Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
This is a really loving cool project. I'm gonna have to start watching the US government auctions for a HMMWV ambulance or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tomarse posted:

you bastard! I also want one for my series 2 - my hardtop has one fitted but the seal is hosed as are the hinges and so it leaks a lot (i think i'm going to bolt the handle and silicone it shut)

The Webasto Hollandia 100's look alright and are about £200 new (http://www.webasto.com/int/markets-products/car/retrofit-roof-systems/our-sunroofs/pop-up/)

The hinges on the rear doors are 1.5m long heavy duty hinges. The weight of a wheel will probably stop them creaking like they do at the moment!

You could look at Jeep Wrangler spare tire carriers for ideas for a latch to take the weight off those hinges when it's closed. Taking bumps will get things flexin' in no time if the weight isn't balanced (can't tell if there's something behind that tire getting the job done or not).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cakefool posted:

Speaking of which you'd only need to raise the roof 350mm to have proper standing height and space for a double bed over the cab...

I read this as cm and thought you were genuinely insane.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think most of that stuff in the US uses pumice. But I don't think I've read the label since I was a kid, so who knows.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

meltie posted:

Silly question; is PTFE tape safe with brake fluid?

It'll dissolve in seconds. The threads probably aren't what's sealing; usually brakes rely on flares mating up properly rather than threads. The threads just force them together.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tomarse posted:

Yeah, I'm only using ptfe on the very outer threads of the bleed nipples to see if it means the pressure bleeder will work on them - I think it might be pulling air past the threads. When tightened the nipples seal against fluid with a mating face at the bottom end, not with the threads.
In the end I just couldn't get the pressure bleeder to work on the smaller back nipples so I bled it manually and actually now have brakes! :)

NICE!

There's got to be some kind of sealant that'll survive brake fluid, so if you want to use something I'd do some reading. I don't know off the top of my head, but that teflon tape will melt and turn to goo. I'm not sure I'd want to risk that stuff getting into the system, unless maybe you just put it on the last couple of threads that mate with the caliper.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I really like that idea and will be putting it to use soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

WD40 is also not very good at what you're trying to use it for.

• Locked thread