Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

The Turtle Manjusri which encodes all the astrological information in one handy painting. The white-on-white color scheme for the bottom two animals probably isn't the best graphical decision for this particular painting!

A little under a year ago, on a walk in the woods with my Lama, I mentioned that Sorig Institute, a major producer of Tibetan medicine and incense, was soon to be offering classes on Tibetan Medicine online. I asked my Lama, if I took those classes and studied Tibetan medicine, would that be good? And he said no, not really. But if I studied Tibetan astrology, that would be good. The results of this brief conversation are born out in this thread, as my first round of training is now complete. In a week I leave for a monastery in Ladakh, India where I will be improving my Tibetan speaking skills, studying the mechanical parts of the ritual (music, preparing offerings, and so on) and so on, and continuing my studying and translating the text I am training in. For now, I need to continue practicing, and that is part of my motivation for this thread.

About Tibetan Astrology
Tibetan "Astrology" is a bit of a misnomer. The word typically translated as "astrology," རྩིས་ rtsis, means reckoning, calculation, estimation, or computation. It comes by the name "astrology" based on comparison to the Western astrological system that was or is used for similar reasons, and the common translation of the Chinese "zodiac" which is somewhat related. The word for an astrologer in Tibetan is also the word for an accountant. Tibetan astrology comes in two forms, called Kartsi and Naktsi, or Jungtsi.

Kartsi is based on Vedic astrology and the Kalachakra Tantra. There is a funny relationship in the naming of both Kartsi and Naktsi. The Tibetan word for India is "gyakar" or "white-country" and the Tibetan word for China is "gyanak" or "black country." It is believed that this comes from the common clothes found in both of those countries, but this is just speculation. Kartsi, however, is not called that because it comes from India. It is called Kartsi because it is actually astrology - it is based on the Indian Vedic astrological system that uses constellations and the movement of planets through celestial domains and houses, similar and related to Western astrology. "Kar" in this case comes from the Tibetan word སྐར་ skar, meaning "star."

Kartsi astrology historically was used mainly for making calendars. It actually tracks the movement of celestial bodies and so was useful for calendars. It also was used to determine whether certain days were good or bad for certain religious practices, and again, for putting that information into calendars. As my teacher has mentioned, today, that's not as useful. You can buy a calendar easily, being able to make one isn't all that important. Kartsi, as it relates to the Kalachakra Tantra, is also used to calculate and predict world-eras and so on, but this is a pretty specialized thing looking at global epochs and so on within Buddhist cosmology, and so isn't all that useful outside of the niche.

Jungtsi means "elemental calculations" as opposed to Kartsi's "star calculations." It is also called "naktsi," which comes from the confusion about white and black and where it comes from. Because most Tibetans outside the monasteries were illiterate, they could hear that people were talking about "kartsi" and also that it came from "gyakar," so they assumed that kartsi meant "white astrology" because it was from the "white-country." The more generally common system of prediction used by the Tibetan shamans of the time, therefore, contrasted by being "naktsi," or "black calculations," because it was related to the system from gyanak, the "black country," China.

Jungtsi is related to Chinese "astrology" in several major ways. It does not use stars much at all - the naming conventions of months come from the star that is ascendant on the full moon of a given lunar month, and if someone wants to go as deep as possible in an electional calculation, they might look at a given particular day's star and see what things are good to do under that star. That said, normally nobody does much with the stars. Instead, Jungtsi is largely interested in the cycle of the five elements and 12 animal signs in years, months, days, and hours, as well as the cycle of "mewas" related to a magic number square, and the cycle of "parkhas" related to the cardinal and ordinal directions and the Chinese trigrams.

What would any of this be used for?
Tibetan astrology is primarily interested in horary and electional astrology. Horary is designed to make predictions for particular times, and electional astrology helps make decisions for when to do certain things. In the West, we are used to people using astrology for predicting personality and so on. This can be done, sort of, with TIbetan astrology, but it is imprecise and also not of much interest to Tibetans. The generally belief about astrology is that because karma, the cycle of cause and effect, and the universe is all interdependently originated, by looking at the cycles, we can get broad pictures of possible trends - what the inclination for a time would be and how that inclination would impact specific people. It cannot predict with certainty particular events because those things are all supported by cause and effect, an individual's karma, which is not perfectly knowable except to a Buddha. So for example I might look at a day and it comes back "hey, you shouldn't go up on high mountains on Friday." Now, maybe you go on the high mountain and everything is fine, because you don't have any karma, personally, for being hurt on that day. That's super great. But why take chances, if you can just go on the high mountain some other day? And if by doing some kind of rituals or practices, or hiring a shaman to do them for you, you can mitigate some of that danger, why not?

Of course, from the Western scientific point of view, that's rubbish - it makes vague predictions and then accepts confirmation as evidence while discounting failures. Fortunately it's not pitched as a scientific system. It's part of the cultural and religious beliefs of the Tibetan people.

So this is Buddhism and Buddhism is a dumb religion with dumb superstitions?

This is a branch of Tibetan Buddhism, but it's not part of Buddhism as such. The mythoogy of astrology claims that this is a system by which the astrologer can discover karmic patterns and use those karmic patterns to make very limited predictions of the future. It is described as a branch off of the trunk of Buddhism - you never need to go out on that branch, but without Buddhism itself there is no branch, either. It depends somewhat on Buddhism, but Buddhism doesn't depend on it at all. For discussion of Buddhism, you can join us in the Buddhism A/T thread.

