag. no, some people won't be convinced no matter how much proof you show them. but if you're not willing to make even the minimal effort involved in sending someone a link to a feminism 101 page or whatever, then you can gently caress off seriously

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Tarkus posted:

LGBT: A significant minority that really needed both rights and respect has begun to gain those things in spades but must now bear the burden of being ideologically pure while absorbing every mentally ill person who believes that they are a cat, undefinable or something completely made-up altogether. While I'm not against inclusiveness, these people muddy the message and direction of the movement. see LGBTQIAP+ alphabet soup.

I've literally never met a gay or lesbian person who has any idea what LGBTQIAP+ means or takes that poo poo seriously, not even my friend that was getting his PHD in critical race theory or something.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MaxxBot posted:

I've literally never met a gay or lesbian person who has any idea what LGBTQIAP+ means or takes that poo poo seriously, not even my friend that was getting his PHD in critical race theory or something.

They should throw an H on the end of that alphabet soup to include heterosexuals and then we'll all be friends again.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Frosted Flake posted:

I've noticed that most Queer Activists have never had a Black friend or met a Black person that wasn't an activist so they're totally out of their element in social situations. When I said that I'm not a "PoC" because it's not only re-labeling "Coloured" but also lumping me in with every other ethnic group, I was told that I had internalized oppression and that I just needed to be educated on the proper terminology.

When I said one of my Black Canadian heroes was Willie O'Ree, they said that hockey was a hyper-masculine, violent, classiest activity that excluded women and transgendered people and was stolen from Native culture. How are you supposed to talk to these people?
Hi are you me

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Clipperton posted:

this is my #1 peeve. like if you're seriously trying to give people the ability to make informed decisions (as opposed to just telling them what to think) then yes, you're going to have to answer the same simple questions over and over and over again

yes, it's a drag. no, some people won't be convinced no matter how much proof you show them. but if you're not willing to make even the minimal effort involved in sending someone a link to a feminism 101 page or whatever, then you can gently caress off seriously
their rationale is that it's a burden that they shouldn't have to provide upon the unlearned and that they should do it themselves. i can't think of a better way to put people further into their shell than smugly dismissing a potential ally like that

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Bonzo posted:

Remember the time they tweeted ""Plz Allah give me strength to not cuss/kill these men and white folks out here today. Plz plz plz,"" ?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/black-lives-matter-controversial-tweet-1.3523055

Oh and their leader is being sued by the University of Toronto Student Union for taking $277,000 in severance.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/04/07/black-lives-matter-member-sued-for-severance-deal

ya ITT people who think BLM isn't just an extortion racket

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

When one girl I know in the local activist community (the ones responsible for the Yoga ban) got engaged, she was ostracized because she had committed to a hetero-monoga-normative (?) relationship, and even her engagement ring was a symbol of the patriarchy. Apparently how you live is an important part of activism, and if you aren't doing the queer poly thing forever you're selling out.

They might say they're all for inclusiveness but they'll turn on each other at the drop of a hat, and every time they get together at least one person will "call-out" someone for something. It's funny to me because I don't care, but it's extremely stressful for people who care about that stuff. It almost seems like a power play to put someone in their place.

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE

Frosted Flake posted:

When one girl I know in the local activist community (the ones responsible for the Yoga ban) got engaged, she was ostracized because she had committed to a hetero-monoga-normative (?) relationship, and even her engagement ring was a symbol of the patriarchy. Apparently how you live is an important part of activism, and if you aren't doing the queer poly thing forever you're selling out.

They might say they're all for inclusiveness but they'll turn on each other at the drop of a hat, and every time they get together at least one person will "call-out" someone for something. It's funny to me because I don't care, but it's extremely stressful for people who care about that stuff. It almost seems like a power play to put someone in their place.

It reminds me of the eastern notion of karma: that all actions in the world accrue some quantity of karma with good actions netting you a small amount and bad actions netting you a lot and all karma being bad. The further into the world you delve, the more karma you accrue and, due to the nature of the world, the more obligations and responsibilities you are burdened with. These obligations demand you take action that results in more karma gained. It's a vicious cycle. The only way to 'win' is to not play.

This is the true beauty of the whole thing. Their methods and beliefs cloister them into a small social circle that devours its own. The further into it they delve, the more abrasive they become to society at large which forces them further into their little community. Said community has the same trappings of power grabs and in fighting as most of society does but unfortunately for them, the rules they have for survival and advancement are petty, arbitrary and generally insane. They end up trapped in a hell of their own making. The only solution is to bow out entirely but that requires that they abandon not just their social status and relationships but also their very beliefs and world views.

It's like an addiction. At first the easy friendships and righteous zeal feels good but the more social justice you inject yourself with, the more painful and chaotic life becomes and the harder it is to stop. Eventually, you have to decide what is more painful: to live in this alienated culture full of backstabbing and eggshells or shed everything you've spent your time and energy building within the community and your life.

