Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
EDIT: Ver 2.0

Lord Commander Viktor Von Voss

"Before we begin here, let me inform you of my credentials."

"50 years in the service of the Sevvran Legion from private to sergeant all the way up to a full blown commander, I have seen action in every corner of this continent from the last two dragon wars to the full duration of the Dark Empire's final collapse. I fought every bugger within a hundred miles of Sevvran for king and country and for this honour I was made into Lord Commander of the Legions by his majesty Leopold III in recognition for my continued service. I respected his majesty and I didn't hesitate for a moment about the righteousness of our causes, he was a good king and that was all there was to it.

"His son... I was present for the conquest of Hissin and even led the assault on the palace, and in the annexing of the Red Desert harrying of our supply lines would have crippled us were it not for several surgical strikes ordered by me. But we have pushed too far, too fast, and we are starting to buckle under the strain of managing this empire. I tried to inform his majesty of this eventuality, cautioned him to consolidate our current holdings but he didn't seem to want listen to my council like his father would have and after the last military campaign was concluded I found that I was being sent on a very important assignment by the king himself. To enforce Martial Law back home in Sevvran and assist the Lady de Wulfe in her regency.

"Martial Law has been declared I was informed, I must return to Sevvran and see that order is kept, by force if necessary and such orders brooked no disobeying from the King himself. The Lady De Wulfe was one of the greatest fighters of the new generation and has requested aid to deal with dissident elements in the crown-lands. For although a demon on the battlefield she was, she could not solely handle the enemies arranged against her on her own. And so, I stepped in and between Sevvran's greatest warrior, and it's greatest tactician we have held fast against all those who would see our nation destroyed from the inside.

"And yet in my heart, I am troubled. For the first time in the history of my career I am having, doubts about the orders of my beloved king. I have studied the military histories of many nations and they tell me one thing and one thing only, a nation that extends it's borders in this manner has never stood the test of time, it always fails and in my hearts of hearts I know that if this was to occur, it would take my beloved nation with it. This course of action is unwise to the extreme, but his highness will not heed the council of his father's advisors, and no military power can match our own in equal strength. We won't be destroyed from a force without, we'll be brought down from factions from within"

"And I cannot allow our nation to be destroyed in this manner, no matter what the cost is I will defend my homeland to the death. Be it my death, or the death of some bastard who wises to see it ground into dust."

The Bear of the North [+4] Viktor Von Voss did not reach 50 years in a dangerous profession by being a bad fighter. Viktor's skill with the sword and shrewd tactical mind have made him a boon to his allies, and a man of great infamy to his enemies. A man like that is not afraid to fight dirty today, to live to see tomorrow. And everyone knows the legacy of 'The Bear', in his long and storied history as a warrior he has made a name for himself that has spread all across the world, or at least those parts of it that he might have set foot on.

Captain and Commander[+4] Even if he may have been forcibly retired from the front lines of the war, Lord Commander Von Voss is still one of the highest ranking officers in the entirety of the Royal Legion, and has his hands on so many strings that he may pull at any one time that people often suspect that he ran the foreign legion even before his official appointment. As such he can call upon almost every aspect of Sevvran's expansive military infrastructure, and even some vaguely related civil structure to attain what he may need.

Honourbound to a Fault [-2] Lord Von Voss has spent most of his adult life in military service, a role that does not offer much in the way of duplicity or subterfuge a lot of the time. As such whilst he has a good grasp of stewardship to run the backbone of an army, and knows everything about soldiering back to front he isn't home to the political manuverings that is normally part of his class. Hence why he got reassigned to a position back home without knowing about it until the orders were in his hands.

---

Arks Landing

Heart of the Empire [+2] Arks Landing, greatest of cities, first of nations, founder of empires. All roads lead to the Ark as the center of Sevvran's political and military structure and all subject nations serve it's whims.

The Crossroads of Trade [+2] And with those roads comes trade from nearly all corners of the world, The Capitol is the beating heart of commerce for hundreds of nations, thousands upon thousands of people toil endlessly to sustain the Capitol. It is said that you could get just about anything on the busy streets of Arks Landing.

Barely Holding Together [-2] And it's coming under considerable strain. The King has put all his efforts behind the conquest of his neighbors, but without his presence a lot of important functions cannot move properly, and his Regent isn't much better at handling the sprawling bureaucratic mess that is maintaining order at the center of an empire. The moment something breaks down, it will all start to break down.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Changed Von Voss from Salty Copper to Salty High Commander and Right Hand of the Regent.

Now he has more power.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Do we have any prompts to go through? I want to flex some writing muscles.

Otherwise I'm hashing out character opinions because I like that poo poo.

