Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
10 Times 10
Nov 12, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

A Fire Dragon!

:3: The best dragon drawing ever. Thank you so much for the reading, pretty accurate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Paramemetic posted:

Western or Lunar? Assuming this is the Western date, you'll be an Iron Horse. If it's the Lunar Date you're an Iron Sheep.

Western. Thanks, it's always cool seeing stuff like this.

Fun fact: this is the first, er, fortune telling of whatever sort I read in the past 10 years that didn't tell me "you gonna die soon" :v:

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Paramemetic posted:

They get illnesses from too much internal wind energy.

That's interesting, I actually am dealing with a illness getting really bad. Can you go into more detail about this, or is it a specific medicine thing?

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

Paramemetic posted:

A good example of how the male/female thing matters, especially for the lok-men calculation. It actually just so happens that the age is symmetrical depending on the gender in this case, so it's the same parkha, Dwa.

Your life-force is mixed, but everything else is fine.

Always happy to be a good example of something!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Oh this is extremely rad!

Hello friend I am a woman born in 1987. I'd love to see a general thing and how it differs by gender since I saw a guy had 1987. More specifically, can you tell me how a party/meet-and-greet on the evening of the 16th of July will go?

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
I'm also a woman born in 1987, although I'm curious how an international move in two months will turn out, and how my love life looks, since my cousin's recent wedding sort of lit a fire under my rear end about finding love. The first half of 2016 has already seen a lot of change and upheaval for my life, both good and bad, but with this international move the biggest step forward is yet to come and I'd love to know what's in the stars for me.

My Western astrological birth chart is extremely accurate and my horoscopes can be eerily specific to my life some days, so I am wondering if Tibetan astrology will follow suit. My birthday is in a few days so it's not before March, but if birthday proximity means anything in relation to this, I can provide the date and my approximate time of birth too.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Hey Op, you made some posts in another thread that really gave me food for thought. So lets give this a shot.

quote:

...post your birth year and, if it's before March, the month and day. The reason I need that information is that the calculation is based on the Tibetan Lunar Year. Tibetan New Year is the first new moon in Spring, so if it's before March or so it's possible that you may have been born the year before.
Male, 1977. Born 22march, 22 days late, 15min past midnight. So just passed the mark, I guess?

quote:

I probably won't get that involved for people in this thread unless they are just super into it. The long and short of that is that if your relatives die at a certain time your family has bad karma for that time already, so those times become more likely to bring obstacles.
I'd love you to do this for me if you can spare the time. Both my parents passed away, so it might be interesting. You may ask me to do/give something in return if you'd like.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'd love to get a reading for a male born 1989 because this year has been a struggle already. What are my prospects for the rest of this year and the next?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Today is His Holiness Dalai Lama's birthday and so the local Tibetan community crashed my Dharma center, I've been with them all day. I have some errands to run and I have a practice tonight but I will try to get all of the requests up until I post this done today. I see some people are asking for more specific stuff which is great!

Good Dumplings posted:

That's interesting, I actually am dealing with a illness getting really bad. Can you go into more detail about this, or is it a specific medicine thing?

In Tibetan medicine it's a specific type of diagnosis, a set of conditions associated with too much wind of various sorts. I am not a Tibetan doctor so I do not know too many specifics. I know I have chronic sinus and ear infections which are associated with ascending wind issues.

:siren: Removed for wrong year here

Reene district 12, and alcyon, I'll get you guys sometime later this afternoon or later tonight I hope. District 12, if you have a specific date for the move I can look at that, or roundabouts, so I can get the Lunar month. That would be good. Alcyon if you want to PM me with your parents and grandparents dates and times of death I can do that, also if you have a spouse, their age/birth year, and also your mother's age/birthyear or if you have it her age when you were born, and I'll do the full workup.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 7, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i'm going to steal the identities of everyone in this thread

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

I'll try and get back to you in 24h or so with everything I can find. I'm in a far different timezone and I'll have to dig through stuff I haven't looked at in years.

also

Reene posted:

this is extremely rad!

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

Paramemetic posted:

District 12, if you have a specific date for the move I can look at that, or roundabouts, so I can get the Lunar month. That would be good.

Happy birthday to the Dalai Lama! My move is August 29; thank you for doing this!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Previously with Siivola I calculated 1989 for this year - mixed life force, bad health, mixed wealth, bad luck.
Considering I was born in January, wasn't I technically born the year preceding lunar '89?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Siivola posted:

Considering I was born in January, wasn't I technically born the year preceding lunar '89?

