Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Josef bugman posted:

I think he'd be stressed about different thing, Child Burner.

Seriously though, I am kind of imagining how many GoT references people are going to try to fit in to the game.

And they'll all fly by me because I actually have not watched GoT yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Do we have any prompts to go through? I want to flex some writing muscles.

Otherwise I'm hashing out character opinions because I like that poo poo.

Spoiler alert, it involves a severe dislike of dragons, aristocrats, magic users and rabble rousers. Which is most of the cast, go figure

EDIT:

As for a title how about

"They're called revolutions, because they always come round again."

I dunno what the character limit is. But I like my Pratchett

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 8, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

TheNabster posted:

Do we have any prompts to go through? I want to flex some writing muscles.

Spoiler alert, it involves a severe dislike of dragons, aristocrats, magic users and rabble rousers. Which is most of the cast, go figure

Yes, I did put up a new story post. Also, give character opinions anyway. Always nice to read.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Yami Fenrir posted:

And they'll all fly by me because I actually have not watched GoT yet.

Boromir dies.

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
I'm personally plumping for: A Game of Goons, or, A Song of Vice and Liars (even despite GoT references going over Yami's head). If this was a Brian Jacques inspired game, we could go with a Song of Mice and Friars, but alas.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

TheNabster posted:

Oh hey, I'm three of those! :D

Yami Fenrir posted:

Yes, I did put up a new story post. Also, give character opinions anyway. Always nice to read.

Lord Edvard Marcel Borde posted:

What makes a ruler? There are those, including out current King, that would argue that it is their ability to achieve success in warfare and conquerer their enemies. His father would vehemently disagree. It is the building of infrastructure and the managing of the economy, he would say, that makes a king great. Most other nobles would find themselves sorted into those two camps out of a blind devotion to either power or greed. I myself instead put forth a different, more unpopular opinion.

A leader is measured by the love they have for their people, and nothing else.

It matters not if their walls crumble, their coinage finds itself devalued, and their people oppressed. As long as every breath is spent in total service to their charges, they will live on through the ages as the greatest of men. It is easy to see, then, how the masses so easily cast the Leopold line into the villainous role they so deserve. They've shown no love to Archean Reach, no sympathy to Hissan. Niloufar remains under siege and they lock our generation's brightest away in Achlor. Even Arks landing, the beating heart of their empire, find its foundation groaning under the weight of unrest and disapproval. And I sit in my estate and watch their kingdom strain and buckle, I can only ask one question of its people.

How much more are you willing to tolerate?

Savidudeosoo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 8, 2016

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
People of the Kingdom

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe

Oh for the days when knights were just crunchily wrapped treats that come with a side of horse. Now it's all intrigue and fanciful nicknames. I'm happy to leave her to both, pay my taxes and otherwise keep to the terms of my agreement with the first Leopold. As long as the trade in spices, sugar, and flour keeps coming.

Pope Sahalnir XI

Sahalnir. The way the very name rolls off the tongue gives one an oily and glutinous feeling doesn't it? Not that I have any qualms against oily and glutinous foods. Oh we've had our arguments in the past when he was young, going on about how the Holy Writ of Vallensin holds that eating thinking, living beings is wrong but it should be blatantly clear to anyone of intelligence that the many sins in the holy book are contradictory at best. Imagine, gluttony being a sin. Nothings that lives and breathes in this world doesn't eat and love to eat well! It's just preposterous.

The Windspeaker

Magic makes the tongue tingle and tends to give me wind, but if that poncy little ball of bearded religion dislikes her so much then I don't mind giving her a helping claw. Feldrick! Take a note to inquire about foreign cuisine and spices if I ever encounter her.

Petra Asfaran, the Wolf's Pup

Whelps of any species are stupid, clumsy, and likely to bite back at you before they learn any better. I assume the Silent Knight's whelp is no different but if she thinks to beard me in my lair she had better bring something good to eat or face the consequences.

There are a loooot of character apps on the board here but I'm slowly working through how I feel about them via very rational and not at all RNG means.

Robodog posted:

Boromir dies.

Being only halfway through the fourth book and never having seen the show I guess the only thing I can say is :sad: Or HODOR I guess.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OscarDiggs posted:

Glaumdrang Wealth-Checker

The Dragon Banker is a constant source of useful gossip going back over a century, his hired hands are talkative, intelligent and scrupulous in their dealings, if somewhat lightly given to twitching in the presences of fire. He has his own spies, but they are somewhat less adept than the ones I have, they are given to over emphasising things as he constantly wants status reports. An interesting old monster, and one who can be relied upon to play the game well and with minimal collateral damage, if only because it'd be his company that may well end up paying out insurance.

Rauri posted:

Samarah Ka Qismah, the Chosen Prophet

I have heard reports coming in of the Red God. I had dismissed it as idol speculation, yes I know I'm allowed to make puns in my own reports, but this particular one? Well it comes through the teachings of the locals and the current papal by-blow in the area. She is going to be trouble, more than anything she strikes me as one who could inspire a destructive power that would ravage the land. But I am unsure if she is even in her right mind to begin with. Prophecy is too often a snake that will turn and bite you if you are incautious.

Valhawk posted:

Artur “The Sculptor” Regios

Urgh. Magic is bad enough but this? There is a reason that so many amongst my own people fled those lands and fly here. Talk of rolling balls of cancer sores, weeping pustules and broken bodies. The man himself is apparently adept at stopping assassinations, so I do not intend to involve myself there, but I would not trust him as far as I can throw a knife.

This I like. Large, Brash and straightforward. Ogres make terrible spies, but they are still fantastic in their own way. There are some I technically employ as muscle, but in truth the ability to be terrifying means they rarely get into a fight unless it is with each other. Mz Snowdrake is not some idiotic thug though, her fighting skills and tactical nouse has meant ruin for many mercenary captains. I will perhaps extend a welcoming talon in greeting.

Platonicsolid posted:

Lavelle Ingernassa
High Sorceress of Archea

More magic, fantastic. I can't say that she isn't a sight to behold from my reports, but the sheer fury that she seems capable of unleashing, and the cult she has gathered around her? They are worrying. I know cults, they can't be bought, they can't be reasoned with, all they want is their objective. Nothing else. I will have to keep close eyes on her and her imperial "ambitions"

Savidudeosoo posted:

Count Edvard Marcel Borde, Lord of Niloufar

No price is too high for my people's salvation.

I have seen the lord in operation, the way he moves through the crowd, the swooning women and the fighting style all talk to someone who should have abandoned a land that is dying and moved to the capital full time. Unfortunately I have heard other rumours. Things coming out of the ground to fight the orcs. Things with scales and eyes and teeth. I see him fighting, and I see the focus he has, and I wonder if the two are as unconnected as we would like to believe.

TheNabster posted:

Lord Commander Viktor Von Voss

He does no know it, but we help each other. I spent weeks last summer helping with my own investigations into the murder of Regas Ilwinter, and his men would never have realised without a few of my lads behind the counter of a pub dropping hints so loud they would clang. I respect the Lord Commander, he has an impossible job and does it well, and he wants to maintain order in a city constantly on edge. I always find order helps the facts along, so I can always provide help there.

Cambrinus posted:

The Prince of Pigeons

I have heard tell of something attempting to infiltrate my spies and informants, something brooding and watchful. Something that is the antithesis of all I want. We are already running a shadow war, none knowing too much about the other, but always feeling their presence. This is top priority for all agents, this creature must be stopped.

Quornes posted:

Kurt Hissin
Flame of the Resistance, Last of his Line, The Hidden King

Another monarch fleeing and fighting for his homeland. It is evident that the world is full of them. This one though? He seems to possess something very different to the others, an ability to hide and to fight that will serve him well. I do not agree with the current kings "expansion" plans, and if we can somehow talk him into not harming innocents during the internicine feuding of great houses so much the better.

megane posted:

Sudden Clarity
First Sword of the Order Resplendent

A warrior monk, as in the old tales. A woman of power and thunder, flashing blades at dawn, all that stuff. I think it is best that we run in very different circles, she is less likely to get too involved in politics and I am less likely to have my beak cracked by a stave.

GodFish posted:

Leona Sevvran, Bastard Daughter of Leopold III

Absolutely fascinating, in both senses of the word, is our Leona. My spies keep me appraised of her current parmours, who is up and down in her affections is the subject of a weekly sweepstake among some of them, and whom she wishes to keep from the authorities. But I find her a breath of fresh heir, a certainly welcome change from her elder and more legitimate brother. Who knows what documents could be "found" to prove her legitimacy.

Apocron posted:

Marvelous Magnus's Magic Sword

I saw him fight fairly regularly, from the Gods stands of course, once I saw him lift a man in the air and appear to break his back over his iron clad knee. I also know that his appetities (whatever they are, and they seem to change by the day) are always to the oppulent. A man with very little to gain and much to lose though, perhaps a glory hound, but a useful one.

Ronwayne posted:

Amerigo Hieronymus: Tariff Collector and Adventurer
Some will rob you with a six-gun, And some with a fountain pen.

Oh by the Gods this one. I have continually had to put up with my agents being seized and searched under the most assinine of reasons, and sometimes those reasons are correct. I have had to invent at least 3 more sorts of code and had to engage the services of more smugglers than I can count just to try and get around the restirctions placed on some of the finer ares I bring in. I am simply grateful that the man himself seems competent enough that all of us that need exotics are in the same boat.

Puppies are dicks posted:

Prince Orignoxfes, Elder Dragon

A rolling ball of fat and creulty. I have never even heard of a creature so legendarily obese until I got some reports back. The seeming archetype of why dragons have gone into decline has a suprising level of nouse when it comes to things that don't revolve around his guts. He is watched by several of my spies, but the only report I seem to hear back are dinner menus. An interesting piece though, considering how much is produced at those mines of his.

Robodog posted:

Anathema
Basilissa Anathema of Blomstregård, King and Queen of the East and the West, Storhertuginde of the North, Archon of the Great Southern Sea, Imperator of the Pioneer Legion and Exulted Potentate of the Paramountcy

We do not speak of her rule. We do not speak to her. We do all in our power to prevent anything like her. The fall of Ormsgard is hers, and we have very very long memories for this. Should she ever make herself known to any of us, her death would be a thing of swiftness. Her body would be burned and her ashes scattered.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin

A horse lord. One area I do not have much experience, but assuredly a dangerous man to cross. He has been given a Kings writ to "keep the peace" and I know exactly what that means, more razed houses, more plundering, but now with an official sanction because our lord cannot keep control of every border. Sometimes I despair of the young king, I really do.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 9, 2016

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Oh, opinions OF characters, not the opinions characters have....

I'll get that up I'm a bit, heh.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Just got back from the mountains going to app a thing if there is still time

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Savidudeosoo posted:

Oh, opinions OF characters, not the opinions characters have....

I'll get that up I'm a bit, heh.

Oh poo poo, I didn't consider that! Well I spent too much time on that word vommit so I will keep it for now, but I will also write about the GM people as well!

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Josef bugman posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't consider that! Well I spent too much time on that word vommit so I will keep it for now, but I will also write about the GM people as well!

Could you finish your opinion on Edvard first? ;)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Savidudeosoo posted:

Could you finish your opinion on Edvard first? ;)

Ask and you shall recieve!

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Certain blackbird angling to get baked into a pie here.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Robodog posted:

Certain blackbird angling to get baked into a pie here.

