Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Posting interest as well. Thinking some kind of telepath, maybe a minor baron seeking more power or an underworld crime lord tightening his control on the shadows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin
Flame of the Resistance, Last of his Line, The Hidden King

Kurt Hissin fled the burning palace, with only a few of his retainers. In the distance the sounds of fighting were dying down as the last remnants of his fathers army either died, surrendered, or fled. There was one last farewell mentally from his father as he met his death, fighting. No time for tears as they rode for the mountains, but enough to vow revenge. In the coming days the countryside was scoured by Leopold IV's army but they did not know the hidden places of the mountains, nor did they find the hidden fallback point of the royal family. From here, Kurt was able to reach out and find the minds of those still loyal and willing to fight. "I live, and the kingdom lives on though me. We shall bear the injustices of these tyrants...for a time. They may search long and hard but they will not find me. In time they will grow complacent. And we will spend that time growing strong. And then...then I shall have my vengeance."

The gift had never been a strong one before in his family. The reaching and speaking to minds had been its main use. But in the hidden vale and fortress, Kurt found his power growing beyond that. Was it from his mother, who no one knew? His father had returned from his youth of adventuring with a babe in his arms and brooked no questions. Rumors of adoption flew but as Kurt grew the resemblance was plain, and there were no detractors after he showed the gift. Was it the burning desire of vengeance, fueling his gift? The gift had never been practiced or pushed to its limits like he has done. Perhaps the potential was always there. Or maybe it was the flowers in the vale, eaten as he and his retainers starved waiting for food to arrive as the fighting died down. There was that one strange flower, from near the grave of the first leader of Hissin, the one who had led them there.

It has been a few years now. The scattered soldiers of his father were shepherded to safety. His agents roam the kingdom, managing safehouses, supply stashes, and hidden compounds. When opportunity shows itself, harassing strikes are launched on the supply lines. The governors men, slain, for the governor himself is protected by wards of magic. The merchants, taking Hissins riches, robbed. The Hidden King has bided his time well and as the Sevvran grows and expands from Leopold IV"s conquering, it has stretched itself further and further. And he means to find its breaking point.

---

Psionic Gift[+4] Long said to be the gift of a great spirit, the royal line of Hissin has carried in its blood the great mental power. It didn't save his father, but there was never a need to train it for any kind of fighting. Kurt on the other hand has sought to master it to its full potential. He can speak mind to mind with distant people, coordinating his agents and forces. The loyalty of his men has been assured, for no disloyal thoughts could escape his probing. When patrols would near his hiding place they were turned aside, their minds clouded or controlled. And the few times strong individuals of power had found their way to him, he destroyed them with bolts of pure mental energy.

King in Hiding[+4] Born the heir apparent, Kurt was trained in the manners of statecraft, war, and fighting. As the only surviving member of the royal family, the people of Hissin regard him as their rightful king and ruler. Kurt has spent his time since his kingdom was conquered guiding and growing his forces in secret. A network of guerilla fighters, alchemists, and spies are spread throughout his old kingdom, waiting to aid him in his fight.

Vengance[-2] Another kingdom sacked. Another new area to govern for Sevvan. But for Kurt it was his kingdom, his people and it will be his vengance! For years he has grown his powerbase, building up his network of guerilla fighters, securing funds in various accounts in Sevvan, minor raids on supply trains and isolated patrols. But recent events in Sevvan has shown him that the large empire it had become is riddled with cracks, starting to break. Opportunity has arrived, after all this time. He knows that any major activity on his part will bring reprisal. But whats one more flame among so many? Sevvan cannot fight them all.

---

Hissin

The small mountain kingdom of Hissin was founded fairly recently, as kingdoms go, by refugees from a war far to the east. Traveling far, they were guided by power of their leader, who could read their thoughts and sooth any conflicts that arose. He had had a vision of a great valley and bountiful forests, that they soon found to be true. Once they settled in they found the mountains rich in resources and Hissin quickly grew, fueled by an influx of trade. Trade and peace treaties had secured her borders, until the coming of Leopold IV's conquering army. The once bustling kingdom was reduced to squalor, acting mostly now as a large resupply depot, funneling and protecting the logistics of Leopold IV's far flung army

Bounty of the Mountains[+4] Gold, silver, and even rare platinum resides in the mountains of Hissin, along with a collection of alchemical ingredients and caves. The export and control of these resources were what allowed the small kingdom to thrive. Though her conquerors claim most of this bounty now, many secrets places were kept from them, waiting to be tapped or used.

