Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

berenzen posted:

Completely overhauled my app.

The new flaw works a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Lavelle's Journal

Yami Fenrir posted:

Ludwig of Urios, the Snake

Lavelle Ingernassa, what makes you think that this man has it out for you? What do you think his motives are?

House Urios, a name synonymous with ruthless efficiency and a nearly impenetrable cloak of secrecy. There are rumors about them, no doubt - even to the point of there being two Ludwigs! I hardly believe such rumors - I suspect they were planted by Ludwig and his agents to enhance the house's mystique.

The Urios have more than mystique - they have resources. Their extensive holdings of land outstrip all the other noble houses, and come right up to the border of Archea. The most recent Governor imposed on us came from a minor branch of the Urios family, until she was reassigned to a better, more lucrative post in Ark's Landing. I doubt our attempt on her life even registered with Ludwig - we were disguised as bandits, after all.

No, Ludwig should be much more concerned about his trade franchises. What could be more lucrative than a heavily regulated, hard to get item? For more than a century, House Urios has held the exclusive supply contract for magical items into Alcor, which means they are the only (legitimate) buyer of the crystals Archeans work so hard to mine. Their ability to create false papers and records even gives them a strong role in the black market. The Urios cartel manipulates prices and reaps enormous profits from the sweat and blood of Archean labor. Losing their most lucrative venture would leave them quite exposed. I have no doubt Ludwig's agents seek us out, even now. I will have to remove him before he does the same to me.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
The Hidden King

The time draws near. Sevven has shown her weakness, Leopold IV's conquering army causing her to overextend to the breaking point. The cracks are showing, and I am not the only player that seeks to see her asunder, whether for personal gain or any other noble or ignoble purpose. My own position relies on my peoples tenacity, and my ability to coordinate my wide spread forces battles. In any up fight with the full force of Sevvan we would be crushed, but if we light enough fire their nation shall crumble before they put out the flame of my rebellion. And to light to the flame I must seek others out, make deals and alliances. Strike down my enemies and rewards my friends. For once Sevvan is in ruin and they busy themselves like carrion birds on its corpse, Hissin shall stand tall among the ashes, already strong and well secured.

But I get ahead of myself. For now that is but a distant future. Hard work is what will take me there.

Glaumdrang Wealth-Checker is a dragon and a dragon's greed is well known. He's upheld their banking and financial institutions for longer than Hissin has been around. How would he react should Sevven fall? Likely he'd simply take what he could for his hoard. And if he could be convinced to help it fall, well the more gold for him. However I'm not sure what to make of Prince Orignoxfes, Elder Dragon. The old worm hasn't been very active from what I can tell and he already has his own little gnome fiefdom. I'm not quite sure what I could do to tempt him to help in all the instability.

There are also those who I might outright to aid in my fight. Kiris-Or would make an excellent spymaster among my forces. I'm sure with his skill and my abilities there would be no secret left to hide from us. The only question being if I could trust him. Sasha Snowdrake meanwhile is quite brash and prone to fighting, but her soldiers would form a valuable backbone to my army. I definitely have the coin to afford her, but would she even accept my offer in the first place?

Next hmm....there are always the religious. I find myself of no faith particularly but I do know how it can grip a man, hold his mind in thrall and allow him to do the most unspeakable things with clear conscience. Samarah Ka Qismah can rally people to her cause, but doesn't have much in the way of resources nor powerbase as I have heard. Offers of gold, safehouses, and support could turn her cause into a thorn in Sevven's side. Meanwhile Sudden Clarity and her monks will be a thorn in my side. The usually peaceful order has decided to throw in with Sevvan. They...are not to be underestimated.

Hissin was the not only kingdom conquered. Nor am I the only noble who might be fighting against Sevven. Lavelle Ingernassa wields power most potent in the form of sorcery, and many would do well to stay on her good side. So I shall give her no cause for trouble. Indeed, we should time our efforts to rise up together. The more fires, the harder it will be fore Sevven to fight them. I believe I could trust her. Can the same be said of Count Edvard Marcel Borde, Lord of Niloufar? What power did he gain to finally make headway against the orcs attacking his lands? I have found nothing concrete, yet when I sweep my mental gaze his way I see...a strange, unsettling taint. I know not what deals he's made or what he might of sacrificed. A useful catspaw, nothing more. And lastly, Leona Sevvran. I met her once at a party, before the old king died. We may of been better off had she assumed the throne, and likely she now thinks the same. Of course she would not take kindly to any plans to destroy Sevvan, but she need not know that.

While many stand against Sevvan, some are just as bad, or unknown to me. I can not trust them, but I might use them. And hope to not burn myself in the process. Anathema, the ancient tyrant has been seen again. Said to have gilded tongue, I might treat with her but must steel my will. The hordes of Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin, the "peacekeepers". Enticing them to strike Sevvan should pose no problem, provided I can show them the bait. Getting them to leave again is a whole other matter. Thanda and his undying lot...well I'm not quite sure of their motivation. But they gear themselves for war and so must be counted in on the fighting. I have heard tales of Amerigo Hieronymus and his greed. I believe he needs no help from me to start picking the carcass of Sevvan as she falls. Marvelous Magnus's Magic Sword remains a fairy tale as far as I can tell. The thought of such a weapon does entice me. Artur “The Sculptor” Regios? Never heard of him. Lord Commander Viktor Von Voss shall remain a shield of Sevvan, no matter what I do. But he will fall in the fighting to come, this I swear. Finally The Prince of Pigeons remains an unknown character to me. But I have had chance to see the mind of one of his agents, and saw the signs of a gift not unlike my own. I know no more than that about him however.

---

As for the other major players....

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe...the cause of my fathers death. In his dying moments he told me how his attackers in the palace had made use of the secret passages. Our two kingdom had had many parties to celebrate our trade and peace, and it was no secret my father and Lady Beatrice de Wulfe would often be together. It was rumored they were lovers. Some even said she was my mother, from my father's old adventuring days. Whatever the case, she'll have no love from me. Just death.

Petra Asfaran, the Wolf's Pup would be the perfect catspaw against her former mentor. Her death would be all the sweeter at the hands of her former pupil.

Pope Sahalnir XI has created a division in Sevvan and one I'd love to exploit. The man is no fool though, to have gotten where he has gotten and survived. I must take care.

The Windspeaker is an enigma. But I might make use of her, if just as a bargaining chip with the pope.

Lucius is not a man I would trust. He tried to find me once. Whether to kill me or offer his services I don't know, nor would I take the chance. My agent made him aware of my awareness and he simply left.

Amporus, Heresy Incarnate...I swore vengance, but would I go so far as to try and use this man? He's more likely to feast on my struggling kingdom than strike Sevvan.

Verenas of Talrimas, one more roadblock on the path of Sevvan's destruction. But a powerful one. He will bleed like the rest of them.

Ludwig of Urios, the Snake could prove useful. But never a man I could trust.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Glaumdrang

A dragon. More trouble than he's worth really, and he is certainly worth a lot. Still, it is not like he is actively attempting to overthrow the kingdom yet. Throw him a gold coin here and there, and it'll keep him happy. Simple pleasures and all that.

Kiris-or

It's hard to trust a spy-master, and this one is no different. Reports are saying that he is fairly compassionate for one, however. Even still, I will keep him at arms length until I know that I can trust him

Samarah Ka'Qismah

She says she can speak to her god. But there are many things out there that can do that. She is a zealot, and that zealotry will likely see her killed. If she is like any other religion, she will likely want to see me dead as well.

Artur Regios

An abomination that needs to be stopped. Why hasn't someone put a crossbow bolt through his head yet?

Sasha Snowdrake

Good fighter, loyal to money as well. Honestly, I feel a slight kinship. A warrior at heart, she's straight to the point and cuts no bullshit. She's a little too bloodthirsty however. She has not yet learned that combat should be a warrior's last resort.

Beatrice de Wolfe

I'd like her if she didn't hate me so much. That marks the third time this year that she's tried to kill me. Though I really don't know if her heart is actually in it to kill me. I've told her on multiple occasions that if she wants to kill me, to give me the honour of a good fight and come do it herself. She still hasn't taken me up on the offer. That being said, Leopold IV could have done a hell of a lot worse when picking a regent for the throne. It is obvious that she doesn't want it, and that makes her more qualified than a good deal rest of the court for the job.

Pope Sahalnir IX

This man needs to die, and quickly. He has a vehement hatred that poisons the populace against anything not 'pure'. The problem is that if he gets assassinated, he'll be put up as a martyr, and there will only be more non-human blood shed. His ministrations have turned the populace against the Undying, and now there are priests that actually believe that we are demons. Ridding the realm of his influence will be even more difficult.

Lavelle Ingernassa

This woman would be a problem if she wasn't so caught up in her own illusions. Still, she poses a possible threat, and should she get her freedom she could cause another Cataclysm. If she get's too powerful, I'll kill her myself.

Edvard Marcel Borde

The ends do not justify the means. Particularly these means, despite those ends. I sincerely hope that the orcish bands wipe his county off the map. He is fooling himself, thinking that he is in power. He kingdom needs to be purged, lest his demons spread across the world.

Viktor Von Voss

A damned good fighter. The Bear is one of the few truely good people in the court. I trust him to make sure that he does the right thing. He has honour, and that doesn't make him weak, but strong. If we lose him, then the kingdom will be lost.

Prince of Pigeons

A rumour as far as I am aware. But if he does exist, then like I said about Kiris-Or, he cannot be trusted. Doubly so, for nobody knows what his motivations are.

Kurt Hissin

He hurts, that is entirely understandable. However, he threatens to break apart a tenouous peace, he needs to temper his vengenace and realize that his actions will hurt his nation far more than anything than has already happened to it. If he triggers civil war, then even more death will come to his people.

Sudden Clarity

A monk that came out of nowhere, I do not know much about her, but she tells of a coming tempest. I am not yet sure what to make of her, but I believe that she could be a great ally, or a great enemy.

Leona Sevvran

This woman would be a better leader than her half-brother. But her desires of the flesh will be her undoing. She has a strong force of personality, whether she uses it for good or ill shall be seen, but her influence in court has only grown since she started mingling within the different court circle. She just needs to find some sort of legitimacy in order for the rest of the populace to accept her as queen. She will likely not be as much of a warmonger than her brother.

Magnus' Magic Sword

This... thing needs to be destroyed. It is a thing of fighting, and nothing else and it does not know anything else. Why the populace loves it is beyond me, but perhaps it is their barbaric enjoyment of voyeuristic combat. Either way, it is a cheap parlour trick at best, and an abomination at it's worst.

Amerigo Hieronymous

The Gentleman Bandit, he is useful for now I suppose. Money is the ultimate thing that speaks to this land, and Hieronymous is no exception. I hope that Beatrice realizes that before she stops paying this man. Leopold brought him to the side of law, but he could just as easily run off and take up his old business again. He'd be triply hard to catch as well, considering he was the man that set up all the laws and he knows how to loophole his way around them.

Orignoxfes

Thank the sands for the laziness of Dragons. If this one were to actually attempt to exert itself, it would be a problem. Right now, it's a distant threat in a land full of far more extant threats.

Anathema

If this woman is actually who she claims she is, then that is interesting. Nazir built upon much of the libraries from the Paramountcy, and took it further. The knowledge of making laceglass and other marvels came from the knowledge found there. If she is what she says she is, then there is a problem in that she was a tyrant. Whether history lies or not, we will have to see, but until she proves otherwise, I have to treat her like the threat that she is.

The Windspeaker

A long travel for someone if she comes from where she claims. I do not know enough about her to make a proper judgement. The church hates her, which is enough to like her, but what she is like with her magic is will show her true character.

The Wolf's Pup

A competent warrior, that much is certain. Her relationship with the Regent is like that of a rebelling daughter begging for attention from a busy mother. Perhaps the Lady Regent has an heir that we do not know about?

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin

So long as he keeps to the steppes, I do not think he will be an issue. The king gave him a writ to deal with the law out in the steppes, and as long as he continues with that, I have little issue with him.

Lucius

An assassin, he had his uses for the king, but now he goes more mere coin. Absolutely cannot be trusted, yet with enough coin can be persuaded to remove certain problems. Keep a close eye out for this one, if at all possible.

Amporus

The man must die, I may petition Von Voss to marshall the Undying to hunt him down, I'd do it anyway but marching fifty thousand soldiers through the lands would likely send up alarm bells. He is a great threat, a mage that never understood the idea of temperance. He needs to be eliminated, and quickly.

Verenas

A compentent leader, and a possiblility for the throne. He has the charisma, and the knowledge of tactics to lead. However, I have not seen how willing he is to jump to arms to solve a problem, so exactly what I feel about him is unknown just as yet.

Ludwig

The Snake is right. The man is shrewd and cunning. How he has not managed to divest his family of their lands so far is yet unknown. He will be a major power player in the upcoming civil war, his statement of non-involvement has only telegraphed that all the more.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Sasha Snowdrake

Sufficiently buzzed after her dinner to continue work on her report, Sasha reached for the little note.

berenzen posted:

Thanda, Dervish of the Desolate Wastes

"Oi, I know o' these folk. And every time they become the topic o' discussion in an inn or tavern or wherever we are choosin' ta get wasted (and lemme tell you that includes a whole lot o' places HAH), the thing the continentals always like ta do is claim 'Ey those sand demons are sooo terrible don't ya agree? Ogres hate magic right?'. And the thing I always like ta do is slap 'em around a bit fer their idiocy. See it ain't the magicalnes o' a thing or person that is bad, it's the COWARDICE of usin' such a fickle an' dangerous thing fer your own ends 'cause yer too weak to hold yer own via honourable means. An' as far as I'm concerned these desert folk know that better than anyone else, what with their history an' all. Whenever I've dealt with 'em, they've conducted themselves like proper warriors, and that's enough fer me, my crew, or any ogre worth their salt, regardless o' whether they are magic-touched or not. A bit too taciturn tho, they could use loosin' up a bit ya know?"

"But yeh, this renowned warrior o' theirs, I'm sorta interested in meetin' 'im. Just to see what he's got if not fer any loftier reason."

wrassle

Sasha spits.

"An assassin, the posterboy fer courtly fightin' an' one of tha chief reasons nobles earn nothin' but sneers from ogres most o' the time. Like that birdman I was talkin' 'bout earlier, except with none o' the good traits and with all the bad ones made a hundred times worse. Ye, if I ever meet 'im we'll get ta see how well 'is sneakery an' cowardice hold up against a club to tha face."

Kill.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Amporus, Heresy Incarnate

"Urgh, a villain deservin' the same treatment like that other mage. Some say there's difference between their methods, but it's basically tha same ta me: One twists flesh, one feeds on it. Both bring nothin' but corruption an' death and deserve nothin' but be summarily killed and forgotten."

