Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who blew it the hardest?
This poll is closed.
Conor McGregor 31 15.98%
Jon Jones 163 84.02%
Total: 194 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Apparently, Kelvin Gastelum also barely made 171, and he's only had one fight since his brief forced hiatus to middleweight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dangersim posted:

On a serious note and fanboyism aside, are people really counting out anderson that much? Yes he hasn't looked tremendous in his last fights but he was also fighting guys who hung back and fought patiently. That's not what Cormier is at all.

Pretty much yeah. He has a chance to win of course but theres no real reason to think he will. He also looked bad against Weidman and he doesnt exactly hang back and counter fight, and he trained a lot for that fight compared to not really at all for this fight, and Cormier is bigger and better at a lot of stuff than Weidman

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I think Cormier is inevitably going to catch Silva square on the jaw then to the void, but it will also probably be a cool fight.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

manyak posted:

Pretty much yeah. He has a chance to win of course but theres no real reason to think he will. He also looked bad against Weidman and he doesnt exactly hang back and counter fight, and he trained a lot for that fight compared to not really at all for this fight, and Cormier is bigger and better at a lot of stuff than Weidman

Yeah

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'm going into the fight not expecting much, so I can be pleasantly surprised

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dangersim posted:

On a serious note and fanboyism aside, are people really counting out anderson that much? Yes he hasn't looked tremendous in his last fights but he was also fighting guys who hung back and fought patiently. That's not what Cormier is at all.

DC's a smart guy, he's going to look at the first Sonnen fight rather than the Weidman ones for his gameplan. He was a wrestling phenom in the heavies, he's not going to struggle taking down a MW with less than stellar TDD who weighed in at 198 and will be giving up a good 20 pounds by fight time. Cormier can definitely get him down, keep him down and pound him out pretty easy at this point.

Anderson still looked good against Bisping for a dude who has clearly lost a step or two, and Bisping's the champ now so yeah, he's still great, he's just facing a huge dude whose strength is his greatest weakness.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 8, 2016

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bluedeanie posted:

Imagine Silva Sonnen 1 except Silva is much older, slower, chinner, less prepared, less juiced and all around more beat up, and Sonnen is way stronger and more powerful and has cardio. What do you think that looks like?

This poo poo here.

I understand being a huge Stan for a fighter but to the point where you cant come to these conclusions yourself?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

hey all you guys about to make a "she's carrying 135lbs of extra weight" joke: guess who's the sherdog . com #5 bantamweight in the world bitch. that's right, not aljamain sterling.

LOL

That is a picture perfect PR person statement and it is hilarious.

Dangersim posted:

I can't see a possibility where DC isn't looking to take down Silva right away. He's bigger, stronger, and a world class wrestler. Standing with Silva any longer than is needed to get the range is just asking for a freak flash knockout because the MMA gods are fickle and capricious.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Just because they are both wrestlers doesn't mean they fight the same

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I somehow missed this thread until now, but well done, Bluedeanie, well done.

The downfall of Johny Hendricks has sure been something. I'm guess that he gets jabbed to death my Costa Philippou in his next fight.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fatherdog posted:

Hendricks is unfortunate in that he's very short and stocky so he's always going to have a hard time making 170 while still being too small for 185. Considering how every time he misses weight he's been bragging about eating cheeseburgers I'm sure discipline is a factor, but "Hendricks could make 155 with a better diet" is just lunacy.

yeah his frame is too big for 155 let alone his whole "I like cheeseburgers, gently caress you uncle Dana"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

Explain how Cormier fights differently than Chael Sonnen in a way that would make it less likely for him to beat Anderson.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bluedeanie posted:

Imagine Silva Sonnen 1 except Silva is much older, slower, chinner, less prepared, less juiced and all around more beat up, and Sonnen is way stronger and more powerful and has cardio. What do you think that looks like?

Beaten meat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dangersim posted:

Cormier would win his takedowns differently to Chael, sure, he'd attack differently and defend differently, but the ideal goal is the same. Take him down, pound him out or sub him. It's a very clear route to victory that's easier now than ever.

