Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Blue and Yellow are deploying near me. I have to get to level 5 and help stop this madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh hey, the game's installing for me after I checked the webpage through my computer's Internet browser and told it to install from there, despite my phone's Play Store still telling me it's not available. Weird, but, not going to complain.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Is it better to power up a Pokemon before you evolve it, or evolve it and then power it up?

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Need a little more info on gyms.

I just wrecked my neighbor's gym and built my own on his ashes. It said the gym prestige went down 2k points. What does that mean? It seemed like it allowed me six Pokemon against his one, how could a challenger ever lose 6v1? How does a gym get higher than level 2? When I was fighting I was only using one move. How do I use my otter attack? Is there somewhere I can read all this info?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh hey I just caught a pidgey and a spearow on my desk. neat.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Help, I've some how gotten stuck at the tutorial:

I'm at the part where (I think) you're supposed to catch either Bulbasaur, Squirtle, or Charmander but when I tap the screen nothing happens and I can't figure out what to do and there are no instructions.

What do I do next?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

My office is a gym.

Or at least, it was for a few hours yesterday. Now all of Korea is a flat green plain, devoid of pokemon, stops, or gyms, forever rotating a white pokeball.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tap one when the servers stop making GBS threads themselves

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Lame Devil posted:

Need a little more info on gyms.

I just wrecked my neighbor's gym and built my own on his ashes. It said the gym prestige went down 2k points. What does that mean? It seemed like it allowed me six Pokemon against his one, how could a challenger ever lose 6v1? How does a gym get higher than level 2? When I was fighting I was only using one move. How do I use my otter attack? Is there somewhere I can read all this info?

You can only have 1 Pokemon at a gym but other members of your team can also contribute 1 of theirs. Every successful battle drains the prestige and once it hits zero it becomes neutral.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SynthOrange posted:

Tap one when the servers stop making GBS threads themselves

Aw, so it is a server issue. I thought that might be the case.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
I just saw some rustling branches a block away from where I am. It's night. I don't care I'm tempted to go hunt that sucker down.

AMERICANS ARE GOING TO GET THINNER! AND POSSIBLY MUGGED

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it possible to change your "style" after the start of the game, or are you stuck with whatever you start with?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

Is it better to power up a Pokemon before you evolve it, or evolve it and then power it up?

The higher the CP, the higher the cost to raise it. Evolving is always a set cost, and seems to apply a set multiplier when the pokemon evolves. So hypothetically, leveling then evolving would be cheaper.

But either way, once your player level goes up, the cap on the pokemon's CP will go up, so in the long-term, it probably doesn't matter much.

edit: and evolving gets you lots of xp which gets your player level up faster, so if you can only do one or the other today, go with evolving.

Lame Devil posted:

When I was fighting I was only using one move. How do I use my otter attack? Is there somewhere I can read all this info?

You tap to do your quick move, and press-and-hold to do your power move. You have to fill up the bar before you can do a power move. Think of it like a FF7 limit break, I guess.

Also, you can 'dodge' your opponent's moves by swiping left or right, but it's pretty tricky to do, in my experience.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 7, 2016

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Still not out in Canada yet. Guess I'll check the app store tomorrow.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Zaekkor posted:

So I kept erroring out when trying to buy an item..just checked and I magically bought 8 of that item -_-

On a side note.. I'm sitting at my desk and using one incense i'm being littered with pokemon so it's definitely a good purchase

This seems like an Internet 101 moment. If at first you fail....don't try 7 more times.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

How big does a town need to be before it gets PokeStops/Gyms? I live in a farm town and even zooming out I don't see any near me.

Get Ingress and submit landmarks. They'll probably pop in pokemon go.

Or wait until you can do so in PkGo, if you can't already...?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Rapner posted:

Get Ingress and submit landmarks. They'll probably pop in pokemon go.

In a year or so.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Species by terrain is pretty accurate. I've caught 4 Rattata's in my back alley so far.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Stupid question in the op but what does transferring do?

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Stupid question in the op but what does transferring do?

