Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
This is also an interest post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

If the reign of King Leopold IV follows his ambitions, he will be judged against just one other person throughout all of history. Anathema, the elven tyrant queen.

Even her name says her deeds. Queen Anathema. A curse. Some vile thing dedicated to evil. And the single greatest leader the world had ever known before or since, brutal statecraft that destroyed nations and unrelenting military leadership that crushed all who opposed her. Without equal in all history, she and her ravenous legions brought all the known world to heel. Her wrath engulfed a continent and the oceans that lapped at its shores, the first and only empire that reached from sea to sea. Legends say the Western Archipelago only sundered from the mainland on order of Anathema, to punish the ogres for their insolence. That the Wyvern Peaks are what was left once Anathema's wrath had passed through the fertile northlands, cursed forevermore with vile beasts to peck and destroy whoever so remained. That the orcs were banished underground at Anathema's command, never again to see the light or feel the heat of the sun on their skin. The only thing she could not defeat was time, and after her passing her empire crumbled. And even now, more than two thousand years hence, the Paramount Dominion is remembered.

Everybody knows the legend of Queen Anathema.

But this is not the whole story. Distorted by unknowledgeable historians and thousands of years since the events, the truth of the matter is quite different to what is remembered today. In legends told only among the old and elite families of Blomstregård, Queen Anathema was beloved by her people. And had, in fact, never died of old age at all. She was a particularly long-lived elf, even among her people, and her reign lasted several centuries. What brought it to an end, one that saw two centuries of decline for the Paramount Dominion before it finally crumbled, was a coup. During what came to be the last of the decennial councils of Dominion governments, provincial viziers moved against her. Not with troops, for the Imperator was a deadly fighter, but with powerful fel magics that shattered the citadel and buried the capital. The seat of Paramountcy power was lost to time, as if it never had existed at all.

But not all was as it seemed. Buried in the mountains along the far south-east of Blomstregård, recent seismic activity uncovered this long-lost tomb. And along with it, the Basilissa Anathema of Blomstregård herself. The fel magics destroyed the citadel and all who committed the treasonous plot true, but such power was also unpredictable. The Queen had not died that day, but had been frozen in place by these magics.

Anathema
Basilissa Anathema of Blomstregård, King and Queen of the East and the West, Storhertuginde of the North, Archon of the Great Southern Sea, Imperator of the Pioneer Legion and Exulted Potentate of the Paramountcy

"…everything is gone. I was sitting down with my provincial viziers debating the latest war levies when, at an unheard signal, they rose as one and slung some malign, recherché spell at me. Then in the blink of an eye the grand imperial hall, the heart of my bastion, lay in ruin around me. Its grandeur so seamlessly turned into utter decay. Acting on instinct more than anything, I had to claw my way out of the rubble with my bare hands."

"Two thousand, four hundred years. I still struggle to fully comprehend it, but it cannot argue with reality. The records in the Blomstregård archives were enough to confirm this much. I am a stranger in my own lands, lands that are no longer my home. A time is no longer my home. None of my memoirs or treatises have survived. Nothing of my legacy remains, I read 'Anathema' in a dictionary and see the word for despised evil. Anathema, recalled only in distorted myths and prejudiced, cautionary tales. All that I struggled and bled to build now swept away by the sands of time. Blomstregård is no more the glistering diadem of the Paramountcy that I left it as. Elves no longer even speak the tongue! I am still grasping this bastard patois Blomstregård now calls a language. Are they even my people any more? Apparently the leading houses in the Folketinget claim descent directly back to the womb of the wretched tyrant queen. Except I never had children. They know nothing of me."

"Masonry from the Pioneers Bulwark used as bricks in stables along the Spearhills. Dormitories of the Pioneer Legion being squatted in by ogre raiders on the Western Archipelago. The great libraries of Nazir simply blasted into nothingness. Tomb raiders picking over what little is left like vultures. Vermin that I was all to happy to exterminate. Ruins, that's all that remains of the Paramountcy. Traitors deprived me of my rule, time destroyed the empire, and I am too late to save my subjects. But they, I, will suffer no more indignity. The Paramount Dominion will be remembered, even if I am the sole soul to do so."

"I have been reading in an attempt to learn about these intervening centuries. To varying success, I must admit. But the ruling kingdom now is Sevvran, apparently. And under their latest king, some hereditary fool named Leopold, this kingdom now seeks to invade all it can see. I am remembered a despot, while realms happily submit to this Leopold, the fourth of his name? History is a cruel mistress. But one that I refuse to let rule me any longer. The Paramountcy may be lost, my name may be a curse, I may have been left with nothing but I am here for a reason. I will be what is needed. People deserve that after such a long time lost under savages and boy kings."

