Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

thathonkey posted:

cubicles are the worst invention for modern workers ever to be conceived

How come? I've never worked in one, but I thought it would isolate you from annoying coworkers pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

PureEvil6_13 posted:

Same guy when to the mini mart during his lunch and bought a sixer of tall boy beers. Set them on his desk when he came back from lunch.

When we were in college my brother and I worked at the same Target for a while. One evening shift he bought a handle of tequila at the liquor store that was right next door during dinner break and since we had to park at the opposite side of our mega parking lot and it was hot as hell, he just brought it in and put it in his locker. Everyone in the break room gave him poo poo, but then after work, everyone followed him out pretty much spontaneously and we stood around his truck for two or three hours bullshitting and taking shots out of Dixie cups that one of the salaried managers had just taken off of a shelf as we all left. Looking back, Target was a good place to work in Florida in the early 2000's.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Runefaust posted:

My boss is married to a Japanese woman and they have a 10 year old son. They haven't been intimate in years, they sleep in separate rooms, and every time he's attempted to bring up divorce his wife threatens to either take his son and flee back to Japan or commit seppuku.

To fulfill his needs, he sleeps with hookers.

Did he tell you this or is it common knowledge around the office?

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Runefaust posted:

I've worked with him for around 3 years, and he's both told me this himself AND other people have mentioned several tidbits he's told me. It's common knowledge.

Dang. I guess if it works though. Does the wife know about the prostitutes?

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Renegret posted:

That lady complains about all the petty poo poo that happens it's really annoying.

Also people keep dumping food scraps and those plastic coffee stirrers down the drain in the break room which keeps clogging it and burning out the pump.

Does it start to stink when the sink clogs and the dirty water just sits there? I bet part of the reason that lady complains is that she doesn't like sitting in smelly, unventilated basement with a filthy break room.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

My boss (mid 50's dentist) has been going through a Harley phase for the last year or so. He bought a SuperLow 883 first, then after he learned to ride that one, he made that into his wife's bike and bought a huge Ultra Electra Glide something or other. Since his wife is terrified of her bike, he alternates which one he rides to work on pretty much a daily basis. But he went into this hobby whole hog, he wears boots, a custom helmet, and the full leather outfit every day. He joined a weekend motorcycle club and has the huge patch on his back. It doesn't bother me, because I genuinely like the guy (I like the Harley phase more than the MMA/Affliction shirt phase he just came out of, but less than the blues guitar phase he went through before that), but it apparently infuriates a lot of the other techs/admins because they constantly complain behind his back about how much money he wastes on the hobbies and how he could pay us more (we are well paid; comfortable living wage for all full times employees, part timers get good benefits and vacation days).

I have a Honda 250 and that I've had since high school and Yamaha Vino scooter that I got in college, both of which I usually only ride to the beach or nearby parks in the summer. My boss has known this for a while since it came up in casual conversation one time when he was showing us pictures of his bikes when he bought them, and he keeps asking me to ride the bike to work some time. I took my car to the dealer last week for routine maintenance and it ended having to stay overnight. I was already home when they called to tell me that, so I told them not to worry about it, and I took my bike to work the next morning. My boss got super hyped and insisted that I go to lunch with him and another guy who's ridden a bike to work for a couple years. It was a nice restaurant and my boss's wife met us there. All in all it was fun, but since that lunch, almost half of the other employees have either refused to speak to me if they don't work directly with me, or been completely icy. I'm not too worried about it though, and my boss knows whats going on because someone anonymously texted his wife that night and told her she better keep an eye on where her man was, because I supposedly left the office for a long lunch on the backseat of his Harley. :rolleyes:

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I was looking for a dentist and found one who calls his hygenists and office staff "my girls". Also he's the only male employee. Is this weird?

Weird? Yes. Uncommon? Not really.

Minimalist Program posted:

Haha what on earth is going on in you people's jobs this is insane.