Okay, so what do you calculate?

Right now, I have completed the training in a system called Kektsi Chusum-ma, or "13 Obstacle Calculations," from the astrological text "The Treasure-Storehouse of Desires," a lesser known text in the West on account of it having been, to my knowledge, previously untranslated into English. In the future, I will also be able to calculate bak-tsi, which predicts good times for marriages and so on, ne-tsi, which makes predictions about the potential courses of illnesses and is generally done in conjunction with Tibetan medicine, and some other electional processes.

Obstacle divination is a form of horary, looking at four or five forces, srog, lue, wang, and lung. Srog is the life-force energy, related to how vivacious one is, their general life-sustaining forces. Lue relates to health, the energy of the body. Wang is often translated as power or capacity, and refers to one's capabilities, such as wealth, power, influence, and so on. Lung refers to one's luck, and generally relates to the others.

All four of these forces are determined by one's birth year, as they rotate on a 60 year cycle of elements and animal signs, which determine the calculation. By comparing the relations of one's own birth elements to those of a year, month, day, or hour, we can get some idea of what to watch out for, and then within Buddhism we can prescribe certain practices or prayers. Outside of Buddhism it becomes a matter of familiarity with the practices of a person - so if a Christian's wang is weak at some point in time, I might suggest praying for some money, or practicing generosity generally, helping poor people, and so on, as these are things that can bring good karma for wealth or influence. For a Buddhist, I would suggest specific types of practices, which the book straight up prescribes.

Tibetans use this kind of astrology to plan their years, to plan trips, and so on. If they are about to start a journey, they may consult a Kalachakra based calendar that specifically says "this is a bad day to start a journey." If they are very concerned, they might consult an astrologer, who can calculate for them specifically whether it's good or bad to do things, and how to mitigate that.

Beyond the animal signs, I calculate mewas, which further inform us regarding years, months, days, and hours generally, and then through comparison with a person's own mewas, specifically to individuals. I also calculate parkhas, which give the best directions to travel for seeking out specific things, as well as what kinds of obstacles lie in specific directions. I can do this again for a general daily and hourly cycle, as well as for individuals. Typically, for all of these, it is said that the year is like the king, the month the minister, the day is like a soldier, and the hour is like a sword. The yearly information is the most important and the most influential, down to the hour, which is not nearly as influential or important.

All of these things - animal signs, years, months, days, hours, mewas, and parkhas, are constituted by elements. Comparing the elements of a person (from their birth year) to the elements of the target times is the primary method for determining their interaction.

This Thread

Part of my motivation for making this thread is that I now need to practice by doing calculations for a lot of different people. Rather than randomly accosting people I know in my actual life and going "hey man what year were you born???" I figured why not do this stuff for the Internet? If you'd like to know about this year for you, feel free to post your birth year and, if it's before March, the month and day. The reason I need that information is that the calculation is based on the Tibetan Lunar Year. Tibetan New Year is the first new moon in Spring, so if it's before March or so it's possible that you may have been born the year before. Tibetan ages start at 1, as is common in China. So your age is generally +1, but prior to your birthday and after Losar in a given year you are +2.

The most calculations I can do for obstacles right now are 47, but a few of the back half require a lot of weirdly detailed information, like the year, month, day, and hour of your grandparents' deaths, the age of your mother when you were born, and so on, the birth year of your spouse, and so on. I probably won't get that involved for people in this thread unless they are just super into it. The long and short of that is that if your relatives die at a certain time your family has bad karma for that time already, so those times become more likely to bring obstacles.

I don't calculate entire families yet, that, and the calculation of good times for weddings, are things I will be trained in after I return from India, as the methods of calculation are different.

The text from which I will be pulling the prescriptive information (what you should do if you have certain things) is in literary Tibetan so it will take me some time to translate some things. The calculations themselves take very little time. I am a decent astrologer in practice - traditionally it's said there are three kinds of astrologers. Good astrologers need only their hand for calculations (we used a hand technique moving the thumb around on the fingers to calculate things), mediocre astrologers need their hand and their lap (to hold a book, geeze), and bad astrologers need all sorts of things all around them. I am mediocre right now, there are still some things I haven't memorized and some things I need to double check myself on - perfection comes with practice, and that's what my agenda is here.

I am also happy to answer general questions about Tibetan astrology overall, but I know very little about the Kalachakra system and Kartsi, and I'm not intimately familiar with the White Beryl collection of Tibetan astrological texts common in the West that you may have read something about. I'll do my best though!

Edit: I leave in a week for Ladakh so answers will probably become pretty slow until I get back in August, but I'll follow closely for the next week.

Today Is: 4th July 2016
Tibetan: Fire Monkey Year 2143, Water Sheep Second Saga-Dawa , Wood Ox 30th Day
Today's Daily Mewa: 9-Red
Today's Daily Parkha: Khen, Sky, North-West

About This Year

This year is the Fire Monkey Year. Its life-force is Iron, health is Fire, capacity is Fire, and Luck is Wood. The mewa for this year is 2-Black. As a black year, it is a universally bad year for everyone, but just how bad still depends on the individual.

If You'd Like A Calculation

Please provide your year of birth and your gender. If you were born before March, please provide your date of birth entirely so I can determine if it's before or after the Tibetan new year.