"My face is virtually unknown, but my name is cursed with acts of the greatest tyrants. I have been blamed for every evil act in antiquity, even for some that occurred less than two hundred years ago. None of this is true, but that does no longer matters. People have believed it true for so long that it has become real to them. Even with Basilissa Anathema standing in front of them, the people will refuse to recognise that she is here. That she is real, that she is not a monster. If Anathema the Tyrant Queen is dead, then who am I to argue with history? I am still the Basilissa of Blomstregård, King and Queen of the East and the West and Storhertuginde of the North. I know what I am capable of, and what I have done for the good of my people. I need no title or name to prove that. It is in my very being. The world will soon see this again."

[+6] The People's Queen, the Patrician's Princeps
A cult of personality to some, and an inspirational leader to others. Even her harshest detractors had to accept that Basilissa Anathema of Blomstregård was a force of personality. She had charisma enough to rule the entire Paramountcy alone, keeping her subjects happy and the demanding aristocracies supporting her. Her gifted tongue ended more conflicts than her armies did, though stirring rallying cries on the battlefield had swung the tide of battle many times. Delicate diplomacy saw foes become friends, while rousing political speeches steered the course of the empire. At least this truth had survived thousands of years relatively unmolested.

[+2] The Woman who Conquered the World
One cannot bring wild beasts and uncultured barbarians to heel through words alone. While not the finest blade in the Paramount Dominion, Anathema more than acquitted herself in battle after battle. Troubadours sang sagas of their brave queen always leading from the front. Armed with her sovnya, the presence of the Imperator of the Pioneer Legion alone drove soldiers forward. When combined with tactics and strategy learnt from the finest generals through years of conflict, her command saw the legions of the Paramountcy maintain the peace through the Dominion.

[-2] History Remembers a Tyrant
To those learned in history, the etymology of 'Anathema' comes directly from the wretched and cruel ruler of the Paramount Dominion. She started dozens of wars, enslaved millions of people, starved her subjects and slaughtered even more. All the lands and all the seas were subjugated, human and dwarf and elf alike virtual thralls ruled with an iron fist. Cities rose in her name and nations razed at her command. Her empire was built on a foundation of blood and bone. This is how her name is remembered, that of a tyrant and a dictator. For Anathema to claim she is the famed empress of legend, this reputation precedes her. Either she is lying about her identity and is simply mad, or is telling the truth and is some vile creature too terrible to imagine.

The Paramount Dominion

[+2] Foundation for Modern Civilisation
All that which is known in the world can trace itself back to the Paramount Dominion. From the reclusive elves of Blomstregård to the holy Sevvra, all can trace some lineage back to the great empire. Even the capital of Arks Landing is built on the foundations of a small trading village dating back to the Paramount-era. Language shares a common root, and coinage is still struck from the same gold that was mined all those millennia ago. Trade routes once used across the continent and over the oceans are still travelled to this day.

[+2] The Sun Never Set on the Dominion
It was no boast that the sun never set on the Dominion. Paramount ruins continue to be uncovered from the very heart of Sevvran to the farthest reaches of the Massif Steppes. Shipwrecks and sunken harbours mark the seas as belonging to the Dominion as well, and not even the underground domain of the orcs or the shattered remains of the Western Archipelago are free from the touch of the long forgotten empire. Where ever one may travel, ruins of the great empire are sure to be found.

[-2] Lost to the Sands of Time
Even the greatest of empires cannot stand forever, and a scant two hundred years after Anathema the Paramount Dominion fell. Civilisation holds no memory of a time where all peoples stood side by side as brothers and sisters. Grand buildings are now rubble. Cities flattened and built over. Imperial highways now but well-trodden goat trails. Virtually all knowledge lost, with very little of the vast collections of the Dominion Archives surviving to this day. Archeologists now piece together what they can from ruins, but hidden secrets of an age long past stubbornly refuse to surrender what they know.

Robodog fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 11, 2016

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Yami Fenrir posted:

And they'll all fly by me because I actually have not watched GoT yet.

