Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaquin
May 12, 2007
some thousand year heritage of history of all manners and varieties, wise and dull, liberty and tyranny and with a brush of his apeish paw, Moridin declares Harry Potter the cultural touchstone of England

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I don't know man, I work with an English guy and he's a total retard, don't ask me

Also eminent domain wouldn't work in that situation.

None of it goes away but as the video touched upon as well, it's the idea that brings in the money, not the actual stuff. Jewels are cool but if they belong to actual monarchs then it's enough to get people to spend money like morons

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
Post more hot North Korean babes and less crown jewel talk plz 🇬🇧

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shaquin posted:

what the gently caress does this mean moridin. do you think hogwarts is loving real???

cmon really? their film and tourism industry exploded

for example:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/nov/14/harry-potter-boost-british-film-industry

quote:

But the astonishing success of the author's adventures has prompted a recession-defying revival in which UK film production is at near record levels today.

Leavesden, near Watford, was once a Rolls-Royce factory, but the 170-acre site now symbolises a possible future for the British economy in which Britain is a hub for creative, rather than manufacturing, talent.

hell I spent an extra day in London just to go see King's Cross (except platforms 9 and 10 are in their own separate terminal building which was closed loving BRITS)

All I said is I bet Harry P brings in more money than the royals do, it's not that insane of a statement you morons.

e: http://www.economist.com/node/15108711

quote:

The first company to be transformed was Bloomsbury, a London publishing house. It was a somewhat unlikely home for a blockbuster children's book series. In 1996 the firm's children's books division had generated just £732,000 ($1.2m) in sales, compared with £4.7m for the reference division.

By the middle of this decade, with Bloomsbury's revenues above £100m, rival publishers were griping that there was no point bidding against the firm for a children's title.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/07/harry-potter-inc-how-the-boy-wizard-created-a-21-billion-business/241948/
Harry Potter, Inc: How the Boy Wizard Created a $21 Billion Business

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 13, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Teikanmi posted:

Also eminent domain wouldn't work in that situation.

based on what? your parliament can do whatever they want at the end of the day that's why they are the parliament

e: unless you're saying the queen can stop them in which case lol x 10

Shaquin posted:

with a brush of his apeish paw, Moridin declares Harry Potter the cultural touchstone of England

i like that turn of phrase though

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 13, 2016

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol that dude is like 'i haven't eaten a full meal in a week'

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I'd go to England just to see the royal family if you got them all together in the same spot and put 'em on a rope.

naem
May 29, 2011

Dubplate Fire posted:

Post more hot North Korean babes and less crown jewel talk plz 🇬🇧

TEN POINT S FOR GEIFFENDDOR

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Ork of Fiction posted:

I'd go to England just to see the royal family if you got them all together in the same spot and put 'em on a rope.

https://youtu.be/tqhZiDux9y8

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
More than any GBS thread about a fat person, this one has inspired me to read several really interesting Wikipedia history articles.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
hmm yes as an American shitlord obsessed with children's books I think I'm an authority on the british royal family please let me tell you my opinions on the matter gbs north korea thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Dear Leader is grumpy,

North Korea: U.S. "crossed the red line," effectively declared war

North Korea's top diplomat for U.S. affairs told The Associated Press on Thursday that Washington "crossed the red line" and effectively declared war by putting leader Kim Jong Un on its list of sanctioned individuals, and said a vicious showdown could erupt if the U.S. and South Korea hold annual war games as planned next month.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-korea-us-crossed-red-line-declared-war/

SHOWDOWN IN THE DMZ SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!!!!

• Locked thread