Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I say Texas, build stuff, ISIS

I also say as advisory, let's go full negative attack constantly and forever. Even if it means lying about Obama's position, because we're a politician of course we lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I take it Trump gives a huge boost to "Nationalism"?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go with California, build stuff, Securing the Borders. And we are of course not calling attention to Cruz's birthplace or the fact that his father is Cuban, no sir.

(Cruz is a natural-born citizen of the US, so it's mostly just comical that despite his background he's got a hard-line stance against immigrants.)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I take it Trump gives a huge boost to "Nationalism"?

Actually, no. Trump, like apparently everybody else, has a simple positive 8 as his issue rating for Nationalism. I'm not entirely sure what they were thinking with this issue, as it seems natural that some candidates bang on more about nationalism than others, especially in a Democrat vs. Republican split.

EDIT: Essentially, all of Trump's nationalism is encapsulated in his other issues, like Securing The Border, Outsourcing Jobs, that kind of stuff. Nationalism just seems redundant.

EDIT2: By the way, there's an update on the bottom of last page, if you didn't notice.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 21, 2016

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
California, build, ISIS

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

CirclMastr posted:

I say Texas, build stuff, ISIS

I also say as advisory, let's go full negative attack constantly and forever. Even if it means lying about Obama's position, because we're a politician of course we lie.

EDIT:

TheMcD posted:

Anyway, let's move on to our campaign reboot. One new thing here is that they added a simulation mode that lets the AI go up against another AI. And of course, I simulated the Cruz/Obama matchup, and the result was Obama 384, Cruz 154. With that, the AI made my expectation of not being able to beat McCain's 173 electoral voters, let alone Romney's 206.

Sounds about right.

We've got our work cut out for us.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 21, 2016

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Wait, they have Virginia as a lean R state? Its pretty solidly blue at this point.

Florida. Build HQ, Support Social Security

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slaan posted:

Wait, they have Virginia as a lean R state? Its pretty solidly blue at this point.

Yeap. Virginia has 40% Dem, 18% Indy and 42% Rep voters, and of the top five issues, Independents go the same way as Republicans for two of them (Confederate Flag Display, Religious Freedom), go the same way as Democrats for two of them (Supporting Gay Marriage, Reducing Wealth Gap) and the same way as both for one (Fighting ISIS).

So that's a very slight R lean.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Slaan posted:

Eh, as someone who lives in Virginia, that feels about right. The northern and coastal parts are pretty solidly blue, albeit pro-military, but everywhere else is very, very southern and red leaning.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

TheMcD posted:

Yeap. Virginia has 40% Dem, 18% Indy and 42% Rep voters, and of the top five issues, Independents go the same way as Republicans for two of them (Confederate Flag Display, Religious Freedom), go the same way as Democrats for two of them (Supporting Gay Marriage, Reducing Wealth Gap) and the same way as both for one (Fighting ISIS).

So that's a very slight R lean.

I also imagine for the sake of gameplay they've boosted the indy numbers to make some states actually matter or worth fighting for; otherwise the game would be you loving around in Florida / Ohio / Pennsylvania / North Carolina for a full game, and that would be boring.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Yeah this game definitely is more focused on being a video game than it is on the realism which is fine, there's probably a million other games about American politics if you want things to be realistic. The electoral map IRL is currently very unfavorable to Republicans and given that it's the premise of the game it wouldn't be very interesting to play as anyone, so it makes for a more interesting game to have big prizes like Virginia and Pennsylvania in play and California even feasible to flip.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

Florida. Build HQ, Support Social Security

also always attack ad

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

Yeah this game definitely is more focused on being a video game than it is on the realism which is fine, there's probably a million other games about American politics if you want things to be realistic. The electoral map IRL is currently very unfavorable to Republicans and given that it's the premise of the game it wouldn't be very interesting to play as anyone, so it makes for a more interesting game to have big prizes like Virginia and Pennsylvania in play and California even feasible to flip.