Kill.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Verenas of Talrimas

"Don't know much 'bout this guy, other than tha he is some lead strategizer or somesuch. Wonder if he can fight 'imself tho, a leader o' soldiers can scarcely be called such if he can't handle 'is own in a tussle. Not all o' the continental leaders can, they're a bit weird like that."

"But I suppose 'is gold is as good as anyone else's. Also has a cute pet serpent, which is a plus!"

work/wrassle

Yami Fenrir posted:

"Oi, remember how I said tha assassin was one o' the chief reasons fer us ogres lookin' down on nobles, and to some degree on tha continental way o' life in general? Ye, this guy right 'ere is one o' the other reasons. I mean, guy is obviously evil and connivin' but nothin' is done 'cause he can point to some stupid ol' passage in some rulebook? Well I can say if such a guy were ta come to tha Archipelago, we ogres would immediately see that the rulebook is obviously not workin' as intended and beat him up anyway. Such sticklers ta rules the continentals are, even when they are obviously dumb rules. Right bizarre it is."

beat up

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Grand Inquisitor Karl Vondevan

"Remember, my brothers and sisters, Sevvran is in danger. What preserves the state is our faith, the teachings of the saints and our most Holy Pope, and our trust in the traditions given to us by the Church and Vallensius. And we are under attack from within. Rogue sorcerers emulate the sins of Billam, defying Vallensius himself. Heretics call the traditions of the faith into question, and create their own false doctrine. Foreigners seek to seduce the people to their false Vallensius. The faith of Sevvran is assailed from all sides, and it is up to you to defend that faith; no, more! It is to you, my brothers and sisters, to make of our faith a sword! We must take the field against those enemies of the Church, wherever they may be. Those deluded and naive, we will win back to righteousness, but those who persist in their unbelief; those who, seeing the truth, choose to deny it, shall have their souls purified in the flames of truth, so that their suffering in this life may help spare them in the next. It is our duty, brothers and sisters, and even more your privilege. Think of how much Vallensius loves man, to chastise him when he falls off the true path of holiness, and take comfort that we are the instrument of the divine and holy love."

Karl Vondevan never knew his father. All his mother would say about him was that he was a good man and a holy man, and Karl knew, even from a young man, that further questions wouldn't get any answer. All asking did was make his mother sad, and there was nothing he feared more than and nothing that made him more miserable than her sadness. It didn't stop him from wondering, though, and sometimes he would sit and watch her, secretly, as she would stare over the horizon, towards the capital, a distant look in her eye. He hated to see his mother sad.

It was just the two of them, but they weren't too unhappy. After all, they had each other. Karl learned to read from an old battered copy of the Lives of the Saints that his mother had. She'd read the words to him while he sat on her lap, fascinated by the stories of the men and the women who had given so much for their faith and the miracles that they performed. Sometimes he imagined himself as St. Leopold, who founded Sevvran, unifying the warring tribes and rescuing the Pope, or St. Mivlia, who, with nothing more than a voice of command and an outstretched hand, stopped the Elvish barbarian. Or of Esgar, the Martyr, who went north to convert the barbarians, only to be boiled in oil after attempts to hang him and behead him failed. These and the rest of the saints supported him, and built him up, let him ignore the cries of "bastard" and made him think about the plans that Vallensius had for him.

It was maybe inevitable, then, that Karl would join the Church. The Church and his mother were the only two things he loved and who loved him. Besides, what other opportunities were there for someone without a father? The Church didn't care who your parents were, or your background. Oh, that mattered, of course. If you were from money or a noble family, even if you weren't particularly competent, you could get a decent position. But even a poor boy, if he had ability and faith, could have a career in the Church. The practical aspects of this didn't fit in the ten year old Karl's considerations, of course. All he knew was that he loved Vallensius and wanted to serve Him. So, he set off on the road, his mother standing in the door watching, her eyes filling with secret tears, asking quietly of herself how much more the Church was going to take from her. He walked on the road four days to the nearest monastery and gave himself up as an acolyte.

Karl's career through the Church went fast. His faith, his intelligence, and his likability endeared him to his superiors. Thus, perhaps it was no surprise that, at a relatively young age, he found himself on the staff of the Pope himself. He made himself invaluable to the pope, who became protective of him. Karl, meanwhile, saw Sahalnir XI as the father he never knew, and did whatever he could to win the older man's approval. Such loyalty was rewarded, and Karl developed power and influence.

The Inquisition had existed in Sevvran for centuries, but had, traditionally, had limited authority. It could investigate ecclesiastical crimes, like heresy and sorcery, but didn't have any enforcement capabilities. They would have to turn over their evidence to secular authorities, and allow the King's Justices to prosecute and punish. This was a thing the Church disapproved of thoroughly, as secular authorities were often slow in their response to the complaints and not very familiar or even particularly interested in Church law and doctrine; defects that made successful punishment of heretics and sorcerers difficult. However, when Leopold III died, and Leopold IV took the throne, Sahalnir XI saw the opportunity to change this. Leopold IV was young, and was seeking support for his military campaigns. The pope was glad to give him that support, but in exchange, Leopold had to agree to untie the hands of the Inquisition. It was expanded and given its own enforcement powers. From now on, all trials would be before ecclesiastical or Inquisitorial courts and the Church was given the same rights to impose corporal and capital punishment on offenders. Additionally, Sahalnir got the commitment of Leopold that, everywhere Leopold's armies would go, Sahalnir's missionaries and inquisitors would follow, to convert the pagans in the new land, peacefully if possible, but by force if necessary. To command the new Inquisition, the Pope picked Karl, already a trusted advisor, and sent him to command this, now very powerful, arm of the Church.

Nobody Expects the Sevvran Inquisition +4 The Inquisition has eyes almost everywhere. It is the duty of sinners to confess their sins, and the duty of the faithful to report those suspected of heresy and sorcery, and the only appeals from the decisions of the Inquisition are to the Pope or the King. Karl has the theoretical power, at least, to order the arrest of anyone he suspects of sorcery or heresy, question them until he is sure of their guilt or innocence, and then punish the guilty. There are practical limitations to this, of course; the Inquisition is hardly the only power within the Church, and the Church is hardly the only power within Sevvran, and so, at least in the Sevvran homeland, is restrained in the use of its power. Accusations that the Inquisition is acting arbitrarily or overly harshly in recently conquered territories like Hissin or the Red Vale are merely rumors, and not substantiated. If you have evidence this sort of thing is occurring, Karl would dearly like to know it, as he firmly believes its the responsibility of the Inquisition not to abuse the power its given. Of course, if these are just rumors, well, Karl would remind you that it's a sin to spread lies and slander against the Church, and sins are punished now.

Charismatic +2 Karl is, when it comes to matters outside of the parameters of his faith, easygoing and tolerant, eager to hear and take into account the opinions of others. He's self-depreciating and witty, he's a good listener, and has an easy smile and endearing personality. If he sets his mind to charm you, he will, and he's able to rationally and convincingly explain why he believes what he believes. He's a good mimic and a hit at parties.

The Traditions of the Faith +2 Karl has been trained in the scholastic traditions of the Church. He is trained in languages, both church and civil law, rhetoric, science, mathematics, music, poetry and drama, politics, theology and philosophy, and has access to libraries and scholars.

The Purity of his Faith -2 Good does not compromise with evil, or light with darkness. Karl won't compromise his faith or willingly ally with someone evil unless they're truly willing to repent. When it comes to matters of faith, he's willing to accept that some of his opponents aren't necessarily evil....some might merely be deluded or ignorant, but he'll never come to accept their views as valid or believe that society should tolerate their holding them.

The Temple City of Vallen's Rest

On Mt. Vallen, where Vallensius ascended into heaven, there sits the city of Vallen's Rest, dominated by the Great Temple of Vallensius and the shrines dedicated to the God and his saints. This is the holiest place in the Sevvran religion and the home of the Sevvran Church. Here is the Papal Court, and it is from Vallen's Rest that the Church rules over the Temple Lands; those lands given to the Church by Kings, nobles, and common landholders alike. The city has grown wealthy, both from the money pilgrims bring, and control over the iron mines the Church controls near the city, and the Church has used this wealth both to build great temples to Vallensius and also to fund its charitable and educational efforts. All the money the church uses to feed the hungry, nurse the sick, clothe the naked, educate the ignorant and pray for the souls of the people come in from the Temple Lands and flow through Vallen's Rest before reaching their final destination.

Vallensius's Heaven on Earth +2 Vallen's Rest is a wealthy city, made so by the money from pilgrimages and the iron mines. Between the wealth that comes into the city and the charity provided by the Church, actual want is rare, and even the poor are sheltered and fed. The city is known for its public squares and works of art, as wealthy patrons seek to outdo each other in commissioning places of rest and beauty.

Home of Faith and Knowledge +2 Vallen's Rest is the home of the Great Temple of Vallensius along with the Church administration. It is the home of the Vallensian Library, which claims to have a copy of every book ever written in Sevvran and the great University, run by the church, where law, theology, and medicine are taught.

A Place of Peace -2 Vallen's Rest is almost entirely undefended. Oh, it has a city watch, which polices the city...protecting the pilgrims and keeping crime under control, but the city has been at peace for so long, and there's such a strong taboo against violence against church lands, that the area has no martial tradition and would be dependent on help from elsewhere should it be threatened.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 11, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

quote:

Glaumdrang Wealth-Checker
Where I to be in charge, I would want to have the power over the banks and wealth of the nation directly in hand, but seeing as how my ancestors squandered their wealth and were so quick to indebt themselves to the Dragon... This might be for the best. He cetainly keeps a stable currency and is quite free to insure the court is always flowing with fine goods. Where I to be in charge of the kingdom, provided Glamdrang continues as he has for the rest of his life, I would be happy to leave things be with him.

Goes without saying, no.

quote:

Kiris-Or
Dangerous. If his prowess at spying are anywhere near what the whispers say, he undoubtedly knows about my *ahem* activities. But given that at best they remain rumors at court, and no word of priestly complaints have taken shape, he doesn't appear to be spreading them. Is he sitting on them for blackmail? He needs careful watching, but making friends with him might be worthwhile, to keep my secrets secret. A danger, but potential ally.

No.

quote:

Samarah Ka Qismah

A Prophet for a Heathen God, speaking of a true Queen and putting on displays of that God's might... If she manages to stir up a rebellion supporting her false queen and overthrows the Sevvran line, I'll be in as much of a risk as the King. And if her god truly has power, what does that mean for the Vallensian faith? I've worshiped all my life, along with the rest of the kingdom, but I've never seen or heard as much as a whisper from Vallensius, and my so called sins have gone unpunished. A troubling question. Despite the danger, I would like a chance to meet with this Prophet, especially if the rumors of her beauty are true...

Yes!

quote:

Artur “The Sculptor” Regios

Its easy to see why magic is so feared and hated with people like this running around! Having a powerful mage in my employ would be wonderful, but you could hardly trust someone like this.

NOPE.

quote:

Sasha Snowdrake

I might not like her looks, but I like her style! She and her gang want the finer things in life, just like me, though we might have some disagreements on what those finer things actually are. Even so, a mercenary commander with her reputation could prove quite useful to have in my hire, if things were to go... a certain direction.

...No.

quote:

Lavelle Ingernassa

Her people have suffered greatly under our rule. A suffering well deserved for their attacks originally, but generations later, it seems to me that kindness and a return of freedoms would make them surer allies and safer neighbor/vassals than further oppression. The High Sorceress herself, ah, what a beauty. I'm sure we would have lots to discuss... privately.

Oh yes.

quote:

Count Edvard Marcel Borde

Why have we neglected our vassals here for so long? Surely an army can be diverted from the expansion wars to protect our own people. Their new leader is impressive, apparently the first in years to make any progress in their struggle. He would be a valuable man to have nearby. And they saw he's rather handsome, though new rumors have been saying otherwise lately. What to believe?

Yes.

quote:

Lord Commander Viktor Von Voss

Honorable and loyal, and an excellent commander, I hope his loyalty is to the line and the kingdom, not to my dear brother. A valuable man to have.

Too Old.

quote:

The Prince of Pigeons

Who? Some Slumlord that collects information? Perhaps suitible gifts to this 'prince' and his subjects could win them over to me. It would be useful to hear what he does, and the existance of slums themselves is a disgrace to our Kingdom.

Gross, no.

quote:

Kurt Hissin

I remember him! He was very handsome, and now a King, though one who lost his kingdom. People say he's behind the increased raids and attacks? That's disapointing... I wonder if he'd stop if he was granted rule of the land back? As a vassal, obviously, but a vassal with such a high birth and access to the ear of the Princess Leona, or possibly Queen, would be well placed to advance his people's cause further than as a rebel.

Definitely.

quote:

Sudden Clarity

The body of a monk of the Order, lithe and sweaty and powerful. How I've dreamed of it, and one as beautiful as Sudden Clarity... A dream that'll never come to pass, most like. But imagine the benefits that would come with it, with the Order and the love of the people that comes with it, I would hardly need to even claim the throne, it'd be handed right over.

If only...

quote:

Marvelous Magnus's Magic Sword

'His', It's? fights are always a thrill to watch. It's a shame he/it is made of a sword, and has no body. Well even so, he's an excellent guest to have at parties.

You are joking right? He's a sword.

quote:

Amerigo Hieronymus

A valuable man to have around, he doesn't seem the sort to be particularly loyal to an old king if a new one has control.

Maybe when he was younger. A shame.

quote:

Prince Orignoxfes

Yeah, this guy can just keep on doing his own thing. Wouldn't have any issues if de Wulfe wanted to prove again why she earned her title.

Seriously? No.

quote:

Anathema

A monster, but an inspirational one. If one elf woman could conquer the world, surely I can claim a kingdom and bring it to rights. A pity her knowledge is lost to the world, how much I could have learned from her.

If she wasn't dead thousands of years, or fictional, yes please.

quote:

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin

The men of the steppes could prove useful in ones war efforts, but to bring so many savages into the kingdom would be a disaster. Lets hope their ruler keeps to his own lands. I don't think anything useful or especially nice comes out of there, so leaving them be costs us nothing.

No.

---------------------------

quote:

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe

I've always though de Wulfe would be the chief obstacle in the way of my ambitions, which is a crying shame. Her strength, skill and beauty would do my cause great benefit, and slaying her would be a grand and tragic waste. Of course her loyalty is the chief reason for her value, and why I can't see me being able to win it. Though not the one who taught me at first, since she took the regency, we've sparred often, and her instruction has been invaluable.

Yes.

quote:

Pope Sahalnir XI

The physical embodiment of Vallensius on earth, it's a good thing he's so old. Maybe the next Pope will be more tolerant and less trouble. Vallensius himself has had no quarrel with my behavior, so I see no reason why this wrinkled old man should take offence. Despite my belief in the faith, I do have to wonder if this man truly has any connection with the holy.

Vallensius above, no.

quote:

The Windspeaker

A bit of a mystery, but her powers would be useful. She appears to be one of the rare practitioners of magic who aren't horrifying in some way or another. And the pope doesn't like her, so that makes her alright in my book. Quite pretty too.