It's the kind of thing that makes me thing that there is a God and that he's a vengeful fucker who likes to watch you make bad decisions then tell you that you did it to yourself as you cry over your shattered life. Not that I would know anything about that personally cough cough.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Bonzo posted:

Remember the time they tweeted ""Plz Allah give me strength to not cuss/kill these men and white folks out here today. Plz plz plz,"" ?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/black-lives-matter-controversial-tweet-1.3523055

Oh and their leader is being sued by the University of Toronto Student Union for taking $277,000 in severance.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/04/07/black-lives-matter-member-sued-for-severance-deal

i love it when people take on a cause because theyre bored and have no identity

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Illavick posted:

It's the kind of thing that makes me thing that there is a God and that he's a vengeful fucker who likes to watch you make bad decisions then tell you that you did it to yourself as you cry over your shattered life. Not that I would know anything about that personally cough cough.

Have you been reading about Elon Musk?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Illavick posted:

This is the true beauty of the whole thing. Their methods and beliefs cloister them into a small social circle that devours its own. The further into it they delve, the more abrasive they become to society at large which forces them further into their little community. Said community has the same trappings of power grabs and in fighting as most of society does but unfortunately for them, the rules they have for survival and advancement are petty, arbitrary and generally insane. They end up trapped in a hell of their own making. The only solution is to bow out entirely but that requires that they abandon not just their social status and relationships but also their very beliefs and world views.

I think you captured it entirely. The only thing you omitted is that they all also date within that circle. How they handle relationships is another nightmare entirely.

e: Since they feel all the things people feel like jealousy, lust, attraction etc. but try to logic it all away with various theories and stuff it ends up deeply weird.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bonzo posted:

filing 2000 hours of overtime after you lost the election. seems legit

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Illavick posted:

Said community has the same trappings of power grabs and in fighting as most of society does but unfortunately for them, the rules they have for survival and advancement are petty, arbitrary and generally insane.

TBF that applies to society at large as well.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Illavick posted:

So like a cult in other words. Sounds about right.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Frosted Flake posted:

I've noticed that most Queer Activists have never had a Black friend or met a Black person that wasn't an activist so they're totally out of their element in social situations. When I said that I'm not a "PoC" because it's not only re-labeling "Coloured" but also lumping me in with every other ethnic group, I was told that I had internalized oppression and that I just needed to be educated on the proper terminology.

you don't. you let them slowly eat each other and burn all their bridges. eventualy they will grow up and see how hosed their ideas became.

Frosted Flake posted:

jesus, its sounds like cultural revolution era maoism, but dumber.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Frosted Flake posted:

When one girl I know in the local activist community (the ones responsible for the Yoga ban) got. . .

I asked a friend at UofO to check it out and he said it was 40 white people, with 2 Indian people to give them cred.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus, its sounds like cultural revolution era maoism, but dumber.

it's like they skipped the revolution and went straight to the self-criticism and purges

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I'm sure this recent renewed focus on BLM will definitely lead to more unity in both Canada and the US.

EDIT: Or someone could shoot a bunch of cops at the Dallas BLM protest.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 8, 2016

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Al Cowens posted:

The vast majority of the population lives right along the USA-Canada border.

I was just thinking how, if the crown had packed up in the war of 1812 and the USA controlled all that territory, it would be nearly deserted, ala the Dakotas.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Clipperton posted:

I think a part of it (and I still disagree with the snooty "it's not my job to educate you" response that's gonna be a huge turnoff to anyone) is that you really will never convince someone in an argument or discussion that they're looking at things the wrong way or are being ignorant/irrational in the face of evidence against their worldview. When they think one thing that's wrong/harmful and you're trying to correct that it's going to come across as confrontational no matter how polite you are in your phrasing/approach, they're gonna feel attacked and defensively stick to their views just out of reflex. The only time someone is actually open and willing to read/hear something and go "oh maybe I was always looking at this the wrong way" is if they set out on their own with the intent to learn about the subject, or in otherwords, are educating themselves.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

I think a part of it (and I still disagree with the snooty "it's not my job to educate you" response that's gonna be a huge turnoff to anyone) is that you really will never convince someone in an argument or discussion that they're looking at things the wrong way or are being ignorant/irrational in the face of evidence against their worldview. When they think one thing that's wrong/harmful and you're trying to correct that it's going to come across as confrontational no matter how polite you are in your phrasing/approach, they're gonna feel attacked and defensively stick to their views just out of reflex. The only time someone is actually open and willing to read/hear something and go "oh maybe I was always looking at this the wrong way" is if they set out on their own with the intent to learn about the subject, or in otherwords, are educating themselves.