Boromir dies.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Certain blackbird angling to get baked into a pie here.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I've added and tweaked my app at least out of drafting stage with it now.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
The memoirs of Basilissa Anathema of Blomstregård, King and Queen of the East and the West, Storhertuginde of the North, Archon of the Great Southern Sea, Imperator of the Pioneer Legion and Exulted Potentate of the Paramountcy. Written in Old High Dominion in script closer to calligraphy than conventional handwriting. Those who could read it numbered less than a dozen in the known world, and those who were native and fluent numbering fewer than half that figure.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Anathema, you remember this specific type of blood magic. Even a woman of ambition as great as yours refused to use it. What makes it so dangerous, and do you intend to do anything about it?

"The Paramount Dominion did not call it blood magic. 'Blood magic' makes it sound very dark and terribly mysterious and horribly dangerous, when this magic is in reality as easily understood as any other branch of magic. In the Paramountcy, we called it phlebotomancy.

Now, you won't see many people cower in fear at the name of phlebotomy will you? And that little fact is exactly the reason why it needs to be called so. I went so far as to make it official policy throughout the Dominion. You see, the kind of person who turns to phlebotomancy is the kind of person to use fear as a weapon. Cowards and thugs preying on the weak. And those kinds of people need to have that weapon of fear blunted at every turn.

I am not a scholar of the arcane myself, so please forgive my explanation if it is somewhat elementary. But magic is like any other mode of force in the world, it is an action which requires energy. Fuel, if you will. If we move our bodies, our bodies need fuel. If we manipulate magic, that magic also requires fuel. Normally, as I understand it, casting a spell draws needed fuel from the aether. Just as a windmill draws upon the wind for fuel, magic can be fuelled by spirits, the elements, energy in the land, or even I have heard the hopes and dreams of little children.

Phlebotomancy is no different, except that it draws fuel from people. Burning through them like coals and casting aside the cinders. Some draw parallels with ticks or leeches, but even a tick only drinks as much as it can carry and then leaves the host alone. A phlebotomancer is more akin to a parasite, infecting the innocent and eating away at them to get stronger and stronger until the host dies in agony. Then happily moving on to their next victim.

This particular kind of magic is also a horribly inefficient process. It requires exponential amounts of energy to sustain itself and the practitioner. For a lone wizard committing greater and greater acts of murder perhaps this is achievable in some fashion, but on any sort of grander scale massacres would have to be undertaken on a daily basis. Sheer practical considerations prevent phlebotomancy from being legitimate before we even get to the moral issues surrounding it.

I do not consider myself a censor. People should be free to do with their lives what they like. But when that liberty infringes on the rights of others, that is where the authorities must step in to protect the people. In the name of the common good, certain conditions must apply to the social contract. I halted unfettered hunting and fishing to protect animal stocks. I refused to allow the primitive orcs from being subject to a pogrom. And I did not allow phlebotomancy to be practised with sentient blood.

Clearly, this is an edict lost to time. And one that I intend to enforce once again. By my own hand if need be. If little horrors such as this Amporus cannot be ended, then how am I to tend to the greater horrors yet to come?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Only one spreadsheet so far? I'm a little disappointed.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
The memoirs of Basilissa Anathema of Blomstregård, King and Queen of the East and the West, Storhertuginde of the North, Archon of the Great Southern Sea, Imperator of the Pioneer Legion and Exulted Potentate of the Paramountcy. Written in Old High Dominion in script closer to calligraphy than conventional handwriting. Those who could read it numbered less than a dozen in the known world, and those who were native and fluent numbering fewer than half that figure.

OscarDiggs posted:

Glaumdrang Wealth-Checker

"Dragons consider themselves old beings, majestic and wise. But they are closer to living egos with wings and burning breath. Would one call a bandit great and terrible? No. Yet when one is scaled and gifted with flight, their raiding is seen in a different light. But stroke their ego and give them gold and they are contented, a threat easily contained. Which I daresay is the reason this one has been given a bank to lord over. Personally I wouldn't make the concession. The beasts fight amongst themselves anyway, if this Glaumdrang ever rose to be trouble five more dragons could be allied with to kill him and take his place of power."

"Blackbirds. Or orm, as I recall they prefer to be called by. They were little more than itinerants in the Paramount Dominion, very much the travelling nomads in a constant state of migration. When I was a child, I recall seeing the great flocks blot out the sun in the sky as they flew through. Truely the sight. But now they seem to have traded the life of vagrancy for the lives of fools and clowns. Quite curious, but perhaps Sevvran has no place within her borders for them. Kiris seems to hold a grudge on principle. History says I wronged the blackbirds, and perhaps in their stories I indeed have done them wrong. I doubt I can do anything but play to expectations."