I have no idea. I understand the concepts of progression and hierarchy, so my boss having more stuff than me when he's much older than me makes sense to me. But some people apparently think that buying cool stuff when you have more money than other people is messed.

It's not like he is a miser...He and his wife go on vacation once a year and bring a gift back for every employee. It's always the same for the whole office and it ranges in value from $50-$100. I know because some of my coworkers do research to see how much he spent on us.

This past Christmas he gave everyone the entire series of Sons of Anarchy on Blu-ray.

PallasAthene fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 14, 2016

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I was not understanding this drama at all until I figured out the lady goon part.

Ah.

Haha. As annoying as it is for me, if it had been one of the rare male employees who's worked with us, it would have been ten times worse. That quote earlier about the all female staff is, at least in my experience, the norm. There's a certain type of dentist who hires a personal harem of young hotties as his staff, and the slap-and-tickle going on is pretty blatant. Our currently all female staff isn't like this because of that, it's all female (below the DDS/DMD level) because we have a trusting dad/grandpa type dentist running the place and most of the girls are pretty goddamn hostile to men.

Any time a guy gets hired things immediately degrade into a petty free-for-all of passive aggressive sorority hazing. There was a receptionist guy whose expensive coffee cup got thrown in the trash the first time he left his desk every day, the one whose car "accidentally" got called in for towing twice on days when the boss wasn't around. Most dudes wised up right away and started bringing those lunchbox sized igloo coolers after their lunches got thrown out of the fridge a few days in a row. Any time a male tech got hired, he pretty much got shunned. Any time he asked a question about procedures in our clinic, he would get straight up disdain and eye-rolling, or be told "This is your JOB. You should know that already." And it was a pretty much office-wide thing. I grew up with a twin brother I'm pretty fond of so I'm not used to the "boys are dumb, they don't belong in OUR job" attitude. So when they would sit and laugh about intentionally screwing up the dude's paycheck or taking a cancellation over the phone then not telling him or the dentists so it looked the male receptionist dropped the ball when nobody showed up, I was like :wtf:.

What sucked is most of these guys weren't used to playing that passive aggressive oval office game, yet they had too much pride to tell the boss "Those mean girls are picking on me all the time!" so a lot of them just found work at other places and hosed off. Tbh he would probably have fixed it right away if anyone complained. But even if I mentioned it, the guys would downplay it like they didn't mind. But my favorite was the retired Army dental tech who got a VA job and then told the chubby admin lady that she better haul rear end if she saw him in public because he'd never hit a woman, but if he met her husband he was going to knock out one of his teeth for every time she hosed with him.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

:stare: Your workplace is hosed

The older ladies justify it to themselves by saying "Men thought they were too good for these kinds of jobs before the economy got bad, now they're just here to push us women out." I don't buy it.

Whenever I hear or read about how men supposedly have a system to keep women out of STEM or high-level corporate jobs, I sort of wonder if they pull stunts like this. Its hard to imagine engineers or board members trying petty poo poo like this, and equally hard to imagine women not snitching to HR or a gov't agency that handles that type of stuff. With the men I worked with, you could tell it was a pride thing to have to tattle on girls for being mean.

But who knows? My only frame of reference for men/women/workplace issues is six years in the Air Force. I worked in a pretty evenly split career field and I never came across anything like that. One of my close female friends was/is a C-130 mechanic and said after the initial new-people-on-the-flightline harassment, which she took pretty well, she never took any poo poo beyond the normal poo poo that sweaties give each other. But she was a tall, lanky girl from a truck-driving family in East Texas who chewed tobacco, drove a t-top Firebird, and arm-wrestled the other maintainers over who had to pick up the toolboxes in the morning, so maybe something something old boys club?

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Kind of both. Think less of a daddy figure and more like a kindly old-fashioned country doctor attitude. For example, one of the dentists started here as a tech out of one of those city college type programs over a decade ago. After a few years, she decided to go to college and then dental school, and he worked to keep her around even just part time during schooling, then hired her permanently. I started working here part time during school and eventually got offered a full time job, and when I finished my degree in a nonrelated subject, he took me aside and said I would be getting a raise because investing in yourself pays off.