Got me for trying to be efficient in a hurry! He's earth snake. I'll redo for both year after. Yours is correct.

Thanks for catching that.

unexplodable
Aug 13, 2003
Cool thread, how about a female of 1988?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Impermanent posted:

I'd love to get a reading for a male born 1989 because this year has been a struggle already. What are my prospects for the rest of this year and the next?

Okay got you for real now, an Earth Snake, so look back at the description for Mo Tzu. But she's female so don't look beyond the description. Also because I have things to correct for her.

This year, Fire Monkey, is mixed for life force, very bad for your health, good for wealth and very good for luck. You need to take extra care for your health. The good power and wealth is not like, a slam dunk, you should probably still take care on that. There's no opposition on luck tho so you should be able to accomplish things so long as it's not opposed by unlucky hours. Unfortunately, it's also one of your shi-shey years, the "enemy of four," that comes at the midpoint between your oppositional year (pig).

Your direction this year is Dwa, West, which has been described in the thread I think.

Next year, Fire Bird, is good for your life force, still bad, but not as bad, for your health, mixed for your wealth, and good, but not as good, for your luck. However, next year is one of your three friends, which is always bad. It is also your own birth-mewa year, which also always brings obstacles. And you are the first person to land on the :toot: DUR MIK :toot: which I have seen translated as "death spot" which is a pretty dramatic translation, but your direction is not good for snakes - Khen, Northwest. Indicates a bad year.

So this year isn't great, next year isn't great. Strap in I guess.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 8, 2016

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Reene posted:

Oh this is extremely rad!

Hello friend I am a woman born in 1987. I'd love to see a general thing and how it differs by gender since I saw a guy had 1987. More specifically, can you tell me how a party/meet-and-greet on the evening of the 16th of July will go?

I can't tell you with much specificity if it will go really well or not, but I'll break this down.

Life force is wood,
Health is fire,
Power is fire,
Luck is fire.

From the quick look at the year, very bad for life force, bad for health, bad for wealth, very lucky. Looking at the bigger picture of the year (taking into account lokmen, mewa, and parkha) it is okay for life-force, very bad for health and wealth, and okay for luck.

There is danger of disturbance or attacks from nagas and gyalpos. Perform death-avoiding rituals, life force rituals, long-life accumulations, life-elixirs, and pardoning lives. To mitigate health effects from deficient elements, personal deity protector propitiation rites (bonpo) are sufficient. Wealth can slip away. For increasing power, Bonpo ransoming rites will suffice, also renunciation, offering protectress tormas will suffice. From luck, good gods and protectresses and victorious days will arise nicely.

The lokmen is actually a good one, for you, your lokmen is rabbit, which for women brings "chor-wa" "treasures." Straight up, "extremely good. If one asks the gods, whatever wealth one seeks one will find, and one's enemies will die."

So that's kinda nice? Time to quit being all secular and get your prayers on.

Now, looking at that time . . . not so good. Okay, so looking at dar-gud, the year is "fertilization" and brings exhaustion of fortune. The month, wood monkey, is "aging" brings divorce. That day, the 12th day of the Wood Monkey, Earth Cow, is "conception" and brings ill fortune. The hour, fire dog (7PM-9PM), brings a loss of prosperity.

Elementally, in that particular hour, your life force is good, health is mixed, wealth is not good, and you are pretty lucky.

Based on a speculative thing I've noticed with dar-gud calculations your best hours are from like 1AM to noon BTW. But that is kind of a speculative thing I haven't confirmed or been formally taught, just a thing I noticed with the technique.

When I come back from India I look forward to learning the horary techniques so I can actually answer questions like "should I go to a place" with something more specific than "well, your elements suck then tbqh."

district 12 posted:

Happy birthday to the Dalai Lama! My move is August 29; thank you for doing this!

I was gonna call it a night until I saw this and realized it's just a matter of changing some times. All of the things above with Reene apply to you except where it looks at the time specifically.

The year brings exhaustion of fortune, as mentioned for Reene's. The month, wood bird, brings lawsuit or accusations. The day, however, brings "accomplishing thoughts," accomplishing things you have thought about. The hour I chose was noon simply because it was in the middle of the day, and this brings a long lineage.

For the hour of 11AM-1PM, it is mixed for your lifespan, bad for your health, bad for your wealth, and good for your luck. This isn't necessarily bad for a move, but make sure you have your shots and take care to exercise hygiene especially in that time period.