Ormsgard lives.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Good app! A bit on the low side of ambition, but that's not necessarily a bad thing - makes him stick out.

Not quite sure what's wrong with the qualities - but they seem like they're overlapping to me, just a little bit. Or at the very least could be folded together. Consider revisiting them.

The Prince of Pigeons

The new flaw sounds good!

Kurt Hissin

Not so sure about the new flaw! While it is thematically perfect, I feel it's simultaneously too hard to invoke at some times and too easy at others. I'm sure there's a more eloquent of saying this, but I can't find it, sue me. It's up to you if you want to use it - keep in mind we will be using BP, so you can invoke your flaw for those!

Not so sure about this one. While, yes, you're a mighty dragon, I feel there could be a little more to him than this, mechanically speaking. and I'm also not quite sold on the gnome servant one. One man can only do so much, and that counts double when it's only half a man!

Also I'm just going to say it: I'm only going to take one dragon, at most. So feel free to e-fistfight over who gets in. I will ignore the recruits and pick myself. :v:

Anathema

Interesting app! Has a +6, which like I sort of said with Orignoxfes, feels like overspecialization, but it's very well integrated in the background story of the character. Flaw works well, too - Since you can invoke it yourself when you want BP to have the people suddenly remember that old elven tyrant, or myself to screw you over. :v:

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin

Got to admit, I'm not only narratively not sold, but also pretty confused. Where are these steppes? Who are these people? What does your character even want, and why would any of the other power players even care? I barely know anything about your character after reading the app - I don't think your format of having a short story works well here.

Not to mention that it's highly unlikely the king would give a bunch of failing steppe nomads such power.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

From the War Journal of Lord Commander Von Voss posted:

The Players

I cannot abide bankers at the best of times, and I've fought in too many wars against dragons to be comfortable around them, the combination of both makes me extremely uneasy. Were I in my prime I would relish the chance to fight him, but these are modern times I am told and I suppose I must learn to live with them. That and he holds the finances for my entire army, bastard.

Kiris-Or, Information Broker

Never count out the military applications of spies. The Tengu are a little on the brittle side for front line soldiers, it's the hollow bones you see, but they make up for those weaknesses in ways and means beyond the conventional soldier. And he's possibly one of the few members of the political circle who will speak civilly to me.

Do not speak to me of Gods. I've seen far too many battlefields to be strong in faith anymore.

Do not speak to me of Wizards either. I will not abide any use of magic in my army, such a capricious and dangerous force has no place on the battlefield. I have a low tolerance of wizards.

Sasha Snowdrake

Were it not for the ex-ordinate prices I would wish for an entire battalion of Ogres. And when they have a little more martial discipline then 'none at all' you cannot pound for pound hire better shock troopers in this nation. You will always be better served fighting alongside the ogres, than in front of them in any case.

Lavelle Ingernassa

The last monarch of Hissin I give some credence for being a martial man, but I will not tolerate magic-using rebels on my watch. I will see you dead if you raise one finger to these lands sorceress.

The Count does well to pull his floundering state out of the tragedy inflicted upon it and into better things, even if his political opinions are quite dangerous in the circumstances. And yet, every garrison I attempt to set up there to aid the defense suffers from inexplicable morale problems; night terrors, jumping at shadows, reported whispering in the dark. I can't seem to get any soldiers to stay there for more than a week or two, it is most perplexing.

The Prince of Pigeons

Yes I've heard the rumors, a prophet or some sort of charismatic leader within the deepest dregs of society bridging connections across Arks Landing, even all the way to the palace. It is nothing to concern ourselves with, but I have asked for a close eye to be kept on the Slums. It never hurts to be cautious in this line of work.

Kurt Hissin

Oh I do wish some people would have the good grace to not keep fighting a hopeless guerrilla war when they have been utterly and totally beaten. I have made frequent requests to lead a force to root out this man before a more considerable canker develops within our borders so close to the capitol, but I have been declined every time. The most he should expect from this point is an amnesty and a quiet retirement somewhere far, far away from here.

Sudden Clarity

I have across hundreds of battlefields and many campaigns personally seen the Monks of the Order take to the field once. Once was enough. Underestimate the fighting monks at your own peril.

Really my lady it is very unbecoming of you to be acting in this manner when you could be improving on your martial prowess. Her tenuous political position is a real cause of concern, but she is of Leopold III's lineage and so I am under orders to protect her. I can't do that all the time however, let us hope she can swim in these treacherous courtly waters.

No.

Hmph! A cheat, a liar and a wastrel is the least accusation I can lay on this man. Were it not against the laws to strike down those appointed into official positions someone would have killed him a long time ago. As such he is merely a popular man in an unpopular profession, it doesn't mean I have to like him though.

May you choke on your cake you salvering cur! What the king who thought of handing land to this creature was thinking is beyond me. At least the bloody banker dragon pretends he isn't a monster.

Anathema

I've heard rumours, troubling rumours, that a long dead tyrant might actually live, a long dead elf tyrant on top of everything else, bloody elves. At this moment they are merely rumours, but if they are true and the queen is reunited with her people, Sevvran will be in grave danger.

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin

A horse marauder, what is his majesty thinking giving this man authority? I tolerate him more then the Tax Collector one leader of men to another, but only just, I've lost many a good men to skirmishes against the steppe nomads and blood is difficult to wash out.

The Pieces

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe

I respect this woman as as equal. I've fought alongside her countless times, she's saved my life as many times as I have saved hers, and between The Wolf and The Bear no foe could hope to stand between the two of us! But the Regency is taking a toll on her I can tell, all those contentious parts of the court are arraying against her to unseat her official appointed position, and factions from without are targeting her to weaken this nation in his majesty's absence. I am not a savvy political maneuver myself, my training did not lend me to that life, but the first man who raises a sword against her, I will personally cut that man down.

Pope Sahalnir XI

I've never been comfortable around holy men, no veteran soldier ever is but I cannot help but dislike this man for what accusations he had layed against Lady de Wulfe. He would do well to keep in mind that whilst the most high may rule above, down here in Arks Landing the rule is me, and the first time he tries in Arks Landing what he is doing in the Red Vale, I will come for him. He knows this I suspect, and it is for the best that he keeps this well in mind.

The Windspeaker

Of no concern to my mind, she seems pretty harmless as far as enemies of the state are concerned. His Holiness Sahalnir XI seems to be bending over backwards to see this woman dead however, what does he know that we don't?

What happened? I used to see the young miss around all the time, training under the Lady de Wulfe as her successor I had assumed, and they appeared to be very close to one another. I even helped occasionally, what child can say they were trained in arms by two famous heroes after all? But then she left without warning, and now she is one of the opponents arranged against the Regent. I hope against all hope that this coldness will not result in conflict, the girl has a bright future ahead of her, she should not squander it by getting involved with rebel factions.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 10, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Just wanted to say, I really like the fact that you people are including my NPC's in your "opinion on" pieces. I am going to try to make them seem much like other players with their agendas, priorities, and so on. Thus I am glad you people are getting invested in them. :)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe

The lady regent, long may she continue to do so, is a dab hand with a blade, an excellent commander... and one of the worst administrators this nation has seen in a while. Everything must be done "Now" all things are only understood through military meanings, you try and tell her about farm yields and she tries her best but by all the Gods she can't understand it. Taxes are raised and lowered by the day, nobles are indulged because the king told her they were trustworthy when they are only like that because of force. She doesn't understand how dangerous she is to the people of the Realm. I pray she realises.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Pope Sahalnir XI

Sahalnir is not fit to hold a candle in a backwater mortuary, never mind the highest office of Faith. I may not practise, but his words have lead to many of my men killed, and many more injured. I have no lover for his squawking proclemations as to the fitness of the realm, and his support for the present Kings "grand conquest" means that more of his flock go hungry. More of them rely on him because of this though, and I suspect something more malovelent than simply a rabble rouser.

Yami Fenrir posted:

The Windspeaker

Ah yes, the young woman from across the sea. The popes ridiculous calling for her head is merely another nail in his overstuffed coffin. She is charming, erudite and very much given to helping out the poor and lost. I keep an eye, obviously, but I hope she will do more good than bad, plus putting his pontifical hugeness out of a joint is always fun.

Yami Fenrir posted:

I saw her fight someone once. A clever fighter, with less raw strength than her mentor, but far more capability to grow. I thought her loyalty to her mentor unbreakable. Evidently I was sorely mistaken. I still cannot find what exactly happened between the two, though I know the lady regent will not speak of it. She has a gift for firey oratory, I can only hope she realises that "freedom" and "justice" can often have more consequences than first thought.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Sasha Snowdrake

"OI, EVERYONE!", Sasha bellowed from the deck of her glasscutter (" 'Er name's Snaggletooth, and shes's capable of wayy more than looks would imply. Just like yers truly, HAH!")

"WE 'AVE OUR BOAT AND OUR BOOZE!"

Cheers can be heard from the crew.

"AND OUR WEAPONS AND OUR BOOZE!"

More cheers.

"ALL WE NEED NOW IS SOME SORTA INKLIN' ON WHERE TA ACTUALLY GO!"

The cheers continue. In fact, the ogres had probably stopped listening at the first mention of alcohol, excited at the prospect of getting wasted in other, more exotic places.

"SO GET ON BOARD YA DIMWITS, SO WE CAN FIGURE SOMETHIN' OUT!"

~~The captain's cabin~~

Captain Sasha was hard at work leering at a piece of paper with a bunch of names written on it, a pen on one hand and a keg on the other. Right. This was going to take a while. She took a swig.

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe

"Ya know, I don't think there's anythin' quite so sad as a perfectly fine warrior brought down like this. A fierce fighter turned into some sorta snivelin', court-trapped paper pusher. If I hada king myself, I would kindly thank 'im for such an assin'ment with a fist to the face I would."

Sasha took a swig from her keg, clearly in thought.

"But I suppose she still has tha keys to the royal treasury. And who knows, maybe she has some fight left in 'er as well? Would certainly want ta see what the strongest of tha kingdom is made of for myself."

With her free hand, she writes 'Work/Wrassle' after the name.

Pope Sahalnir XI

"Oi now THIS pompous windbag is a piece o' work now ain't he? Like I usually don't care for godbotherers one way or the other myself except for all tha loot they like ta stash in their lil' temples and whatnot. But when the biggest ol' lardball in their dumb fraternity makes it 'is life goal ta yell about how yer own people cannot be trusted like he WANTS to be robbed instead of worked for, for whatever half-baked reason, well THEN I have a problem."

"Gotta teach this one some manners. And also that ogres can be trusted, especially ta punch in yer face if ya talk more smack than your doughy arms can answer for..."

Beat up

The Windspeaker

"I hear there's some strange lady throwing up winds and speakin' all cryptic-like. Got no patience for that kinda irritatin' people. Should probs straighten' 'er up a little if we ever meet, but not going to hunt down some girl who fights by conjurin' farts, even if she is a bit irritatin'."

ehh

"See this 'ere is yet another thing the continentals INSIST on bein' super weird about. All this sneakin' and bickerin' and familial drama and whatnot. They should be more like ogres and sort out their differences with drunken fistfights, and then laugh afterwards. They would be wayyy happier that way I reckon, with no need to cry and moan and pout and do all this annoyin' petulant crap."

ehh/wrassle (maybe?)