Definitely.

quote:

Lucius

I don't like the idea of Assassins, but their existence is just one of those parts of the world we have to deal with. This one was loyal to my father, perhaps I can win that back somehow? I'd feel far safer having him as a friend than a threat I need to worry about.

Yes.

quote:

This man needs to die. Again, an example of exactly why magic is so hated. But surely the Pope's ire should be focused on him, rather than Windspeaker.

No.

quote:

Verenas of Talrimas

Might be possible to win his support away from de Wulfe if I promise the military further power. But it could really do with having less power. A quagmire.

quote:

I don't like this man. Too much power, not enough activity. He's up to something, and if I end up on the throne, I'll have to do something about it.

No.

quote:

Petra Asfaran, the Wolf's Pup
Petra is (or was?) one of your closest friends from when you were little. However, you're kind of stuck with de Wulfe at the moment. What do you think of her sudden change of heart? Did it affect your friendship? If so, how?

Oh, we're still quite close. Aside from the usual friendship between you girls at Court, Petra was the only other one who shared my interest in the blade. Though she was trained by de Wulfe, and I rarely had lessons from her, we often spared together and trained together during our own time. And as any man could tell you, the bonds forged in the yard are some of the strongest you can make anywhere. We shared everything growing up, secrets and fears, we shared our first kiss, and later, we were each others first woman -though I think I'm the only woman she ever bedded - and our first man as well.

Though we share many of the same interests, and she's a frequent guest at my parties, she never developed quite the same appetite for luxury as me, and as her duties started to call her away, we've spent less time together, but the bond is no less for that. Unfortunately, in the weeks since her split with de Wulfe, I haven't had a chance for a private conversation with her, so I don't know the cause of it. Even so, since getting de Wulfe on my side is likely an empty dream, I can't say how pleased I am that I won't risk losing her friendship over the trouble that is undoubtedly to come between us. I'm sure she'll understand why I need her teacher's favor at the moment, since I'm under her protection.

Perhaps I should take her on as my own personal guard and sworn shield. Though my other visitors might make her a bit jealous if she wasn't included, and eating the same meal every night, even with different seasonings, gets rather dull...

[UNRELATED NOTE]: Renamed Royal Presence to Blood of Kings, added a small bit to the description.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 11, 2016

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Artur Regios

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe

It was good that the fool Leopold had left the Wolf upon the throne, right where she was most constrained and least able to exert her one true field of excellence. Her upright nature also ensured that the kingdom would continue to grow more and more fractured until it burned itself out. If the legends about her battlefield prowess were even half-correct she’d make excellent material, but it’d be better if someone else killed her first so that I would have one fewer obstacle when the time came for my blitz.

quote:

Pope Sahalnir XI

Sahalnir, the name is like ash in my mouth. As much as anyone else it was this man’s fault that I am in this situation. He is a most hated enemy, but for the moment out of reach. Of course his incessant infighting with the Wolf serves my purposes. One thing of interest was the failing health, would not the irony be too sweet if I could offer him renewed youth as an inroad to making the pontiff my loyal puppet. The man would almost certainly refuse, but it was something to keep in mind.

Yami Fenrir posted:

The Windspeaker

I don’t have time to worry about some visiting foreigner, no matter how much an idiot like Sahalnir might want her. I have a kingdom to undermine, and a conquest to plan.

quote:

Another strong fighter, she seems to have broken relations with her mentor, though the possibility exists that this may be a ploy, though that sort of political thinking seems to be outside the Wolf’s ken, otherwise she would not be so abominable at her current posting as Regent. So perhaps the mentee simply turned her back in a fit of pique, or perhaps she is the more politically adept of the pair. Either as opportunity or danger, she bears watching. It also goes without saying that she would make excellent raw material for a flesh-shaped warrior-thrall.

This man is dangerous, perhaps the greatest real threat to my plans. The last thing I want is to be ignobly assassinated before accomplishing anything. I will take the utmost precautions against this man’s work, but oh what I would not give to lay hands on him. He would become my finest weapon, an utterly invaluable piece of carrying out my plans. I can but dream and hope the opportunity presents itself.

quote:

Wanted dead by just about every ruler and religious figurehead on the entire continent, this man is a menace. Wielding the forbidden (and long thought forgotten, until the recent resurgence) power of blood magic, some people say every single step he takes, he leaves heresy and damnation in his wake.

And it might as well be true. His crimes not only include wielding forbidden magic, but also murder, soul binding, and grave desecration. Over the last decade, he has drained so many souls and so much blood that his power has become greater than most mortal mages.

Whatever his eldritch goals are, they have appeared to brought him to Sevvran…

Ah, my old friend. His return is what put me in this situation to begin with. We parted on perhaps not the best of terms. I can only hope he wanders back off before my blitz begins. At the very least he will draw eyes from me, for every asset in the church and the mage-haters will be drawn to him like a moth to a flame. Hopefully they will be too focused on him to notice my plans coming together.

quote:

Verenas of Talrimas

He is like the Wolf, only not a political incompetent. It is a priority that he be subverted or destroyed.

quote:

If I were to lay claim to my true nemesis, it would no doubt he Lord Urios. For he plots and schemes, and if anyone would be able to notice what I am doing and put obsticles in my path it would be him. His quiesence in the current matters is an obvious blind, but for what. The question gnaws at me, but it is something I will have to discover in due course. Perhaps I can create some sleeper agents to infiltrate his house. In the end we will have to square off, my magic vs. his deviousness and only fate can say who the victor will be.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Samarah's Opinions on and Ra'Loah's Prophecies about the Notables of Sevvran

A curious beast indeed. Ra'Loah's spoken to me little of him, but I've seen firsthand the impact this dragon has had throughout Sevvran and beyond - the First Bank he controls has both been the source of credit for great works and mighty castles, and the hand of ruin for countless lives. Though Glaumdrang, as a dragon, is a creature of Wind and Fire, I fear this one worships only itself and the gold it carelessly hordes. Should he prove recalcitrant in assisting the One True God, I'm sure I can find better uses for his piles of treasure. Judgement: Sinner

quote:

Kiris-Or
Ah yes, the master of spies. Such a pretty bird for such a dirty job, wouldn't you say? I truly hope he'll be amenable to my cause - I should like him to retain his current role, and for his people not suffer any harm through the chaos soon to come. Birds are blessed by Ra'Loah, as they fly the Divine Winds It set in motion, and surely the Orm number among them. Judgement: Saint

A disgusting abomination, twisting the minds and bodies of mortals to suit his whims. The Gift is just that - one of Ra'Loah's many blessings for us - and this monster has taken to using it to force men to worship himself. I know not what use the True God has for him, but I pray it be that his eventual death be ignoble and a lesson for others that would imitate him. Judgement: Sinner

The strength of her swordarm and the skills of her soldiers are nothing before the might of the True God. Ogres are proud of their resistance to magic, but nothing can stand against the True God - she would do well to reflect and pray on that. With that said, I hope she sees the Light, and fights alongside my cause - she'll be a valuable soldier in the wars to come and on the fields of Armageddon. Judgement: Saint

Should she humble herself (for the first time in her life) and embrace the One God as her own, I am sure her people will be freed from the bonds of oppression. Should she stubbornly resist, she'll live to see all she's worked for reduced to cinders around her - and only then, as she lay dying in the depths of deepest misery, will she find peace. Ra'Loah has some grand purpose for her, I just cannot foresee what it is. Judgement: Saint

A man is good, or he is evil. Consorting with demons has marked him forever, no matter what nobler motivations he plays at having. His people are soon to be corpses in this world and slaves to dark powers in the next, but the Count lacks the vision to see the future he's doomed them to. Perhaps I can try and save them, but I am doubtful I'll have the time - there are more pressing concerns before the Final Days arrive. Judgement: Sinner

A good and honorable man in service to an evil cause. Leopold the IV has earned Ra'Loah's wrath, it is destined that he and his corrupt regime be purged from this Earth. I predict Viktor himself will be one of the two largest obstacles to this goal - but despite the necessity of his destruction, I am saddened. I pray that he dies peacefully in his sleep, as he's earned it. Ra'Loah's will can sometimes seem cruel, that I am destined to oppose him. Judgement: Sinner

An urban legend - albeit one that goes back a long ways. I'd heard many tales of this supposed Prince during my travels, though the local variations always added a nice touch. A boogeyman that destroys the powerful, the obvious moral of the story is a greater awareness for how we as Mortals impact those around us. The pigeons are a nice horror element, I must say. Judgement: Doesn't exist.

Ah, the Flame of Resistance. Ra'Loah is testing this man. Should he prove capable of learning what he must, he will emerge from this crucible with a soul forged and tempered in the fires of conflict - he'll become a King of legendary quality and judgement. Should he fail, he and his line shall perish from this Earth... even if this means it falling into the hands of Monarch I am destined to put in power in Sevvran, I'd rather not see this come to pass. I hope to be able to help him as much as I can. Judgement: Saint

The First Order can but glimpse at the meanings behind the winds and clouds of the sky, but in their arrogance think this gift of Ra'Loah's to be theirs. Sudden Clarity saw but a part of her destiny, and it has made her proud. Both she and the Order shall be humbled, I am sure of it - I merely hope that they be able to find the Wisdom they pretend to have before it is too late for them. Their temples really are quite beautiful, it'd be a shame to see them burn. Judgement: Sinner

Ra'Loah has a truly special destiny in mind for her - I can say no more, as I've seen but glimpses of it. I know I am less significant to my God than she, and as such she must be truly special indeed. I met her once, when I was minor courtier in the court of Leopold the III... and she was a truly bratty eight year old. Fate is funny sometimes. Judgement: Saint

A sword is made for a purpose - so that someone else might wield it. It's of no value by itself, without someone to wield it. Though it might walk about as if its a person, it has no soul, and will be returned to its rightful role soon enough. Judgement: N/A

I've actually met Amerigo before - I scribed for The Sevvran Royal Excise and Custom Bureau for a time, though I doubt he remembers. The man fights against his true role in life every step of the way, I cannot fathom the relief he will feel once I reveal the Light of Ra'Loah to him. He's meant to stride the land, not coop himself up in an office in the service of a corrupt regime. I shall weep should he be killed, but will do what my God heeds me to. Judgement: Sinner

At least Glaumdrang possesses some virtues - they are absolutely lacking in this disgusting dragon. It is a blight upon existence in every way, having abandoned the freedom of the skies for the muck of the Earth, its traded in the favor of Ra'Loah for the wicked temptations of the Great Enemy. I hope to be their when it meets it final fate... it'll probably have some interesting and lengthy last words, and I'd like to record them. Judgement: Sinner

quote:

Anathema
That she is somehow back means the Great Enemy is already marshaling its forces. What better champion for Darkness and Death than a tyrant from an age long past, returned to lead horrors and the damned into battle against the Hosts of Ra'Loah. Many think her an impostor, but I know better - I've seen her in my visions, smiling atop a throne of chains, and I know that she will only be destroyed for good when the time is right. Judgement: Sinner

The Beylerbeyi needs to serve a new master. As it stands, they're brigands in the service of a False King, and their time will surely come. Should they see the light, should they serve the rightful Monarch? They will be spared, and their war calls and the thunder of their horses shall ring out in the Final Days, as heroes clash with demons and the world ends around us all. Judgement: Sinner

quote:

Thanda
Though he also hails from the desert, this creature and those like him clearly serve the Great Enemy. That they are allowed to exist is an affront to Ra'Loah. Judgement: Sinner

I shall see this man burned at the stake personally, but will perhaps weep some for the truly horrible fate in both this world and the next he has earned for himself. Judgement: Sinner

quote:

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe
Ah. I fear she wishes me dead, though I bear her no ill will. Strange, isn't it? I suppose it's because I know what's going to happen to her. She's mighty, yes - but no one can fight fate, it's not a dragon you can hold at swordpoint or bandy words with. It's inevitability, the Will of the True God. And I've seen hers. I've nothing to worry... and what's more, I both pity and admire her. She actually hired me to work in the Royal Court once, years ago. I doubt she remembers - I was good enough to get hired, but not exemplary, and I left after a month or two. It's silly, but that brief time I spent working with her means that I'd rather her change her ways and avoid what Fate has in store for her. Judgement: Sinner

quote:

Pope Sahalnir XI
And to think, I used to respect his intelligence - back before I knew better, but still. I shall see this man burned at the stake as well - preferably after the Inquisitor Karl. I'd like him to have more time to panic, to despair, and to desperately try to repent before he meets his well deserved end. Judgement: Sinner

quote:

The Windspeaker
I should like to meet this woman, to test the truth of her claims for myself. If the winds truly have guided her here, than she is a servant of Ra'Loah's will. If they haven't, and she merely pretends at it - or even worse, some darker force has fooled her into serving it - then for the good of the world she must be destroyed, before she accomplishes whatever she intends to. Judgement: Up in the Air

quote:

Should she be amenable to worshiping Ra'Loah and still willing to oppose her foster mother, I see no reason that Petra be unwelcome in aiding my cause. If not, though sad for her, her absence from under our banners and eventual death will be no great loss. Her recent move to distance herself from the Elder Wolf is hopefully the first step on her way towards righteousness - I cannot help but think it was Ra'Loah's will. Judgement: Saint

quote:

Lucius
Ra'Loah has enemies that need killed by his servants - there's nothing wrong with paying him to serve my Faith. That said, best for him if he gets right with the True God as quickly as possible. Besides, I need not fear him - I've seen how I die, and it's not by his hand. Judgement: Sinner

quote:

A beast of the Great Enemy, he must not be permitted to live. He serves his evil master as faithfully as I serve my Good and Just one - though it is possible he does not know it yet. I pray that I be up to the task of seeing this abomination purged. Judgement: Sinner

quote:

Verenas of Talrimas
Not nearly as important as he thinks he is, his vanity will lead him to an ignominious end, no matter who he serves. Some people cannot help but destroy themselves. Judgement: Sinner

quote:

Should he wish to retain the vast bounty Ra'Loah has seen fit to bless him with, he had best throw in his allegiance with the True God and Its Chosen Monarch. To do otherwise, and well... it would not trouble me to show him how little his plans and schemes matter in the face of an Angry Divine. Judgement: Sinner

Rauri fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 15, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Octavia "Juice" Jagerpfaltz
The New Boss