Conqured[-2] The fighting was fierce and little quarter was given. The vast majority of fighting age men died, villages destroyed, and the capital mostly destroyed. Though Hissin has had time to recover, it is still mostly in shatters save for the capitol and a few surrounding cities.

Quornes fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 16, 2016

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

Kurt Hissin

Really liked the inclusion of the material I provided (not just you, but in general - of course yours is most heavily drawing on it.)

As with the Prince of Pigeons, I just want to be sure you're okay with what your flaw does to you. I mean, yes, you apped it, but it's easy to take a weakness for fluff reasons and then realize how un-fun and restrictive it can be.

Ignore what I PM'd you earlier, I've thought of a better one.

Lost Cause[-2] Many of the conquered dream of freedom. Many mighty kingdoms fell and are now occupied by Sevvan. But Hissin is a small kingdom, still recovering from its wounds. Its also a major part of the logistics backing Leopold IV's far flung army, well guarded and fortified. Any rebellion here would need massive power, forces, and allies to succeed. While many may sympathize with Kurt's dream of a free Hissin, he will have a hard time finding allies and supporters outside of his countrymen who believe his fight stands a chance. That is not to say there won't be those willing to help(or use) the rebellion, but Kurt will need to take special care to incite their aid.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
The Hidden King

The time draws near. Sevven has shown her weakness, Leopold IV's conquering army causing her to overextend to the breaking point. The cracks are showing, and I am not the only player that seeks to see her asunder, whether for personal gain or any other noble or ignoble purpose. My own position relies on my peoples tenacity, and my ability to coordinate my wide spread forces battles. In any up fight with the full force of Sevvan we would be crushed, but if we light enough fire their nation shall crumble before they put out the flame of my rebellion. And to light to the flame I must seek others out, make deals and alliances. Strike down my enemies and rewards my friends. For once Sevvan is in ruin and they busy themselves like carrion birds on its corpse, Hissin shall stand tall among the ashes, already strong and well secured.

But I get ahead of myself. For now that is but a distant future. Hard work is what will take me there.

Glaumdrang Wealth-Checker is a dragon and a dragon's greed is well known. He's upheld their banking and financial institutions for longer than Hissin has been around. How would he react should Sevven fall? Likely he'd simply take what he could for his hoard. And if he could be convinced to help it fall, well the more gold for him. However I'm not sure what to make of Prince Orignoxfes, Elder Dragon. The old worm hasn't been very active from what I can tell and he already has his own little gnome fiefdom. I'm not quite sure what I could do to tempt him to help in all the instability.

There are also those who I might outright to aid in my fight. Kiris-Or would make an excellent spymaster among my forces. I'm sure with his skill and my abilities there would be no secret left to hide from us. The only question being if I could trust him. Sasha Snowdrake meanwhile is quite brash and prone to fighting, but her soldiers would form a valuable backbone to my army. I definitely have the coin to afford her, but would she even accept my offer in the first place?

Next hmm....there are always the religious. I find myself of no faith particularly but I do know how it can grip a man, hold his mind in thrall and allow him to do the most unspeakable things with clear conscience. Samarah Ka Qismah can rally people to her cause, but doesn't have much in the way of resources nor powerbase as I have heard. Offers of gold, safehouses, and support could turn her cause into a thorn in Sevven's side. Meanwhile Sudden Clarity and her monks will be a thorn in my side. The usually peaceful order has decided to throw in with Sevvan. They...are not to be underestimated.

Hissin was the not only kingdom conquered. Nor am I the only noble who might be fighting against Sevven. Lavelle Ingernassa wields power most potent in the form of sorcery, and many would do well to stay on her good side. So I shall give her no cause for trouble. Indeed, we should time our efforts to rise up together. The more fires, the harder it will be fore Sevven to fight them. I believe I could trust her. Can the same be said of Count Edvard Marcel Borde, Lord of Niloufar? What power did he gain to finally make headway against the orcs attacking his lands? I have found nothing concrete, yet when I sweep my mental gaze his way I see...a strange, unsettling taint. I know not what deals he's made or what he might of sacrificed. A useful catspaw, nothing more. And lastly, Leona Sevvran. I met her once at a party, before the old king died. We may of been better off had she assumed the throne, and likely she now thinks the same. Of course she would not take kindly to any plans to destroy Sevvan, but she need not know that.