Rauri posted:

Samarah Ka Qismah

"Religion never played much of a part in my life. The Paramountcy tolerated folk faiths that the provinces brought with them, they did no harm on the whole. And my parents did venerated the sun and the moon. But the Dominion had no centralised church, and I followed no faith. For what is a god? A powerful being we cannot understand? To some in the hyperborean territories, I was thought to be a god. Has this Samarah seen a vision from her god? I cannot say. There is no way for me to know. But scepticism would incline me to believe her visions serve a purpose other than the divine.

Valhawk posted:

Artur “The Sculptor” Regios

"I have always held a certain fascination with the arcane. I could never understand it, not when I lacked any aptitude with magic whatsoever. But I admired those with the gift. But to have such a gift, and then to use it solely to alter the body and the minds of others? In my reckoning, it is as if I learnt to fight with the sole intent to murder the innocent with my blade. Not just a waste of talent, but an affront to the art. Artur is no better than a common outlaw, and deserves to be put to the sword along with the rest of those who have spurned society."

Theantero posted:

Sasha Snowdrake

"Even in the Paramount Dominion, the Western Archipelago was the far edge of the realm. Ogres were a continuous pain to put down, time and again they rose up seemingly just to fight for the sake of violence. The islands had one of the greatest concentration of soldiers in the entire Paramountcy. We did not yield. And it seems, if this mercenary captain is anything to go by, ogres have hardly changed at all in the time I have been away. It's almost reassuring, except that it is possibly the most annoying thing to have not improved at all in two thousand years."

Platonicsolid posted:

Lavelle Ingernassa

"An army is trained to fight with weapons. Swords. Spears. Clubs. Shields. They number in the thousands, and clash in massive battles that leaves the land scorched. Innocents die, families lose loved ones, and inevitable crimes are committed and justice escaped in the darkness of conflict. But people never raise an eyebrow at all this. But show a mage conjuring a lick of flame, and fear spreads like a disease. Is the ability to cast a spell more dangerous than the trust of a spear? Of course not. The Paramountcy let those touched with the gift of magic live free, their liberty was as important as the freedom of any other subject. Just one more part of the dominion that has failed to survive the millennia. Perhaps if I had stayed in my time, the blood of so many would not have been spilt so senselessly."

Savidudeosoo posted:

Count Edvard Marcel Borde, Lord of Niloufar

"This region is unknown to me. The northern mountains were largely uninhabited in the Paramount Dominion, to give buffer to the wild lands of the Wyvern Peaks. Orcs indicated they wished to settle there, but negotiations with the provincial viziers never occurred due to their assassination attempt against me. The count does whatever he has to in order to protect his people, which is an admirable trait I've seen very little of since I returned. I can only hope he has sound judgment and sage viziers at his side, lest he let this power lead him astray."

TheNabster posted:

Lord Commander Viktor Von Voss

"One of the unsung casualties of any conflict are the good men and women who follow orders on both sides. They fight to protect their families and to defend their homes. They are doing nothing wrong, nothing evil, and they are not the people who deserve to die in agony on the battlefield. The Lord Commander, like the Silent Knight, go to prove that Sevvran have knights of good standing and honour in their ranks. People who do the right thing and stay loyal. That whatever acts ordered by their king should not see the repercussions brought down upon their heads."

Cambrinus posted:

The Prince of Pigeons

"I ruled fairly and openly. I did not mask my decisions in complicated wording to obfuscate my true meaning. I rendered my edicts and owned them. I had very little use of spies and subterfuge. Perhaps the political landscape has changed so much that now it is a fact of everyday life that you will be spied upon. Perhaps even my presence has been noted and dark, shadowy figures are acting against me. But I am at best a disposed queen out of time, surely not a threat compared to so many other kings and counts and knights. That would be my only defence if such cloak and dagger games were taking aim at me."

Quornes posted:

Kurt Hissin

"Petty kings are one thing I refused to tolerate in the Paramountcy. When a kingdom was defeated, their rulers had to accept either exile to another province or death. Governors and viziers were brought in to administrate the new province of the dominion, and to cement the rule of law over the new subjects. Keeping the previous rulers around only fermented disquiet. And when hidden progeny rose up in defiance? After being offered such clemency? They suffered the full force of the Imperator. The fact Leopold failed to follow such wisdom with this seems to have caused his line a growing problem."

megane posted:

Sudden Clarity

"When I was a child, an elder of my village declared that the sun and the moon had spoken to him in a dream. He was fast for sixty days, nourished only by the light of the sun and the night of the moon. Then, on the night of the sixtieth day, he was to ascend to take his place in the heavens. The old man died after two weeks with no food and no water. The sun and the moon do not talk, much like weather systems do not communicate with anybody. Yet, here is another religious zealot steadfast and unshakable in her beliefs. This delusion does not make her any less dangerous, I must point out."