Not to effort post too much, but you can always go Columbo ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbo ) on them.

Instead of talking at them (which they can ignore), when they express their view you simply (and politely/showing interest) ask them why they believe that.

And just continue along the line of: "Why do you think that?" "How come?" etc.

Asking them questions about their beliefs forces them to actually engage the rusty gears of their brain and think through, logically, what they're actually saying/claiming.

If you can pull it off they might actually have a change of heart/mind if you can lead them down the path of realizing the mistakes in their statements.

It also works really well because people love to talk about themselves to anyone who shows interest and listens.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

spacetoaster posted:

Not to effort post too much, but you can always go Columbo ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbo ) on them.

Instead of talking at them (which they can ignore), when they express their view you simply (and politely/showing interest) ask them why they believe that.

And just continue along the line of: "Why do you think that?" "How come?" etc.

Asking them questions about their beliefs forces them to actually engage the rusty gears of their brain and think through, logically, what they're actually saying/claiming.

If you can pull it off they might actually have a change of heart/mind if you can lead them down the path of realizing the mistakes in their statements.

It also works really well because people love to talk about themselves to anyone who shows interest and listens.

This can work okay irl but internet forums which are the only places I feel like I've actually heard someone bust out the "it's not my job to educate you" or variants thereof, no one is gonna put up with socrates impersonation.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
another thing you can do is find some common ground with them, agree with them on that to get them on side, then work on changing their mind on something you mostly agree on, and take it from there. as spacetoaster said once you get people to start properly thinking about their opinions it can get the ball rolling pretty fast. although this takes empathy and patience of course so it's off the table for most of the twitter warriors

the whole thing is loving stupid. it's "not their job to educate"? well then what is their job, exactly, as "activists"? either you have enough people on-side to push through changes to the system, or you don't. if you don't, you need to change some people's minds. that's education. aargh

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

thats because p much every inclusive and accepting group is only inclusive and accepting if you fall within their idea of whats not hella dumb because people are retarded fuckups with no concept of irony

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bonzo posted:

Just lol if you've never thought/said this

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I don't think most people tweet deities to help them not commit hate crimes.

Or maybe they do and I'm the weirdo.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
things that are all the same and bad:
an organization with a decentralized structure that encourages local chapters to completely do their own thing with little oversight from the main leadership
a movement that is comprised of a large number of different groups, all with different goals and only rlly sharing the belief that women should be treated like people
thanks friends, learning a lot ITT

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

this is seriously the dumbest faux bourgie left poo poo ever and i swear to god if i meet one of these people in real life there's gonna be problems

i suspect these people are just mentally ill tumblrinas with no real broader impact but that might be wishful optimism

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/08/us/philando-castile-alton-sterling-protests/index.html

well BLM is hurt now. even if he/she wasnt a member. this will probaly damage their rep even more then mizzou.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
goddamn COINTELPRO hosed the left up but good

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Frosted Flake posted:

That's exactly what it is and it's why I exited the whole thing post-haste several years ago

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/08/us/philando-castile-alton-sterling-protests/index.html

well BLM is hurt now. even if he/she wasnt a member. this will probaly damage their rep even more then mizzou.
This is a good way just to get more people shot because now police have a high profile example of how they "risk their lives everday" (despite the stats) that they'll point to for the next year while the shoot more "potentially" armed people.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

ArbitraryC posted:

This is a good way just to get more people shot because now police have a high profile example of how they "risk their lives everday" (despite the stats) that they'll point to for the next year while the shoot more "potentially" armed people.
BLM hates black people and yearns for black death. This is playing right into their hands (starting a race war)

e: And going by the events in Dallas, Minnesota, Louisiana right now it looks like they are succeeding.

Al Cowens fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 8, 2016

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

ArbitraryC posted:

works for me

I used to think cops in america were over-armed but if they're coming up against organized cop hunters with assault rifles and body armor, gently caress it give em tanks and let em loose

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
maybe there wouldn't be cop hunters with body armor and assault rifles if the police didn't have armored crowd suppression vehicles with sonic cannons to make your eardrums burst in the first place tho

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Moridin920 posted:

goddamn COINTELPRO hosed the left up but good

good im glad of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

maybe there wouldn't be cop hunters with body armor and assault rifles if the police didn't have armored crowd suppression vehicles with sonic cannons to make your eardrums burst in the first place tho

Yeah I mean obviously in an ideal world politicians would get together and say "wow we've pissed people off so much they're resorting to violence as a form of protest and that's bad for everyone, maybe we should change some policies that people have legitimate complaints about" but the reality is they're just going to spin it as 'violence is bad therefor the criticism that the violence stemmed from is bad too and now we need our cops to be even more violent to protect themselves, we will not give in to terrorists"

• Locked thread