OscarDiggs posted:

What do you mean interest rates are falling!

"HAH! Now we're talkin'! A dragon who's got both the mass and hoard ta go with tha title! Money's good for work, and even tho he's grown fat an' lazy with his lifestyle, he should still pack a punch. Always wanted to wrassle a dragon. Hell, maybe I'll give him a discount if he wins, HAH!"

WORK/WRASSLE

Josef bugman posted:

Kiris-Or
Information Broker

"Never was much of a fan of the birdfolk. Frail and skittery most of the time, not to mention shady as all hell. Been hearin' rumours that they've got some new leader figure tho, someone who's genuinely... nice, and carin' towards his people. Yeh, those kindsa people can usually be trusted to a degree, but I'm not real inclined to put much stock in someone who fights by duckin' in the shade. Will have ta wait for 'im to show his face before makin' more of an opinion tho. Who knows, maybe if he can pay to have his people some muscle, we might even get along..."

Work(???)

Rauri posted:

“Our destinies are but grains of sand in a storm, and only God knows where we will come to rest.”

"I hear there's some new prophet or whatnot wanderin' the desert, with just a teeensy bit o' crazy in 'er eyes. As I said, not really in the business of caring about godbotherers, but this one apparently is not very well liked by that dickish greaseball, so she can't be that bad. Who knows, maybe she's the fun kinda crazy! *snort*"

ehh/work/wrassle/who knows

Valhawk posted:

"Ye, if there's a man alive that always wins on tha 'Why's magic so crap and terrible' bingo it would have ta be this guy right 'ere. Man's got the weirdo cancer powers and tha mind blasts to make others his slaves. Well, I doubt he can screw with yer mind if his own has been splattered all across the wall, eh? There's only so much a creepy dweeb like this can do to stop an iron club after all. And I'll be damned before I let 'im touch the northerners who offer some of tha best fights on the entire known world. Ya, no way will he get ta just go and RUIN that."

Kill.

Platonicsolid posted:

Lavelle Ingernassa
High Sorceress of Archea

"Another one? Sheesh. Ya know, if there's something more pathetic than somebody so weak that they have to result to soul corruptin' voodoo to compensate for their weakness, it would have ta be people who grovel at their feet for a taste of their fake 'power'. Ugh."

"On tha other hand, she's a rebel and not all that bad other than for 'er cowardly magery. And civil wars ARE real good for business. But if she wants ogre protection for a county full o' these magelings, she's got to pay a whole lot of extra."

Work maybe/ Probably Beat Up tho

Savidudeosoo posted:

No price is too high for my people's salvation.

"Now this is promisin' tho! No mages, no trickery, just the possibility of gettin' paid for throwing a lil' tussle with the orcs. ALWAYS a good time, can't really go wrong with that classic. Have good times, get good pay, what's not to like? The guy's not bad lookin' either! *snort*"

work

TheNabster posted:

"Haha, oh man this guy's a legend he is! I hear he accompanied ol' Leopold (rest in piece ya crazy man!) to the islands during the truce talks, and managed to wrangle ol' Chief Ironhide in a duel no less. Now granted the Chief had wagered ta fight with his right hand behind 'is back and with a stone dish balanced on his head, but his fault for bein' overconfident, HAH! Guy would probably have been salty 'bout losin' too if ol' Viktor wasn't such a hardass himself. Can't complain about losin' ta someone like that!"

"Would love to wrassle with the old man myself to see if he still has it (humans are so short lived, ain't they?). Maybe work for 'im too if he can scrounge up the gold, even if I wouldn't really do borin' police work for anyone else."

Work/Wrassle

Cambrinus posted:

The Prince of Pigeons

"I hear there's some shady guy sendin' pigeons everywhere on some even shadier agenda? Well, if he sends me one at least I won't have ta think about what to have for dinner, HAH!"

ehh

Quornes posted:

Kurt Hissin

"Another rebel, another chance for some profiteerin'! I hear these Hissin folks are 'psions' tho, which some people tell me is kinda like magic but not really. A meaningless distinction, it's still honorless mindblasting by some coward that cannot stomach to hold an actual weapon. In tha same bag as that witch lady, but at lest he's got a bit better sense o' fashion."

Work maybe/ Probably Beat Up tho

megane posted:

Sudden Clarity

"Uhhuh, the fightin' monks of Sevvran, ye I've heard of 'em. Supposedly real good at what they do, what with their jumpin' around and comin' up with hilariously overcomplicated names for every single drat flick o' their wrist. Don't know much about that, I prefer my fights simple: my club to your face."

"But who knows, maybe they're not all talk. Besides, never been in a good ol' melee I didn't like, so why not try them out? HAH!"

wrassle

GodFish posted:

"A lil' bastard girl playin' games at court. Been hearin' that she's 'tougher than she looks' and not someone ta underestimate, but I'll believe the stories o' the toughness o' someone who spends their time playin' dress-up when I see it for myself. Granted, probably a better leader than 'er brother, but that ain't such a high standard to reach."

ehh/wrassle

Apocron posted:

"Some rumors about claimin' that the current beloved arena champion is some magic sword. Dunno what to make of all that, comin' from a nation who hates magic almost more than we ogres do. Kinda would like to see it tho, wonder what it's like to wrassle an animated contraption."

is this even real? If so, wrassle

Ronwayne posted:

Some will rob you with a six-gun, And some with a fountain pen.

"HAHAHA, a taxman? Ey, a taxman's nothin' but a thug and looter hidin' behind the crown! Well guess what, the crown ain't here. You can try to get my gold the old fashioned way o' course. Would love ta see if you guys can walk the walk instead o' just talkin' tough."

"On tha other hand, an opposite arrangement could be made I reckon', if ye REALLY want the money from someone who's not willin' to pay..."

pfft/wrassle/work?

"Another dragon. Has less money than the other, and wrasslin' a big ol' ball o' fat is less fun than somebody who looks like they can actually move. Maybe give 'im a call if the banker is unresponsive? Or work for both of 'em, why not."

work/wrassle

Robodog posted:

Anathema
Basilissa Anathema of Blomstregård, King and Queen of the East and the West, Storhertuginde of the North, Archon of the Great Southern Sea, Imperator of the Pioneer Legion and Exulted Potentate of the Paramountcy

"Ah, the legend of ol' Anathema! Everyone knows THAT one, and probably even a version that nobody else does, HAH! Some say she just went an' exiled the archipelago from the mainland. The chiefs say she showed up one day and built some houses for who knows for what reason. Well, whichever is right, she's dead and we still have the fancy elf-houses back home for the chiefs ta fight over, so it's pretty clear to me who won THAT one particular tussle in tha end! *snort*"

she's dead? Why's she even ON this list???? Well, if she wasn't I'd probably try and wrassle her to see if the legends have any truth to them at all.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin

"Oi, the steppe riders are famous warriors, but less so for their power and more for their annoying tactic of shootin' some arrows and then runnin' away, harryin' you like a bunch of insects. Now I can appreciate the raidin' lifestyle, but try to have some honour about it sheeesh. If we ever meet, you'll get exactly one chance to not be an arse about our fight or it will be over for you."

wrassle.

_________

With a sigh, Sasha looked over her notes, her vision slightly blurry after her eight keg, but still flowing between the variables expertly.

Yes, it was clear what she should do.

Sasha took one look at the World Map on her wall, and reached for a throwing dart.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
The Players

Yet another individual who profits off of other's labor, whose only loves are gold and credit. But I can not fully condemn his vice, for it is the reason that he has managed to keep the kingdom firmly under his talon when it comes to its economic affairs. He if nothing else represents a centralization of all the greed and corruption wealth brings, and therefore makes quite the attractive target for tearing down those institutions which chain the masses to servitude.

I am of two minds regarding the broker. On one hand, he would be a powerful ally to have. On the other, he stands at risk of exposing my activities before I find myself ready to deal with any such repercussions. He will have to be handled carefully, in any case.

I have seen too many of my subjects slaughtered in a mindless rage to believe in just gods. But if this Ra'loah wishes to make their presence known and help my people, then I would be a fool to refuse their divine help.

I find myself in no position to judge which magicks a man wishes to practice, and I fully sympathize with any mages wish for freedom. Although I will not be seeking out his services, he is no enemy of mine.

Sasha Snowdrake
Yet another beast who slaughters innocents like livestock. They say she leads her marauders with keen strategy, that she sticks to a code of honor.
I say she is a monster just the same.

Lavelle Ingernassa
There is not a woman on this earth with whom I can sympathize more. To have your lands torn asunder and to be denied the help you so dearly need is a situation I myself know all too well.
If she were ever to wish my aid, she would only need to ask.

Lord Commander Von Voss
The Lord Commander is no doubt a good man who has the people's best intentions at heart. But as it stands he only serves to prop up an inefficient regime, and I will not hesitate if he stands in my way.

The Prince of Pigeons
Any man who would uplift those people whom the King ignores is a man who has earned my respect. I can only pray that he is not removed by those he puts at risk.

Kurt Hissin
I respect his tenacity, especially in light of all those forces who would see him dead. However, I do not look favorably on his chances. Perhaps I will find myself able to assist him. At any rate, open rebellion could be the wake-up call the nobility so desperately needs

Sudden Clarity
A fool who seeks to put down the unrest that plagues this kingdom without seeing the reasons for it. Blinded by her fervorous devotion to order, she has only found herself in any position of power due to her elders obsession with finding images in the clouds.

Wasted potential. She could have proven to be a force of change, but had instead settled into a life of meaningless pleasure at the expense of the peasantry. I will see her thrown aside with the rest of her line.

I do not understand his appeal.

The fact that such a criminal is allowed not only to run the tax systems of Sevrran, but to illegally profit off such actions as a matter of course, says more about this administration than any essay I could write.

We should suffer not a monstrosity to live.

Anathema
Mentioned throughout the Eldritch tomes that have make up my current reading, such scorn accompanies every mention of her name. An Ally? An enemy? I can not yet say. However, it is rumored that powerful fel magics accompanied her fall, and that is something I am very much interested in.

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin
Regardless of what titles he may possess, he is a bandit and a murder all the same

The Pieces

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe
A mindless pawn of the king, put in a position whose basic tenants she can not grasp. She serves no purpose other than to further the despicable plots of the courts and further their mad reach for power. The sooner she is removed from power, the sooner the people will be able to find the peace they deserve

Pope Sahalnir XI
A sociopath who hides his crimes behind the pretense of faith, hunting down any who would attempt to tear down his system of oppression. Any who oppose him are deemed heretics, and he places upon them the punishments he himself deserves.

The Windspeaker
A powerful Mage by reputation, and a constant thorn in the Church's side. Certainly an individual who I would like to make the acquaintance of.

An interesting case. No one seems to know how she fell out with the recent appointed regent, but the specifics aren't important. All that matters is how our goals line up.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Did someone say pie?

Josef bugman posted:

Kiris-Or
Information Broker

Pluck, gut, and wet brine for a day in advance in a cool place, stuff with seasoned gnome, potatoes, stuff inside wyvern with slices of whole apple, cover with bacon and roast for less than a day. The Orm have been good eating since they were chased out of the damned woods and onto the plains. Reasonably good sized eggs as well, although this one seems more cautious than most he probably spends a lot of time peeping at others and coveting shiny bits of foil like the rest of his species.