If you want a more realistic game that also involves the primaries I'd suggest President Forever, though that is from 2008 and hasn't been updated since then.

e: holy gently caress they made a new one!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Grapplejack posted:

If you want a more realistic game that also involves the primaries I'd suggest President Forever, though that is from 2008 and hasn't been updated since then.

A 2016 version does exist, though it goes by the name of President Infinity now.

EDIT: Damnit. Spent too much time looking things up.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
California, build outreach, Attack Ads! (Don't care about issue, whatever we can make a worthwhile attack ad with)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
California, Build HQ, Attack ad on Obama (hates #BLM)

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
California, build outreach, attack ads all day erryday.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Week 1, Take 2

The people have spoken once again.

code:
State:

Texas:      II
California: IIIII
Florida:    III <- one added tiebreaker vote from me

Action:

Build: IIIIIIIII

(Outreach 2, HQ 1)

Issue:

Fighting ISIS:          III
Securing The Borders:   I
Social Security:        II
Don't Care Just Attack: III
^
|
I guess that's an issue now?
I decided to tiebreak in favor of Florida over Texas because I consider Florida more important to build up early. So, with those votes in mind, I came up with this plan.

Fly to Florida...

...build a Campaign HQ.

Fly to California...

...build an Outreach Center.

Finally, fly back to Florida with our last stamina point to get an extra awareness boost. I kind of made a mistake here - apparently (I don't fully understand the system yet) ending your turn with stamina still remaining is called "resting". When you have "rested" "enough" (whatever that is), your maximum amount of stamina points goes up by one, which - if done early - can be a net gain in stamina points available over the entire campaign. Oh well. If we end up with a single point of stamina left from now on, we'll rest and see if we can't get an extra point. That's week 1 in the books, let's move on to the beginning of week 2.

Oooh, political opportunity! Don't mind if I do!

Jackpot! This guy, in my opinion, is one of the best political opportunities you can get. If we max out our awareness in California, this guy is a cool 100K per fundraiser more.

For now, he lingers in our "available operatives" area - he is of no use to us now, and since he sticks to the state you put him in, you can't move him around if necessary. That, and I don't want Michelle getting a Fixer early and knocking our gift out before we get to use it.

Speaking of Michelle, like last time, she's heavy on the HQs this turn, building Campaign HQs in both Michigan and Florida.

As seems to be usual at this point, the polls show us losing more than before.

VOTING

I don't think I need to explain anything about the voting week-by-week. Just give me a state, an action, and an issue. As a sidenote, unused issue votes (like in this week, where we did nothing relating to issues) are carried over as an advisory. So I'll keep in mind that people mostly wanted attack ads, Fighting ISIS and Social Security last time.

As for tips from my end, I think there's merit to Michelle's strategy of spreading out HQs in important states. We still have a fair share of those to get around to, obviously.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Build an HQ in Ohio.
Chat about immigration.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Ohio, Build, Immigration is my vote.

As a real life political operative, WHO WON THE ELECTION*, my vote should count for double.

(IN CANADA, OUR NOMINEES HOMELAND!)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cool Political FACT for the thread: No Republican candidate has ever won the General Election without Ohio.

Granted, getting Ohio doesn't mean you're going to win, but...

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Ohio, Build, Don't Care

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

TheMcD posted:

THEMCD'S HOT CAMPAIGN STRATEGIES, TIPS AND TRICKS

*insert GameFAQs-style ASCII art of a bobblehead Obama here*
code:
  ||               ||
  ||               ||
  || <%%%     %%%> ||
  /|  (=)  |  (=)  |\
 / |       |       | \
|  |      / \      |  |
 \ |     /_ _\     | /
  \|       V       |/
   \      ___      /
   |      \ /      |
   |       V       |
    \             /
     \           /
      \         /
       \       /
        \_____/
I'm helping!