I love Andy, but he's the rightful underdog in this, and him losing to Cormier doesn't tarnish him at all or diminish him in my eyes. He has balls of steel for even thinking of taking this fight, never mind doing it.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

DC has a pretty good chin too, and it's been a good long while since Anderson has KO'd anyone. I don't see much of a way for him to win this fight either.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Explain how Cormier fights differently than Chael Sonnen in a way that would make it less likely for him to beat Anderson.

He doesn't shoot power doubles

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

colonel_korn posted:

DC has a pretty good chin too, and it's been a good long while since Anderson has KO'd anyone. I don't see much of a way for him to win this fight either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyWG1yWWcF0

English commentary here, 3:40s for the same timestamp.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

You guys know he fought chael again and stuffed a bunch of takedowns and then ko'd him right

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Dangersim posted:

True, DC is much better than Chael ever could have hoped to be.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah it's not like anderson's ever fought an.Olympic wrestler before...

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Dangersim posted:

You guys know he fought chael again and stuffed a bunch of takedowns and then ko'd him right

Bluedeanie posted:

There's always the chance of a shorts grab at least.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

He doesn't shoot power doubles

He gets most of his shots off the high-crotch into hawk lifts or trips. Please explain why Anderson Silva would be better at defending these than a power double.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dangersim posted:

1 week probation bet? I'll take DC

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dangersim posted:

Sonnen has no hands to set up his takedowns and he also relies more on his double. Anderson will have to respect Cormier's boxing while fending off DC chaining single legs all night.

I'm a huge Anderson fanboy and pulling for him, but let's not pretend that Cormier shouldn't be a massive favorite.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

Yes, I agree, the guy that Cormier ragdolled and soundly outwrestled is an excellent argument for Silva winning this fight.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Yes, I agree, the guy that Cormier ragdolled and soundly outwrestled is an excellent argument for Silva winning this fight.

He wasn't on steroids anymore

Yeah and neither is anderson ill make the joke for you

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Sonnen has no hands to set up his takedowns and he also relies more on his double. Anderson will have to respect Cormier's boxing while fending off DC chaining single legs all night.

I'm a huge Anderson fanboy and pulling for him, but let's not pretend that Cormier shouldn't be a massive favorite.

I don't disagree Cormier is the favorite, I'm just confused by people.acting like.anderson silva is a can

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

I don't disagree Cormier is the favorite, I'm just confused by people.acting like.anderson silva is a can

Suggesting that Cormier is going to do the same thing to Silva as he did to Johnson and Hendo is not "acting like anderson silva is a can". Nobody is doing that.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Josuke Higashikata posted:

She used to fight at 145 in Strikeforce for a while. I'd guess she's not a small BW, but she's not a big one either.
...no she didn't? She did fight in their "Women's Welterweight Tournament" but that got renamed to bantamweight later.

After the last Ronda fight she was talking about how she walked around at 142 pounds and didn't want to put on muscle because she feared losing speed and cardio, and also making noises about an 125 pound weight class. Guess she's given up on that and bulked up instead.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
She got some breast implants since then

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zwachro posted:

...no she didn't? She did fight in their "Women's Welterweight Tournament" but that got renamed to bantamweight later.

After the last Ronda fight she was talking about how she walked around at 142 pounds and didn't want to put on muscle because she feared losing speed and cardio, and also making noises about an 125 pound weight class. Guess she's given up on that and bulked up instead.

My mistake then, woops.

Dangersim posted:

There's a huge difference between thinking a dude who has recently beaten excellent fighters, is an active champion and is looking better than ever while possessing the very strengths Anderson is weak against is a hellish matchup for Anderson at this point and saying Anderson is a can.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Silva is gonna get beat down

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

UFC 200

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyWG1yWWcF0

English commentary here, 3:40s for the same timestamp.

Man i forgot how bad Cormier beat the poo poo out of Johnson

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The Gus fight was incredible

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

I hope DC runs through Glover so we can see the Krylovs and the 25/8's of the world fight for the title.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

manyak posted:

Man i forgot how bad Cormier beat the poo poo out of Johnson

TFW Daniel Cormier gets the high crotch in round 2. Actually that was a sick double to a slam.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

He straight up broke rumbles will

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Here's the new embedded. https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/751497136177451008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'd bet Tate's camp just poorly planned her cut because of the new weigh-in times.

• Locked thread