If you want a calculation for a particular time, provide the date you're interested in. If you want a calculation for a particular time for a particular activity, include all of that and I can do my best.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Will I be rich?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

DarthBlingBling posted:

Will I be rich?

Are you already rich? Because that would help.

It's a good year for your wealth if you were born in an Earth year or a Water year.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I was born in 1978! How's this year looking for me?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

HopperUK posted:

I was born in 1978! How's this year looking for me?

1978 is the year of the Earth Horse. Your birth mewa is 4-Green. Your descending-mewa (yearly changing mewa) is 8-White.

Your
Life-Force is Fire
Health is Fire
Power is Earth
Luck is Iron

Generally, Horses have a great enthusiasm for virtue. They aren't good with talking. They take pleasure from life and enjoy playing games. They tend to speak excitedly, and don't sleep much. They have lots of ups and downs, and strive for the welfare and purposes of others. Earth Horse has short willpower and isn't firm on his words. They have a lot of obstacles for accumulating merit. From enemies and sicknesses there are five difficult periods in life. Capable of two male children.

This year is pretty good for your life force. It's a mixed year for your health. It's good for wealth. It's pretty good for luck.

All that's recommended for the mixed health is giving alms and planting some kind of plant? Also of course cleanliness, personal hygiene, things like this are good.

Your direction for this year is Tsin (Wood), East. If you need medical care, or to help mitigate the weak health-energy, you want to head Southeast. For sustaining your lifeforce, you want to go South. For glory, North. If you want to gamble, East. The other directions are bad for various reasons.

If you want to see the gobbledygook I did to find those things out, here is a picture of the chart as I drew it. It's in Tibetan, I'll try to do future ones in English but I learned in Tibetan so I have to kind of translate in my head when I do that.

Edit: I also assumed you're male, I need that information so I'll update the OP with it.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 4, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Female, 1981. Give me the entire rundown with specific attention to: what do my future job prospects look like (a year and a half from now, applying for jobs), and what do I have to do for the specific aims I have to be successful? (I have two, one job-related and one personal.)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 4, 2016

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

Edit: I also assumed you're male, I need that information so I'll update the OP with it.

Oh dear! I'm female. But thank you very much!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

HopperUK posted:

Oh dear! I'm female. But thank you very much!

I am actually really pleased to tell you that your parkha, which rotates different directions and starts in different locations based on gender, is remarkably symmetrical, so nothing changes in this case. I will maybe post tomorrow about hand technique, perhaps with a quick video or something, but I can demonstrate the way that works.

In any case, the chart is still accurate and doesn't change in this case haha

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
A dude, 1987.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I am actually really pleased to tell you that your parkha, which rotates different directions and starts in different locations based on gender, is remarkably symmetrical, so nothing changes in this case. I will maybe post tomorrow about hand technique, perhaps with a quick video or something, but I can demonstrate the way that works.

In any case, the chart is still accurate and doesn't change in this case haha

Oh that's really neat. Thank you! I love things like this. Much obliged.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Male born 1969.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
transgender woman, born 1989. i'm actually kind of interested in how that works, do i count as a man karmically speaking, as a woman, or as one of those "man turned into woman" things you hear about in the pali cannon?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
So do you actually believe in any of this? Do you think there is actual value in the calculations in astrology, or do you do it purely 'for fun'?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
/

HEY GAL posted:

Female, 1981. Give me the entire rundown with specific attention to: what do my future job prospects look like (a year and a half from now, applying for jobs), and what do I have to do for the specific aims I have to be successful? (I have two, one job-related and one personal.)

I did two here, one for next month, and one for the 4th Lunar Month of 2017.

Your birth year is Iron Bird. Birds generally do not have much "mother's wealth." To be honest I do not understand what this means. They are ruled by desire and have a lot of attachment to their own appearance. They don't sleep much and sometimes can be doubting or of low intelligence.

Iron Bird in particular has a mind with a lot of attachment to glory, power and influence, wealth, grains, food, drink, and so on. They are mainly influenced by people. They generally live 70 years, and have seven difficult periods. They can have four male children.

Life-force is Iron,
Health is Water,
Capacity is Iron,
Luck is Water.

This is not a great next few years. This present year is bad for your life force. Your health is okay this year. Your power this year is bad, and you need to take care not to lose wealth. Your luck is also not good, and it suggests cleaning temples and religious monuments to help this.

Next year is also not going to be good, because next year is the Fire Bird year. Your own year and the year following (for women) are not good years. Next year beyond that is also elementally very difficult. Your life force next year is bad, same as this year. Your health is again good, but your power is even worse next year, and it would be wise to practice charity and so on to try to protect this. Your luck next year is mixed.

On top of all this, this year is a Mewa of 2-Black, generally and universally not good. Next year is a mewa of 1-White, which is generally good, except your own birth Mewa is 1-White, which brings some trouble.

Particularly for next year I looked at the Water Sheep month which is May into June. For you, the best months for looking for a job would be the Earth Months, Tiger and Rabbit, which come actually at the end of this year, around November and December. Of these, Tiger is better because Rabbit is the opposite of Bird. Then Mouse and Ox, which come Late-Summer and Autumn of next year, as these are Earth days that are the mother of your Iron wealth energy. For days within those months, earth days would come. I can really sit down and work on a calendar at some point, I hope you have PMs.