While many stand against Sevvan, some are just as bad, or unknown to me. I can not trust them, but I might use them. And hope to not burn myself in the process. Anathema, the ancient tyrant has been seen again. Said to have gilded tongue, I might treat with her but must steel my will. The hordes of Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin, the "peacekeepers". Enticing them to strike Sevvan should pose no problem, provided I can show them the bait. Getting them to leave again is a whole other matter. Thanda and his undying lot...well I'm not quite sure of their motivation. But they gear themselves for war and so must be counted in on the fighting. I have heard tales of Amerigo Hieronymus and his greed. I believe he needs no help from me to start picking the carcass of Sevvan as she falls. Marvelous Magnus's Magic Sword remains a fairy tale as far as I can tell. The thought of such a weapon does entice me. Artur “The Sculptor” Regios? Never heard of him. Lord Commander Viktor Von Voss shall remain a shield of Sevvan, no matter what I do. But he will fall in the fighting to come, this I swear. Finally The Prince of Pigeons remains an unknown character to me. But I have had chance to see the mind of one of his agents, and saw the signs of a gift not unlike my own. I know no more than that about him however.

---

As for the other major players....

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe...the cause of my fathers death. In his dying moments he told me how his attackers in the palace had made use of the secret passages. Our two kingdom had had many parties to celebrate our trade and peace, and it was no secret my father and Lady Beatrice de Wulfe would often be together. It was rumored they were lovers. Some even said she was my mother, from my father's old adventuring days. Whatever the case, she'll have no love from me. Just death.

Petra Asfaran, the Wolf's Pup would be the perfect catspaw against her former mentor. Her death would be all the sweeter at the hands of her former pupil.

Pope Sahalnir XI has created a division in Sevvan and one I'd love to exploit. The man is no fool though, to have gotten where he has gotten and survived. I must take care.

The Windspeaker is an enigma. But I might make use of her, if just as a bargaining chip with the pope.

Lucius is not a man I would trust. He tried to find me once. Whether to kill me or offer his services I don't know, nor would I take the chance. My agent made him aware of my awareness and he simply left.

Amporus, Heresy Incarnate...I swore vengance, but would I go so far as to try and use this man? He's more likely to feast on my struggling kingdom than strike Sevvan.

Verenas of Talrimas, one more roadblock on the path of Sevvan's destruction. But a powerful one. He will bleed like the rest of them.

Ludwig of Urios, the Snake could prove useful. But never a man I could trust.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
The Hidden King

Hmm whats this? Ah thank you, the latest reports from the agents out in the field. Now lets see....

Worrisome. Grand Inquisitor Karl Vondevan has been making inquiries outside his usual domain. The Inquisition's free reign is but one more thing Leopold IV must answer for. Should Karl show himself in Hissin, I'll make sure to seize the opportunity. And speaking of opportunities...yes this looks promising. Kezak, Glorious Draahzin's Bomb Merchant could supply my forces with explosives. The necessary ingredients are hard to come by here and the governor has made safeguarding them a top priority. If I can tempt Kezak to overcome these difficulties, my guerilla strike will be all that much more powerful.

Valas the Last? I've never heard of these creatures before. Just another reminder to be on my guard. There are many powers out I do not know, and my own is not infallible. I don't know what to make of her, but if she will cause Sevven pain then I will give aid as I am able. And whats this? I know my alchemists are far and few after the invasion but Octavia "Juice" Jagerpfaltz? Though she does have some underworld ties...she might make a good catspaw. I'll have someone sent to make inquiries. A taste of the wealth of Hissin alchemical ingredients should do to wet her appetite and entice her to work in my favor.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
TheNabster, you forgot to do your rolls. While Viktor can fortify his supply lines, hes not going to get to Hissin for some awhile giving Kurt's agents time to sabotage the existing supply lines if thats what you meant.

Quornes fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 26, 2016

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Yeah Kurts not happy. He needed attention elsewhere. Viktor is going to arrive and find the governor dead.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
So I'm not sure how Kurt is supposed to respond to Samarah's action. Is she just sending him a vision, or is it something to defend against being supernaturally converted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
poo poo happens. Was fun

• Locked thread