For the photo, I've shown what changes between the charts in green, and red for what changes on the result.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 7, 2016

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Female, 1985, please. And if you can give a general outlook on my job hunt this year?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Out of curiousity, when you say life force, what sort of stuff do you mean?

Swastikatzen
Apr 10, 2006

Male born 01/10/1983. If you don't mind being specific, how will things look come September?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Thanks Fire Tiger bro :hf:

As it turns out my health really is hot garbage, so this seems oddly accurate.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HEY GAL posted:

i'm going to steal the identities of everyone in this thread

I should be more worried that you'll try and counter my strategies by divining our attributes according to western astrology. :tipshat: Thankfully we are not in the 18-19th century.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grognan posted:

I should be more worried that you'll try and counter my strategies by divining our attributes according to western astrology. :tipshat: Thankfully we are not in the 18-19th century.
i don't actually know how to do Baroque/Renaissance astrology, which I really need to learn one of these days!

edit: 16th/17th. By the 18th century the Enlightenment had told all those guys to be embarrassed about that sort of thing and every now and then you read about officers trying to stamp out superstitions among their men.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 7, 2016

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
Firstly thanks for doing this, it's really interesting stuff!

I'm males, May 1988. I've seen you've already done mine (Dragon fits me well!) but I was wondering if you could do a specific reading for the week beginning August 8th in relation to legal matters (I don't know if that's too specific?). Also out of interest was last year a bad year under this system for me?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Male, may 8, 1989.

I saw that you did a table/chart for that earlier, but I'm kind of curious about the next 4 months or so of this year.

Plate
Jul 5, 2006
Love for the rest of us
Fallen Rib
Female, 1983 (I don't think I saw any other 1983s for female, just one for male). Interested in the remainder of this year mostly :)

HamTyler
Nov 23, 2008
This is fascinating, thanks for doing this.

If I may: Male, June 25, 1973.

Interested to see what you turn up :)

edit: 1st post in 8 years... man. Did I lurk enough?

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Paramemetic, my awful app is glitchy as f tonight. i send you 2 pms. Hope you got them.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

HamTyler posted:

Could you please do mine too OP? Same day, but female and 1994 (sup birthday buddy). Really interesting thread.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

unexplodable posted:

Cool thread, how about a female of 1988?

Pretty straightforward. Earth Dragon, as described before.

Life-force is Earth,
Health is fire,
Power is earth,
Luck is wood.

Your life force is good this year, health is mixed. Wealth is good. Luck is very bad, and you should attend to that by cleaning temples and religious statues and so on, and other similar activities.

Your Lokmen is also Earth Dragon, which probably means something terrible but I do not know for certain. I do know that for women, a dragon year indicates your sky-door (nam-go) which I described before. Basically you may be prone to headaches and danger. You need to avoid going high places like building balconies, mountains, airplanes, things like this.

taiyoko posted:

Female, 1985, please. And if you can give a general outlook on my job hunt this year?

This is the Wood Ox year.

Oxes like hard physical labor and sleeping. They have pure behavior. They have heavy speech and everything has to logically follow. Their thoughts are pure and they like eating and lying around like oxes. The Wood Ox in particular likes to assembly wealth. They are mindful. They are miserly. Their lifespan is 60 years, with six difficult periods. They have danger from decay-causing demons and land-owning spirits.

Your life-force is earth,
Health is iron,
Power is wood,
Luck is water.

This year is mixed for life-force, wealth, and luck. It's bad for your health. Regular health stuff goes here.

For your job hunt we want to look at your wealth attribute I suspect. Water Horse hour is good for your wealth, luck, and life-force, and only occur on Wood days. Today is Earth Dragon day, so the next Wood day is the 9th of July. Days in Tibetan start around 5AM. After 9th July it will continue until the end of this lunar month every fifth day.

Here is both of your charts because I left my erasable markers at home when I went to the Dharma center today and just did these in pen while I was there.

Siivola posted:

Out of curiousity, when you say life force, what sort of stuff do you mean?

The Tibetan word is སྲོག་ "srog," meaning "life" in the sense of sort of vitality. The body is comprised of elements and winds, and the life-force is the kind of force that holds those elements together. When the life-force is exhausted, the winds and elements scatter and a person dies. When the life force-is strong there is a lot holding the elements together, when it's weak there isn't much. Life-force being weak on its own doesn't mean much - if a person is healthy, young, and not in danger, then no problems. But if someone is sick, for example, they may be more likely to die at a time when their life-force is weak.