For accomplishing your particular goals, again, look for Earth days. I would look at this year as best for this kind of thing, next year and the year after will be difficult generally. However within those years there are windows that are not so bad.

To accomplish your goals this year, the best direction to travel is West. Next year, it will be South-East.

As I mentioned before I revisited this both to correct the mistakes with the Lokmen I mentioned earlier as well as to look a little deeper. This year the lokmen doesn't show anything, but next year is your che-drel, the divorce, separation, and so on from later on in the page. There's a big risk from that, especially as it comes on top of it being your own animal year, as well as your own mewa. I will continue with PMs for the specific dates and such.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 6, 2016

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Fire Rabbit. Rabbits have small appetites and great intellects. They are skillful and not bad. There's danger of illnesses from bile. Fire Rabbits particularly are full of praise for themselves and deprecate others. They like women and deprecate religion. They are automatically skilled and make good use of whatever wealth comes. They have danger from land-owner spirits and earth-ruler spirits. They get sickness like boils and depression. The lifespan is 75 and there are seven difficult periods.

Life-force is Wood,
Health is Fire,
Power is Fire,
Luck is Fire.

Straight up this is a bad year, the second mistake I caught that I have made on all of these (inverting the lok-men order) means even the life-force is not good.. This year is the same element as your birth year, which is not good, and next year is your opposition year, which will bring trouble next year. Life-force, health, and wealth this year are going to be weak.

It's a troublesome year and it's likely you should make propitiatory offerings, prayers, volunteer at churches, give alms, and so on. Make meritorious commitments and follow through on them.

This is also the first time I've seen someone with three forces all on the same element, that's pretty neat.

Times that are heavily water, so water year, water months, water days, water hours, would be not so good.

:siren:I screwed this one up last night, caught it on review this morning. My wife had a guest over and I was distracted while doing the calculation. In fact, even if I had had the descending-mewa correct, which I did not, I would have been wrong because I went the wrong direction with the fire-water relationship.

I have corrected this now and apologize.

:siren: The second mistake I caught that I've been making makes this yet worse. Sorry. :(

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 5, 2016

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Male born 1969.

ཕྱི་ལོ་༡༩༦༩་འདི་ལོ་པ་ས་བྱ་རེད། Someone born in this year is an Earth Bird. Earth bird has clear wisdom but it is unstable. They are prideful, jealous, and miserly and have a lot of craving and attachment, but they love people. There is great degeneration of eyes and other sense organs caused by bile. The lifespan is seventy with seven difficult periods, and there can be as many as six male children.

སྲོག། ལྕགས་
ལུས། ས་
དབང་། ས་
ཀླུང་། ཏུ་

Life-force is Iron,
Health is Earth,
Power is Earth,
Luck is Water.

A cursory glance at this year is actually very good, although the life-force is weak. You should see if there is a Bonpo, Ngakpa, or Monk near you who can perform a la-lu བླ་བསླུ་ give you instruction so you can make tsa-tsa, and then if you can attend a long-life empowerment (Amitayus, White Tara, Namgyalma, etc) that is very good, better if you keep up the practice. Demon-pacifying rituals are also good here.

The extended look has your health as good enough, but power and luck are mixed. For health, it's sufficient to keep yourself clean and to purify through making offerings to monks and giving alms. Wealth can come and go unstably, so wealth summoning practices are good here (Dzambhala, Kurukulle, like this). For luck, befriend higher up people and support people down on their luck. Practice the White Umbrella practice.

This year and next year will be generally difficult years on account of this being the year prior to your birth year, and next year being your birth year. Continue practicing Dharma, this really helps here.

I also wanted to give you the mewa information - you can get acute pains and pustules this year from having the 4 birth mewa with the 3 descending mewa. You you perform smoke offerings for local deities and pacify child-tormenting demons.

For you I will add, please forgive my handwriting.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Mo Tzu posted:

transgender woman, born 1989. i'm actually kind of interested in how that works, do i count as a man karmically speaking, as a woman, or as one of those "man turned into woman" things you hear about in the pali cannon?

So I was actually anticipating this question when I added the gender bit. Obviously a however many centuries old text doesn't address this question directly, and I am certain my teacher will tell me "you're the astrologer, you have to decide." My inclination is to calculate someone's gender according to how they identify. If someone is born biologically male but identifies as female and they claim they have always been female, then I will calculate is if they were born female. If they claim they changed at some point, then I calculate male until that point, and female from that point on. The calculations involving gender are based on the i-ching trigrams which are used to inform the calculations of directions. Some calculations use the gender of the animal sign, and some calculations use the actual person's gender. I don't see a compelling reason to calculate a person's gender as anything other than how they identify.

If I were doing medical astrology, which I have not learned yet, I suspect the answer would depend on if a person is pre or post transition.

In either case, your birth sign is the Earth Snake.

Snakes are brutal and greatly predisposed to anger. They are brave and have a great emotional force. Even so, they have a heavy mouth (unsure of this meaning). They are not influenced by negative talk. For men, they get sickness in the diaphragm. Earth Snakes have powerful minds and are able to skillfully employ their wealth. They steal, rob, and destroy their enemies. They defile people's wealth. They will kill anything that is born. They have pride and jealousy. They have intensely passionate minds. Great laziness, they like to sleep and hang out. They can have six children. They live to 79. They have four difficult periods. They die from stabbing or from cancer. (Side note: :drat: The author of this book really didn't like snakes).

