Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Yaaay! I was hoping you'd post about it at some point :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

We should have some kind of UK goon meet in it.

Interesting that the only two UK campervan projects are classics with V8s.

Yes yes wrenchmeet yes!

I wanted to put a hammock in the Lightweight. Which coincidentally had a V8. Anyway, s'gone now.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Disc brakes?!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

Yep! Like Dave said, its the Zeus kit. It cost me far too much money but should actually make it stop! (Ive done about 20 miles with them since fitting and all of that with a hosed master cylinder but they were still better than the drums)

[...]

This is what a hub should look like with less crud:

My god that's tidy. I used to take the IIa out so infrequently that I was fiddling with the drums before each trip.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

Eventually I got it moved back in and decided to strip down the most disgusting side of the rear brakes.

After 1 can of brake cleaner it looked like this:

One of the pistons in the wheel cylinder is stuck solid, which starts to explain the poo poo brakes. Going to do the other 2 corners tomorrow. I suspect that the other rear cylinder is also stuck.

Ugh, I fully support your disgust. I really, really hated the drums on my Lighty. Think I might have already said this.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Swarfega's bloody ace. They do one with bits in too.

Screwfix (or machine mart?) do a full-face safety mask that's really good for wearing while face-up under the truck - even better than goggles.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

I'm about to buy 2 more of these for the back cylinders and fit them with ptfe tape on the threads and see if it makes it easier to use. If it does then the series is getting big nips all round!

Silly question; is PTFE tape safe with brake fluid?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

Ever since actually putting petrol in the tank I have been unable to get the truck to start and run for more than about 5 mins before it splutters and dies (kinda like it was flooding...). Revving it causes it to splutter and die (also kinda like it was flooding....). Tickover was much faster than it should be. Once it stalled it would only (badly) restart after leaving it for a couple of hours.

Fuel filter's full of crud?

e: doh

meltie fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 20, 2016

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

Hmm, will investigate.. would that remove por15?

It's a fairly simple big tank (with extra orifices) but then it is welded/bonded into a cradle (which I assume is required to take the weight with it being fixed only at both ends)

I suspect the cradle adds quite a bit of cost, along with the way that the pattern replacement will be made to match this exactly (otherwise the rivet counting 101 owners won't buy 'em :( )

Possible to stick a motorsports fuel cell inside?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

- replace the front window channel so I can open the windows.

Gonna use the plastic stuff instead of metal ones?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

I'd like to but I can't find where to buy it from! Any ideas?
John Richards surplus has some stuff that is off something else (vehicle unknown - it will have come from a container of random ex-mil parts) which is very cheap and that I might be able to make work.

Cor, it was a long time ago that I got mine. It was a really basic plastic U-channel that I cut to length. Didn't even have any felt in it. Was perfect for the Lighty.

Got it directly from the Series 3 club: http://www.thelandroverclub.co.uk/fitting%20window%20channel%20.html

http://www.ekmpowershop18.com/ekmps/shops/series3owners/window-channel-replacing-the-rotting-window-runners-14-c.asp

:)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

Have got poo poo loads of things crossed off my list including getting my fuel gauges working and my A/F gauge wired up.

Speedo is now also wired up correctly. Need to go for a drive to test it.

Remaining todo list:

Please say that the buttons on the wheel do something!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

Agreed, and it did gently caress all overnight. It is however the easiest penetrating oil/lubricant to get hold of in the UK and I didn't have anything else handy. I must remember to order some better stuff.

Reading up now it sounds like the go-to DIY penetrating oil mix is ATF and Acetone - both of which I do actually have so I shall have to find a suitable container to do some mixing!
Fair enough, but Plus Gas is easy to get on Amazon and basically saved my Landie. Never snapped a bolt once I discovered that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Sweevo posted:

Even the random cans of penetrating spray made by companies you've never heard of sold in Poundland or Aldi work better than WD40. WD40 is fine for displacing water, but it's a bit crap at virtually everything else people use it for.

Aye. The Halfords own-brand stuff got a shitted-up spark plug out for me in a pinch last week.

InitialDave posted:

Plus Gas is great, especially as it's available in simple tins with a dripper nozzle rather than just aerosols - you get a lot more actual product for the money.

I once made the mistake of decanting the liquid version into an old-skool pump oil can for ease of application. All the volatiles evaporated out through the pump bit. Whoops.

• Locked thread