TheNabster posted:

EDIT: Ver 2.0

Probably chewy, without too many metal bits. I like the ones that think they're all tough and grit. Definitely try to eat him alive and kicking, and from a great height so he can see where he's going all the way down.

OscarDiggs posted:

Hehe. Look at him, so insecure in his own worth that he grubs among the humans for a name and identity. Youth lives on hope, hope and the pathological need to curry favor with those it considers peers and betters. That he has taken a human name and surrounds himself with human defenders should tell you all you need about Glaumdrang's true powers.

Cambrinus posted:

The Prince of Pigeons

Mmm, the scent of the Deep Ones is strong with this one and its servants. Salty, screamy, and best when taken in a whole bite along with many of its compatriots so that the wiggly bits slip out from between your teeth. If this is what I suspect it is I look forward to finding more.

Spicy, tingly, with a refreshing mouthfeel from all the blasphemous bone and other extra bits. Let him marinade for a few decades in a cool, dry place steeped in the knowledge that his efforts were worthless for best effect.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin

The horsefolk have a word for the last dragon to visit their plains. I don't remember what it is but it's something delightfully alliterative and means "Death which eats the herds and sky." The last of the heftier herd animals (hairy cows twice the size of a wagon! Twice!) on that plain were a delicious afternoon but now it's all bony little horses and even bonier riders who spread themselves out too far to avoid being eaten all at once. They know better than to cross me and I'm content to let them take charge of the herding for Leopold IV.

Robodog posted:

Anathema

Wretched elven she-witch.

[quote="Rauri" post="461750259"]

Cover with clay, bake with winter vegetables and serve with cooled desserts. Alternatively dip in syrup before frying. Mystical sand zealots eat just as easily as any other tiny mortal. Let's be honest with ourselves here, there are Gods of fire and faith in every desert everywhere and their prophets (whatever the flavor) always say the same things. Probably something to do with all those mushrooms and poisonous cacti growing out there.

Platonicsolid posted:

Archean Reach

Magic AND cultists. There's a reason why I eat both on sight. Or when I scent one in my territory. Or when I feel like getting that fizzy feeling in my gut.

Quornes posted:

Kurt Hissin

Hissin is pretty far away and honestly aside from precious minerals and people to eat (both of which I have plentifully already) I see no reason to bother. I guess Leopold needs it to send supplies for his wars abroad and I wish him well with that. Peasant revolutions on the other side of the kingdom aren't my problem but if they get close enough for me to bother I wouldn't mind taking a bite or two out of them just because. What? They have a prince too? Hahaha but he calls himself a King. Oh that's something.

Valhawk posted:

An evergrowing ball of meat which multiplies itself with mystic force? Why don't we just roll it up alongside a warehouse full of flour and eggs right now, break out the house-sized cauldrons of hot oil and never, ever let it leave? Feldrick! Open the batter vaults!

Theantero posted:

Oh my this looks interesting! I think I'll re-app one of my earlier creations. Hopefully she'll find a home here.

Ogres are always tricky to deal with. Big enough to be a good mouthful, tend to cluster in gangs big enough to be annoying, but quick enough to run away so that you're never quite full in the one sitting. And then there's the drat boats. Ugh, always the damned boats. Leave them to their boats and feed them whatever swill they're looking for and

megane posted:

Sudden Clarity

Dry, tasteless, and boring with a drink of plain water. The monks are always more trouble than they're worth except as a palate cleanser and even then they're no good except raw. They forget which Serpent it was exactly that their famous gate is named after (or perhaps remember too well) and know not to trouble dragons lest they be troubled in return.

GodFish posted:

To me, Leopold I will always be the one that got away. He will always be the meal not eaten, and if they hadn't disposed of his body the way they had I would have rooted out his tomb and damned the consequences. But my dear girl you must realize that you are not even the slightest shadow of him. I didn't dislike your father and your lifestyle choices infuriate Sahalnir so you'll always have my support there but you're not going to seize your brother's throne unless all of a sudden a great, great many people die violently.

Also let's not kid ourselves here eh? I'll even promise not to eat any of your courtly "companions" but try to hide it a little better if you want to avoid the wrong end of an Inquisitor's pike.

Apocron posted:

Ugh wizards. Half the things wrong everywhere are because of wizards and the other half merely excuses for them to tamper and make worse what first went wrong. Marvelous however is a perfectly agreeable fellow and I'm glad he's been able to make his way despite the prejudices against him. A solid crossguard on his shoulders, that one.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Not so sure about this one. While, yes, you're a mighty dragon, I feel there could be a little more to him than this, mechanically speaking. and I'm also not quite sold on the gnome servant one. One man can only do so much, and that counts double when it's only half a man!

Also I'm just going to say it: I'm only going to take one dragon, at most. So feel free to e-fistfight over who gets in. I will ignore the recruits and pick myself. :v:

Hm... How about something like +4 Elder Dragon/+2 Legendary Appetite? As for the gnomes while it may be true that mathematically you'd ordinarily expect 1/4 of the effort out of them compared to a normal man-sized servant what I'm looking for is more along the lines of a trait which represents the efforts of a tiny, long-suffering, and ultimately expendable dogsbody. So in practical terms oppressing them really hard and in creative ways should see a 400% increase in productivity. Also I need someone to go indoors and pass hand written invitations, set the silverware for company, etc. which requires access to tiny servants. For convenience sake I plan on calling all gnomes Feldrick regardless of name, occupation, or gender.

What about Gnomish Workers or Indentured Gnomeservants instead? Somethingsomething bloodline of servants, common saying "a Feldrick's chance at dinner," pressed into service at the dragon's behest. Oh! Or if you're ok with a little less diversity but more oppression +4 Elder Dragon/+4 Gnomish Workers, because centuries of living beneath the dragon's rule has created its own macroevolutionary selective pressure for gnomes which serve Orignoxfes well.

My tl;dr is a dragon that oppresses gnomes, enjoys free trade so that the cake must flow, and eats people. I'm definitely going to be a more fun times and light hearted except for eating people kind of dragon if you want to differentiate between the two of us. Expect fewer to no financial machinations, jokes or puns involving food (as well as copious commentary), and a great deal of grievous eating people or literally rolling over them if they're naughty. If there's some sort of zombie/skeleton horde scenario in the works I'm absolutely going to epic bowling ball on them.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I hope I got the right mix of :smug: and :smaug:

Josef bugman posted:

Precious little darlings, the Orm. Excitable and adventurous yet small and fragile, like little hatchlings celebrating their laying day. I freely admit a degree of affection for the Orm but if I had to pick favourites it would be the little magpie, Kiris-Or. Oh what songs he and his people sing to me, and so reasonable when it comes to pricing! Lower interest rates here, a few loan extensions there, an occasional lump sum and the odd tête-à-tête with a certain, specific individuals are all it takes for a chance to listen in on some of the most interesting of songs. I have a lot invested in Kiris-Or and I'm going to invest more in the future.

Rauri posted:

My Grandsire was there when the last of the Gods departed this plane and if I learnt one thing from him, it’s this; Your average Prophet is not a rare thing, but a profitable one is a darned sight more precious. Typically they tend to be pretty solid as far as investments go, as long as they survive the initial inquisition. A chance to get in on the ground floor? Tempting, but risky, especially in the current political climate. A little side-bet then, something I can afford to risk. Not too much lost on a dud, but a veritable fortune to made if it turns into the real thing.

Valhawk posted:

Magic, the thing you mud-men invented so could soar through the skies and fill your lungs with fire. You’re so close, so close to shedding that limiting form and becoming something far greater. But alas, you fall short. I understand, seeing a Dragon in all its glory is intimidating. Becoming one even more so. Other then that your magic would give you a certain attractiveness from an investment view, if it weren't for that whole exiled north thing you have going on. Some of my best business is in the north; for your sake, I hope we walk in different social circles.

Contrary to popular belief, Ogres tend to make poor sailors. Strong and unruly, the shortest time it took to go from crew to mutiny was 3 hours. I know, I was timing it. However, they make the best sea captains I have ever seen. It’s something about their honour that, when they’re actually in charge of moving valuable goods instead of just doing the grunt work, makes them fiercely protective of my cargo. Sasha then, is the best of the best and has earned the honour of being my sole contracter when it comes to mercenary work. The only downside, is her repeated offers of a discount if only I “wrassle” her. I don’t know whether that’s a literal thing or some Ogre slang term I’m not familiar with. And I don’t know what would be worse.

Platonicsolid posted:

Lavelle Ingernassa, High Sorceress of Archea
Magic and a competent administrator? You would be a sure thing if not for your temper. Wrath is expected and admired in a Dragon, not someone looking for an investment from a Dragon. I need cool heads if I’m to keep earning my dividends. Well actually, if you’re really that desperate, I suppose we might be able to work out a deal given enough time. I warn you though, you’re a sub-prime investment so the interest may be a little... steep.

Savidudeosoo posted:

No price too high, eh? This will be the start of a beautiful business deal. I can see it now; newly paved streets, freshly opened business and market centres, elegant universities and libraries, all with “Paid for by the First Bank of Sevvran” stamped on the sides. Make me your sole business partner and I promise you a good deal. Just sign on the dotted line and... Sniff I smell... hatred. Well, the question isn't whether or not you hate me, is it? The question is, do you hate me so much that we're not going to be able to do business together?

TheNabster posted:

Ah, dearest Viktor. The man hates me but he’s forced to work for me. Someone needs evicting? I get Viktor to sort it out. Protesters delaying business? Viktor will fix it. Trouble at the docks? Call for Viktor! He’s like a bodyguard I don’t have to pay. Ah, but I must be careful not to wear my favourite toy out. To keep him pacified, I throw him the odd bone. Triple ring-fenced pensions for soldiers, quarterly donations to the war-widows fund and that sort of thing.

Cambrinus posted:

The Prince of Pigeons
I know what’s bad for my business when I smell it. I may not know the exact details of your plan but believe me when I say, I was here first!

Quornes posted:

Kurt Hissin
The age old question. Do I invest in the safe option and ensure a small but steady profit, or do I bet it all on red? Oh, if I were a few centuries younger and not so deeply buried in this comfortable pile of gold, I would give the wheel a spin, no doubt. As it stands, you’ll have to make it worth my while.

megane posted:

Sudden Clarity
This is the bad kind of religion, the unprofitable kind. To much self-reflection tends to do that to you two-leggers. Individually though, these types can offer a solid return, especially if they belong to a honourable, "always repay a debt" sect, the trouble is in getting them to take the first step. I’ve never paid attention to the chanting of mud-men that far west, so I couldn’t say one way or the other.

GodFish posted:

Ah, the littlest Sevvran. You remind me of dear Wilhelmine. History may remember her as the fool who lost the banking rights of an entire nation, but I know her differently. She was a wise woman who was dealt a bad hand by the actions of her forebears. Even while she was signing me into control, she was fighting for every extra regulation, every additional responsibility she could force upon me. She was a worthy adversary and her like has yet to be seen again. I will watch your story with great interest.

Apocron posted:

Mana from heaven! The spectacle, the shout of the crowd, the debt you’re amassing to continue living your lifestyle of indulgence! And you’re not at risk of expiring any time soon so I won't have to hunt my repayments down. My word, you are very quickly approaching my third largest investment return yet. The advertising, the endorsements, the merchandising. You are going to make me a lot of money my friend. Are you coming to the De Wallis Ball next week? My treat?