Swastikatzen posted:

Male born 01/10/1983. If you don't mind being specific, how will things look come September?

The Water Pig year.

Life-force, health, and power are all water. Luck is fire.

It's a bad year for life force and health on account of the mewas and parkhas. It is your sa-go (earth-door) year from lokmen. There's danger from decay-spirits, mischevious spirits, leprosy, and so on. I lack the cultural understanding to properly translate the rest of what this means.

Because of the mewa being 5-yellow there's problems with bilious disease headaches, and particularly from all sorts of kinds of spirits (spirits of the dead, nagas, earth owners, worldly kings).

September should be an okay month per dar gud. It's difficult to make broad statements about months - the months themselves are elements and animals, but each day cycles through them and every hour cycles through them. It's said that the year is like the king, most important. Then the month is the minister, second most important, then the day like the soldier, and the hour like his sword. But each one of those builds up - the elements of the hours of the day are based on the element of the day itself, which is based on the element of the month, and so on.

Anyhow, of the two dar-gud (up and down) I did, for year and month, the year is good, called "lue-dzog" or "development" - it is good for establishing happiness. The month is called "koe-kyon" or "wearing clothes" and is also good, in his case for nourishing one's capabilities or capacities.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Rorac posted:

Male, may 8, 1989.

I saw that you did a table/chart for that earlier, but I'm kind of curious about the next 4 months or so of this year.

I just looked quickly at the dar-gud for this. When looking at the month for dar-gud you compare it with the health element, and rotate through. The month we've just entered begins that cycle fresh for you, starting with fertilization this month, which brings exhaustion of fortune. Next month, conception, brings ill fortune. The prospects are better moving into the fire dog month with development, bringing the basis for happiness. Then in the fire pig month, you have refreshment and enjoyment.

These are just very broad themes and difficult to hammer down without using the rest of the calculation for days and hours. I suspect that although I was not taught it and it isn't mentioned in books, given enough time I could probably crunch down through a table and make calendars for people for entire months on when their best hours and days are.

Lord Banana posted:

Firstly thanks for doing this, it's really interesting stuff!

I'm males, May 1988. I've seen you've already done mine (Dragon fits me well!) but I was wondering if you could do a specific reading for the week beginning August 8th in relation to legal matters (I don't know if that's too specific?). Also out of interest was last year a bad year under this system for me?

This is really more specific than I can get right now. I can look at that week but I can't look at legal issues specifically given what I know - I can give you what days hours and times are most likely to result in legal problems though.

Looking at the dar-gud for the days following 8 August (Wood Bird month, Wood Ox day), you're likely to run into those kinds of problems on the Saturday and Sunday preceding (exhausting fortune and ill fortune respectively) and then on the 15th and 16th, which bring Divorce and Accusations or legal issues.

The 8th itself is "establishing happiness," but these are always very general, I don't usually use dar-gud like this as they are just likelihoods from general themes in one particular system.

Plate and HamTyler I will do tomorrow, I don't want to push myself to get them done tonight because I make more mistakes when I'm tired. Also, wow, I broke an 8 year lurk with a thread, :drat:

Alcyon I did get your PMs and will look at them tomorrow since yours is the full chart and will take some time.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
I thought I might be being a bit too specific, thanks anyway though! Since nothing will happen on that weekend, and I should be done be the next week I'm going to take it as a good omen anyway, a bit of positive thinking never hurt anything.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
I'll be your Huckleberry, OP. How lovely is this year going to be (for an iron stallion)?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
What the hell. The taurus has always stuck to me pretty well so I kind of want to hear it all.

April 26 1984 male.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 8, 2016

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

HamTyler posted:

A Water Ox. Water Ox likes to sleep and laze around, and is especially stupid (sorry). They are prone to harsh speech, rude language, self-importance, and selfishness. Boys often die and there is danger from earth-owner spirits. The lifespan is seventy and there are seven hard periods.

Health is wood,
Power is water,
Luck is water.

This year is bad for the life-force, good for health and power, and very bad for your luck. Nothing significant for lok-men. Mewa is 4-Green, because of your birth mewa of 9-Red you should do a liberation practice like letting food animals go free or so on. The direction is Southwest.

I wish it was more notable for having brought you out of an 8 year lurk. I did a doodle for you tho.

Whitlam posted:

Could you please do mine too OP? Same day, but female and 1994 (sup birthday buddy). Really interesting thread.