Spoiler alert, it involves a severe dislike of dragons, aristocrats, magic users and rabble rousers. Which is most of the cast, go figure

EDIT:

As for a title how about

"They're called revolutions, because they always come round again."

I dunno what the character limit is. But I like my Pratchett

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 8, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

From the War Journal of Lord Commander Von Voss posted:

The Players

Glaumdrang Wealth-Checker

I cannot abide bankers at the best of times, and I've fought in too many wars against dragons to be comfortable around them, the combination of both makes me extremely uneasy. Were I in my prime I would relish the chance to fight him, but these are modern times I am told and I suppose I must learn to live with them. That and he holds the finances for my entire army, bastard.

Kiris-Or, Information Broker

Never count out the military applications of spies. The Tengu are a little on the brittle side for front line soldiers, it's the hollow bones you see, but they make up for those weaknesses in ways and means beyond the conventional soldier. And he's possibly one of the few members of the political circle who will speak civilly to me.

Samarah Ka Qismah, the Chosen Prophet

Do not speak to me of Gods. I've seen far too many battlefields to be strong in faith anymore.

Artur “The Sculptor” Regios

Do not speak to me of Wizards either. I will not abide any use of magic in my army, such a capricious and dangerous force has no place on the battlefield. I have a low tolerance of wizards.

Sasha Snowdrake

Were it not for the ex-ordinate prices I would wish for an entire battalion of Ogres. And when they have a little more martial discipline then 'none at all' you cannot pound for pound hire better shock troopers in this nation. You will always be better served fighting alongside the ogres, than in front of them in any case.

Lavelle Ingernassa

The last monarch of Hissin I give some credence for being a martial man, but I will not tolerate magic-using rebels on my watch. I will see you dead if you raise one finger to these lands sorceress.

Count Edvard Marcel Borde, Lord of Niloufar

The Count does well to pull his floundering state out of the tragedy inflicted upon it and into better things, even if his political opinions are quite dangerous in the circumstances. And yet, every garrison I attempt to set up there to aid the defense suffers from inexplicable morale problems; night terrors, jumping at shadows, reported whispering in the dark. I can't seem to get any soldiers to stay there for more than a week or two, it is most perplexing.

The Prince of Pigeons

Yes I've heard the rumors, a prophet or some sort of charismatic leader within the deepest dregs of society bridging connections across Arks Landing, even all the way to the palace. It is nothing to concern ourselves with, but I have asked for a close eye to be kept on the Slums. It never hurts to be cautious in this line of work.

Kurt Hissin

Oh I do wish some people would have the good grace to not keep fighting a hopeless guerrilla war when they have been utterly and totally beaten. I have made frequent requests to lead a force to root out this man before a more considerable canker develops within our borders so close to the capitol, but I have been declined every time. The most he should expect from this point is an amnesty and a quiet retirement somewhere far, far away from here.

Sudden Clarity

I have across hundreds of battlefields and many campaigns personally seen the Monks of the Order take to the field once. Once was enough. Underestimate the fighting monks at your own peril.

Leona Sevvran, Bastard Daughter of Leopold III

Really my lady it is very unbecoming of you to be acting in this manner when you could be improving on your martial prowess. Her tenuous political position is a real cause of concern, but she is of Leopold III's lineage and so I am under orders to protect her. I can't do that all the time however, let us hope she can swim in these treacherous courtly waters.

Marvelous Magnus's Magic Sword

No.

Amerigo Hieronymus: Tariff Collector and Adventurer

Hmph! A cheat, a liar and a wastrel is the least accusation I can lay on this man. Were it not against the laws to strike down those appointed into official positions someone would have killed him a long time ago. As such he is merely a popular man in an unpopular profession, it doesn't mean I have to like him though.

Prince Orignoxfes, Elder Dragon

May you choke on your cake you salvering cur! What the king who thought of handing land to this creature was thinking is beyond me. At least the bloody banker dragon pretends he isn't a monster.

Anathema

I've heard rumours, troubling rumours, that a long dead tyrant might actually live, a long dead elf tyrant on top of everything else, bloody elves. At this moment they are merely rumours, but if they are true and the queen is reunited with her people, Sevvran will be in grave danger.

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin

A horse marauder, what is his majesty thinking giving this man authority? I tolerate him more then the Tax Collector one leader of men to another, but only just, I've lost many a good men to skirmishes against the steppe nomads and blood is difficult to wash out.

