Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Looked for a UPS thread to ask my question and there isn't one because I'm guessing it doesn't come up often. I'm looking to buy a UPS to serve as a battery backup for my home computer system (primarily just to give me enough time to save my work or my game and shut the thing down) while also giving me an idea of what devices I have plugged in are drawing at the wall using a nice little display. The computer uses ~450 watts at load at least according to power supply calculator (using an 800watt gold-plus PSU from the days when I tried SLI). I'm hoping to spend <$200 but I'll spend a little more if there's good reason. I know APC is kind of the biggest name in the business and a cursory search on amazon and newegg shows they are well-rated if pricey. What are some good options? Are there a couple that pretty much everyone uses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Cyberpower sinewive are the best value and work great.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Don Lapre posted:

This. It's critical you get a UPS that outputs true sine wave power, cheaper UPSes and older models from good brands put out an ugly square-ish wave that confuses modern power supplies. Cyberpower used to be a kind of cheap low-end brand but they kicked the established brands' asses on the transition to building cost-effective true sine wave models.

E: Expanding a bit since this thread is becoming more of a one-stop UPS shop: Modern power supplies use Active Power Factor Correction, which is a weird electrical thing that reduces the amount of electricity wasted in the wires on the way to your house (and technically in your walls too to some extent). This works by looking at the shape of the electrical waveform coming in, which is usually a nice survy sine wave. Cheap UPSs put out an ugly blocky waveform ("approximated sine wave"), which causes the power supply to draw pulses of high current, which overloads the UPS and can even risk damage to the power supply, UPS, or both. This is why many good UPSs with true sine wave output often have "PFC" in the model.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 7, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Amazon have a deal-of-the-day for a 600W CyberPower UPS.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Thanks for the advice!

Awesome, thanks for the link.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
drat I just came to ask this question and I missed the huge deal on this!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Don Lapre posted:

This.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

KingKapalone posted:

It just came in and it's pretty nice. For my computer and one 27" monitor, it looks like it can last around 35-40 minutes with normal use. I'm guessing it goes on sale pretty often so it'd be worth setting up a price alert for.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

bloodychill posted:

It just came in and it's pretty nice. For my computer and one 27" monitor, it looks like it can last around 35-40 minutes with normal use. I'm guessing it goes on sale pretty often so it'd be worth setting up a price alert for.

It's actually gone UP in price since May. That deal was the lowest ever.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

KingKapalone posted:

Back today for a lightning deal right now for $85 if anyone else like me and you missed the last deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Yep lucked out and saw it. On its way.

• Locked thread