Ronwayne posted:

You poor two-legger. Here you are, wasting away on the dirt with a mind and soul like yours. You were born in the wrong body sir and for that, you have my sincerest pity. With that in mind, if I catch you or your associates sniffing around any of my banking houses again I am going to kill you. Remember, those out-dated and obscure laws you’re using? I wrote them.

You... you pitiable wretch! We are of regal bearing, noble comportment and divine birth. We are Dragons! And you do that to yourself willingly? We are dying and you revel in that death.

Hello again my dear, how are the mountains treating you? I must warn you, it was interesting the first time you danced your dance upon the land, but I fear your second performance will not capture nearly as much attention. Or have as much success. Take my advice please, they only tolerate you if you have something to offer. And you don’t... Yet. Come back in time, as we’ll see if we can do business.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin
So much potential underneath all that mud you willingly cover yourself in. There is much we could do together, me and you and your son, and his son, and so on. Will you take the first step to true greatness, or will you wallow on the earth? Either way, I’m going to make a profit. You can as well, if you are willing.

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe DRAGONBANE
HAAAAAAAAAAATE. Only one good thing has come of your ascension, and that is your increasing list of failures. I see you, walking the tight-rope of courtly intrigue and failing spectacularly. I want you to know that I’m waiting in the wings, just underneath your rope. And when you fall I will FEAST

Pope Sahalnir XI
A very useful ally in my personal war against Dragonbane. A very useful ally who frequently in-debts himself with opulent tastes and extravagant missionary campaigns. Typically I don't get that much return on the monetary front, but I get much in the way in less concrete services. It also helps that the entirety of the church banks with me.

The Windspeaker
I approve on the principal on the thing, but there is such a thing as being too diversified. I'm only looking to invest in one prophet this century so work it out with the other one.

Petra Asfaran, the Wolf's DRAGONBANE’S Pup
HATE, though on a much lesser scale. She has recently started opposing her master. This could be the opportunity I’ve been looking for. For grand or for petty revenge, who can tell?

As for other flavors of Dragon apps, both would be pretty interesting to see in action I think and puppies has the potential be a lot funnier then mine in the long run, but I'm still biased towards my guy.

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 9, 2016

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

OscarDiggs posted:

As for other flavors of Dragon apps, both would be pretty interesting to see in action I think and puppies has the potential be a lot funnier then mine in the long run, but I'm still biased towards my guy.

For what it's worth, I'm rooting for you.

After all, it was your app that sold me on this game!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Lavelle's Journal

The Players

OscarDiggs posted:

A base creature lurking in the heart of the Kingdom's economic life, he would be more concerning if he had shown any interests beyond his own bottom line. Likely to support status quo in interest of stability, approach for funding only in extreme circumstances.

An impressive spy. If all my followers were as competent, we'd overthrow the Kingdom in a week. If rumours about Lord Rothsmere are true, has already acted against the oppressors in his own way. Interests of the Orm may align with our own - potential ally.

Rauri posted:

Samarah Ka Qismah

Driven and brilliant, I see much of myself in her. If only she realized true power comes from one's own will, not some Demon-God pretender. Acceptable goal of removing the Oppressor, if done properly. Succession chaos will be of assistance.

Valhawk posted:

A rising power in Alcor, a land much like my own. We share a hatred of Sevvran's magical backwardness, and if he were to separate Alcor from the Kingdom, we would be strong allies. Legend says the old High Sorceresses used fleshshaping to create powerful and impressive servants - I would be extremely interested in learning from this man.

Theantero posted:

Sasha Snowdrake

You always know what you'll get with an ogre, and that honesty I can respect. She'll just as soon fight for us against us, wherever the coin leads.

Savidudeosoo posted:

Count Edvard Marcel Borde

A land nearly as abused and mistreated as Archea, Niloufar would be a natural ally. Count Edvard clearly is willing to take bold action, nly his noble title gives me pause. Will he truly commit to all that must be done?

TheNabster posted:

I will kill him in his sleep and bury him in an unmarked grave.

Cambrinus posted:

The Prince of Pigeons

A rumour? A whisper? A source of chaos, to be nurtured and encouraged where possible.

Quornes posted:

Kurt Hissin

Yet another proud people crushed under the boot of Sevvran oppression. The Hidden King's martial bent would be a valuable compliment to my own people's magic. If we rise together, the Sevvrans will be overwhelmed. Now to track him down and win him over.

megane posted:

Sudden Clarity

Apolitical! Bah, no such thing. Inaction only serves to prop up the oppressor's regime.

GodFish posted:

Leona Sevvran

And interesting one, this Leona, at once of the Oppressor's line and a challenge to his station. We gain little from playing courtly games directly - if her can cause sufficient disruption, however, we must be ready to sieze the opening.

Apocron posted:

Quite a trick.

Ronwayne posted:

One of the regime's many functionaries, I expect little from him that could aid the cause. He will likely cling to the sinking ship of the regime until the last.

Bloated, festering, and cruel - a natural ally for the Sevvrans! Destroy.

Robodog posted:

Anathema

Could it be, the great Basilissa herself? If half the legends are true, she would outclass all the leaders of the past century put together. To put a player like her on the board would immediately consume all other attention. Could we conjure a better diversion? Even more, could this tyrant be wooed to our cause? Unlikely, I know, yet the potential seems so tempting...

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin

Famed warriors, rightly, yet without apparent direction. Unlikely to be important players, possible source of hired recruits.

The Pawns

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe

High handed, unpredictable, relying on personal loyalties - I couldn't ask for a better Regent, and the longer she runs Sevvran the greater the unrest will become.

Yami Fenrir posted:

What is going on in the Regent's household? Write the split in flaming letters on a mountain and it owuld be more subtle. There is some secret going on, a secret that could harm the Kingdom. I must know it.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Pope Sahalnir XI

I have yet to decide if I will make his skin into a coat or merely mount his head in the throne room of the Great Sanctum. In either event, he will pay for bringing his zealotry to my land.

Yami Fenrir posted:

The Windspeaker

An interesting if slightly strange presence. She gives the church pains, which amuses me, yet anybody without a clear agenda should always be treated with caution.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Lucius

An assassin that used to be in employ of the late king, Lucius' motives are a mystery. During the Leopold III's reign, enemies of the king suddenly "disappeared", "died of sickness", or had "unfortunate accidents" relating to this man, but few have ever seen him do his grim business. What little is known about him is his famous weaponry of exotic design.

Now, however, he seems to have other loyalties - by the looks of it, to simple coin. Otherwise, the cases where a mysterious noble dies days before their most hated rival make little sense. But, would someone of that skill really work as a simple hired murderer?

Regardless, the man is a superb assassin - and most likely open to contracts, assuming you find away to contact him first...

Amerigo Hieronymus, numerous reports of his involvement have shown up... eliminating your rivals. Convenient, isn't it? Who died to him, and what do you think this spree of killings is about?
Prince Orignoxfes, Elder Dragon, your food has repeatedly been poisoned. It wasn't enough to deal with the legendary iron stomach of a dragon, but it is still bothersome. Do you think this man is behind it?

Damning Secrets:

???
???

Amporus, Heresy Incarnate

Wanted dead by just about every ruler and religious figurehead on the entire continent, this man is a menace. Wielding the forbidden (and long thought forgotten, until the recent resurgence) power of blood magic, some people say every single step he takes, he leaves heresy and damnation in his wake.

And it might as well be true. His crimes not only include wielding forbidden magic, but also murder, soul binding, and grave desecration. Over the last decade, he has drained so many souls and so much blood that his power has become greater than most mortal mages.

Whatever his eldritch goals are, they have appeared to brought him to Sevvran...

Artur “The Sculptor” Regios, fancy meeting your old friend again, huh? Why do you think he's going to be a major thorn in your side this time around?
Anathema, you remember this specific type of blood magic. Even a woman of ambition as great as yours refused to use it. What makes it so dangerous, and do you intend to do anything about it?

Damning Secrets:

???

Verenas of Talrimas

Current head of the military concil, Verenas is the current heir to the prestigious House Talrimas, and possesses both the charisma expected of such a position as well as talent in the arts of war. He is a firm supporter of Lady Wulfe, despite the fact that it's an open secret he desires more political power for the military.

While most see him as someone who has been born into the position rather than earned it, it is clear that he is rapidly growing into the position he has been given. Most often seen with his exotic pet, the cloud serpent Jormun.

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin, it's pretty clear this man isn't very fond of you. Why is that?

Damning Secrets:

???
???

Ludwig of Urios, the Snake

If Von Voss is known as the Bear for his stalwartness, and de Wulfe as the Wolf for her ferocity, then Ludwig of Urios is known as the Snake for his forked tongue. A known manipulator and mastermind, he somehow always seems to find a way to get what he wants - not always legal or religiously acceptable. He has, however, made it a habit to stay in favor with the crown JUST enough to not get his head chopped off, and turned it into an art form.

Right now, House Urios holds the most territory of all the noble houses, and seemingly has decided not to involve itself in the brewing civil war. However, with Urios, things are never as they seem... or are they?

Kiris-Or, this man worries you deeply. What is it that makes finding information on him so difficult, other than simple secrecy?
Lavelle Ingernassa, what makes you think that this man has it out for you? What do you think his motives are?
Count Edvard Marcel Borde, Ludwig helped out your province... once. Could it be that he actually cares? No way, right?

Damning Secrets:

???
???
???
???
???

Sasha Snowdrake, quite energetic, the young lass, isn't she? What kind of bout did you two end up in, and how did it end?
The Prince of Pigeons, what about this young girl makes you think she'd be easily pulled into your schemes? Why haven't you yet?
Leona Sevvran, Petra is (or was?) one of your closest friends from when you were little. However, you're kind of stuck with de Wulfe at the moment. What do you think of her sudden change of heart? Did it affect your friendship? If so, how?

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe
Kurt Hissin, your father died because of a betrayal. What was the betrayal, and why do you think de Wulfe of all people was behind it? She's not exactly known for secrecy...
Sudden Clarity, what do you think about meeting someone that can best you in swordplay, but is not using your style? Also, what worries you about her?

Pope Sahalnir XI
Lord Commander Viktor Von Voss, the Pope specifically asked for your assistance in a delicate matter. What was it, and did you end up accepting his request?
Marvelous Magnus's Magic Sword, this man has repeatedly called for your immediate... dismantling. How does it feel, being brought into a world, immediately hated for things outside of your control, and what do you intend to do about all this? The peasants may like you, but they're not the one in charge...

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 13, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Thanda, Dervish of the Desolate Wastes

Four hundred years ago, our people reigned. The plains of Nazir were a wonderous land of the magical laceglass, libraries of knowledge and fertile valleys. Now it is but a wasteland. For there are certain secrets of the world that are too terrible for the world to understand, and the Mageocracy found them. They tapped into the leylines of magic to try and power a spell that would ascend them as gods, and it backfired horribly. The land warped, laceglass shattered and libraries burned in what became known as the Naziri cataclysm. At the epicenter of the blast nothing was left living. A million people wiped out in an instant, and millions more dying a slow death from magical overload. We the Undying were the ones who survived. Warped beyond humanity, broken and reforged we were reborn. For when the magic touched us it warped us beyond humanity, making us stronger, faster and tougher. When the dust had finally settled, the Plains of Nazir was no more. In it's place were the Desolate Wastes. The penance of the Undying.