I was standing guard for the boss as usual while he negotiated. Between me and Shanks he had nothing to fear. Something with the local spice runners? I wasn't really paying attention. I was handling my own negotiation. Red growled as she always did. Kill him! Kill the gutless cur right now! She was a constant nuisance. They all were. drat it all, I can barely remember a time when the colors weren't always in here with me. They came with the brews, but they over stayed their welcome. No! They'll turn on us, they all will! They only answer to him! Yellow, craven as ever. Blue's mewling followed If nothing else, they'll follow coin. But can we keep the bills paid? Any wisdom blue might have to offer was always tainted with such a dreadful broken tone. We can't! The boss is better at working deals. We don't get as much coin as he! Red roared over Yellow's protests Then kill them too! Break them until they kneel! That weakling pays for loyalty, you shall command it! Now show your strength! I stepped forward and unconsciously pulled out the vial from my belt. Everyone at he meeting turned to look at me. I paused, with blue's voice ringing Will we tear down his whole kingdom to reap the scraps? Such a waste... But then a voice I so rarely hear perked up. Purple's smooth purr was deafening Oh please, if you're going to do it do it. Work out the consequences later. But don't hesitate when you have your chance. "Yes." I say to no one. I have everyone's attention now, not that it matters. I change out the vial and bask in the purple brew before downing it. In an instant that feels like minutes there is a rush of energy. My vest feels tight around my surging muscles. My steel pole umbrella shatters the bridge of the boss' nose. He flies back in his chair, and I kneel down to finish the work. when I am satisfied that he will not be getting up I turn to the clients. They are mortified, more so when I use the bloody umbrella to pull the coins towards me. "We accept the contract on those terms." I fish through the bag and hold out a handful for Shanks. "Here's a bonus for tonight."
Yeah I was there when Juice lost her friggin marbles and did in Blackburn. That girl always seemed a bit off but nice. Like, she never talked about her stint in The Drowning Pool, that's what he call Bakerfield gaol. Like Fredrickson came out of there mostly fine. 'Bout as fine as any of us is. Anyway, Juice always was just quiet. She was a bit goofy when she was quaffing those cocktails of her. But you should see the boys when they have their own. Cautlebell ale and Tessal wine with a drop of fae blood. Oh that'll mess you up for a night.
Right sorry. I don't like to think about it. I drat need poo poo my trousers. Just outta no where she steps up to Blackburn while business is happening and she just breaks his nose. Then starts wailing on him with her umbrella. She had that thing commissioned, it's her weapon on the streets. Then she just gets up and finishes the deal! She just smiles to me like nothing happened and pays me for the night, like she's always been the boss! Instead of you know, wearing half the boss' head on her vest! Sorry, I mean Blackburn. Not supposed to call him that. So yeah and she promotes me. I don't know what could be worse, if she's trying to bribe me with that or if she actually likes me. I thought she liked Blackburn. Everyone was too spooked to say anything. Or they didn't care as long as they got the same amount of coin. Anyone that walked away did so at night. Everyone's giving her a wide berth right now. I hope things settle down. Everyone's trying to go through me instead of dealing with her themselves. Do they think I like bringing bad news to her?!
Jeez, the city guilds and officials are probably even more bent out of shape over it. Blackburn might have squeezed them dry, but at least they could count on him to do that. Even I don't know what to expect from Juice. She keeps asking people about stuff going on outside of the city. Like the nonsense with the throne. That don't concern us. Brion has always been neutral and it's too important a trade hub to risk in some internal spat. But she gets that smile when she hears about people making a play for the throne. Ugh, sends shivers down my spine.

The Gutter Runners +4. While the Runners are based of course in the Gutter, they are by no means limited to just the slum or even the city. Any willing to do anything for coin and good enough to get it done end up in the network. Blackburn's calculating paranoia had a web of front gangs in other provinces masking the reaching influence of the Runners. Juice's lack of subtly leads to these gangs being treated in a more open vassal role, but they are all still assets for Juice to call upon. Certainly after word got around of what happened to the leader of the Calicos.

Dr Feelgood +4. Juice got her nickname for her skill with a beaker. She has no practice or talent with the sorts of alchemical brews that do all sorts of useful things for her profession like melt bars or create smoke clouds. But making potent brews that are safe to consume is a wonder all in itself. Not that people are quite sure on how safe it all is. But when one needs to push their body to the limit, or make the pain go away, one doesn't think about years from now. Juice never did.

Taste of the good life -2. Juice has clawed her way up to the top from less than nothing, and has a severe disinterest in anything between her and what she wants. She's ambitious and capable of a hair trigger temper. Being denied is an insult and she brooks insults poorly.

Brion, Jewel of the Suedu River
The Gutter

The city is built upon the main trade river of the land. An untold amount of wealth passes through and is accumulated in the city. It all flows to the top however. The canals of the city are the epicenter of poverty. Criminal elements run wild, and pinch their cut from merchants before the taxmen can get to them.

Tastes of all manner +4 can be sated in the great and awful metropolis. If you're buying, someone is selling. If you can't find it in Brion it simply can't be found.

A house divided -2 the various guilds, merchant blocs, and actual authorities are all separate groups vying for their own power in the city. Juice's criminal empire has brought each to heel to her own devices through a variety of intimidation, bribes, and blackmail. But the city is not united and each acts in their own interest.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 11, 2016

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
FM: Hieronymus, A., Minister of Excise and Taxation
TO: Lady Beatrice de Wulfe
RE: Massive, continent wide audit.

Per your instructions, yer Ladyship, I've put together a plan for boosting the income stream in these trying times. I've formulated plans for each of these notables, however, while we will able to pay many of them a visit, trying to get all of it at once may prove to be a bit trying. Please see the note requesting the assistance of Lord von Voss to back up my men. I've noticed a bit of resistance to my noble endeavors the longer the King has been away. Money is the lifeblood of an Empire, and both of those are going to be splashed around quite liberally in the times to come.

I view this as a personal challenge. Getting one of these beasts to part with its hoard makes extracting blood from a turnip look positively easy in comparison. (Why yes, that is that jar of red stuff I have on my desk you were inquiring about.) That said, rather than go after his wealth in the vaults, I recommend obtaining it while in transit to his clients and taxing them instead. They're far less likely to be covered in scales, talons, and breathing fire. Only two things are certain in this life, yer Ladyship, death and taxes, you've demonstrated the first applies to dragons, I'll make sure the second one applies as well

quote:

Kiris-Or

A little birdy told me about this one, and I'm quite impressed with his setup and the little smuggling operations he gets into. There's no way I'm letting half a ton of powdered red moss just fly up the noses of the nobility without the Crown getting its piece. Time to make sure he shares his nest egg.

I've dealt with many a cultist in my day, and this one appears to be more of the same. Actively antagonistic ones like these need a more personal hand when seizing their stupid golden frogman idol or whatever for taxes unpaid. From their dogma I'm expecting more roving fire related spirits and traps in their camps than the usual darts and spikes shooting out of the wall in some underground crypt.

You know I do not say this lightly, but purge, burn, do not attempt to collect from his estate. The last thing I need is to open a coinpurse and see it wiggle its tentacles at me.

Pirates without style or legal justification, I've caught more than one smuggling band that employed an ogre, well attempted to apprehend. The collection squad came away empty handed, as in literally missing hands. They work fantastically on this side of the law as well, you wouldn't believe the number of occasions where having an excise agent that can walk into a burning building comes in handy. Literal fire sales.

I can see she has substantial...assets. We have to tread carefully here, wizards usually sit on large quantities of untaxed wealth. Getting it without being burned, exploded, or turned into a newt is the trick.

Nasty nasty. People liked to say I'm an example of the nobility at its worst, but I'd like to point at the actual warlock poisoning the entire province instead. Siege, pillage, and sell it all off as fast as we can. Having cursed gold and objects sitting around in the vault tends to create quite the nasty vibe.

von Voss reminds me of my father in many ways; old, angry, and despises my very existence. As I said earlier, I might require your Lady's aid in making sure he aids my work. For all his grumbling, its the coin my office pulls in that keeps his men fed and housed.

We've heard reports of some sort of slumlord operating out of the Arks. Anyone nasty enough to survive long there is to be treated with caution. The only reason my office has taken notice is the rather elaborate market they've set up in the tunnels. Probably not much to be had there, but always a possibility if your Lady deems our situation dire enough.

Another bandit king, his province is a major source of revenue but the constant harassment is going to make the cost/effort ratio somewhat skewed. I'll probably need help on this one unless you want my men tromping around forests looking for someone who's everywhere and nowhere.

A strong, plucky, violent woman sitting on an entire temple of accumulated treasure? I think I know where I'm spending my next working vacation.

And this brings me to the proverbial elephant in the room. With her behavior, I'm not sure how much she has left. Only a matter of time before she comes looking for a handout from state finances. (I'm only slightly sore at being ignored totally at the ball.)

This would be less taxation and more kidnapping.

Good gods. The maw of industry takes on quite the literalness with this guy. A reliable source of income, but if your Ladyship feels the need to be done with him, I think waiting for the gout to do him in may be quicker than putting a sword past that gut.

quote:

Anathema

We've either god a centuries dead Elven queen or someone impersonating such. If they manage to get that old kingdom up and running again I might have to pay them a visit personally. Those alien, inhuman races always have quite the treasure trove stashed away somewhere*

*I'm not counting the frogmen or mushroom men and such that live in caves and use spores for currency. What a wasted weekend that was.

Parasite, thief, pillager, under a guise of semi-legality. I like his style. That said I ask your Ladyship not to sent me to a barren wasteland where they horse apples for money, or whatever.

What a travesty, a rogue agent taking a broken imperial agency now bloated with all sorts of newfangled powers. Um, well, I mean he could prove quite the ally if he can get over all those little "greed" clauses in the books. Render unto Leopold what is Leopold's.

quote:

Thanda

I try to avoid monsters that don't actually have anything worth taking.

quote:

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe

Per your instruction, your Ladyship, I've included this in terms of the entire nation's economic well being. I'll speak bluntly: the campaigns are bleeding us dry, if we don't get more income in, things will get ugly as we decide what parts of the government we don't need anymore, which is a bit like deciding which of your fingers you want to chop off first.

quote:

Pope Sahalnir XI

Yes, the usury sermons are burned into my brain at this point. That said, when the dotage sets in might be the best time to do an audit on all the real goodies the church has been hiding away all these years. Remember: Render unto Leopold.

quote:

The Windspeaker

Appears to enjoy only two things: 1: Being impossible to catch and 2: Being broke. Not a high priority.

quote:

I'm not even going to surmise what's going on here, your Ladyship.

quote:

Lucius

Creepy, and appears to do what I do only focusing on the violence first and payment second. Scratch that, its the living that get taxed. While doable, you have to get a lot more creative to tax the dead. I'm ready for something, its not the first time a disgruntled citizen thought their liabilities would go away if I was out of the picture.

quote:

Look, we all agree someone has to put the mad dog down, isn't the military or the inquisition, or the spymaster better suited to this? Just because I've survived more than one encounter with evil mages doesn't mean I want to make a habit of it.

quote:

Verenas of Talrimas

Once again, no comment your Ladyship.

quote:

Look, I'm not exactly proud of everything I've done, but I try to keep things honest and straightforward enough that I don't have to remember which of 500 plots and lies I've made up that week to stay afloat.

Also he's annoyingly good at using the law to get out of his taxpaying obligations. No I don't see the irony here.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 11, 2016

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Valas the Last
Self Styled Queen of Mistfall

The universe has a certain order to it, or so the priests whisper to their secret congregations. The faithful gather in cellars and shaded glens, places out of the suspicious eyes of the Vallensin church, and listen as the priests explain such things to them. Every dusk, Lady Moon slays Lord Sun, staining the sky red with his lifeblood and casting him down to earth. And every dawn, he rises again, as strong ever, and casts her down in turn. In all things, there are two; night and day, life and death, hot and cold. It is simply the way of the world; one cannot exist without the other. This day may be particularly long and searing, the priests say, but night will always come again. The old ways will return. After all... they missed one.

That would be me. The long promised queen, kept in secret all these long years, waiting for the right time to wrench the Sevvran boot from off the neck of my people. I'm not sure whether they know or care that I was never supposed to be; quite frankly, I'm the best they've got. Before the conquest, I was nothing. A handmaiden and companion to the least important princess of Mistyfall, educated alongside her to serve as her friend, confidant, and more-than-occasional meal. I was more than happy to give the last; I loved my princess, and she was kind to me when she didn't need to be. When she gave me the Gift, it was a minor scandal; such things were not simply done on a whim, without care for station or rank or politics. In the end, though, when the furor had died down, I remained -- last and least of Mistfall vampires. This came scant months before the conquest.

The Sevvrans killed most of us. The great houses, the lesser houses, and nearly all of the royal family. Those that escaped were hunted down in the years to come. My princess and I learned of this well after the fact, cowering as we were in our hiding place, tended by only a handful of loyal servants. Up above, things quieted. Occupation became annexation. Mistfall was declared a Sevvran province, its people pacified, its heathen religion banned, all traces of the past dynasty expunged... except for my princess. Years went by, and whispers of her survival spread among the people. We began to make tentative arrangements to meet with the surviving priests; make plans for the long years ahead, and the seemingly-impossible task of restoring what had been destroyed.

We grew complacent. Took too many risks; eventually, my princess paid for it. I could do nothing to help her -- I barely escaped from that place with my own life. The promised queen died that day, riddled with arrows, bleeding out in the moonlight. She died, and I'm all that's left. For a long time, for decades, I was certain that I wouldn't be enough.

Ironically, Sahalnir XI was the man who changed that. The Mistfolk had always been reluctant to part with the old ways; it was an open secret, the sort of rituals that they practiced behind closed doors. In the past, the church had turned a blind eye to this, so long as they outwardly accepted the state religion, and paid their tithes. Under the new Pope, this went out the window; inquisition, harsh reprisal, priests discovered and publicly executed. The stories of elders and grandparents -- of the old Mistfall lords, who left folk alone, so long as they obeyed the laws and paid the blood price -- began to circulate more earnestly. One king died, and a new one emerged, taking his armies on a path of bloody conquest to expand the borders away from Mistfall. We were never going to get a better chance.

They weren't expecting it. Mistfall had been a secure, if strange and unfriendly possession for as long as most could remember. All the vampires were dead, they thought. Nonetheless, the Sevvran Lady of Mistfall is dead. Her forces in disarray, her sons squabbling and disorganised, scurrying to the neighboring provinces for help that they can ill afford to give. The bulk of the bulk of the Vallensin clergy have been forced to flee with them. The crown, we hope, is too busy with its other wars to deal with us again right away. Perhaps we're wrong, and in a few months time royal forces will arrive to crush us again, forever this time. It's impossible for me to say. Truth be told, even as my forces grow and more of the townships pledge their loyalty to me, I must admit that I am afraid of what will happen next. Hiding in a dark cave felt safe; operating in the open leaves me feeling nothing but anxious and exposed. But I will try -- after all, I owe my princess that much. And as they say, night must come again eventually.

quote:

Qualities:

Promised Queen +4 The Mistfolk have greeted the arrival of the long fabled vampire queen with almost alarming enthusiasm -- for now, at least, she has captured the hearts of the people, and there is no shortage of loyal subjects willing to risk their lives for her, green as many of them may be.