Life force is fire,
Health is wood,
Power is earth,
Luck is water.

(I'm probably going to look at the internal interactions on those later, because there are so many diverse ones it might be fun).

This year is good for your life-force, but bad for your health. It's very good for your wealth. It's good for your luck.

Next year is going to be your own birth mewa, that's can bring some obstacles.

Travel southwest for glory, northwest to support your life-force, northeast for medicine, and west for increasing your fortune.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

So do you actually believe in any of this? Do you think there is actual value in the calculations in astrology, or do you do it purely 'for fun'?

Yes, I do believe it has value. I believe it has value on its own, for the calculation of correct dates to perform rituals and so on within Buddhism. I think it also has a mitigative protective value psychologically, at the very least. It certainly has value within the culture from which it was born as it is used and relied upon for decision making. Personally, I also believe that it has predictive value because I believe that it is a system for divination, but there are a billion caveats on things. Generally, while I acknowledge the value behind the predispositions I'm listing at the beginning of these things, I'm only mentioning them because generally Westerners like reading that kind of stuff - I don't find it particularly important what the personality traits of a person are based on their year-sign because they might not be accurate, and if they are I'll find out soon enough.

Basically, yes, I do generally believe in this stuff as it branches off my religious tradition, and I am particularly, within my religious tradition, focused on ritual. Astrology informs ritual, as you can see with SVO's chart above, by giving advice on what practices to perform, what rituals to attend, and so on.

I also totally believe you can go your whole life without knowing any of this stuff and be just fine. Ultimately, what I believe regarding it isn't nearly as important as what the subject who requests a calculation believes. In Tibetan culture, this is consulted frequently when going on trips, getting married, starting businesses, and so on. Most Tibetans I've met really believe in all of this, as it is a branch of their religious tradition. Because of that, it ultimately isn't that important whether there's some material value to it - there is spiritual value.

But I guess the short answer you're looking for is, yes, more or less. If it's my Sky-Door year and I have to go up to a great height, I'm going to be much more cautious I suppose. I'm not going to avoid things I otherwise might do, because I also believe that if it's my karma to getrekt by something, I will, but yeah, I might take it into account. I'd be a lovely astrologer if I couldn't endorse my own product. But for example I haven't calculated my trip to Ladakh at all - why bother? I'm going anyhow, and I do my Dharma practices anyhow, so there's not too much I can do if it does turn out that the astrology says I shouldn't fly in airplanes on those days.

Basically, I believe that these calculations can provide some kind of useful information that people can use to inform their decisions, but it shouldn't be the entire thing that people use to make all their decisions. If the doctor says you've got double cancer, and astrology says your health and life-force are fine, listen to the doctor.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 5, 2016

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
A lady, 1989! This is a very interesting peek into something I didn't even know existed.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

deathbot posted:

A lady, 1989! This is a very interesting peek into something I didn't even know existed.

The post just before yours is also a lady born in 1989, so that information will be the same. So as not to be disappointing that you don't get a calculation done just for you, if you're interested in a particular date and time I can do that for you tomorrow at some point! I will also, tomorrow, go into a little more detail on the mewas for this birth year and also do the interactional interpretation, since there are two of you now who might be curious. :)

I'm glad people are finding the thread interesting. I don't expect people to believe I have some kind of magic bullet answers because I don't even think this is that. I am glad to get the chance to practice, and also to expose people to an aspect of a culture that is struggling to maintain its identity post-occupation.

And, of course, for people who do believe in the value of these kinds of calculations, I'm happy to be able to provide that, as I have spent a good deal of time training and will continue to train further in the future.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
What would happen for the same questions if I were a guy? And I do have PMs, you can see whether someone does by looking at the bottom left of their posts--people who have PMs have a place where you can click that.

And I can't give you anything more specific about when I will be applying for jobs, because I'm not done with my PhD yet and I don't know when I'll be done. But when I'm about to write to important figures in my field I'll definitely PM you.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Paramemetic posted:

The post just before yours is also a lady born in 1989, so that information will be the same. So as not to be disappointing that you don't get a calculation done just for you, if you're interested in a particular date and time I can do that for you tomorrow at some point! I will also, tomorrow, go into a little more detail on the mewas for this birth year and also do the interactional interpretation, since there are two of you now who might be curious. :)

I'm glad people are finding the thread interesting. I don't expect people to believe I have some kind of magic bullet answers because I don't even think this is that. I am glad to get the chance to practice, and also to expose people to an aspect of a culture that is struggling to maintain its identity post-occupation.

And, of course, for people who do believe in the value of these kinds of calculations, I'm happy to be able to provide that, as I have spent a good deal of time training and will continue to train further in the future.

Teach me to refresh! No pressure to answer, I know you're going to get a lot of interest - Is there anything special about certain day combos? I'm 1/11, for example. Or more generally, being born on the first day of the year, or holiday dates?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
87, male, June. I am curious

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

HEY GAL posted:

I do have PMs, you can see whether someone does by looking at the bottom left of their posts--people who have PMs have a place where you can click that.

Also the grenade logo beside usernames indicates the plat account upgrade = they have PMs

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
82, male, August. Seems interesting.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Interesting thread!