1994 was the Wood Dog year. Dogs are proud and belligerent. They have lot of thoughts and love war. They have great attachments and desires but are mainly good. Wood Dogs have an investigative mind and sharp senses. They have good physical appearances and take care of their towns and villages. They can be befriended by nagas and violent spirits. They can have three children. They have a lot of free time. Their lifespan is 79 and they have 5 hard periods. They are often blamed for causing problems in the family.

Health is fire,
Power is wood,
Luck is iron.

It's a mixed year for your life-force and health. It's a bad year for your wealth, and a good year for your luck.

For your lokmen, it is a monkey year and you have a monkey in the yearly positions, this is a little bad. There are some practices you can have done within Buddhism that are for the benefit of naga spirits and also there's something about flesh eating spirits I don't quite understand.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If you don't mind, April 24th 1991. I just moved overseas to be with my partner, so I guess I'm really concerned about that and jobs.

Fascinating thread OP! If I can ask a question, how did you become involved with this sort of thing? How did your life's journey take you there?

HamTyler
Nov 23, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

A Water Ox. Water Ox likes to sleep and laze around, and is especially stupid (sorry). They are prone to harsh speech, rude language, self-importance, and selfishness. Boys often die and there is danger from earth-owner spirits. The lifespan is seventy and there are seven hard periods.

Health is wood,
Power is water,
Luck is water.

This year is bad for the life-force, good for health and power, and very bad for your luck. Nothing significant for lok-men. Mewa is 4-Green, because of your birth mewa of 9-Red you should do a liberation practice like letting food animals go free or so on. The direction is Southwest.

I wish it was more notable for having brought you out of an 8 year lurk. I did a doodle for you tho.

Hey, thanks. That's what I get for asking I suppose :D. It's still interesting stuff. I think if I'm honest I'm probably prone to a lot of those things (aren't we all?). Certainly liking to sleep.

I see most people have hard periods - are these defined any further or is it intended just as a 'there will be x trials to endure in your lifetime' sort of thing?

Love the doodle, that's grand. Cheers!

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it
I'm really enjoying this thread, thanks for the detailed OP.

Haven't seen a prediction for 1982, pre-Spring: 13 February 1982, female.

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

Female, 1986, going through some really bad things this year and health things and potentially could die. Am I gonna die? I'm not afraid of the answer, I think it's better to be prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Account McAccount posted:

Female, 1986, going through some really bad things this year and health things and potentially could die. Am I gonna die? I'm not afraid of the answer, I think it's better to be prepared.

I can't answer that. Be prepared regardless, but I haven't learned the methods for calculating this. It's part of a different aspect of astrology that is based on the same things but there are different techniques when dealing with sick people. I'm sorry to hear that you are not well and I hope the best for you.

As a 1986 birth you're a Fire Tiger like me, and I can say that the year is not good for us generally. It is our oppositional enemy year, it is the same element as us, it is a black year altogether. These things taken altogether make it not great for us to begin with.

Life force is wood,
Health is fire
Power is fire
Luck is iron.

Short look shows a very bad year for life force, bad health, bad wealth, good luck. Long look doesn't change it at all.

In theory, the Southeast is the best direction for you to travel for receiving medicine, and the North is the direction for revitalizing the life-force. With regards to medicine, probably you should go to whatever is the best hospital and doctor for your condition, but if it is in the Southeast I would take that as an auspicious omen.

I hope everything comes well for you. When I learn how to do medical calculations towards the end of this (Western) year, I will update this thread and maybe we can go from there.

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

I'm really enjoying this thread, thanks for the detailed OP.

Haven't seen a prediction for 1982, pre-Spring: 13 February 1982, female.

You're born on the 20th day of the 12th month of the Iron Bird year.

Iron Bird is heroic and powerful and rich, and has a lot of attachment and desire for wealth of grains, food, ddrink, and so on. I am having a hard time translating the next sentence because it's very short, I think they are mainly people of change, but I can't make sense of the grammar. Sorry. The lifespan is 70 and there are 7 difficult periods, and four children.

Life force is iron,
Health is water,
Power is iron,
Luck is water.

It's a bad year for life-force and power, a good year for health, and mixed luck. Nothing special on the lok-men.

I will say that next year and the year after will be some of the harder years, as that will be your birth animal and then the year following will be the worse yet as the neighbor, for women. So there's that. This year however is just bad for the usual reasons.

teen witch posted:

If you don't mind, April 24th 1991. I just moved overseas to be with my partner, so I guess I'm really concerned about that and jobs.