Dark Bloodline +4 Fast, strong, supernaturally beautiful and nigh immortal if left to their own devices, a skilled human might still best a vampire in single combat, but it is unlikely to be an easy fight.

Imposer Syndrome -2 Despite her initial success, Valas is plagued by self doubt and the private conviction that she is unfit for the role she finds herself in. She worries about failure and the countless deaths this would bring. This makes her indecisive in high risk situations.

quote:

Mistfall

It has been two human generations since the armies of a past Sevvran king rode into Mistfall armed with righteous fury and fire, routing the smaller kingdom's armies in a single bloody battle. The Sevvran warriors freed people of Mistfall from the yolk of the foul monsters who ruled there, destroying any vampire they could find and outlawing the twisted witch-cult that supported them. Strangely, the Mistfolk failed to greet their liberators as heroes -- they resisted proper religion and seemed to resent the benevolent occupation. It was a further ten years before Mistfall could be considered truly pacified.

In the time since then, Mistfall has become a stable outlying province of the kingdom, with mines and lumber enough to keep the family gifted the lands comfortably wealthy, even if the people remain strange, clannish and unfriendly. Rumors of surviving undead abominations are just that -- rumors. There has not been so much as a sighting of a vampire in the province for more than a lifetime. Or at least, their hadn't been, before one emerged from nowhere, and launched a full-on rebellion.

Deep Mines and Dark Forests +2 Mistfall has abundant natural resources, a source of significant revenue for the region

The Old Ways +2 Mistfolk are accustomed to being secretive and mistrustful of outsiders -- this makes them particularly difficult to spy on or infiltrate.

Hidden Dangers -2 Winters are hard, the soil is rocky, and those lucrative mines and forests are all too often the home of dangerous creatures. Life is not unbearable in Mistfall, but it is frequently dangerous.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 11, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

If you need an opinion template, here's one. It's missing Samarah, Thanda, Octavia and Valas, but I don't feel like redoing it.

Here's a summary of the PCs and NPCs created so far (courtesy Megane).

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Only one spreadsheet so far? I'm a little disappointed.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Robodog posted:

I have two myself but they got all kinds of juicy Gm secrets so....

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Robodog posted:

I made one last night but didn't share. Will link in a bit.

GoldenJoe
Aug 9, 2006
Kezak, Glorious Draahzin's Bomb Merchant

"Welcome, esteemed customer! I'm Kezak, Draahzin's- I mean Glorious Draahzin's Bomb Merchant. I don't know how you've located me but you should praise your good fortune; you won't find bombs like these anywhere else."

"No, I didn't steal these. What, you think that because I'm a kobold that I stole these? Glorious Draahzin provided these to me so that I may sell them to all of you fine folk on the surface."

"Haven't heard of Glorious Draahzin? It's not surprising, we kobolds rarely keep in contact with the surface."

"A few months ago, you might of heard or felt a rumble in the ground-- that was Glorious Draahzin demonstrating his formidable bomb-making intellect. We were so enamored with him that we made him our new leader and we expect all other kobolds will do the same."

"I hope that has sated your curiosity, as I'm afraid I can say no more. Now, if you are interested, perhaps I can give you a demonstration?"

Unlike other merchants, Kezak doesn't profit off of his sales; he doesn't even want to peddle his goods. You might be wondering what Kezak's motivations are; it's a simple matter of keeping his life. You see, only a few months ago Kezak was the leader of the kobold-run city-state Ghaaz, before Draahzin decimated half the city with his bombs. The decision to surrender happened quickly, as Draahzin's forces were small but more than enough to clean up the remains of the Ghaaz military.

Draahzin was originally going to execute Kezak, but the former leader proved very agreeable with hardly a threat given. Deciding Kezak was more of an asset than a threat, Draahzin sent him to the surface as a "merchant"; any funds Kezak acquired would be welcome, but Kezak's main purpose as an arm's dealer, a purpose he's not aware of, is to destabilize the surface in preparation for a future invasion.

Kezak might be shaken and passive to a fault, but it doesn't mean he's content merely living as a pawn of a tyrant. What is a kobold to do?

+4 Leader turned Arms Merchant - I served as the elected leader of Ghaaz for about 12 years, before my "promotion"; now, the only thing I lead is a retinue of guards and wagoners, the former of which also ensure my continued service. Needless to say, I've got plenty of experience dealing with people from all walks of life.

+2 Bomb Stockpile - What else is there to say? Draahzin sent me up here with a lot of bombs to sell. Well, I guess I should state that we're allowed to use them in case of emergency, and my guards have a loose definition of emergency.

+2 Sower of Conflict - Draahzin kindly informed me that it's easier to sell weapons in times of war than peace, and I'd rather not disappoint Glorious Draahzin. Anyway, you won't believe how many different groups have bought bombs from me! Oddly, they mentioned something about you while buying them; you don't want to be the odd one out, do you?

-2 Coward - All my time spent governing Ghaaz, all the progress I and all the leaders before me made, was for naught the day Draahzin turned half of Ghaak into rubble. Now I'm forced to work for that madman. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hopeless; he will fall, and when he does I'll return as Ghaaz's leader, but I can't do that if I'm dead, you know?

Ghaaz

The oldest and wealthiest city-state of the kobolds, it lies deep underground somewhere underneath the kingdom of Sevvran. There lies no convenient path from the surface to Ghaaz as kobolds are typically isolationists, even from other groups of kobolds. In fact, when severe punishment is needed, kobolds are exiled to the surface; unfortunately, the use of the surface as a penal colony has given the impression that kobolds are degenerates and criminals.

+4 Wealthy - The wealth of Ghaaz is unmatched by any other kobold city-state, due to it being established early and in a metal-rich area.

-2 Rebuilding - After the hostile takeover by Draahzin, most of its citizens are still picking up the pieces, and will be for the foreseeable future.

Note- Kezak's enthusiasm for Draahzin and selling bombs, and his carefree attitude may be inflated for the purposes of this app.

GoldenJoe fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 11, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Not really convinced, to be honest. Your kobold has way less narrative power than anybody else, making sure he wouldn't be taken seriously. Also, the qualities should be tied to your character at least loosely, and something like a bomb stockpile could easily be stolen/confiscated). Not to mention that it's a bit of a logic leap that anybody would allow them to use "being able to use bombs in self defense", every sane kingdom would have laws regarding that.

Perhaps you should be a merchant prince of some kind - not just some pseudo-exiled merchant. Up your power level! The other people in this list need to be able to take you serious as a rival.

This brings me to another issue - your weakness. It's a narratively sound weakness - but I don't think it'll work well in this game. Conflict is pretty much the status quo here. You'll basically run away from everything all the time or be at -2 for too many things. I'd like to see it changed. Perhaps something about kobolds not being taken seriously/not trusted?

Valas the Last

Really like the app, and only really have to note one thing: Monster out of nightmare feels a bit... redundant to me. Not convinced it couldn't be folded into either of your other qualities.

And, this is more a sign of the quality of the app than anything, but I do think that rocky soil -2 is a bit bland in comparison.

An alchemist, huh? I was wondering when we're gonna get one of those.

As for criticism, I'm not certain The Breaker needs to be a separate quality - I feel like it could easily be folded into the Gutter Runners quality as part of their (and, in turn, Juice's) reputation.

Also not entirely convinced about the flaw. Something like Insanity is easily abusable - by both sides. A bit too easy, if you ask me. I would like to see something a bit less generally applicable. Perhaps limit it to aftereffects of potion consumption?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 11, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hieronymus receives a response letter from Lady de Wulfe.

I must wonder about the point of addressing me with my title if you're just going to use slang regardless. Not that I care. I also must say I am quite disturbed by the fact that you seem to know more about these notables than I do. It seems I must hold a stern talk with my spymaster...

Regardless, glad to hear SOMEONE in this kingdom intends to do their job right. Makes, what, four of us? Never mind... attached you will find my thoughts and orders on the matter.

Wait, how does that even -- nevermind. Let me inform you that form of the owner of Sevvran's gold does not matter. Just because he's a dragon does not mean he gets to sit around on a mountain of untaxed money. You will tax both, as per law. Or, are you perhaps implying you are are afraid of an oversized, scaly, fire-breathing chicken?

Samarah Ka Qismah, the Chosen Prophet

If you do find any stupid golden frogman statues on this irritating prophet, bring them to me directly. For... research purposes.

Agreed. Just throw him into the nearest volcano. Weither he's alive or dead at the time doesn't matter.

Sasha Snowdrake

Having no hands sounds very detrimental to tax-collecting purposes. Make sure to replace those men. And yes, I do intend to hire these ogres, but thanks for the reminder regardless.

Lavelle Ingernassa

Yes, I am aware she's got large assets. As well as a large bust. Do try to get your hands on the former.

Count Edvard Marcel Borde

Wait, warlock? Why would you accuse Count Borde of that? And why would we siege our own province? ... I do believe we're on two different levels of intel here. Share what you know with me as soon as possible.

Sorry to hear about your father. I'll have a word with him. Please refrain from trying to collect tax from him until AFTER you are done cooperating, however.

The Prince of Pigeons

While by principle we could tax them, it's likely not worth the hassle currently. Focus your efforts on wealthier areas first. Also, why has nobody told me about these tunnels yet?!

Kurt Hissin

Here's a suggestion: When you find him, stab him in the face instead. It should get the rebellious element to die down, and we won't have to try and find the man every month.

Sudden Clarity

Please refrain from from angering the monks. We already have to deal with the idiotic pope - we do not need the monks to aid him.

Leona Sevvran

I would prefer if you didn't refer to the princess as an elephant.

And? Just because its a sword doesn't mean its free from tax. If it pretends to be a living thing, we'll treat it as a living thing - for the purposes of taxing only. Seriously, tax this thing into the ground.

Hell, tax the stupid peasants that LIKE this thing into the ground, too. Tax the arena that made it famous into the ground. Once you're done, smelt this stupid, magical abomination into coins or something.

Prince Orignoxfes

Well, at least he pays his taxes in full. Besides, his presence keeps the gnomes out of our ears, which is one less problem we have to deal with.

Anathema

If you actually manage to tax a myth, I will give you a promotion.

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin

Noted. I will make sure any wastelands with horse apples for money will not be barren.

Karl Vondevan

Tax him until he reconsiders his loyalties. I don't care for the pet inquisitor of the pope.

Thanda

Agreed. If it happens to have any money at some point, however, feel free to take it.

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe

Unfortunately, I saw that coming. Do you think we could get away for claiming the church as part of the government in this respect...?

Pope Sahalnir XI

I certainly wouldn't mind if you somehow managed to get the deeds to the ground their churches and temples stand on. And sell every last brick of them.

The Windspeaker

I am amazed you even managed to confirm her financial state.

Please do not tax my pupil.

Lucius

Don't worry, he's only killed people with actual class so far.

Why are you even trying to tax a public menace? I... appreciate the dedication, but that is highly unsafe.

Verenas of Talrimas

I know it's not technically following the law, but please do not tax my few supporters into the ground. I do need those...

Perhaps you should ask for advice?

----

Once again, I must thank you for your detailed report. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a spymaster to fire. Out of a cannon. At Orignoxfes.

Unrelated, but if you're working on the birdman, could you perhaps ask if he's interested in the position of spymaster?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
The memoirs of Basilissa Anathema of Blomstregård, King and Queen of the East and the West, Storhertuginde of the North, Archon of the Great Southern Sea, Imperator of the Pioneer Legion and Exulted Potentate of the Paramountcy. Written in Old High Dominion in script closer to calligraphy than conventional handwriting. Those who could read it numbered less than a dozen in the known world, and those who were native and fluent numbering fewer than half that figure.

OscarDiggs posted:

"Dragons consider themselves old beings, majestic and wise. But they are closer to living egos with wings and burning breath. Would one call a bandit great and terrible? No. Yet when one is scaled and gifted with flight, their raiding is seen in a different light. But stroke their ego and give them gold and they are contented, a threat easily contained. Which I daresay is the reason this one has been given a bank to lord over. Personally I wouldn't make the concession. The beasts fight amongst themselves anyway, if this Glaumdrang ever rose to be trouble five more dragons could be allied with to kill him and take his place of power."

"Blackbirds. Or orm, as I recall they prefer to be called by. They were little more than itinerants in the Paramount Dominion, very much the travelling nomads in a constant state of migration. When I was a child, I recall seeing the great flocks blot out the sun in the sky as they flew through. Truely the sight. But now they seem to have traded the life of vagrancy for the lives of fools and clowns. Quite curious, but perhaps Sevvran has no place within her borders for them. Kiris seems to hold a grudge on principle. History says I wronged the blackbirds, and perhaps in their stories I indeed have done them wrong. I doubt I can do anything but play to expectations."

Rauri posted:

Samarah Ka Qismah

"Religion never played much of a part in my life. The Paramountcy tolerated folk faiths that the provinces brought with them, they did no harm on the whole. And my parents did venerated the sun and the moon. But the Dominion had no centralised church, and I followed no faith. For what is a god? A powerful being we cannot understand? To some in the hyperborean territories, I was thought to be a god. Has this Samarah seen a vision from her god? I cannot say. There is no way for me to know. But scepticism would incline me to believe her visions serve a purpose other than the divine.

Valhawk posted:

"I have always held a certain fascination with the arcane. I could never understand it, not when I lacked any aptitude with magic whatsoever. But I admired those with the gift. But to have such a gift, and then to use it solely to alter the body and the minds of others? In my reckoning, it is as if I learnt to fight with the sole intent to murder the innocent with my blade. Not just a waste of talent, but an affront to the art. Artur is no better than a common outlaw, and deserves to be put to the sword along with the rest of those who have spurned society."

Theantero posted:

Sasha Snowdrake

"Even in the Paramount Dominion, the Western Archipelago was the far edge of the realm. Ogres were a continuous pain to put down, time and again they rose up seemingly just to fight for the sake of violence. The islands had one of the greatest concentration of soldiers in the entire Paramountcy. We did not yield. And it seems, if this mercenary captain is anything to go by, ogres have hardly changed at all in the time I have been away. It's almost reassuring, except that it is possibly the most annoying thing to have not improved at all in two thousand years."

Platonicsolid posted:

Lavelle Ingernassa

"An army is trained to fight with weapons. Swords. Spears. Clubs. Shields. They number in the thousands, and clash in massive battles that leaves the land scorched. Innocents die, families lose loved ones, and inevitable crimes are committed and justice escaped in the darkness of conflict. But people never raise an eyebrow at all this. But show a mage conjuring a lick of flame, and fear spreads like a disease. Is the ability to cast a spell more dangerous than the trust of a spear? Of course not. The Paramountcy let those touched with the gift of magic live free, their liberty was as important as the freedom of any other subject. Just one more part of the dominion that has failed to survive the millennia. Perhaps if I had stayed in my time, the blood of so many would not have been spilt so senselessly."