Male, born in 1986.

jaded_daisy
Apr 28, 2007

Great thread, super interesting! Female, January 1972

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Man, February 26, 1993

everyone here is old

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

Brokenly curious.
Female, 1982. I was born on the 13th of March, if that helps.

I ruined my doctor's enjoyment of a basketball game by being born. I have endeavored to ruin as many sporting events as possible since then.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Male, 1989, January 6th.

10 Times 10
Nov 12, 2008
Female, 1976! Terribly interesting - thank you for this thread!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Can you answer questions (what early modern europeans called horary astrology) or is it just birth charts? For instance, can I ask "how bad does the Tibetan star system think England has hosed itself with Brexit?"

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Grognan posted:

87, male, June. I am curious

Fire-Rabbit, like Thirteen Orphans. I had made a mistake on his, but it's corrected now. It's an overall mixed year, good for life-force but you need to attend to your health and power/wealth.

Ataxerxes posted:

82, male, August. Seems interesting.

Water Dog.

Dogs generally are proud and wrathful. They think a lot and like war and fighting. They have great attachment and craving, and loyalty. Water dogs are very miserly. They are destroyed by sickness and enemies. Their body is marked with many unpleasant marks. They endeavor towards immoral and nonvirtuous deeds. They are often sick. Their lifespan is 63 and they do not have many children.

Your life-force is Earth,
Health is Wood,
Power is Water,
Luck is Iron.

Alright, I redid this one. Life force is not good; health, power are both good. Luck is bad, generally this is fixed by cleaning and taking care of religious centers and things like this. For the life-force, take a vacation and things like this, also life-ransoming rituals and so on since I'm doing a bunch of Buddhisty stuff out of the book.

However, I caught on the second pass (got some coffee in me) that this is a Bird year for your Lokmen and you are male. That means this is a che-drel year for you. Translating directly: "Divorce, separation, quarrels, and disputes. Resentment within the family. Diseases will spring up. Perform a (Bonpo shamanic practice for escaping divorce). Prepare three days worth of grains. Get a long life empowerment. [Get them shamans to do a ritual for ransoming your power and riches]."

So, the outlook is not as rosy as it was in the prior version. Teach me to try to do lok-men all fast.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 5, 2016

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
A Note on Mistakes

I mentioned in the OP that my motivation for a lot of this is training. I've been going back and correcting charts from earlier where appropriate. Most charts were fine, but when calculating my own chart (for Vlad Poutine, sup Fire Tiger Bro) I realized I've been inverting the lok-men table. In order to make sure I don't do this any more I'm going to explain my mistake as best as I can.

Lok-men, or "no return," is calculated by traveling through the 60 year cycle forward to one's own age from the child of the birth element as Tiger (for men) or from the mother of the birth element as Monkey (for women) in the appropriate direction. That year is the lok-men, and portends a bad year. However, lok-men is also used to calculate relative to the birth year as part of the "big picture" on the yearly outlook.

The quick outlook compares the birth-year to the current-year and looks at those relations, the more elaborate outlook looks at the birth year, lok-men, dar-gud (if you are looking very precisely, I haven't done this for anyone except SVO briefly), bap-me, and bap-par, and then weighs the good versus the bad for a kind of average.

When you do that, you proceed from the birth year forward 5, backward 5, forward 8, and backward 8. I had flipped those, going backward 5, forward 5, and so on. You then take the birth aspect you're looking at, for example, life-force, and compare it to the same aspect of the animal you land on from the lok-men.

For the most part, this doesn't change anyone's chart. Poor Thirteen Orphan's chart becomes even worse, it is entirely bad now with mixed luck. Other than that it mostly did not change weight. For the couple people who are very interested I will redo those charts. From this post forward that mistake will be avoided.

Anyhow, when I catch up on the current chart requests I'll be going back and correcting everything that was done wrong.

If the drawn chart is done in RED then I have corrected it and double checked it. If it's in black and before this post, I may not have checked it or it might not have made a significant difference.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 5, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Man, 1991, 9th day of the 1st month

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Male, May 8, 1988.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Interesting thread!

Male, born in 1986.

Fire Tiger, and definitely a chart I'm familiar with. I'm glad you came early also because doing your chart and getting a result different from what I remember showed me that I was making a mistake, mentioned in the post above.

Tigers are brave and prone to anger. They have a great passion and emotional strength, but an unrefined manner. They think a lot but don't act on those thoughts, and they enjoy business. Fire Tigers specifically are belligerent and arrogant. They tend to have chronic diseases. They lack reverence. They don't have much will-power. They can have four children. The lifespan is seventy-nine and they have five difficult periods.

Life force is Wood,
Health is Fire,
Power is Fire,
Luck is Iron.

This year is the monkey year, the oppositional sign to the tiger, which is very difficult. It is also the fire year, the same element as the fire tiger, and so that also brings obstacles. On top of this, it is a bad year for life-force and health, and a mixed year for wealth and luck. It is important this year to perform long-life practices, take on commitments, and perform propitiations for the family and local protectors and Dharma protectors. It's a good idea to perform wealth summoning practices and be careful with money because wealth can come or go. It's good to clean and maintain religious buildings and monuments to increase the luck.

For the Five-Yellow Mewa with the Descending Seven-Red Mewa, enemies and thieves will come. Subdue enemies. Oppose or overturn enemies.

jaded_daisy posted:

Great thread, super interesting! Female, January 1972

Born towards the end of the Iron-Pig year.