GodFish posted:

Leona Sevvran

"During my long, successful reign of the Paramount Dominion I ruled alone. I did not marry, not for love or for political reasons, and I bore no children. I took no lovers and had no paramours. I am chaste. And why do I take celibacy so seriously? Precisely to avoid any situation involving birthright and passing the crown by bloodline. Though this has not stopped the leaders of Blomstregård from claiming some lineage from me. Rule should be passed down to the one who can best rule, not by blood. Blood passes down the colour of the eyes or the hue of the skin, but leadership is not hereditary. And rightful claims and bastard claims tearing a realm in two? No. I was dedicated solely to the good of the realm and the good of my people. Those were my loves. Romance has no part to play in the life of a true Basilissa."

Apocron posted:

Marvelous Magnus's Magic Sword

"Magical constructs like these were not unknown in the Paramountcy. Though I always saw them as toy for the rich, ways for the fabulously well gifted with the arcane to show off. If one wishes to use magic, cast a spell. If one wishes to fight, swing a sword. Why combine the two? But still, from what I can remember from dull banquets they make eager bodyguards and servants. I always meant to look into the issue of slavery with magical constructs, building a creature just to make it serve seems quite immoral."

Ronwayne posted:

Amerigo Hieronymus

"The Paramount Dominion ruled from coast to coast and across the seas. No empire so large could ever run without a massive bureaucracy fed by an efficient taxation system. The agencies required no fewer than three reformation before they were in adequate shape to tackle the expansion I had planned, but once in place they were up to the task. I can understand turning to an expert to lead the taxation office, but to grant clemency to a man avoiding justice so? To have that at the heart of the bureaucracy itself? It is a recipe for a rotten, corrupt system."

quote:

Prince Orignoxfes, Elder Dragon

"I do not like roundly condemning a sentient life to death. But this? Being a ruler means knowing when action is needed. This is a fat, greedy, corrupt morass of unscrupulous scales gorging itself beyond all recognition. It exists to torment and little else. What pathetic excuse for a life it leads should end, a swift death being more mercy than such a beast deserves."

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin

"Even if they have the authority of the boy king to do their duties, they are bandits by another name. I can't see how raiding and looting can ever be in the name of keeping the peace. To keep the peace, one must know and enforce the word of law. I doubt anything of the sort happens here."

berenzen posted:

Thanda, Dervish of the Desolate Wastes

"Nazir was one of the centres of learning in the Paramountcy. I remember it well, I spent my formative years being tutored there. The valleys were the perfect temperature for growing grapes, the vineyards produced this lovely sweet wine that tasted like the sun. I have few fonder memories than sitting with a glass of that sweet wine, pouring over a tomb and watching the golden sun set over the hills and valleys. It almost makes me hate the Naziri even more. They had perhaps the last connection left in the world to my home and they managed to not just leave it to ruin, but to detonate it entirely. Gone for good, wiped off the map. Not even ruins left, not even rubble. Just sand and dust. Nothing. If I ever reclaim even a fraction of my power, these hubris ridden fools deserve to be destroyed."

Epicurius posted:

Grand Inquisitor Karl Vondevan

"A thug, too weak to join the army or to become a bandit on the roadside. Too pious to simply believe in his folk faith and leave it be. So, you get a religiously motivated thug torturing the innocent to make himself feel closer to his god. It is disgusting. An inquisition? For what? Crimes against the church? If you truely care, then won't your god sort it out? If they commit a crime, the judiciary is here to deliver justice. There is no need for this man, his organisation, or his abuses."

TheTatteredKing posted:

Octavia "Juice" Jagerpfaltz

"I tried my best to redirect funds to poorhouses, to make sure that no matter who you were or where you were in the dominion you could sleep comfortably and eat a warm meal. Subjects of my realm deserved at least that much. When the disadvantaged, the sick, and the poor are left to fend on their own you end up with people like this. Who then rule gangs like she does. They go from needing help to being too dangerous to do anything but lock up. It is a heartbreaking state of affairs."