Savidudeosoo posted:

Count Edvard Marcel Borde, Lord of Niloufar

"This region is unknown to me. The northern mountains were largely uninhabited in the Paramount Dominion, to give buffer to the wild lands of the Wyvern Peaks. Orcs indicated they wished to settle there, but negotiations with the provincial viziers never occurred due to their assassination attempt against me. The count does whatever he has to in order to protect his people, which is an admirable trait I've seen very little of since I returned. I can only hope he has sound judgment and sage viziers at his side, lest he let this power lead him astray."

TheNabster posted:

"One of the unsung casualties of any conflict are the good men and women who follow orders on both sides. They fight to protect their families and to defend their homes. They are doing nothing wrong, nothing evil, and they are not the people who deserve to die in agony on the battlefield. The Lord Commander, like the Silent Knight, go to prove that Sevvran have knights of good standing and honour in their ranks. People who do the right thing and stay loyal. That whatever acts ordered by their king should not see the repercussions brought down upon their heads."

Cambrinus posted:

The Prince of Pigeons

"I ruled fairly and openly. I did not mask my decisions in complicated wording to obfuscate my true meaning. I rendered my edicts and owned them. I had very little use of spies and subterfuge. Perhaps the political landscape has changed so much that now it is a fact of everyday life that you will be spied upon. Perhaps even my presence has been noted and dark, shadowy figures are acting against me. But I am at best a disposed queen out of time, surely not a threat compared to so many other kings and counts and knights. That would be my only defence if such cloak and dagger games were taking aim at me."

Quornes posted:

Kurt Hissin

"Petty kings are one thing I refused to tolerate in the Paramountcy. When a kingdom was defeated, their rulers had to accept either exile to another province or death. Governors and viziers were brought in to administrate the new province of the dominion, and to cement the rule of law over the new subjects. Keeping the previous rulers around only fermented disquiet. And when hidden progeny rose up in defiance? After being offered such clemency? They suffered the full force of the Imperator. The fact Leopold failed to follow such wisdom with this seems to have caused his line a growing problem."

megane posted:

Sudden Clarity

"When I was a child, an elder of my village declared that the sun and the moon had spoken to him in a dream. He was fast for sixty days, nourished only by the light of the sun and the night of the moon. Then, on the night of the sixtieth day, he was to ascend to take his place in the heavens. The old man died after two weeks with no food and no water. The sun and the moon do not talk, much like weather systems do not communicate with anybody. Yet, here is another religious zealot steadfast and unshakable in her beliefs. This delusion does not make her any less dangerous, I must point out."

GodFish posted:

Leona Sevvran

"During my long, successful reign of the Paramount Dominion I ruled alone. I did not marry, not for love or for political reasons, and I bore no children. I took no lovers and had no paramours. I am chaste. And why do I take celibacy so seriously? Precisely to avoid any situation involving birthright and passing the crown by bloodline. Though this has not stopped the leaders of Blomstregård from claiming some lineage from me. Rule should be passed down to the one who can best rule, not by blood. Blood passes down the colour of the eyes or the hue of the skin, but leadership is not hereditary. And rightful claims and bastard claims tearing a realm in two? No. I was dedicated solely to the good of the realm and the good of my people. Those were my loves. Romance has no part to play in the life of a true Basilissa."

Apocron posted:

"Magical constructs like these were not unknown in the Paramountcy. Though I always saw them as toy for the rich, ways for the fabulously well gifted with the arcane to show off. If one wishes to use magic, cast a spell. If one wishes to fight, swing a sword. Why combine the two? But still, from what I can remember from dull banquets they make eager bodyguards and servants. I always meant to look into the issue of slavery with magical constructs, building a creature just to make it serve seems quite immoral."

Ronwayne posted:

Amerigo Hieronymus

"The Paramount Dominion ruled from coast to coast and across the seas. No empire so large could ever run without a massive bureaucracy fed by an efficient taxation system. The agencies required no fewer than three reformation before they were in adequate shape to tackle the expansion I had planned, but once in place they were up to the task. I can understand turning to an expert to lead the taxation office, but to grant clemency to a man avoiding justice so? To have that at the heart of the bureaucracy itself? It is a recipe for a rotten, corrupt system."

quote:

Prince Orignoxfes, Elder Dragon

"I do not like roundly condemning a sentient life to death. But this? Being a ruler means knowing when action is needed. This is a fat, greedy, corrupt morass of unscrupulous scales gorging itself beyond all recognition. It exists to torment and little else. What pathetic excuse for a life it leads should end, a swift death being more mercy than such a beast deserves."

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin

"Even if they have the authority of the boy king to do their duties, they are bandits by another name. I can't see how raiding and looting can ever be in the name of keeping the peace. To keep the peace, one must know and enforce the word of law. I doubt anything of the sort happens here."

berenzen posted:

"Nazir was one of the centres of learning in the Paramountcy. I remember it well, I spent my formative years being tutored there. The valleys were the perfect temperature for growing grapes, the vineyards produced this lovely sweet wine that tasted like the sun. I have few fonder memories than sitting with a glass of that sweet wine, pouring over a tomb and watching the golden sun set over the hills and valleys. It almost makes me hate the Naziri even more. They had perhaps the last connection left in the world to my home and they managed to not just leave it to ruin, but to detonate it entirely. Gone for good, wiped off the map. Not even ruins left, not even rubble. Just sand and dust. Nothing. If I ever reclaim even a fraction of my power, these hubris ridden fools deserve to be destroyed."

Epicurius posted:

"A thug, too weak to join the army or to become a bandit on the roadside. Too pious to simply believe in his folk faith and leave it be. So, you get a religiously motivated thug torturing the innocent to make himself feel closer to his god. It is disgusting. An inquisition? For what? Crimes against the church? If you truely care, then won't your god sort it out? If they commit a crime, the judiciary is here to deliver justice. There is no need for this man, his organisation, or his abuses."

TheTatteredKing posted:

"I tried my best to redirect funds to poorhouses, to make sure that no matter who you were or where you were in the dominion you could sleep comfortably and eat a warm meal. Subjects of my realm deserved at least that much. When the disadvantaged, the sick, and the poor are left to fend on their own you end up with people like this. Who then rule gangs like she does. They go from needing help to being too dangerous to do anything but lock up. It is a heartbreaking state of affairs."

Gazetteer posted:

Valas the Last

"The dominion included all kinds of sentient people. Elves, of course, along with orcs and dwarves and humans and ogres. Vampires were few and far between, but it had been made known to me that they did exist within the Paramountcy. Some, like any people, abuse their abilities and they were without mercy slain. But those who only fed on the willing, who did not want to cause trouble or grab for power, were allowed to live in peace. And most took advantage of that. They are people, after all, and most people only wish to have a quite life. To exterminate an entire species? Simply unconscionable."

GoldenJoe posted:

"Kobolds must have had a massive evolutionary boon since my time as ruler. They were a genus of lizard, if I recall correctly. Not much bigger than a small dog. Certainly not intelligent or sentient. Yet, here they walk and talk and conduct rather successful trade with other cities. I know precious little of these new sentient people, but this one at least seems to know the art of alchemy. An impressive feat for any person. Though, I associate explosions with something going wrong, personally."

People of the Kingdom

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe

"While the boy king marches to war, his loyal knight sits atop the throne to keep it from falling into the wrong hands. I think back to trial by combat, and the outrage when I prohibited them. It allowed the strong to lord over the weak, and legally slay them if they were ever challenged. A thief by another name. This boy king did not name a governor to rule in his stead as he played conquerer, as I had done for the years I marched with the Pioneer Legion, he named a warrior who cannot be beaten. He rules with the sword, not with the word of law. This Silent Knight shows the virtue expected of her, to protect her lord. It is the judgement of the boy king that reflect poorly from her incompetence."

Yami Fenrir posted:

Pope Sahalnir XI

"An old religious zealot fracturing the city, perhaps the kingdom, before he meets his god. Clearly he cares only for his own interests, otherwise he would not see so many suffer just to get his own way. How so many religions have come into being while I was away boggles the mind, but it is but one of many signs of moral decay this Sevvran has brought about. The sooner this religious leader dies, the better for all."

Yami Fenrir posted:

The Windspeaker

"A traveller, a follower of her own religion, incites the exisiting religious powers into calling for her death? This is why I am against these churches organising themselves. They think themselves powers answerable to no one but their god or gods. Ending the life of a young woman? God wants it so. Abrogating responsibility for your actions is so easy when you can call upon religion. Were I still Exulted Potentate I could call upon my viziers and research what we know of the world and the oceans, perhaps pinpoint where she came from. But as it is? She is as much a mystery to me as everybody else."

Yami Fenrir posted:

"A disciple of the Silent Knight? Her squire? Perhaps she is as noble and just as her mentor, without being so locked into her sense of loyalty to the crown. Certainly it seems she has some issues with her mentor now that she sit upon the throne. I am but an outsider looking in, but if one needed to see the Silent Knight evicted from the throne tis Wolf's Pup may be the one to do so."

"I am no stranger to assassination attempts. I am only even here because of a successful attempt. But to have a hired killer on retainer with the crown? Is there no honour in these lands any more? Do kings no ride out with their armies to face down those who wish to challenge them? It is pitiful. I can only imagine that to be in service to a king, this killer would have to be skilled. And expensive."

Yami Fenrir posted:

"A sociopath, murdering the innocent for personal gain. Abusing the gifts of magic he was given, like a solider turned to banditry. This soul is irredeemable and deserves death, no qualms about it. It is too late to save his victims, but if found soon enough it will be in time to prevent more families from losing their loved ones."

Yami Fenrir posted:

Verenas of Talrimas

"Born into a position to run the military. Has Sevvran ever faced a true foe? Do they know what it is like to have to fight shield-to-shield with an enemy stronger than you? To triumph purely because of the determination of your troops and the leadership of your commander? Clearly not, or else they would not make anything to do with the military a hereditary position. If these people claim any lineage to the Paramountcy I may have to put them in their place myself."

Yami Fenrir posted:

"I needed the backing of the aristocratic families when I was ruler. I did not like having to indulge them, but as it was in the best interest of the dominion to keep them contented I acquiesced. House Urios seems like the worst of the families I ever had to deal with, with added corruption and war profiteering. I would have punished such a man and his house were I the ruler they tried to play their tricks on."

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Candid opinions on notable persons, from Valas the Last, self styled vampire queen of Mistfall:

If there is a group that the people of Mistfall resent as much as the Sevvran priesthood, it is the Sevvran tax collectors. There's a common joke -- "at least when the old kings bled us dry, they'd buy us a meal first." Hard earned gold being siphoned away not only to support the hated church and unpopular local nobility, but to a distant king to furnish his palace and fund his wars, was always a hard pill to swallow. I am certain that more than a few of the Excise Bureau's representatives in Mistfall have met a less than glorious end since our glorious rebellion has began.

Cog in the oppressor's machine aside, I cannot help but admire the man himself, based on what I know of his history. They say he was an outlaw, and somehow talked his way into a lofty position. He would be an interesting person to meet, if such a meeting could take place without swords being drawn. Admittedly, I have been studying the copy of his reformed tax code the late. There is quite a bit for someone suddenly in my current position to take away from it.

quote:

Anathema
They say she has returned from the dead, somehow. As abhorrent as the histories make her out to be, the dynasty I am trying to restore has a scarcely better reputation. The Sevvrans do seem to recall a great deal more "blood orgies" and ritual human sacrifice on moonless night than I do. As such, it's difficult not to feel a degree of... kinship for this woman, assuming she's not simply a fraud.

The difference between us being, of course, that she at least actually built an empire herself, rather than being the last, pale remnant of a fallen kingdom.

On one hand, I feel as though I owe anyone who the Sevvrans have branded an unnatural monster the benefit of the doubt, particularly when they seek to rebel against the kingdom's ridiculous strictures on magic. I am, after all, in much the same situation, being an undead 'abomination' that feeds on the lifeblood of the living.

All the same, it is truly difficult to find the concept of so much writhing, pulsating flesh and mind control anything but repellent.

Leader of a horde of merciless raiders, empowered by royal writ to do whatever he will in the name of keeping "the peace"? Are you quite certain he isn't Sevvran?

Sevvran nobility infringing upon others' land and then crying foul when the natives don't take it lying down. How very surprising. It does make me wonder if any of the nearby orcish bands might be interested in an alliance of some sort, however.

There is something undeniably sad about a member of a once mighty race having lowered himself to assimilate into Sevvran hegemony. Of course, it's difficult to deny that his fortunes have fared a great deal better than mine are likely to. There's a certain bitterness to that thought.

It is necessary to regard some enemies as worthy of respect. Sevvran is a large kingdom, after all, and I am not so childish as to assume that everyone in it, or even in its church, is an evil zealot. I must confess, there is a certain relief to be found when I am confronted with one who I can quite firmly say deserves to be drained off all blood and dumped unceremoniously in a swamp. I doubt he would spare a great deal more mercy for me.

quote:

Kezak
Well, I can congratulate him on weathering the conquest of his lands better than most leaders do, although I imagine the reversal of fortune must be quite disheartening. ... how much were those bombs, again? Quite frankly, we could use an edge like that.

quote:

Kiris-Or
I spent such a long time in hiding, that it is very difficult to shake a wariness and mistrust for spies. It's not as though I don't see the value in information gathering and covert observation, but it is still difficult to be entirely comfortable with it. I dislike the notion of being watched without my knowledge. If he is as skilled as he is rumored to be... I can only hope that his work takes him in a direction very far from Mistfall. I doubt we could afford his rates ourselves at present.

The outlaw heir to a conquered kingdom, biding his time to take back his homeland. Of course, I wish him all the best, even if in past centuries relations between Mistfall and Hissin were not always the best, and there does remain the outside chance that we might aid each others' cause in some way. Thinking of him does inspire a degree of... melancholy recollection, however. He reminds my of my late princess. I can only hope his fate is kinder than hers was.

I feel we have quite a bit in common and there could be some benefit to working together against our common enemy if the opportunity ever arose. Pretenders to ancient thrones should stick together, after all. One thing we do not share in common, praise the Moon, is her... regrettable fashion sense. Ghastly.

A spoiled girl born from a corrupted lineage. By all rights, I should have few enough kind things to say about her. Truthfully, though, I can understand the position of being at once of a royal bloodline and forever outside of it. And if she can sow enough strife amongst the Sevvrans that it raises my chances, however, I will gladly drink to her health.

Alright. This has piqued my curiosity. A talking sword with a suit of armour for a body, you say? Such a thing would be quite entertaining to see in action. Of course, not so enertaining that I would risk a trip to the enemy heartland simply to catch a glimpse. I doubt such events would be held at night, regardless, and I am of course very busy.

Perhaps it's wrong of me to hold a mad little criminal to these standards... but murdering your own superior simply to seize power will never sit well with me. Loyalty has to mean something. Still, a mad woman taking charge of a sizable portion of the Sevvran criminal underground can hopefully spread a little chaos that might buy me a bit more time. And I must admit, I quite like her sense of style.