The Pieces

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe

I respect this woman as as equal. I've fought alongside her countless times, she's saved my life as many times as I have saved hers, and between The Wolf and The Bear no foe could hope to stand between the two of us! But the Regency is taking a toll on her I can tell, all those contentious parts of the court are arraying against her to unseat her official appointed position, and factions from without are targeting her to weaken this nation in his majesty's absence. I am not a savvy political maneuver myself, my training did not lend me to that life, but the first man who raises a sword against her, I will personally cut that man down.

Pope Sahalnir XI

I've never been comfortable around holy men, no veteran soldier ever is but I cannot help but dislike this man for what accusations he had layed against Lady de Wulfe. He would do well to keep in mind that whilst the most high may rule above, down here in Arks Landing the rule is me, and the first time he tries in Arks Landing what he is doing in the Red Vale, I will come for him. He knows this I suspect, and it is for the best that he keeps this well in mind.

The Windspeaker

Of no concern to my mind, she seems pretty harmless as far as enemies of the state are concerned. His Holiness Sahalnir XI seems to be bending over backwards to see this woman dead however, what does he know that we don't?

Petra Asfaran, the Wolf's Pup

What happened? I used to see the young miss around all the time, training under the Lady de Wulfe as her successor I had assumed, and they appeared to be very close to one another. I even helped occasionally, what child can say they were trained in arms by two famous heroes after all? But then she left without warning, and now she is one of the opponents arranged against the Regent. I hope against all hope that this coldness will not result in conflict, the girl has a bright future ahead of her, she should not squander it by getting involved with rebel factions.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 10, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

berenzen posted:

Thanda, Dervish of the Desolate Wastes

A worthy warrior, a tremendous fighter, and so close to necromancy that just being near it makes my skin crawl, fighting the undead was almost as bad as fighting dragons. We have extended our hand to these people before and we should not turn our backs to them, especially not when the amount of willing allies of Sevvran we can count on one hand but... I still feel incredibly uneasy in their presence.

Do you have any idea how many times people have attempted to assassinate me? Too many, that's how many times. For this reason I do not like to involve myself with assassins, especially this one.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Amporus, Heresy Incarnate

I am often asked why I am so vehemently opposed to any magical assistance in my army what so ever despite the cases for its inclusion being very reasonable and sound arguments. And I say this man, this man is why I do not suffer mages in my staff. One deserter with a sword is merely a thug, but one deserter with a spellbook is a catastrophe waiting to happen. I would hunt this man like a dog, but I am told hunting magical opponents is not within my duties and I should leave it to the church and the mages at Archor. They haven't been doing a very good job.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Verenas of Talrimas

Ah yes, my successor on the military council. The lad is good at what he does no doubts about that, and he also seeks to ensure the protection of Lady de Wulfe as I do there is no quarrel there. But I am constantly reminded of the way I had command cut out from under me, and was unceremoniously shuttled off to the capitol away from the front lines for an early retirement, like it was meant to be a reward. I don't know who exactly made that happen, but let's just say I have my suspicions of who benefited the most from it.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Ludwig of Urios, the Snake

I do not trust Aristocrats, and I especially do not trust this man. I like to keep myself away from courtly intrigues for my own personal safety more than anything else. After all, a battlefield has rules of what you can and can't do to a defeated opponent, but there are no rules in the cloak and dagger world of noble politics other than the old fashioned adage of 'Don't get caught'. And Ludwig is very good at that game.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Pope Sahalnir XI
Lord Commander Viktor Von Voss, the Pope specifically asked for your assistance in a delicate matter. What was it, and did you end up accepting his request?

A few months back when our initial push into the Red Vale was under way, I had received specific orders from his holiness to come to the aid of a mission bastion that had come under siege by hostile forces, he said that his attempts to get the King and his military council to aid them had failed and he was asking me personally for help. I saw no reason to not come to the aid of these people, for although I had merely disliked the man at the time, I did not hate him enough that I would callously let people under his command die to just spite him, and this was a minor matter in the grand scheme of things. So I rode out at the head of a small relief force (Quietly, this wasn't entirely official after all) to dispatch the rebels assaulting the bastion, and relieve the garrison.

When this was done I had entered the Bastion willingly in order to ensure that all souls indoors were safe and secure, and all was well, and then I went through a door I wasn't supposed to go through. I will not recount what exactly I had found within that dark little room but I knew at that very moment, that because of how I had handled this I would never be recount able that tale to anyone else, without proving that I had grossly broke military orders. I had been tricked into preventing a dark secret from being exposed and I was bloody furious about it, believe me.

But I will tell you this. I will not see what I found within those walls get repeated anywhere on sovereign Sevvran territory any time soon.

There are some things a man is not meant to see.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

I didn't have the time to roll at the time, being at work and all.

• Locked thread