There's the usual amount of sucking up to the boss in any workplace, but there's constant backbiting and complaining about how much he makes and what he spends his money on, how he goes throes stages of liking different hobbies. If his wife (She's an anesthesiologist, they've been dating/married since they were in college/med and dental school) visits for lunch, people get upset that she drives a Cadillc SRX. It's a haves vs have-nots thing, but I don't get it because since they're both set up and just coasting until they decide to retire, he's loose with his money when it comes to pay, we all definitely get more than the local average for our jobs here. Having a laid-back, kooky boss makes it feel like you work for Doc Brown from Back to the Future, so I have fun with it.

But we have a long-term admin who pretty much feels like she owns the place, and is convinced that if she left it would all fall apart, so she should make slightly less than the boss, but more than any dentist newer than her. :laffo: What's funny is she somehow thinks she will somehow end up owning the business when he retires, and she constantly makes statements about how things will be different when she owns the place. I kind of feel bad for her, because she gets paid pretty well, but I think her resentment comes from needing money because she has a nonworking husband who bleeds their money out on crazy poo poo, like putting them tens of thousands of dollars in debt while making a 60's Chevrolet into a lowrider without ever registering it, then finding out through a vin search that it was stolen at some point years ago so he can never get it titled without risking the original owner taking it back. While he was making it, he told her he was going to win tons of prize money on the car show circuit and pay it off within a year, but now he's afraid to take it out of his garage. Now he just drives her car, and when he picks her up, he comes in and get everyone to sign up for Herbalife and some prepper survival food buying plan.

1redflag posted:

I get the feeling that a lot of said dental harem are just "okay" at their jobs and are worried about being replaced, so they haze the poo poo out of anyone new as a way to prevent succession planning.

It's just a gender thing, because whenever a new girl has been hired, they current employees are super supportive. Immediate best friends and a different person buying them lunch or Starbucks every day the first week, and all that jazz When I started working here, I thought it was the nicest place in the world, and still felt that way until the first dude that got hired while I worked here. TBH if it wasn't for the actual dentists, I'd bounce. But I like all of them and I don't associate with the harem outside of work, so I'll stick around because the schedule and pay are awesome and I still have gi bill money leftover for grad school.

jlechem posted:

Where in the right gently caress do you work?

Inside the universe where Guy Ritchie's movies take place

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Jastiger posted:

This is anecdotal but it seems consistently true: I have yet to be to a dentists office, male or female, orthodontist or not, that doesn't employ women (or men!) that are always at LEAST mildly attractive. Its weird, like only good looking people go into that field of dental hygiene.

You could take pictures of all our techs and pictures of an equal amount of professional models in a medical supply/scrubs catalog and nobody could tell the difference. I'm a receptionist and on a daily basis I see a couple early teen boys come in for a scheduled cleaning or something else minor and leave an hour later floating about three inches off the floor with a huge smile and a bunch of little hearts bubbling over their head. I used to think it was pretty adorable but then one of the techs told me its pretty impossible for anyone with boobs to work on someone's mouth without leaning over and resting their rack on the patient's shoulder or chest at some point. She said about half of the boys she work on end up doing the awkward "let me just fix the way the bottoms of my shirt is hanging and hide my boner while I'm at it at some point in the cleaning.

It was a little less adorable after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Millie posted:

It seems like the women have a dump-a-thon about 3pm because (aside from the horrible poo poo smell) all of the toilets have a triangle poo poo stain on the back of the seats. Like their butt is so loving fat and dirty, they stamp the seat with their filthy rear end crack. It's also a guarantee that 2 or 3 of the toilets will look like a potted plant of toilet paper and poo poo from where it clogged up.

Laughed till I cried.

• Locked thread