The Iron Sheep year. Sheep is of few words, with a deluded intelligence and a lot of desire for food, but a pure mind. They are long-suffering and forebearing and do not benefit or harm others much. They are very lazy. Iron Sheep is big bodied and has tame senses. They have little mindful awareness. They have lots of enemies and gossip. They get sickness of the eyes. They have few children and live to 81. They have 4 difficult periods and are in danger from Nagas.

Your life force is earth,
Health is earth
Power is iron
Luck is fire.

This year the life-force is not good. Health is mixed. Power is good and luck is very good.

Your lok-men is luk, which for women (I assumed) you are in phung-gyo, "decay/lawsuit." You can suffer losses and have depression and business and so on will go badly. Within Buddhist practice, making tsa-tsa, pacifying enemies, practicing Norgyunma, and making offerings to your local deities is good. There are some other particular sutras you can recite as well.

quote:

Fascinating thread OP! If I can ask a question, how did you become involved with this sort of thing? How did your life's journey take you there?

I've been practicing Tibetan Buddhism for several years and have had the good fortune to become the attendant/assistant for my Lama. Last year one of the major Tibetan medical institutes offered an online class, which I asked him if I should take it. He said no, I shouldn't study medicine, but if I studied astrology that would be good. A few months later I was in touch with another Khenpo in the city where I studied Tibetan, some 3 hours away. I have commuted down there once a week for several months now while memorizing the preliminary texts and then training in the techniques.

Generally, I think I spoke a little about the benefits for astrology in the OP, but for a ritual practitioner it is very useful. It's said that the Buddha taught 84,000 heaps of Dharma so that there is some practice that is best for everyone. For example, my wife is not much of a ritualist at all but she's a meditator with a very stable mind. She doesn't care much for all the burning incense and chanting mantra and suchlike. On the other hand I have a proclivity for ritual and so the Lama, having identified that, has directed my studies and practices so I can benefit beings through that. In the future, I hope to be able to offer my services as an astrologer commercially on my own and then also for the benefit of practitioners as well. Particularly this kind of astrology is useful for Buddhists because it says very clearly what practices to do for a year, on top of whatever one is directed to do by their own Lama. So for example if someone has very weak life-force, they might want to specially seek out empowerments or rituals that benefit the life-force like Amitayus or White Tara or so on.

As for Buddhism itself, I became Buddhist coming out of the Western Esoteric Tradition. I have generally been a spiritual/religious guy since I was a young child, but when I made contact with the Dharma it clicked for me and after some investigation I realized that this is the spiritual path for me.

HamTyler posted:

Hey, thanks. That's what I get for asking I suppose :D. It's still interesting stuff. I think if I'm honest I'm probably prone to a lot of those things (aren't we all?). Certainly liking to sleep.

I see most people have hard periods - are these defined any further or is it intended just as a 'there will be x trials to endure in your lifetime' sort of thing?

Love the doodle, that's grand. Cheers!

The description stuff I think I said I don't pay much heed towards. It's primarily included in the book for people who are planning families. If someone comes and says "hey I am looking to have a kid, is that a good idea?" then I can look and go "well, next year is a Fire Bird year, so the child may have these characteristics, also your husband is a Fire Rabbit so they might fight alot" or something like this. I haven't formally trained on that kind of astrology yet, but I have permission to read the book and use what I can.

The difficult periods coming from those same descriptions are just sort of heads up warnings about how many years will just be completely lovely. A difficult period is just what it sounds like, and it may last several years or just a few months. They are more likely to occur around one's own animal year, so ages 13, 25, 37, 49, 61, 73, and so on, and then the year before (men) or after (women) will be worse than those years.

I am in the interest of time not doing super complete rundowns. I am going to do the complete "everything I can get" for Alcyon just because he provided a bunch of additional information for me and asked specifically for that, as well as for Hey Gal for some certain date ranges and so on. There are also things like the mewas (9 year number table cycle) which have their own interpretative information (they also provide things like possible former lives, possible future lives, practices one should do in life, possible careers, and so on) which also give a lifespan, what types of diseases one is prone to, and so on, and sometimes contradict the animal sign stuff. How one weights that information is up to the astrologer and his or her experience, training, and so on. And the directions have their own set of predictions, also, which I have been skipping - again in the interest of time, I haven't translated all of them and doing three translations (animal, mewa, and parkha) for everyone would be too much.

I've been including the animal sign stuff just because Westerners usually love that stuff, and also because sometimes they are fun to translate (like just straight up calling someone dumb).

• Locked thread