It took us several years to master the wastes, to figure out how to live off of a barren landscape, to tame it to be ours, but we managed. When we finally ventured out of the Wastes, the world had changed. Sevvran, a small kingdom compared to ours, had risen and become the local superpower. When they sent expiditions to the Wastes, they found us. Communications opened between us opened, and we accepted trade between our populace and Sevvran. We show them safe paths across the Wastes, so their merchants can cross the other side. In return, they bring us precious food and water. When Leopold the III came to power, he extended an arm of civility to myself and my brethren. A contingent of us moved to Ark's Landing in a symbol of unification. A move that was ill-advised by the Church there, who think us demons. That is our Penance, and we still endure.

When the new king took the throne, he did not trust us as Leopold III once did. He kept us as arms length, and we lost trust in him. Then he rushed off to war. He must be deposed, for his actions will bring this country to ruin. I command the Undying, and with my word, they will come to support whoever I choose for the throne.

[+4] Unbroken, Undying: The Cataclysm warped the remaining Naziri to a point where they were no longer human. With their rock-like skin and an immunity to time, the Naziri became known as the Undying. But what people are not quite as aware of is the inherent resistance to magic that they have, which was needed to survive the magical destruction. The greatest of the Undying, Thanda included, can even dispel magics with simply a touch.

[+4]Dervish of the Desolate Wastes: Thanda was the paramount warrior of the Naziri, and time has only improved his skill. He has not been lazy these past four hundred years, and has only trained more. For those that would reach too far or too deep with magic shall meet his blade, in remembrance of the millions lost.

[-2]Demonic Visage The Undying are monstrous in appearance, and the Church has capitalized on that. Naming the Undying Demons, they have turned a large portion of the common populace against them. Whilst the nobility will still interact with the Undying, due to their influence within the court, the common folk regard Thanda anywhere from fear to outright hostility.

The Desolate Wastes

[+2]Creatures of Rock and Sand After the Cataclysm, the remnant magics animated the very earth itself. Beasts made of rock, fire and sand came to life and make the Wastes their home. They do not take intruders lightly, and will kill anyone who invades into their lair.

[+2]Harsh Landscape The creatues of the Wastes are not it's greatest danger. The landscape of the Desolate Wastes are far more deadly. Sands that are poison even to step upon, magics that threaten to change your very existance, and little shade to escape from the beating sun. Few people can survive in the wastes, and those that do are never the same when they come back out.

[-2] Barren Wasteland THe Wastes are not conducive to life, wild magic flows abundant, sulfurous sands kill any plants that try to grow on them, and the warped landscape makes it difficult to traverse. The fact that the Undying have managed to eke out a living out here is impressive, and they are all the stronger for it.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 10, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Yami Fenrir posted:

Sasha Snowdrake, quite energetic, the young lass, isn't she? What kind of bout did you two end up in, and how did it end?

Sasha Snowdrake

Sasha was quite happily engaged in picking remnants of beef jerky from between her teeth when her attention was roused by one of the crewmen in the mess hall.

"Hey Capn', what's the deal with that one wolfkid? Why's a pup like that on yer list?"

Inspecting a little sinewy glob of preserved meat she had managed to fish out before casually flicking it away, Sasha turned to face the sailor with a grin. "Oi, I suppose that's a fair enough question, what with yer not bein' a part of the crew back then."

Leaning back on her chair and throwing her feet on the table, Sasha started explaining. "See, me and the crew were visitin' Ark's Landin' a handful o' years back. Might've been some job or another fer that dragon fella, somethin about guardin' a large gold transfer to the capital or whatever. But that's not important, what's important is that with the job done we had buncha time and gold on our hands and a willin'ness to use it."

"Oi and if ye had a willin'ness ta actually get to the point instead of yammerin' endlessly he'd know already instead o' havin' to waste 'is time", interrupted a heckler, escorted by a few laughs, that became a crescendo after said heckler was promptly answered by a flying dinner plate smashing into his face.

"And if ye have a willin'ness to interrupt yer captain one more time maybe I'll have a willin'ness to mop the floor with yer face again. How 'bout it Blackflint? Would make the second time this month eh?"

Sasha chuckled a bit, downed her tankard and continued. "Yeh but anyways one thing leads to another an' before ye know it we are dancin' a merry jig on the market square. I think, I don't really have such a good memory o' that night. Just havin' a good time, but the continentals were o' course gettin their panties in a twist 'bout public disturbance or somesuch. There's some arguin' back and forth you know, the good ol' fashioned banter. But then this one wee lass decided to step up and come and talk big, just a kid back then. Claimin' ta be the protege o' the wolf herself, she tried to ORDER", some laughs can be heard "us to leave. So ye, I told her what I'd tell any kid bein' a nuisance. Ta piss off. But this younglin' was tenacious, I tell you. wouldn't listen no matter how many times I threw 'er aside, tryin' ta land feeble punches any chance she got. I mean, I was real close to gettin' tired of her meddlin' when outta nowhere she takes the meat cleaver from this butcher's stand, LEAPS into the air, cleaves the tankard from my hand, and yells at the top o' her lungs how drinkin' in public is forbidden!" Sasha snorts a bit, and downs another tankard. "I was a bit shocked, even!"

"Yeh, at that point I realized that this kid was no weaklin', and that she deserved respect. And a person that deserves respect deserves to be taken' seriously in a fight. So yeh, I tossed 'er around a bit, broke an arm I think. She was still a wee lass after all. But o' course, the outcome was not that important. What's important is that she made an impression so strikin' that me and the crew decided to honor her wishes even tho she lost, and went on a lil' road trip to the surroundin' countryside instead."

"Ever since then I've made a point o' checkin' on 'er progress every time I'm there. 'Cus believe me that girl has not just the potential of a great warrior, but the heart as well."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Thanda, Rage of the Desolate Wastes

I said it a couple times already, but: You may be powerful, but you are but one man. (Thing? Who knows.) How do you intend to change a thing to your liking again? How are you going to force your way as only one warrior? What I'm saying is: You are very likely not going to have a great time with that flaw.

Also, no offense, but we kind of have enough "I want to get revenge on Sevvran" folks already. The line is getting pretty big, and as they say, variety is the spice of life

To everyone else: If you made any recent changes to your app, please note them again! Hard to keep track of it.

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
The Opinions of a Mindflayer

Dragons? Dragons are intelligent, yet oddly instinctive beings. They are predictable in the most volatile of ways. Glaumdrang Wealth-Checker is odd in that he's managed to harness his short term greed in order to increase his wealth in the long run, which shows discipline, restraint. Rare things in a dragon. Glaumdrang is the exception to the rule exemplified by Prince Orignoxfes, perhaps the most self-indulgent dragon still left alive within Sevvran. I'd rather deal with the latter, for a self-indulgent mind has many cracks, where a calculating one just has turning cogs for my tentacles to get stuck in.

Speaking of winged things, Kiris-Or is more like a gnat than a bird. Still, he knows too much, delves too deep. His regard for the lives of lesser beings is regrettable. Information is so much more powerful when it is not bound by fickle morality. His compassion makes him weak, and weak wills break. Soon, I will add him to my rookery.

Perhaps after I've become a breaker of birds, I will try my tentacles at horses? Their Beylerbeyi Jalaludin I haven't heard of until recently, but the fame of his horde is well-known. I once tasted the brain of one of the outcasts from the Massif Steppes. It tasted unrefined, but with a feisty kick to it; unfortunately I was left with the taste of horse in my mouth for far too long after. Still, if I could harness or steer this horde, it might help draw attention away from me.

Thankfully, the Kingdom's officials seem to be otherwise occupied. As long as I keep the Slums orderly, Lord Commander Von Voss will stay out of my business. I'm sure we'll run afoul of one another at some point, but maybe by then I will have him convinced that we ought to be friends, he and I; we both serve the people, don't we? Same goes for that thief turned tax-collector, Amerigo Hieronymus: there's no squeezing blood from a turnip, so he's mostly left the Slums alone. The man is renowned for his audacity, but also for his abundance of spirit. As long as I don't paint too large a target on my back, he will likely seek other, more challenging opportunities to prove his mettle. Verenas of Talrimas is the last of the Kingdom's powerful to make his presence known. Not a humble man, I hear, though fiercely loyal for now. With most of the military abroad, his power is more ceremonial than actual, especially with De Wulfe at the helm. I have naught of what he seeks, so for now, I will merely keep an eye on him.

I suppose we must talk of the rebels, too, mhm? Lord Niloufar is an intriguing man, and his is an intriguing province. There rests a taint upon the brains of the people that come from his Duchy, a taint not quite of this world. It smacks of desperation, with a side of the Fel. His love for his people would make him a natural ally: we both represent the oppressed, the abandoned. His conviction, however, might make him a hard man to fool. The same could be said of "King" Kurt Hissin. My brethren have long since sought to explain the natural gifts of his lineage, for it matches our own in power, if not in subtlety or training. Human minds are too weak, too unaccustomed to such power. A man so tenaciously holding to his birthright, despite the seeming hopelessness of the situation, has a strong will. Whether fueled by anger or desperation, a will such as his might be hard to control.

A rebel of a different sort is Petra Asfaran, the Wolf's Pup. Hers is not a politically, but personally inspired rebellion it would seem. Whomever so scorned can be a useful pawn, likely she'll be trapped in all sorts of machinations before the month is out. If some of those machinations are mine, all the better. Last, but certainly not the least of the rebels, we must discuss the High Sorceress Lavelle Ingernassa. Her power is great, even despite Sevvran's restrictions on the use of magic. No matter how much the simple-minded might try, magic always seeps through the cracks of mundane legislation and it empowers the meek and the bold alike. She is certainly bold, but also vengeful. I care not about her magic use, we all use the tools at our disposal, but she is a sharp knife best pointed at another.

Another mage, has presented himself in the unstable political environs left by our dear King. That dangerous man, Artur "The Sculptor" Regios. Dangerous, for a man solely driven by discontent, vengeance, and a lust for forbidden power, is a man with little left to lose. Nevertheless, his particular talents could complement my own quite well, and his dislike of both state and chuch might well work to my benefit. Perhaps I'll have to send him some poor wretches for his experimentations, but that's a fair price to pay for his allegiance. I could do much much, much worse for an ally: Amporus walks the land again, and none are safe from his corruption. Best keep this man away from my dominion. There's only room for one monster in the Slums.

There's also the various religious powers in the realm. Pope Sahalnir XI is a formidable man, with a zeal that has managed to ward off my cursory probings into his business. His war with the Gray Wolf is a boon to my cause, however, and his growing unpopularity, as well as his pandering to royal demands in regard to dogma, make him a perfect strawman for my movement. Who knows, perhaps I will be able to find someone of more popular piety to back as his inevitable successor? Maybe one of the two wandering prophetesses will suffice? The Windspeaker and Samarah Ka Qismah intrigue me, as do all who claim to hear voices or spirits. Their brains tend to be open to manipulation by more earthly powers as well, and their zeal and faith will certainly cause instability in the church, instability I might well exploit. Both are marked as heretics, however, but only one has a potential powerbase to back it up. The Red Vale, always a hotspot for religious sedition, might well become much less peripheral to Sevvran in the days to come.