Pigs are mentally ignorant, have poor cleanliness, and like to eat. They rarely think of others. They have great "dry desire" (I have no idea what this means). They tell lots of lies. Iron pigs have a beautiful deportment and clear thoughts. They are respected by all and have great courage. They live for seventy years, with seven hard periods, and can have two to four male children.

Life force is Water,
Health is Iron,
Power is Iron,
Luck is Fire.

This year your life-force is fantastic, just A++ 100% good. Your health and wealth are both weak, you should stay up to date on checkups and you know, do that stuff. No risky investments. Luck is mixed, cleaning temples or religious places can bring this up.

Your direction is South, Fire. Go North for medical attention, East for fortune, Southeast for Glory, and South for Fortune.

Smoking Crow posted:

Man, February 26, 1993

everyone here is old

You were born on the fifth day of the first month of the Water Bird Year. Lots of birds also your avatar hella appropriate.

Water Bird has unstable body and mind. They are distracted and forgetful. They are humble and subject themselves to others. They are in danger from earth-owner spirits. They get illnesses from too much internal wind energy. They develop intimacy towards their enemies. They have two children. They need Naga-Medicine for their head. (I guess you can get that somewhere???). Their lifespan is sixty and they have nine difficult periods.

Life force is Iron,
Health is Iron,
Power is Water,
Luck is Water.

This year is the neighboring year preceding your own birth year, and this is always the worst year in the twelve year cycle.

Regarding lok-men, yours is Ox. For men, Ox as a lokmen is called phung-kyod, or "defeat." Translating directly: "Losses and unhappiness, defeat in business comes. Make tsa-tsa, practice enemy-subduing recitations, 100,000. Practice Norgyunma. Make offerings to local deities. Suppress demons of loss. Do (a particular tantric shamanistic ritual). Recite "heaps of auspicious (something something)" [No idea what this sutra is it's talking about here.]

Basically do whatever your religion says you should do to protect yourself in business.

Beyond that, your life-force is bad, health is mixed. Your power or influence is good, but probably not so good to overcome the lok-men, but maybe? Your luck is also mixed.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

tokomon posted:

Brokenly curious.
Female, 1982. I was born on the 13th of March, if that helps.

I ruined my doctor's enjoyment of a basketball game by being born. I have endeavored to ruin as many sporting events as possible since then.

A good example of how the male/female thing matters, especially for the lok-men calculation. It actually just so happens that the age is symmetrical depending on the gender in this case, so it's the same parkha, Dwa.

Your life-force is mixed, but everything else is fine.

Siivola posted:

Male, 1989, January 6th.

An Earth Dragon.

Asians love dragons. Dragon is irascible, with a pure mind. He has a loud roar by which he influences others easily. He is rarely sick but when he is sick it is severe. The Earth Dragon is very deluded and lazy. He likes alcohol and women. He's very cunning, and has few illnesses. He can even have 5 children. Or seven! The lifespan is 55, and he has great wealth. Six difficult periods.

Your life force is Earth,
Health is fire,
Power is earth,
Luck is wood.

This year is one of the "three destroyers," or what the Chinese call the "three friends." Dragon, Monkey, and Rat all go together. This brings obstacles. Make an offering to the gods and perform purification practices. Depend on making offerings. Perform rituals to cut contact between the living and the dead.

This year your life-force and luck are mixed. Your wealth should be fine, possibly gaining, probably not losing. You probably won't accidentally buy bitcoin this year.

Your health is bad, and you should stay on top of that with good hygiene and safety around sick people and so on.

Edit: I obviously slipped on over when calculating the lok-men, I had this as fire horse when it should have been earth horse. Caught in when second-checking on the other Earth Dragon down below. Nothing major changed except the health calculation which went from mixed to bad.

10 Times 10 posted:

Female, 1976! Terribly interesting - thank you for this thread!

A Fire Dragon!

The Fire Dragon particularly possesses a big body and great wealth. They like killing and have a lot of craving for food. They are deceptive and are skillful with mathematics, writing, and so on. There is little danger from enemies and flesh-eaters (a type of demon). The lifespan is 72 and there are 7 difficult periods. There can be two children.

Your life force is Earth,
Health is water,
Power is fire,
Luck is wood.

Your life force this year is superb, just really good. That's the good news. Bad news is health is weak - you need to look after that. Your power is the worst, just really bad this year. It's bad in every regard, nothing mitigating at all. Definitely don't buy bitcoins if it's not already too late. Are you heavily invested in the Pound on Forex? Anyhow, do lots of wealth summoning rituals and practice generosity, make lots of offerings, etc. Your luck is pretty good all told, so that's nice.

This year is your sky-door year per lok-men. What that means is you can get lots of headaches and disease. Do not go on balconies or on mountains or high bridges or so on, that's very dangerous. Stay away from your in-laws. Raise a new dog. There are some Buddhist chants that can help, one is White Umbrella. Do an exorcism and a ritual of ransom on the door to your house.

Because of your mewas, you should use skillful means to stop the dangers from nagas, demons, and earth-kings.

Your direction is Kham, Water, North. This is not so good, for females this is a bad direction, it marks major transitions or change. The directions themselves however are North for Fortune, South for Medicine, East for Glory, and Southeast for sustaining the life-force.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 5, 2016

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

HEY GAL posted:

Can you answer questions (what early modern europeans called horary astrology) or is it just birth charts? For instance, can I ask "how bad does the Tibetan star system think England has hosed itself with Brexit?"

