Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

PV

Kouhei Inuzuka is a teacher who has been caring for his little daughter on his own since his wife's death. He's no good at cooking, so he and his daughter Tsumugi have been eating packaged meals from the convenience store. A series of events lead him one evening to a restaurant run by the mother of one of his students, Kotori. Her mother isn't there, but Kotori does her best to feed them both. It turns out Kotori is often alone since her parents are divorced and her mother is frequently not around. The three of them begin to meet and cook tasty food together.

Based on the super-cute manga by Gido Amagakure, sweetness & lightning is airing on Crunchyroll. I also recommend reading the manga (also available on CR) which has been a Dad Manga Thread favorite. FYI the daughter, Tsumugi, is voiced by Rina Endou who voiced Hina in Barakamon.

Tsumugi is the cutest and that's really all you need to know to start with :3:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It was super good! So far it's right up there with Bunny Drop (anime!) and Yotsuba&.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm already completely emotionally invested in all the characters so I don't think I'll make it without crying at least once per episode.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 4, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You will die if you watch this show.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Episode 1 feels ;_;

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So did they get a six year old to do the voice like they did Barakamon or?

Edit: Well I'm a tit; they got the girl who did the other young girl in Barakamon (who's 11) to do the voice.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'm really liking the voices and the animation, so ... essentially everything about this is 100% my jam.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I don't know if I'm remembering wrong, but I recall in the Recommend a Manga w/ One Page thread, someone put up a page of Sweetness and Lightning and for some reason there was this rear end in a top hat that completely dismissed it for some arbitrary reason and thinking about it makes me want to go back in time and throttle that poster

that said, gonna be aoty tbh

Gale Raziya
Jun 18, 2014

I'm very excited to watch the man, the hairchild and the girl be cute.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Compendium posted:

I don't know if I'm remembering wrong, but I recall in the Recommend a Manga w/ One Page thread, someone put up a page of Sweetness and Lightning and for some reason there was this rear end in a top hat that completely dismissed it for some arbitrary reason and thinking about it makes me want to go back in time and throttle that poster

that said, gonna be aoty tbh

have you considered not wishing violence upon others

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
possibly

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
1. That was SO GOOD. I feel a bit silly for being worried about the anime adaptation now. (Provided they keep it up, of course, but this episode went a long way toward assuaging those fears.)

2. Brian the Sun sure gets around these days.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Has there ever been one of these "single dad with a child" manga where the child is a boy instead of a girl?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gakuen babysitters is pretty close

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Has there ever been one of these "single dad with a child" manga where the child is a boy instead of a girl?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/father-and-son/volumes

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

in addition to Father and Son a lot of the BL ones do, plus Chichikogusa

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I feel extremely invested in the happiness of this small fluffy child thing after only one episode and hope she eats many super delicious things over the course of this series. :3:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Overlord K posted:

I feel extremely invested in the happiness of this small fluffy child thing after only one episode and hope she eats many super delicious things over the course of this series. :3:

I've got good news for you: that is what this show is about.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
What... no I'm not crying. It's just good. I just have something in my eye...

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Crying While Eating Anime

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/749092556240105473

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want a stuffed Mr. Galigali!!

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 5, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Crunchyroll promotional account coming on strong lol

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Everything Burrito posted:

a lot of the BL ones do

This statement does not breed a lot of confidence in me

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Futaba Anzu posted:

Not going to deny there aren't some of those, but I don't link those in the dad manga thread :v:

Sometimes you'll see a sequel with the kid(s) after they get older though, like Yozora no Sumikko de and Kozure Ookami

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

chumbler posted:

You will die if you watch this show.
It's too late, I am already dead.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
https://a.pomf.cat/ytzhol.webm

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Expected this to end with "It went back up," 2/10.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I am utterly enchanted by this anime.

Mirage posted:

Expected this to end with "It went back up," 2/10.

Well, now someone has to post it.

https://my.mixtape.moe/utbybt.webm

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kinda surprised it took this long tbh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Futaba Anzu posted:

I was going to express concern at the fact that the parent-child pairs were usually either opposite sex or the same sex the parent happens to be attracted to (i.e. straight single dads having daughters and BL parents having sons) but it seems like there are enough dad-child comics with sons that I don't think this is a big concern most of the time (*cough* Usagi Drop *cough*). I imagine most of it is just due to a general perception of little girls being cuter than little boys.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i don't think i've ever seen another series of the genre do what usagi drop did, and even then the mangaka's other series (that i've read) are fine, so i've written that one off as a temporary bout of insanity

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is going into a restaurant that looks like someone's house to eat a nice bowl of plain rice something that actually happens in Japan?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most of them probably don't invite you in and feed you when they're closed and the main staff aren't there :v:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Is going into a restaurant that looks like someone's house to eat a nice bowl of plain rice something that actually happens in Japan?

Usually they serve you something with that rice.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Artisanal, heirloom, small batch, locally sourced, handcrafted rice bowls.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Logicblade posted:

What... no I'm not crying. It's just good. I just have something in my eye...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anyway, I have to say it was funny how it turned out. I was guessing that she was going to turn out to be running the restaurant on her own, or was already quite the accomplished cook.

But, nope.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Tsumugi is the cutest, but the dad is also extremely cute. Do not ignore the cute dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Tsumugi is the cutest, but the dad is also extremely cute. Do not ignore the cute dad.

There's no danger of that, I can assure you

• Locked thread