A bloated, gluttonous wyrm, demanding to be fed ever more on the threat of devouring his own subjects would make a very biting metaphor for Sevvran imperialism and conquest. It really is an appalling shame that this creature is not simply a metaphor.

More spies. Lovely. Aiding the poor and downtrodden is no doubt a terribly noble goal, but you will excuse me if I have pigeon spikes installed on the castle. I never liked those birds much anyway.

A zealot of a different flavour, but still a zealot. I admittedly don't know very much about her particular brand of fanaticism, but most of these foreign religions seem to take a remarkably dim view of the undead. I shall do my best to stay well clear of her, should there ever be a need.

Well, if one must have mercenaries, I suppose the honorable sort are preferable. I wonder if I could afford her? Doubtless the crown will have her on the payroll soon enough, and I can hardly match their coffers at present. I'll simply have to hope that the ogres are occupied somewhere else when it comes time for the Sevvrans' inevitable reprisal against me.

A violent Vallensin zealot religiously opposed to rebellion? I rather doubt we'd get along.

quote:

Thanda
Just as immortal as I am, and in league with the Sevvrans. Foolish. It's only a matter of time before they turn on his people. If not this kind, then one a century from now. Or two centuries. They are imply not to be trusted.

If I am ever to meet the Bear of the North, it is quite unlikely to be on amicable terms. It is his job to smash causes like my own into the ground. I am told he is a man of honour; it is hard to credit this to a man who has spent a lifetime aiding the Sevvran crown in conquering smaller kingdoms such as my own.

quote:

I am called a blood sucking monster, but at least I take what I need to survive. This man simply takes it for power. As tempting as it is to assume that any who draw the ire of the church are underdogs and potential allies, if half of what is said about this man is true I would do better to have nothing to do with him.

A formidable enemy, and in many ways more of a direct threat to me than the king I am rebelling against. But her responsibilities are many and vast, and I can only hope that she will be far too preoccupied to give our own rebellion her full attention. It would be far too much to hope that she choke to death on a chicken bone between now and then, one supposes.

quote:

Lucius
Assassins are nearly as bad as spies. And considering my current somewhat... irreplaceable status within our rebellion, it would be very bad for such a skilled man to be turned on me. I suppose I must be grateful that he no longer seems to work exclusively for the Crown, although it is still a troubling thought.

A dangerous man with far more resources than I would like to see turned against me. Doubtless, one of the messages the late Lady of Mistfall's children have sent was to him; I can only hope he remains as he is, concerning himself with his own lands.

A bit player, as far as I can tell, but once again, anyone who is contributing to the unrest in the realm is only acting to my benefit. In that sense, I wish her all success in opposing her former master.

If his inquisitor deserves to die, that goes doubly so for this wretch. He is, of course, quite out of my reach, but I would dearly love to be alone in a room with him, if only for a few seconds. It's all I'd need. Not that a vampire murdering the pope would be likely to make the church less fanatical in its practices, of course. But it remains a nice thought.

Another enemy, although one less likely to be directly arrayed against me than Voss. A concern, but not the greatest of my concerns.

Obviously, if the pope himself wants this woman dead so badly, she must be doing something right. Or at the very least, disruptive. Why anyone the least bit magical would voluntarily go to a country like Sevvran, I cannot say -- the wind she's being guided by does not seem to have all her best interests at heart.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 11, 2016

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
The Opinions of a Mindflayer cont'd

Sitting among his pigeon coops, the Prince softly lectures his pigeons on the developing intrigues of the nation --they were just as likely to understand as the inhabitants of the Slums. "Ah, many more of you have come of late, bearing many new tidings. When the cat's away, the mice will play, it seems. The Inquisition has crept out of their little hidey-hole, led by Grand Inquisitor Karl Vondevan and is stirring up trouble. For now, the Slums remain impenetrable to his reach, for no overt enough heresies have sprouted here to warrant his attention. No one cares about old Menocchio's simile of the cheese and the worms, least of all the Grand Inquisitor. Still, if a bread trail could lead the Grand Inquisitor elsewhere, that would be beneficial to my cause. Mice blinded by hunger will pursue any food, no matter if it's poisoned, or leads them into to a trap." The Prince makes a disturbing gurgling sound, which passes for a guffaw among the Illithid.

"Then there's news of a new crime boss in Brion, one Octavia 'Juice' Jagerpfaltz. Some of her brews have made it to the Slums through the Black Market, and they're like spices for the brain, quite intriguing. From what I've heard of her she's a bit of a brute, who hasn't quite fit into her new position all that well. If she manages to climb to the top of Brion, she'd be someone to work with. Up until then, no real concern of mine." He tugs away the message with her name on it into one of the deepest pockets of his robes --this is where he stored things of potential future importance. The pigeons cooed, expecting more food, but he silenced them with a mental glare. "Don't get greedy now. All in it's time. All in it's time."

The Prince picks up another minute scroll, the handwriting barely legible. "Ugh, Kobolds. Their brains are barely big enough to serve as appetizers, and it belies their overall intelligence. That Kezak had been their former leader only belabors the point. Still, there's rumors that part of the reason why the iron mines were shut down when they were, is that they'd almost delved into the subterranean city of Ghaaz, so the Kobolds might well be easily contacted and cowed. Their kind naturally fears mine. Their recent acquisition of this many explosives makes me a little hesitant to venture out personally, and I abhor the use of black powder, so I see no need to trade with them. It's so messy. Even if a scrambled brain is nice every now and then, I don't want to have to scrape my meals off the tunnel walls."

"Speaking of aberrant feeding methods," the Prince grabs up the final scroll, this one written in the strange, archaic handwriting common to Mistfall, "Valas the Last has risen from hiding to claim her piece of the bloody pie." Another disturbing gurgle. "I've lost count how many kings and queens we're up to now. Just enough, I reckon." The pigeons cooed in agreement. "De Wulfe's armies will be spread dangerously thin quelling all these rebellions, leaving the capital only sparsely guarded. There's no danger here. I should send this Valas a messenger to thank her and to encourage her to do all she can to free her poor provincials from the oppression of Sevvran. I doubt she drinks pigeon blood, though who knows what she must have endured in hiding for so long..." That being said, the Prince rises from where he was sitting and quickly checks the position of his hood and shawl in the small hand-mirror he always had on him. "Time to get out of hiding myself."

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Lucius

Lucius is just another tool that the corrupt royalty uses to keep their interests in line. No doubt that he would have already been dispatched to end my own life if the situation had been any different, and he would have complied without any consideration other than the size of his payment. Despicable.

This man frightens me. Not because I feel that he could threaten me or mine, but because he stands as an example of what I could become. I must remain vigilant.

Verenas of Talrimas

I have no doubt that it was Verenas who disregarded my pleas for help, who would rather watch my people die than trouble himself with their defense. Niloufarian blood stains his hands, and I will see him dead for the slaughter he allowed to perpetuate.

A man who came to my aid, but also one who could also spell the end of all I have accomplished. I must keep an eye on him, if such a thing is even possible.

I have conversed with demons, and I can speak with all confidence that the church is mistaken in their labeling of the Undying as such. Regardless, with their natural resitences they could prove to be quite the threat to my plans. I must find an ally against them, and the sooner I do so the better off I will be.

Here is a man who would have me burn for the sacrifices I have made, all while turning a blind eye to my people's struggle. The very image of religious oppression, it is with unbridled anticipation that I look forward to his early demise at my hand. At the very least, it would allow so many a sigh of relief.

The mad leader of bandits, there is no possibility for an alliance here. If she is wise, she will stay out of my way. If she is not, I will deal with her like the criminal she is.

Valas the Last

They call her a "monster" and treat her as some sort of murderous beast. But to eyes freed from bigotry and fear, she is nothing by another individual trying to do her best for her people. And while there are those who would condemn her thirst for blood, can't the same be said for our King? Or are his military campaigns somehow less violent then her feedings?

A small lizard-man who sells munitions? Perhaps there was a time where his wares would have interested me. But I have long since moved past such trivial forms of defense.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Gotta say I'm really quite amused/pleased with the near to universal condemnation of Orignoxfes. There have been some great zingers nestled among your reactions like this one, and I'm enjoying the reading immensely.

Gazetteer posted:

Candid opinions on notable persons, from Valas the Last, self styled vampire queen of Mistfall:

A bloated, gluttonous wyrm, demanding to be fed ever more on the threat of devouring his own subjects would make a very biting metaphor for Sevvran imperialism and conquest. It really is an appalling shame that this creature is not simply a metaphor.

Kobolds are basically gnomes with scales, which really does nothing to change their taste. These seem to have discovered the use of gunpowder, which means someone took the time to teach them and wait until they stopped blowing themselves up enough to send them out into the world. I look forward to finding wherever it is these come from and engaging in profitable discourse or roasting them all alive for purposes of deliciousness.

Valas the Last

A chilled dish long served. I'm intrigued. On the one hand vampires are rare enough that the successful capture of a live one would make for a rare and potent delicacy, but on the other the wretched things are able to taint and convert entire regions with poisonous ease. The little and weak ones are pretty worthless to eat anyway, being even worse than ordinary dead flesh. Probably best to burn them all and eat their king, which common draconic wisdom holds as being good practice for just about everything.

A useful little tidbit that's honest about her own tastes and need for violence. Not squeamish about doing darksome deeds or snatching captives for my larder, and I do so enjoy the flavors her brews impart. Very subtle, slightly spicy with a mellowing feeling on the tongue.

Sounds crunchy. I wonder if the infamous anti-magic will come out solid or semi-liquid. Probably worthless and beyond my attention in every case otherwise though.

The terms of the agreement signed by Leopold I himself are quite clear, "Pay regular taxes, make a fair effort not to eat too many people." There's a reason Sahalnir does nothing but blather and make threatening noises about me as opposed to anything else. Churchmen are just as easily baked alive into confections as the rest of you tiny morsels, and he remembers the last time a cleric got stroppy in my territory.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Sasha Snowdrake

Epicurius posted:

"Ay, I know o' these inquisitors. Irrelevant gnats they used ta be, but with Pope Lard in charge they've gotten mighty bold, an' probably the folk who'll try and put his ogre hatred into action. HAH, well, if this pasty lil' boy comes and tries to ever tie me to a burnin' stake, I guess I'll just hafta beat 'im to death with it!"

Oi come an' get me if ya can, kid!

TheTatteredKing posted:

The New Boss

"Been hearin' there's some juicer gatherin' a bunch o' criminal to her cause. Now, I certainly can't fault anyone for some good natured experimental brewin', and in fact would tip my hat in support if I had one. Can't much agree with turnin' to petty criminals for lackeys tho, they's untrustworthy as they come an' liable to stab ye in the back the first chance they get. An' then we'd be missin' one perfectly good alchemist, ay wouldn't we?"

Got some o' that for me too, hun?

Gazetteer posted:

Valas the Last

"Heh, vampires. Haven't met one for myself, but I've heard the tales o' those who have. Drink blood, strong, fairly long lived like us ogres. Oi, the main difference seems ta be that they're all snotty because of it, with all their aristocratic trappings an' what have ya. A real waste o' their abilities if ya just sit in some gloomy mansion and do nothin' but plot if ya ask me! All that kinda thing does is gettin' yer species obliterated."

"But ye, if the rumours 'bout some long lost vampire scion or what have ya are true, I'd like to see if the stories concernin' their skills have any truth to them at all. Other than that, have fun' liberatin' yer people or reinvigoratin' yer race or whatever it is ya want ta achieve! Have no particular qualms 'bout helpin' out if the pay's right, either."

wrassle/work

GoldenJoe posted:

"There's a game my crew an' I like ta play with kobold merchants. In it we bet on how many times they lower the price for their goods if we just stand there an' leer at them without sayin' anythin', just glarin' at 'em in complete silence and seein' how low their own fear gets 'em to pull their askin' price. So yeh, whilst I can't respect the snivelin' cowards at all, they often have good stuff for sale an' even at a reasonable price too. An' this one in particular, well, there ain't an ogre worth their salt who doesn't like a good explosion, HAH!"

Bombs: Yes. Kobolds: No

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

berenzen posted:

I remember that unholy conflagration. I was only a young Drake but even then I was left astounded at your foolishness. Has four centuries been enough time to batter some sense into you? Aside from your protection of overland trade, there really isn’t much your broken land’s have to offer and despite your skills, I already have an exclusive mercenary contract.

Epicurius posted:

It’s always been my experience that when a religion devolves into an inquisition, it’s time to diversify the portfolio for a few decades. Whether a success or a failure, the return on investment is going to get smaller and smaller. It doesn’t help that Mr Vondevan is unfortunately a bit too into the whole thing. Maybe my good friend Sahalnir will act as some sort of counter-balance and keep the whole thing running profitably, but I suspect not.

TheTatteredKing posted:

Octavia "Juice" JagerpfaltzThe New Boss

You’ve made an admirable start for yourself two-legger and I think you have the potential to go far. With a bit of legalese here and there and some basic adherence to currently existing laws we can even see about having your product be fully legal for resale purposes; I even know about a few military contractors who would be very interested in your skill set. There are a few other areas I am concerned about though; modernisation, expansion, raw materials, logistics, market acquisition, yes, we’ll need a solid plan going forward before any commitments can be made. I’ll have a slot opened for you next week so you can make you’re pitch.

Gazetteer posted:

Valas the LastSelf Styled Queen of Mistfall

The short lives of most two-leggers make it so difficult to take them seriously. I’m quite intrigued to know of one with the potential of a Dragons lifespan. There are a number of... political concerns, but I see much potential in Mistfall’s economic future when those concerns are dealt with. Care to discuss it over a drink?

GoldenJoe posted:

A Kobold? Intriguing. A merchant? Wonderful! I see a great amount of potential in your unique product young Kezak, especially in these times of trial. I’ll offer you a very good return if you sign me as your sole business partner on the surface, one your dear friend Draahzin doesn’t have to find out about. While we’re having this discussion, is there anything you’re interested in purchasing? I hear Ghaaz is in need of some cheap construction supplies.

Lucius
I typically don’t make use of assassins; if they’re dead it’s very difficult to make them pay (though not impossible, a skill a certain young tax collector has yet to learn), and you would be even more out of pocket with the rates dear Lucius demands. In all my meetings with the man when the King could not pay personally, he never seemed like the arbitrary type. Perhaps young Lucius will accept some form of retainer?

Bad for business. Very bad for business.

Verenas of Talrimas
Another one of Dragonbane’s servants. However, he is not some blind follower like some of her other supporters are and I even have a good line of business with him, supplying military equipment and surplus for the war effort. I shall have to play this line carefully in the coming weeks; perhaps young Verenas could be enticed with a job in the civilian sector?