There are techniques for horary astrology but I have not been trained on them yet and would not be comfortable interpreting most of them. They work by transforming the question into another kind of question and then using some paintings to pull lessons out of, among other things. I can generally do a limited kind of horary by looking at the elements for a particular time or place and seeing whether the elements support or don't support that kind of activity. Similarly I can use the Parkhas to determine directions of travel for best results. There is a way to use them to determine the best layouts for new construction of buildings and so on, but again that is above my level of training right now.

my dad posted:

Man, 1991, 9th day of the 1st month

Western or Lunar? Assuming this is the Western date, you'll be an Iron Horse. If it's the Lunar Date you're an Iron Sheep.

Iron Horse particularly likes to sleep and eat. They can learn their own faults from seeing the faults of others. They can have four children. There are great difficulties with wealth and chidlren. The lifespan is 57. There are 9 difficult periods. They get sicknesses from earth-owner spirits and cold air.

Life force is fire,
Health is earth,
Power is iron,
Luck is iron.

I got bored of doing just a single year, so I did your next birthday (assuming again that was a Western date) between 5 and 7PM.

For this year, using the quick summary, it is a pretty good year, but very bad for your wealth. Everything else is good with no need for mitigation really. Your wealth has a risk of slipping away and leaving you destitute so you know, pay attention to that.

For that particular hour the quick summary is that it will be good for your life-force, bad for your health, bad for your wealth, and neutral for your luck. If you wanted to throw a party, I would consider shifting it to either earlier or later in the day. I can do a calculation to find the best time during that day but it's a little time consuming.

Your overall summary for that hour is that you have good life force, bad health, neutral wealth, and good luck.

Your mewa and parkha remain the same for the year, and it's for this year. Your direction for this year is Dwa, West, which I've done earlier on this page.

Because I did a particular time, I did a calculation called Dar-Gud.

Overall your dar-gud is neither up nor down. For the year, and for that month, it is bad, and bad in the same way - na-wa, sickness. There is a risk of a lawsuit or that you'll be accused of something this year, and also in the 11th month (December into January).

On that particular day, your birthday, you have koe-kyon, "wearing clothes", which is good for nourishing your capabilities and senses, basically that is a good day for you. That particular hour is dar-wa, adulthood, and is good for gaining wealth.

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

Male, May 8, 1988.

I already did an Earth Dragon up above (but caught a mistake, so I will be updating) so I did your birthday at noon.

It's a pretty good time. For next year, you have the rising tru-che, washing, that leads to one accomplishing their thoughts. For the Water Horse month where your birthday falls, you gain wealth. You have refreshment and enjoyment at that particular day. Only the hour is bad, bringing a loss of prosperity. Maybe you go for a fancy lunch IDK.

The hour's "loss of prosperity" trend is mitigated by the elements of the hour, which are extremely good for your life force, health, and wealth. It's bad for your luck, however.

The theme of the exact hour remains good vitality, mixed health, good wealth, and bad luck.

bufoalvarius
Mar 4, 2015

Why, blast it all, that's just where we all want to be--back where we were before! That is revolution--going right round every revolution--like every repentance--is a return.
Also a lady snake. I follow chinese zodiac where 89 is also an earth snake, but it's a little nicer, giving descriptions of warm and charming as well as manipulative. Is there a career path that goes well with this sign? I've done many and stuck with none. What sort of rituals are suggested to curb the negative traits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

bufoalvarius posted:

Also a lady snake. I follow chinese zodiac where 89 is also an earth snake, but it's a little nicer, giving descriptions of warm and charming as well as manipulative. Is there a career path that goes well with this sign? I've done many and stuck with none. What sort of rituals are suggested to curb the negative traits?

The descriptions vary from book to book but follow the same general themes. I've noticed this particular text likes to bear down on just the worst possible characteristics. For example, focusing on a Fire Tiger's lack of faith or devotion rather than on the bravery and so on. I generally don't pay too much attention to these descriptions. They are usually used for planning families - most Asians aim for Dragon and Rabbit years.

There are also descriptions for all 9 Mewas that include possible past and future lives, lifespan, disease affliction, sometimes career suggestions, practices, and deities.

For the purposes of this thread I've been omitting about a third of the possible calculations because they start asking for obnoxious amounts of information - I need the mother's age or birthsign for the "birth parkhas" for example which give the enduring directions that are best (all of these directions are for this year only). The times of death of family members are always bad. Spouse's age for parkha is needed because when those match, they are bad. Just a lot of things like that that quickly become a bit much.

I can look and see if there are things that mitigate bad traits in terms of practices, but usually this is done by acknowledging those characteristics and simply working on developing positive characteristics. By adulthood, often most of those traits barely influence someone because of the strength of their accumulated karma. I could hardly be said to lack devotion, for example, as I am literally my Lama's attendant. I do tend to be a bit irreverent tho, I tend to use profane language in describing ritual, I feel like it communicates the meaning better lmao

I'll take a look in a little bit and see if I come up with something like that. I can also see if this book has something regarding career advice - if it does it will be in the third section, which is for calculating family and lifespan stuff and which I skip around in as I don't have the training but have the permission to use what I can.

• Locked thread