But I am more intrigued by this unbound Windspeaker for now: a lone girl, in a big and dangerous kingdom, hunted by the Church? The Slums would make an excellent place for her to hide, as well as for her to raise her profile. Her words would be assured many winds and wings to carry them forward swiftly --if perhaps a little censored, of course. Unfettered by political bonds, she could well be easily harnessed to my cause, but I am wary of overplaying my hand too soon. Piss off either the Gray Wolf or the Pope, and I may well get away with it, for the two seem too busy fighting amongst each other. But harboring a known and hunted heretic, this brings attention I don't quite crave just now. If only I knew more of her actual goals, then perhaps I would better know how to fit her into my schemes. If she's not the right fit, I may well have to become religious myself...

Much hangs on the actions of the Court, perhaps the only place more chaotic and treacherous than the Slums themselves. Lady Beatrice de Wulfe is a godsent. She is as fearsome a warrior as she is inept a ruler. This makes it hard for anyone to overthrow her by force, but allows many intrigues to grow and fester unchecked. Leopold IV sure did the ambitious of his realm a favor leaving her in charge: I sure reap the fruits of the seeds of discontent that she continues to sow. One of these seeds might well be Leona Sevvran. One such as her will undoubtedly come to chafe under the overbearing presence of De Wulfe, and her hedonist nature, when indulged, will infuriate those that suffer the most under the wartime regime: the poor, the deprived, the overburdened. Whatever happens at court, it will only play into my hand, I'm sure.

Finally, there are quite a few wild cards in play. Sasha Snowdrake is pretty far from my concerns at the moment: Ogre brains taste like the burnt rock that nourished them to life, not a taste I particularly relish. They're also notoriously hard to control with anything but gold, and even then, they're annoyingly prone to wrecking your plans alongside your enemies. May she find employ far, far away from me. Same goes for Marvelous Magnus's Magic Sword. No brain to speak of, only an animated will gone awry. What use have I for a gladiator? My people are too poor for bloodsport, too averse to magic to appreciate the charm of this thing. Nonetheless, I find it an entertaining phenomenon and look forward to the day when it's set free from the Colosseum.

The same can not be said for Lucius. If only this extraordinary assassin had remained chained to the royal will, at least then you'd know who you'd have to piss to draw his attention. I have neither the coin, nor the desire to hire him --I prefer my brains fresh, thank you very much-- but if I could know more of his motives, perhaps I could keep him from coming my way. He's almost as inscrutable as Ludwig of Urios, a man that lives up to his name. I have no business with the Snake, but he's definitely a player, a man to keep at the back of your mind, and in front of your face. Never turn your back on either an assassin or a snake, is what ancient wisdom advises. Which brings me to Thanda. Too many have turned their back on him, think that his will is broken, his knee still bent. Never leave a half-tame dog alone with your children --how many useless old sage brains have I eaten this past month?--. Perhaps he'll do some of my hard work for me.

There's also rumor that the Order Resplendent is stirring under the leadership of one Sudden Clarity. Clarity, among religious zealots, I hardly think so. Their minds are clouded by vague beliefs, their actions restrained by ancient rules. Legendary warriors though they might be, I don't think they'll be much of an issue for the foreseeable future; let them play catch-up to the times first. Finally, there's whispers that the Elves --oh, how bitter-sweet are their cranial contents-- have regained a Queen of Old: Anathema. I place little stock in old-wives' tales and the unreliable histories of men, so much less accurate than the collective memory of my people. Perhaps they've just conjured up her name in this day and age to bolster their own movement, perhaps she's actually here. If she is, she will make a fearsome foe, or a powerful ally. It all depends on where her sympathies lie.

This grew and grew as more posts popped up, but I hope I've managed to get it up to date with the thread. I will edit my Flaw into my app!

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Yami Fenrir posted:

Wanted dead by just about every ruler and religious figurehead on the entire continent, this man is a menace. Wielding the forbidden (and long thought forgotten, until the recent resurgence) power of blood magic, some people say every single step he takes, he leaves heresy and damnation in his wake.

And it might as well be true. His crimes not only include wielding forbidden magic, but also murder, soul binding, and grave desecration. Over the last decade, he has drained so many souls and so much blood that his power has become greater than most mortal mages.

Whatever his eldritch goals are, they have appeared to brought him to Sevvran...

Damning Secrets

???

Artur “The Sculptor” Regios, fancy meeting your old friend again, huh? Why do you think he's going to be a major thorn in your side this time around?

Artur continued his flight northward, thus far he had managed to disguise himself and already he was running low on funds. He thought about the news of Amporus' return, and how it had changed his world. They had been friends, both from rural provinces, breveted into the Colleges at young ages. Amprous had been a natural, a veritable genius, and with their shared background they had gotten along well. It was Amporus' failure to be selected for a number of highly prestigious and difficult positions that had finally driven home that skill mattered nothing in Sevvran's colleges, not compared to noble blood and political influence. The two had actually come up with the idea to research "less wholesome" fields of magic in an attempt to stand out. However, Amprous had always been brash, more willing to take risks than Artur. Artur had proceeded slowly, carefully, attempting to avoid discovery. That tact, if that is what it could be called, is what caused some other magi to turn a blind eye to Artur's inquiries. However, Amporus had been too open, to hard to ignore. It has let him proceed faster than Artur, but at the cost of bringing the wrath of the college down upon him.

He remembered back to that night, Amporus had come into his room, his things packed. He explained that he had to leave, he asked Artur to flee with him, together they could advance their power in unimaginable ways. Artur, however, demurred, he was too cautious, too cowardly, he now, realized to accept. Amprous did not take the news well, calling Artur a traitor and declaring their friendship to be over. He fled, becoming the very face of forbidden magic, while Artur continued his studies in secret. He had realized just how much he had regretted not taking his friend up on his offer, but the past was the past.

However, his "old friend" had managed to get the last laugh. Artur had followed Amporus' doings with some interest, however news of his return had sent the kingdom into a panic, and that sort of panic made is much harder to turn a blind eye to someone like Artur, which is what lead to this current mess. Amporus had already made his life much more difficult, he had no doubt that the man would continue to do so. Artur had eyes on the entire kingdom, and now a days neither seemed the type willing to share, not to mention Amporus' feelings of betrayal directed at his old friend. Together it was likely to be an explosive combination, that made a confrontation all but inevitable in the long term.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lucius

An assassin that used to be in employ of the late king, Lucius' motives are a mystery. During the Leopold III's reign, enemies of the king suddenly "disappeared", "died of sickness", or had "unfortunate accidents" relating to this man, but few have ever seen him do his grim business. What little is known about him is his famous weaponry of exotic design.

Now, however, he seems to have other loyalties - by the looks of it, to simple coin. Otherwise, the cases where a mysterious noble dies days before their most hated rival make little sense. Regardless, the man is a superb assassin - and most likely open to contracts, assuming you find away to contact him first...

Damning Secrets

???
???

Amerigo Hieronymus, numerous reports of his involvement have shown up... eliminating your rivals. Convenient, isn't it? Who died to him, and what do you think this spree of killings is about?
Prince Orignoxfes, Elder Dragon, your food has repeatedly been poisoned. It wasn't enough to deal with the legendary iron stomach of a dragon, but it is still bothersome. Do you think this man is behind it?

Given that it would have left Leopold III with an unsecured border, a draconic sized corpse filled with enough volatile chemicals to possibly and explosively poison the territory for decades, and fewer taxes/more bandits in the long run as noone would be regularly eating them I'd say it probably wasn't him who ordered it if at all. The same should apply for Leopold IV. The gnomes do try to poison me quite regularly but for the most part I try not to tell them I consider their efforts to be nothing more than amusingly exotic spices. The amount of conventional poison required to kill a dragon of my magnificence would be staggering, so anything to give me a bother would have to be extremely specifically designed or magic. I suspect the latter but won't know for sure until I get my teeth around the dodgy little wisp.

Ugh blood magic. And even more useless than the other one. There's plenty of ways to bake blood into pudding but the strain of magic he's using tends to make the whole thing taste off. Burn on sight.

Verenas of Talrimas

Another swordsman in a long line of swordsmen. It's no real secret where his ambitions for the Silent Knight lie, military adventurism notwithstanding. His grungy little pet wouldn't make half a mouthful but I'm willing to give it a go. I rather much preferred it when they came with horses.

Urios is another of many clever enough to be an annoyance but too clever by far to live anywhere else but Ark's Landing or other places too troublesome and far away for me to eat. Urios is originally all the way across Sevvra but with the recent changes in borders it's suddenly a lot more convenient for me to reach him should I feel inclined for a mediocre meal filled with no surprises.

I have updated my character sheet into +4 Dragon +2 Legendary Hunger +2 Gnomish servants.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Completely overhauled my app.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

Kiris-Or, this man worries you deeply. What is it that makes finding information on him so difficult, other than simple secrecy?

Information is hard to come by on someone who might not just be one person at all. Oh yes, I see that look, but I know that my mens abilities are not to be sniffed at and I am certain that there is not a single one of the snake, but two. Consider his ability to enact plots within plots, to escape observation and even thaumatical readings of his abilities. He is either a demon, as some of my more excitable people have it, or he is simply capable enough to appeal whilst being two persons. I would not be surprised to learn a bit more about their combat capabilities, but they are almost assuredly plotting to expand their holdings across the kingdom.

They are almost assuredly twins of some sort, more than likely one handles "personal" issues, the other the wider reach. I would be surprised if it was anything more sinister, but perhaps we should worry about more in these times.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 11, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

berenzen posted:

A worthy warrior, a tremendous fighter, and so close to necromancy that just being near it makes my skin crawl, fighting the undead was almost as bad as fighting dragons. We have extended our hand to these people before and we should not turn our backs to them, especially not when the amount of willing allies of Sevvran we can count on one hand but... I still feel incredibly uneasy in their presence.

Do you have any idea how many times people have attempted to assassinate me? Too many, that's how many times. For this reason I do not like to involve myself with assassins, especially this one.

Yami Fenrir posted:

I am often asked why I am so vehemently opposed to any magical assistance in my army what so ever despite the cases for its inclusion being very reasonable and sound arguments. And I say this man, this man is why I do not suffer mages in my staff. One deserter with a sword is merely a thug, but one deserter with a spellbook is a catastrophe waiting to happen. I would hunt this man like a dog, but I am told hunting magical opponents is not within my duties and I should leave it to the church and the mages at Archor. They haven't been doing a very good job.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Verenas of Talrimas

Ah yes, my successor on the military council. The lad is good at what he does no doubts about that, and he also seeks to ensure the protection of Lady de Wulfe as I do there is no quarrel there. But I am constantly reminded of the way I had command cut out from under me, and was unceremoniously shuttled off to the capitol away from the front lines for an early retirement, like it was meant to be a reward. I don't know who exactly made that happen, but let's just say I have my suspicions of who benefited the most from it.

Yami Fenrir posted:

I do not trust Aristocrats, and I especially do not trust this man. I like to keep myself away from courtly intrigues for my own personal safety more than anything else. After all, a battlefield has rules of what you can and can't do to a defeated opponent, but there are no rules in the cloak and dagger world of noble politics other than the old fashioned adage of 'Don't get caught'. And Ludwig is very good at that game.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Pope Sahalnir XI
Lord Commander Viktor Von Voss, the Pope specifically asked for your assistance in a delicate matter. What was it, and did you end up accepting his request?