Also, Ohio, Build an Outreach Centre, Securing the Borders.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Screw you bandwagon, we need money first

CA, Raise awareness, MICHELLE HATES FIGHTING ISIS

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Slaan posted:

changing my vote to this

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Huh. I don't pay attention to this thread for a few days and you guys restart the elections. Oh, well, as our party motto goes, if at first you don't secede...

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
We need money, because money wins elections.

Cali, fundraise, fundraise, fundraise some more. And Peter Thiel money mark sets up shop here

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Slaan posted:

This seems like a good plan.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ohio, Build, Immigration is my vote.

As a real life political operative, WHO WON THE ELECTION*, my vote should count for double.

(IN CANADA, OUR NOMINEES HOMELAND!)

We must attack

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Slaan posted:

Agreeing with this.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Week 2, Take 2

The people have spoken!

code:
State:

Ohio:       IIIII <- one added tiebreaker vote from me
California: IIII

Action:

Build:             IIIII <- one added tiebreaker vote from me
"Raise Awareness": IIII
Fundraise:         I

(Outreach 1)

Issue:

Securing The Borders: III
Fighting ISIS:        III
Don't Care:           I
I broke the tie in favor of Ohio and Build because getting a HQ up in Ohio quick is definitely something I would have done if I was playing.

With those votes, I decided on this plan:

Fly to Ohio...

...build an Outreach Center.

Fly to California... and, well, this is where a bit of a problem for me comes in. You told me to "raise awareness", and, well, a lot of things do that. My original plan was to hold a speech, but derp, turns out we're one stamina point short for that. I could put down an ad, but that's not primarily an awareness booster, more an issue score booster.

So the awareness boosting option is to upgrade our Outreach Center from level 1 to level 2, moving our "slight state awareness bonus" to a "state awareness bonus" that helps us every week. This should be the most effective option for boosting awareness quickly.

And so, that's week 2 in the books. Time to move to week 3 and see what that holds for us.

Michelle's turn is relatively simple. She builds a campaign HQ in New York, and she also puts down a ground game ad over her supporting Reducing Wealth Gap. That latter one seems a bit a wasted move, given that we're not going to contest New York (or maybe we are? I wouldn't, anyway). Finally, she flies to Pennsylvania for the awareness boost and maybe building a HQ next turn.

We keep losing electoral votes in these polls and I don't know why. Again, I have no idea how this poo poo works on even the most remotest of levels.

VOTING

As established, vote for a State, an Action and an Issue. Issue carryover from the last two votes is that Fighting ISIS, Securing The Borders and Social Security is wanted.

Personally, I still think we would be well off continuing to build. Still many states out there we could do something with.

Spreadsheet

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Maybe a consulting office in Missouri? We should start trying to get operatives out.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

California, build, Borders

Because reasons.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

CirclMastr posted:

Because reasons.

Seconding this.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Voting for going to California, building, and I still vote to only use attack ads on issues.

We might not stand for anything, but we know our opponent stands for the wrong things. :v:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

Because reasons.

Yep. Gotta get our awareness in Cali up so that we can milk the cow for money

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

Because reasons.

Excellent idea. We need to establish a spot at the trough, and this degenerate Gomorrah of the West is nothing if not a big ol' buffet of money and awareness that we should exploit immediately, if not sooner.

Once we've finished getting our foot in the door, we can spread word of how wrong Mrs. Obama is about our borders, and the horrors that lurk outside them :cthulhu:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xarn posted:

Voting for going to California, building, and I still vote to only use attack ads on issues.

We might not stand for anything, but we know our opponent stands for the wrong things. :v:

perfect

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

Because reasons.
Let's go with this. (At this point in the campaign, it seems as though your moves will be pretty telegraphed. No one, politically speaking, cares about tiny states like Delaware except when they're trying to eke out some last few votes.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

CirclMastr posted:

Because reasons.

Reasons being stacking paper to the ceiling, which is good enough for me.

• Locked thread