Gazetteer posted:

Valas the Last

"The dominion included all kinds of sentient people. Elves, of course, along with orcs and dwarves and humans and ogres. Vampires were few and far between, but it had been made known to me that they did exist within the Paramountcy. Some, like any people, abuse their abilities and they were without mercy slain. But those who only fed on the willing, who did not want to cause trouble or grab for power, were allowed to live in peace. And most took advantage of that. They are people, after all, and most people only wish to have a quite life. To exterminate an entire species? Simply unconscionable."

GoldenJoe posted:

Kezak, Glorious Draahzin's Bomb Merchant

"Kobolds must have had a massive evolutionary boon since my time as ruler. They were a genus of lizard, if I recall correctly. Not much bigger than a small dog. Certainly not intelligent or sentient. Yet, here they walk and talk and conduct rather successful trade with other cities. I know precious little of these new sentient people, but this one at least seems to know the art of alchemy. An impressive feat for any person. Though, I associate explosions with something going wrong, personally."

People of the Kingdom

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe

"While the boy king marches to war, his loyal knight sits atop the throne to keep it from falling into the wrong hands. I think back to trial by combat, and the outrage when I prohibited them. It allowed the strong to lord over the weak, and legally slay them if they were ever challenged. A thief by another name. This boy king did not name a governor to rule in his stead as he played conquerer, as I had done for the years I marched with the Pioneer Legion, he named a warrior who cannot be beaten. He rules with the sword, not with the word of law. This Silent Knight shows the virtue expected of her, to protect her lord. It is the judgement of the boy king that reflect poorly from her incompetence."

Yami Fenrir posted:

Pope Sahalnir XI

"An old religious zealot fracturing the city, perhaps the kingdom, before he meets his god. Clearly he cares only for his own interests, otherwise he would not see so many suffer just to get his own way. How so many religions have come into being while I was away boggles the mind, but it is but one of many signs of moral decay this Sevvran has brought about. The sooner this religious leader dies, the better for all."

Yami Fenrir posted:

The Windspeaker

"A traveller, a follower of her own religion, incites the exisiting religious powers into calling for her death? This is why I am against these churches organising themselves. They think themselves powers answerable to no one but their god or gods. Ending the life of a young woman? God wants it so. Abrogating responsibility for your actions is so easy when you can call upon religion. Were I still Exulted Potentate I could call upon my viziers and research what we know of the world and the oceans, perhaps pinpoint where she came from. But as it is? She is as much a mystery to me as everybody else."

Yami Fenrir posted:

Petra Asfaran, the Wolf's Pup

"A disciple of the Silent Knight? Her squire? Perhaps she is as noble and just as her mentor, without being so locked into her sense of loyalty to the crown. Certainly it seems she has some issues with her mentor now that she sit upon the throne. I am but an outsider looking in, but if one needed to see the Silent Knight evicted from the throne tis Wolf's Pup may be the one to do so."

"I am no stranger to assassination attempts. I am only even here because of a successful attempt. But to have a hired killer on retainer with the crown? Is there no honour in these lands any more? Do kings no ride out with their armies to face down those who wish to challenge them? It is pitiful. I can only imagine that to be in service to a king, this killer would have to be skilled. And expensive."

Yami Fenrir posted:

Amporus, Heresy Incarnate

"A sociopath, murdering the innocent for personal gain. Abusing the gifts of magic he was given, like a solider turned to banditry. This soul is irredeemable and deserves death, no qualms about it. It is too late to save his victims, but if found soon enough it will be in time to prevent more families from losing their loved ones."

Yami Fenrir posted:

Verenas of Talrimas

"Born into a position to run the military. Has Sevvran ever faced a true foe? Do they know what it is like to have to fight shield-to-shield with an enemy stronger than you? To triumph purely because of the determination of your troops and the leadership of your commander? Clearly not, or else they would not make anything to do with the military a hereditary position. If these people claim any lineage to the Paramountcy I may have to put them in their place myself."

Yami Fenrir posted:

Ludwig of Urios, the Snake

"I needed the backing of the aristocratic families when I was ruler. I did not like having to indulge them, but as it was in the best interest of the dominion to keep them contented I acquiesced. House Urios seems like the worst of the families I ever had to deal with, with added corruption and war profiteering. I would have punished such a man and his house were I the ruler they tried to play their tricks on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I'm tired of fire gods thinking they can control our thoughts let's kill Samarah before it's too late make Sevvran great again.

• Locked thread