A few months back when our initial push into the Red Vale was under way, I had received specific orders from his holiness to come to the aid of a mission bastion that had come under siege by hostile forces, he said that his attempts to get the King and his military council to aid them had failed and he was asking me personally for help. I saw no reason to not come to the aid of these people, for although I had merely disliked the man at the time, I did not hate him enough that I would callously let people under his command die to just spite him, and this was a minor matter in the grand scheme of things. So I rode out at the head of a small relief force (Quietly, this wasn't entirely official after all) to dispatch the rebels assaulting the bastion, and relieve the garrison.

When this was done I had entered the Bastion willingly in order to ensure that all souls indoors were safe and secure, and all was well, and then I went through a door I wasn't supposed to go through. I will not recount what exactly I had found within that dark little room but I knew at that very moment, that because of how I had handled this I would never be recount able that tale to anyone else, without proving that I had grossly broke military orders. I had been tricked into preventing a dark secret from being exposed and I was bloody furious about it, believe me.

But I will tell you this. I will not see what I found within those walls get repeated anywhere on sovereign Sevvran territory any time soon.

There are some things a man is not meant to see.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 10, 2016

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I've added and tweaked my app at least out of drafting stage with it now.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

( Please don't be offended by these, these are IN-CHARACTER opinions as requested.)

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe reads a list of "notable people" given to her by one of the subordinates.

quote:

Ah, yes. The only dragon with a brain. How lovely. Actually, who am I kidding. He's just as idiotic of the rest. They don't understand the simplest things. They think themselves the greatest of all beings, fit to do as they please.

But that's not how the world works. The strong rule, that is the only truth. Dragons may be strong, yes. But they are not invincible. They have not grasped this concept for ages, and apart from this one, still don't.

And yet, in a way, in despise this one more than the rest. He think he's smart. I say, he's a coward. If he has anything against me, he can meet me in battle. Victory shall be proof of who's right.

quote:

Kiris-Or

Oh, the birdman. Yeah, I've heard about him. Quite the strange one. A spymaster, but still has a righteous heart. Interesting. Perhaps he can be persuaded to use his talents in a more productive way, by my side.

quote:

Samarah Ka Qismah

It's impossible not to have heard of this goddamn lunatic. Claims to be a prophet of a god or another. Whatever. She's Vale scum and a sorceress both - and I can't stand either. Maybe the Pope can do one good thing in his goddamn lifetime and get rid of these stupid heathens. I'd even send him a thank-you gift for it!

quote:

If one needs a reason to hate mages, one really only needs to look no further than this abominable being. Creating unnatural abominations first, twisting their very spirits to his despicable will. If this menace to society ever shows his ugly face in Ark's Landing, I am personally going to step out of the castle, plant my sword firmly in his skull, and then dump his remains in the nearest volcano.

Only way to be sure with these kind of monsters.

quote:

Sasha Snowdrake

Hey, isn't that the ogre that Petra --

Yeah, it is! Huh. Interesting. And she's brought her mercenary band with her, as well. Certainly could use the additional manpower. Set aside her usual wage, will you?

Better be up for a fight or two. By the heavens if I sit in this stupid throne for a few days longer I may just turn into stone.

quote:

Lavelle Ingernassa

"... Who?"

She gets shown a Wanted poster of the so called"High Sorceress"

"Is that a self-styled title? Never heard of a "High Sorceress" ever since we put the previous one six feet under. Has to be some sort of delusional sob."

I mean, why would you wear armor if you're going to give the enemy targets like that...

Those sure are some gigantic... targets, though...

quote:

Count Edvard Marcel Borde

Wait, why is Count Borde on this list?

Yeah of course I am aware orcs are attacking. It's impossible to miss, you fool. In case you missed it, we don't have any soldiers to spare, just send more letters towards the surrounding nobles, maybe one of them will get the hint this time.

I really wish I could just stab these stuck-up, idiotic morons that call-

What? I said nothing.

quote:

de Wulfe looks up from the paper in disbelief, giving the aide a stare that freezes him in place from fear.

"Okay. I know I said I wanted reports on these people to familiarize myself with them. But did you perhaps consider..."

De Wulfe throws a nearby candelabra at the aide.

"THAT I KNOW VON VOSS ALREADY? I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING SIDE BY SIDE WITH HIM FOR MORE LONGER THAN YOU HAVE BEEN ALIVE!"

quote:

The Prince of Pigeons

De Wulfe returns to the paper.

"That's a rumor. Do I seriously look like I have time to investigate rumors? DO I!?"

quote:

Kurt Hissin

"... okay. It's fine. It's fine. He may have not known about the fact that I championed the battle against Hissin." de Wulfe mutters to herself as she goes down the list.

Still around, still trying to cause trouble eh? He'll make an mistake soon enough.

quote:

Sudden Clarity

Okay, we're going back on track. This one, I wasn't aware of. A monk, huh? Curious that they'd decide to actually do something. Seemed to be pretty content just sitting around in their temples. But really, I got bigger things to worry about than a random monk.

quote:

Leona Sevvran

"GET. OUT." de Wulfe screams at the aide, who runs out of the room fast enough to keep pace with most horses.

Leona, please... for the sake of my sanity, find SOME loophole giving you legitimacy already. Get me off this throne. I am going insane. I am going insane, being surrounded by these idiots, while the whole bloody kingdom plots against me.

Please give me an excuse to go hunt down most of the people on this list and stab them in the throat already. Then we'd just be done with it already.

quote:

"... wait, you're serious. This is a thing. This is a thing people pay money to watch." de Wulfe confirms with the aide that replaced the fleeing one.

*sigh*

"Hire Snowdrake. Tell her to bash it really hard and make sure it stays down. Preferably by throwing it into a volcano."

quote:

Hiring him certainly was a genius move by the late King. Of course, the one person to know all these tricks to avoid taxes would be a criminal. Let's just hope he doesn't get too greedy, or uppity. Would be a shame if someone of his talent had to meet the business end of a blade.

quote:

... I feel we could use the food that is shoveled into this lizards mouth towards more productive goals. Like feeding hungry mouths. Or selling it. Or compost. I cannot imagine what went through the hero king's head when he suffered this beast to live.

quote:

Anathema

Wait, wait wait. "Are we doing HISTORY LESSONS now?" she asks the aide, irritatedly.

"Wait, you're saying that reports keep cropping up? ... sigh. Alright, put SOMEONE on that. Better show some actual results."

quote:

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin

"Wait, who?" Some steppe lord? Wait, it says here he has the kings permit to --

This doesn't make any sense. This is a trick, right? A jest. Surely no sane person would give some random steppe tribe leaders the same permissions of a --

She gets handed the papers. She merely facepalms in response.

quote:

"Oh, that thing got uppity? Sure, whatever. Send a man or three with hammers to bash it's stupid head in."

No idea why they kept that abomination around, anyway. Some weird sense of pride?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 10, 2016

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Rewrote and combined my qualities, I have a stabby and taxy quality, and a talky and knowy one too. I'll put together IC reactions to the other PCs and NPCs in a bit its uh, quite the list.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
The Snake.

House Urios is not the sort of nobility that makes friends with its peers. Treacherous to a fault and possessing loyalty only to its goals, it is considered common sense amongst those in power to keep the house at an arms reach from your own.

And yet I reached out to Ludwig all the same.

Despite the unease that surrounds his heritage, he has managed to build up a reputation of no-nonsense efficiently in the execution of his plots. And when the time came to progress with my own scheming, I could think of no better man to help.

The request was simple: Arms, food, and gold. A simple relief package for a province under siege. I chose Ludwig out of all my possible options not because he was the best choice to deliver this request, but because I knew he would not ask questions of it. He would simply deliver and depart, never staying to discover the fel dealings that had made such supplies unnecessary.

And although I did not have faith that he would come through, his response was both prompt and complete. The materials were delivered, my cover was kept, and we went our separate ways.

That is not to say that it would be the last I consider his services. His help was so eagerly given, without any mention of repayment or services owed, that one could almost suspect that he has did it out of altruistic motives. But there is a part of me that believe he knew far more about Niloufar's dealings than he let on. And if such aid was rendered with full knowledge of my intentions....

Ah, but perhaps I have just become paranoid as of late. After all, the man may know a great deal of secrets, but information does not travel from Niloufar with any sort of ease. How could he have possibly known what profanity I had unleashed on this earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
The memoirs of Basilissa Anathema of Blomstregård, King and Queen of the East and the West, Storhertuginde of the North, Archon of the Great Southern Sea, Imperator of the Pioneer Legion and Exulted Potentate of the Paramountcy. Written in Old High Dominion in script closer to calligraphy than conventional handwriting. Those who could read it numbered less than a dozen in the known world, and those who were native and fluent numbering fewer than half that figure.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Anathema, you remember this specific type of blood magic. Even a woman of ambition as great as yours refused to use it. What makes it so dangerous, and do you intend to do anything about it?

"The Paramount Dominion did not call it blood magic. 'Blood magic' makes it sound very dark and terribly mysterious and horribly dangerous, when this magic is in reality as easily understood as any other branch of magic. In the Paramountcy, we called it phlebotomancy.

Now, you won't see many people cower in fear at the name of phlebotomy will you? And that little fact is exactly the reason why it needs to be called so. I went so far as to make it official policy throughout the Dominion. You see, the kind of person who turns to phlebotomancy is the kind of person to use fear as a weapon. Cowards and thugs preying on the weak. And those kinds of people need to have that weapon of fear blunted at every turn.

I am not a scholar of the arcane myself, so please forgive my explanation if it is somewhat elementary. But magic is like any other mode of force in the world, it is an action which requires energy. Fuel, if you will. If we move our bodies, our bodies need fuel. If we manipulate magic, that magic also requires fuel. Normally, as I understand it, casting a spell draws needed fuel from the aether. Just as a windmill draws upon the wind for fuel, magic can be fuelled by spirits, the elements, energy in the land, or even I have heard the hopes and dreams of little children.

Phlebotomancy is no different, except that it draws fuel from people. Burning through them like coals and casting aside the cinders. Some draw parallels with ticks or leeches, but even a tick only drinks as much as it can carry and then leaves the host alone. A phlebotomancer is more akin to a parasite, infecting the innocent and eating away at them to get stronger and stronger until the host dies in agony. Then happily moving on to their next victim.

This particular kind of magic is also a horribly inefficient process. It requires exponential amounts of energy to sustain itself and the practitioner. For a lone wizard committing greater and greater acts of murder perhaps this is achievable in some fashion, but on any sort of grander scale massacres would have to be undertaken on a daily basis. Sheer practical considerations prevent phlebotomancy from being legitimate before we even get to the moral issues surrounding it.

I do not consider myself a censor. People should be free to do with their lives what they like. But when that liberty infringes on the rights of others, that is where the authorities must step in to protect the people. In the name of the common good, certain conditions must apply to the social contract. I halted unfettered hunting and fishing to protect animal stocks. I refused to allow the primitive orcs from being subject to a pogrom. And I did not allow phlebotomancy to be practised with sentient blood.

Clearly, this is an edict lost to time. And one that I intend to enforce once again. By my own hand if need be. If little horrors such as this Amporus cannot be ended, then how am I to tend to the greater horrors yet to come?"

• Locked thread