Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

It continuously blows my mind how good all the UFC fighters are as commentators. Former/current athletes in other sports that take up broadcasting almost always suck at it but like every fuckin' UFC fighter is great at it even if it's someone that is an rear end in a top hat or who you wouldn't think is all that bright.

I guess UFC fighters have to be all about self promotion moreso than other sports so they're probably more practiced at public speaking.

I think it's more that most of these guys also teach at their gyms or at the very least are constantly advising younger fighters they train with so the aspect of explaining techniques is something they're already accustomed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Memento posted:

My wife and I were about 20 minutes behind because we had friends drop by.

Thanks a loving million Foxtel you utter pieces of poo poo.

OTOH, remember the days when you could just buy these shows for like 10 bucks. gently caress that was great value.

gently caress you foxtel.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Memento posted:

My wife and I were about 20 minutes behind because we had friends drop by.

Thanks a loving million Foxtel you utter pieces of poo poo.

I've been burned like this so many times recording so many sports that I just set the option for the recording to stop two hours after the event's scheduled end on everything I tape. Even that wasn't enough for that drat Jays-Indians game the other night.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

It continuously blows my mind how good all the UFC fighters are as commentators. Former/current athletes in other sports that take up broadcasting almost always suck at it but like every fuckin' UFC fighter is great at it even if it's someone that is an rear end in a top hat or who you wouldn't think is all that bright.

I guess UFC fighters have to be all about self promotion moreso than other sports so they're probably more practiced at public speaking.

Part of it is that in team sports, it's very possible to be a successful athlete by being very, very good at your position without having a deep understanding of the strategy/tactics of the game overall. In an individual sport like MMA, you inherently have to be better at analyzing the whole of what's happening as it happens.

Also,

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think it's more that most of these guys also teach at their gyms or at the very least are constantly advising younger fighters they train with so the aspect of explaining techniques is something they're already accustomed to.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In English football broadcasts, all of the good commentators and analysts tend to be former professionals. The worst ones are the ones who never played the game at all so the UFC fighters getting into it being good isn't shocking to me.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Presser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXpTjklYJ5s

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I would also bet that announcing is similar to coaching where natural talent is a hindrance. Stann and Florian were fighters who, while good, were not phenoms, so they likely had to work hard and think about why a particular technique works mechanically. I bet that somebody like Jon Jones would be terrible at calling a fight because poo poo just works for him when he tries it and he would have no idea how it actually happened.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

fatherdog posted:

Part of it is that in team sports, it's very possible to be a successful athlete by being very, very good at your position without having a deep understanding of the strategy/tactics of the game overall. In an individual sport like MMA, you inherently have to be better at analyzing the whole of what's happening as it happens.

It's the reason why quarterbacks and former coaches are by far the most likely to get jobs as color commentators for NFL games. To be a decent coach or QB, you absolutely have to know your poo poo.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
That was fun, hoping Suarez and Choi get the POTN bonuses

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

manyak posted:

Good judging actually

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
dammit i also got burned by the dvr. this was listed as an episode of tuf instead of a fightnight so it used my "go fifteen minutes past" setting for tuf instead of my "go 3 hours past" that i just set on all sports by default. fortunately by the summaries it looks like the last 2 minutes of round 5 weren't much different from the first 3.

Fifthace
May 3, 2003

No.
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/751662368296345602

I haven't actually watched the presser yet but I fuckin' called it that Gadelha's post fight speech was saltier than it appeared

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fifthace posted:

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/751662368296345602

I haven't actually watched the presser yet but I fuckin' called it that Gadelha's post fight speech was saltier than it appeared

Yeah I can see that. Also Choi got a "you've been on a streak so far, what do you think is the key to your success question" and he just said "I think it's my abilities" :allears:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ironic Twist posted:

That was fun, hoping Suarez and Choi get the POTN bonuses

You called it. Choi is loving awesome, getting on that train.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

i really like watching JJ

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

I would love to see Choi against Swanson. Against Kawajiri not so much

poo poo is Choi still asking to fight Kawajiri? I love Crusher (and so does Choi which is why he keeps asking) but I think it's extremely telling that after Choi brutally retired Ishida instead of immediately mad dogging him and demanding to fight him he's done the opposite.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

poo poo is Choi still asking to fight Kawajiri? I love Crusher (and so does Choi which is why he keeps asking) but I think it's extremely telling that after Choi brutally retired Ishida instead of immediately mad dogging him and demanding to fight him he's done the opposite.

No, he asked for Swanson, but then added that regardless, he wanted the winner of Swanson/Crusher.

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016

Triticum Guzzler posted:

ahh gently caress the ishida fight was so long ago I didn't realize that was doo ho choi... how can I support such a monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

And then there was one GDT.

• Locked thread