Transferring removes the pokemon from your collection, but in exchange you get a candy for that species.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I had to use an incense, but I got a Nidorino, 2 Clefairy, Spearow, a Zubat, Weedle, and a Caterpie to show up in my room. Eevee, and the Shelder didn't show up though. :saddowns:

Still really wish any of these landmarks would actually be activated though.

Edit: Just had a CP 101 Eevee show up and caught it! Game redeemed.

Hrist fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 7, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, outside of an Ekans popping nearby in my house shortly after I started, I haven't seen a single Pokemon. I went outside and walked around looking for those little leafy bursts but they don't seem to actually do anything; I can tap on one or even walk to it and nothing happens, so I'm not sure if they're actually a thing or just some graphical effect.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Whenever I get to where a Pokemon is and start the catching game I get a message saying that Pokemon GO can't detect my phone's orientation or something like that and just offers me to catch the pokemon without AR stuff, is there anything I can do to fix that?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Section 9 posted:

Species by terrain is pretty accurate. I've caught 4 Rattata's in my back alley so far.

Can confirm, I caught a Shellder in my bathroom.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I found an Ekans and apparently it's battle cry is a wet fart.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Game is hella buggy and the servers are being slammed but it is also one of the coolest things I have done in a long time - I have no idea if it will last or be a good game at all in the long run but the pure joy of an hour of wandering around catching Pokemon in the world...my childhood has come to life. :3:

My apartment so far has had a few Bulbasaurs for my girlfriend and I to catch, and she got a loving EEVEE here like the first two minutes of her playing. I am jealous~

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I'm getting a lot of piggies and Rattatas. I drove around mostly parking lots and around parks, so a few grass and bug type, too.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Funny story with transferring: in beta, it was called releasing the pokemon back into the wild. But at that stage of the beta, there was no way to raise the cp of a pokemon. People were throwing pokemon at enemy gyms and then, rather than healing them, just releasing them and getting a new, better one. Testers argued this seemed rather callous, almost Team Rocket-y.

So now Professor Willow gets the thousands of rats no one wants.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Can you detect if other trainers are around you?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

shadowvine118 posted:

Can you detect if other trainers are around you?

Scream about how much you love Pokemans.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Any word on when the game's launching in Canada/worldwide, or is it just "soon"?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Used an incense and was immediately accosted by a Nidoking, which I then caught. Game is super cool!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Seems like if you're just hanging around at home, it's totally worth it to leave your phone charging with the game up in a place where you can hear it vibrate. It's been two hours and I've only caught two pokemon that way, but one of them was a Bulbasaur :3:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

And a Pidgey and a Ghastly! Nice! :)

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

This seems like an Internet 101 moment. If at first you fail....don't try 7 more times.

I just thought it was down and...yeah you're right :(

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Caught a Spearow in my room, a Weedle down the street, and a Drowzee in front of the bar. Game owns.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Went out and cought some pokemon at 1130 tonight. The game was not working at first so I missed out on a psyduck and a couple others. Eventually got it wokring by restarting the game a couple times. Got an evee right away 2 blocks from my house.

Meet another couple playing near the local pokestore. Went to the gym which is next to the local icecream shop. Not level 5 yet so i could not challenge them yet. Is there a way to battle other players? Wish there was more player interaction and a full battle system. No idea why they would change up the games core systems so much.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So there is like... seven or eight Pokestops and a Gym... in the graveyard down the street from me. :wtc:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My account somehow got reset and I lost an Abra and Ekans.:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4rmaoc/what_i_learned_playing_pokemon_go_for_4_hours/

Some good info in that thread, especially about the shaking for a sparkle ball, didn't even know that was a thing. Also discovered the cap on gym rewards is 10, no one show in the shop.

Highest I have so far(Satan)

I also noticed tonight there seem to be "rare" versions of Pokemon that are harder to catch and have better moves and possibly gain more points on evolution. I caught a 144ish Ratata, and it evolved with Hyper Beam and went to 400+ cp immediately.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 7, 2016

• Locked thread