My, aren’t you a slippery one? There are so very few two-leggers I can respect fully but Ludwig is one of them. Often, when I am in need of a diplomatic tongue I ask Ludwig to intervene on my behalf and in exchange he gets some very competitive rates. If he makes good on his intention’s to stay out of the fighting, I will likely end up parking some of my more fragile assets in his territory.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Lavelle's Journal

Further Players

berenzen posted:

Such power the Naziri must have had, warping the land, and themselves. Their visage bothers me not a whit - only access to their secrets.

Epicurius posted:

A meteoric rise to the highest ranks of oppression, empowered to hunt sorcerers without limit...little Karl will be sure to get extra torture before he dies. I should raze Vallen's Rest merely on principle.

TheTatteredKing posted:

A mere girl commanding a chunk of the underworld. Good for her. There's such delicious rage in her. It should be nurtured.

Gazetteer posted:

Valas the Last

Another secret queen, if if a newer vintage, and filled with supernatural power. She too struggles against the oppressor. We can be strong allies, even if not fast friends. Quite...fussy.

GoldenJoe posted:

Such strange little creatures, kobolds are, hiding away in their underground cities. Let them stay removed from our affairs, as long as they continue to produce such useful products.

Further Pawns

We are neighbors in the shadow, he and I, and I occasionally have heard his passage. He follows the coin now, predictable enough. Skill, certainly, but I would never pay his asking price.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Everybody wants him dead. Fine, let him draw their attention, let them kill him, as long as his knowledge can pass to me.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Verenas of Talrimas

Dangerous for being a militarist, yet he supports the Wolf, which suits my ends.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

berenzen posted:

A loyal supporter of my father, under my brother, distrust seems to have spread between these demons and our family. Perhaps I can repair that in the future. The demons are useful allys, though ones that come with a great deal of trouble from the common people and the church. The matter is a confusion.

No.

Epicurius posted:

Despite my faith, I have a hard time believing the Inquisition is truly acting with the will of the gods. Surely the light of Vallensius alone would be enough to show the truth or falseness of ones soul, and any truly blessed by them would have the same gift. The methods the Inquisition is going to find heretics and defend themselves against any accusations are... troubling. We have no need of this.

Haha, good one.

TheTatteredKing posted:

The New Boss

Who?

No.

Gazetteer posted:

Valas the Last

Its difficult to credit tales of a vampire queen rising up to overthrown the Sevvran appointed governors. It seems rather more likely that the peasants revolted and put a descendant of the last ruler back on their throne after poor treatment. By all accounts the land is filled with monsters and horror, but no one would ever willingly put a vampire in control of them. Like with Hissan, this is another sad case where I think the best solution is obvious. Grant the ruler the people want, as long as they answer to their rightful overlord.

I should like to meet this new 'Queen' of Mistfall, to discuss matters, and to see if these tales of her are true. A vampire, ha. But they do say she's a rare beauty...

Definitely.

GoldenJoe posted:

Do we concern ourselves with the politics of the Kobolds? Getting someone selling bombs to everyone out of our kingdom and back into his own city, or else killing him seem like our best choices here.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Just three more days, and it looks like we'll have even more players than first promised! Personally I'm thrilled with that choice, everyone has submitted such brilliant character's that I can't even imagine being in Yami's shoes and having to choose.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

The Words of the Prophet

quote:

Valas the Last

Night will and shall not fall on our world. The dead do not deserve to rule over the living. She's as illegitimate a queen as she is twisted and evil - clearly in service to the Great Enemy. She numbers among many that must be destroyed before the final days arrive, lest she lend hordes of vampires to the Fallen's cause. It's something of a disapointment that she must be cleansed from the land, I'll admit... I can only imagine the stories she could tell. Judgement: Sinner

quote:

This creature abandoned its role, but yet still has dedicated itself to fire and the winds of change. I must admit it presents something of a quandary - on the one hand, it's a clear menace and, aside from the value its bombs present - I can scare imagine how effective I could make them, should Ra'Loah grant me Its Might - it needs not exist. On the other, imagining it reclaiming its rightful destiny, re-seizing its homeland, providing munitions and armaments in an alliance with my Queen... an interesting idea. I hope it chooses wisely. Judgement: Sinner

quote:

I've worked as an apothecary before - from what I understand based on what I've heard of her and her consumables, she's a true savant with chemicals and concoctions. A shame she's dedicated her life to such a pointless role - she exists solely to be swept away by someone else, her career as fleeting as the crimelord before her. She's dedicated her life to sin, and she'll meet a fate that suits her decadence. That said, I quite like her hat. Judgement: Sinner

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 13, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Bonus Blurb (I totally didn't forgot to attach any mini-prompts to her earlier, honest!)

The Windspeaker:
Kezak, Glorious Draahzin's Bomb Merchant, this strange woman not only completely ignored your sales pitch, she also got you to shut up instantly by saying something you didn't want known out loud, despite it being your first meeting. What was it, and what kind of trouble did it bring you in?
Valas the Last, the Windspeaker has been snooping around in your corner of Sevvran. What do you think she's looking for?
Octavia "Juice" Jagerpfaltz, what about this foreigner completely drives you up the wall?
Grand Inquisitor Karl Vondevan, you've been pursuing this heretic for a while now. It's pretty clear that she could escape you whenever she pleases, but she hasn't yet. Do you think there's a point to this? Or is it just a game?
Thanda, Dervish of the Desolate Wastes, the Windspeaker has stolen something important from you. What was it? Why did she take it?

Also, just to remind people:

:siren: Picks on Friday! Get your apps done, to those who haven't yet! :siren:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Octavia "Juice" Jagerpfaltz, what about this foreigner completely drives you up the wall?

I can't decide what to think of her. When I chanced across her she had only known me as "that nutter in the hat." She possesses much bravado, gall, or ignorance to repeat that to my face. I respect one of those things, and I was not sure it is the one she has. She certainly seemed capable. Dodged my swing without warning. And was willing to have a civilized conversation after that. We had exchanged apologies despite Red's din in my ear. Orange was rather, impressed with her moves when I tried to strike her down, and Blue wasn't liking the odds of trying to land a hit on a wind mage. Those two are always like that. I saw it prudent to get a better handle on the girl who was setting my chorus all in a fuss. Our conversion wasn't as illuminating as I hoped. I believe she has all three of those qualities that had her nearly throw her life away to my umbrella. I don't think I'd very much like being expected to be like the locals either so I don't mind that attitude. But the drat girl seems like she couldn't find a latrine in Brion with how headstrong she is about it. I very much doubt she would any breeze leading to one too, heh. At least she doesn't stink like other weirdo vagabonds. She was a nuisance, but an amusing one. I suppose if I was in the mood I wouldn't mind gawking at her backwards ways again. She'd need to show proper respect though. If she insults me again so brazenly I won't let her off so easily. Parts of me are already fuming at thinking about if anyone had seen her say that.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yami Fenrir posted:

The Windspeaker:
Thanda, Dervish of the Desolate Wastes, the Windspeaker has stolen something important from you. What was it? Why did she take it?

The Windspeaker, she stole a locket from me. It contained the engravings of my wife and child, and it is one of the few things that I have left to remember them by. It is not hard to see why she stole it, it was made from laceglass, one of the few artifacts left in the world that are made of that mythical substance. It is likely worth a king's fortune in this world, yet to me it is priceless. Age has worn away at my memory of my wife and child, and I can only barely remember their faces. The locket was one of the only ways that I have available to me to remember their faces. If I come across this Windspeaker, I will ensure that which was stolen from me is returned.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

GoldenJoe posted:

Ahh the little former king. It seems we have a glut of rulers and, if the prince keeps this conquest up, a lack of subjects. The practical arts of bomb making are lost on me, though I know a few people who can make the average detonator. More than likely I will have some call for demolition supplies, so I will put a bit on the ledger aside for him. The only problem is what his arrival says about the situation under ground. I do not think it bodes particularly well if they are fleeing to here of all places.

Epicurius posted:

Ah, Karl. The boy would have difficulty blending in in a Monastry he is that Pious. It is a shame that it is not more based around giving back to others. His faith sustains him and moves him, but he acts as if his way encompases all others. A fanatic, not as frothing at the mouth or as mysterious as some of them that have been appearing of late, but he deserves watching. Maybe he can even do some good.

TheTatteredKing posted:

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Her prior employer was a dangerous man to cross and Juice is dangerously similar and dangerously different at the same time. Here nueroses give her a perspective that leaves any attempt to second guess her movements and plans constantly shifting. I try and ensure that my people are well compensated and alive, it is why I don't send many of them into her territroy without good reason.

Gazetteer posted:

Valas the Last

The dead have risen and are fighting the kingdom. Wonderful. Obviously most are familiar with the old legends that come out of the darker lands, but in this case? The lady herself seems more concerned with convincing herself of the truth than her followers. I sympathise, it is all too easy to believe in something, whilst the person whom you hold in such regard is riven with doubts.

berenzen posted:

I remember him. His people have a story similar to mine in it's own way. But he's a very different sort of leader. Fiercer and angrier for one. A talented warrior and an obviously competent leader, I am grateful that he seems more concerned with far off things than anything immediate in arks landing.

Ahh yes, the old kings favored tool for dealing with those that would not listen to reason. I understood why he kept him even if I didn't like it. We both work similar jobs, and under similar circumstances, but Lucius is far more driven than I am. Lucius himself is a professional though, so I know that he is not going to get any of the kingdoms people killed unless he is being paid a staggeringly high amount for it.

quote:

My best women are already tracking this abomination across the land, if I have even a wiff of him he will be stuffed and gibbetted before he can call on any of his spell work.

quote:

Verenas of Talrimas

A nobleman, but perhaps not the worst of his kind. I know his sort though, and they are generally more concerned with glory and loyalty to bad causes than reassessing and seeing what is truly in the best interests of all of the people. Still I have found little on him thus far, perhaps I should start to look a bit more closely.

quote:

I have already said my piece on the snake who I am sure is two snakes, but I know a dangerous man and a threat to the safety of the kingdom and peoples lives. He is watched.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
The Hidden King

Hmm whats this? Ah thank you, the latest reports from the agents out in the field. Now lets see....

Worrisome. Grand Inquisitor Karl Vondevan has been making inquiries outside his usual domain. The Inquisition's free reign is but one more thing Leopold IV must answer for. Should Karl show himself in Hissin, I'll make sure to seize the opportunity. And speaking of opportunities...yes this looks promising. Kezak, Glorious Draahzin's Bomb Merchant could supply my forces with explosives. The necessary ingredients are hard to come by here and the governor has made safeguarding them a top priority. If I can tempt Kezak to overcome these difficulties, my guerilla strike will be all that much more powerful.

Valas the Last? I've never heard of these creatures before. Just another reminder to be on my guard. There are many powers out I do not know, and my own is not infallible. I don't know what to make of her, but if she will cause Sevven pain then I will give aid as I am able. And whats this? I know my alchemists are far and few after the invasion but Octavia "Juice" Jagerpfaltz? Though she does have some underworld ties...she might make a good catspaw. I'll have someone sent to make inquiries. A taste of the wealth of Hissin alchemical ingredients should do to wet her appetite and entice her to work in my favor.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Ok, I did some impressions for characters I think it's reasonably likely Artur would have heard of. Being a somewhat cloistered academic before being forced to flee, if you weren't really famous or somehow relevant to magic then it's unlikely he'd have any idea who you are. I also tried to keep these fairly short and sweet. So here we go:

Hmph, money lenders and userers will have no purpose in the world I will build, however the chance to Shape a dragon would be interesting indeed.

There are many Archeans in the Colleges, and more than once when I was lost in the stacks I have overheard them whisper thinking they were alone. They share rumors of a return of a High Sorceress. If the rumors are true, perhaps she can act as one of the forces draw the eyes of the Church and the Inquisition away from my work until it is too late. Of course, it will enflame the populace against magic, but when I am done the people will think as I wish them to think, so it is of no concequence.

If the Church cannot find her, perhaps I can turn them onto the scent, subtly of course.

In my time at the colleges, with my… interests, I moved in certain circles. Circles devoted to things the Church might consider forbidden magic. A persistent rumor in said circles spoke of a noble lacking the Gift, who had somehow unlocked a dark and potent magic. It was outside my sphere of study, and the idea of a mundane using magic was nonsense.

An old war dog famous enough that even I have heard of him. He seems likely to be a thorn in my side. That said, I would forge him into a beautiful weapon if I ever got my hands upon him, he is truly wasted in the service of any other. He might think otherwise, but that is a correctable flaw.

That thing? I’ve heard tell of it, but I’ve never been to the capital, much less the area. It is perhaps an interesting experiment to study if I suddenly have a huge surplus of time and power, I wonder if my powers would work upon it?

Taxes, that’s something for people who have money like the Colleges, nothing I’ve ever been concerned with.

Worthless filth, his disgusting inquisition would have burned me at the stake after torturing me nearly to death. They claim I am the abomination, it is laughable in the extreme. Before this is done, I will tear the belief from his mind, I will twist him until I am his only god and he curses and forsakes whatever he once believed. That he will fear, for death holds no terror for a death-worshiping zealot like him. I can almost imagine his voice singing my praises, it will be a great day indeed what that comes to pass.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Yami Fenrir posted:

Grand Inquisitor Karl Vondevan, you've been pursuing this heretic for a while now. It's pretty clear that she could escape you whenever she pleases, but she hasn't yet. Do you think there's a point to this? Or is it just a game?

Heresy is no game. Sorcery is no game. No, there's a point to her actions. This is her way to mock the Faith. She's taunting us. And by doing it, she's proving her wickedness. Listen, if she were honest, she'd have nothing to fear from the Church. Good, honest people never do. Listen, we're not intolerant people, and she's not from Sevvran. We realize that foreigners often have distorted faiths. It's not their fault. It's the fault of their ancestors who turned away from Vallensius. Let her come to us. Let us examine her beliefs, and help her sort out what's true from what's false. If she won't do that, that's just confirming that she's not acting honestly; that she's here under false pretenses.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

Valas the Last, the Windspeaker has been snooping around in your corner of Sevvran. What do you think she's looking for?

That's quite hard to say. Numerous antiquities and valuables were lost during and after the invasion. They say the High Priestess escaped the capital with Lady Moon's Diadem, hoping to hide it from the invaders. Neither she nor the diadem were ever seen again. Supposedly, when worn under a full moon, it could grant the wearer uncommon insight, and other less intangible abilities. The vampire kings and lords before me were long-lived enough to have accumulated numerous such oddities, but that was certainly the most precious of them to be lost. If that were her goal, I would be most displeased; it is a national treasure, after all.

More likely it's some other trinket or artifact ferreted away in an abandoned mine or some poor, murdered lord's hidey hole. She should be careful about where she looks. There's a lot worse than silver under some of these mountains. My attempts to have her followed have not met with particular success, unfortunately.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Completely revamped my Steppe Lord from top to bottom. Will be providing a more concrete answer later on regarding Verenas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Oh man, countdown is running!

• Locked thread