Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Uh, guys. Guys, guys, guys, guys, guys. We have an OUTREACH CENTER in Ohio! Upgrading that won't get us more weekly income! Our Campaign HQs are in Texas and Florida!

I made a spreadsheet page where you can check where we've already built what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Seriously, why aren't we fighting for Florida harder?

HQ

my dad fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 20, 2016

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Florida, Build, Israel. We're gonna have to shout about that sooner or later.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Uh, oops. Pretend I said Florida for the build instead. (Ohio's still good for awareness and all.)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

NGDBSS posted:

Uh, oops. Pretend I said Florida for the build instead.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Fine.

Abortion Florida

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Florida, upgrade, and speech obama hates social security

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

California, con them into giving us loadsamoney

Seriously guys money can make up for lots of things in this game, let's get all of it.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 22, 2016

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

California, con them into giving us lodsamoney

Seriously guys money can make up for lots of things in this game, let's get all of it.

:homebrew:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Week 9

When I reload, the indicator for Michelle's interview is still there. Does this mean she actually didn't take the interview and we did even shittier than I thought? That doesn't sound good. Anyway, we're almost in the double digit weeks, and from there, it's not much longer until the halfway point! What are we doing this turn?

code:
State:

Florida:    IIIIII
California: IIII
Ohio:       I

Action:

Build:     IIIIIII
Fundraise: III
Nothing?:  I

Issue:

MONEY:             III
Fighting ISIS:     II
Abortion Rights:   II
Nothing?:          I
Supporting Israel: I
Social Security:   I
Well, this is a pretty easy one to work out.

First, we're heading to Florida...

...and giving our Campaign HQ a well-needed upgrade.

Then we head to California...

...and fleece the people there out of some more money. In total, this puts the money we can play with next turn at a cool 1.3 million, so we can build or upgrade anything we want. That's it for this turn.

In the next turn, Michelle goes to Kansas and does nothing, goes to Massachusetts and does nothing, then goes to California and upgrades her Outreach Center. She also gets the endorsement of the unions, which nets her a -5 on Outsourcing of Jobs and a +10 on State Unions. This colors several states light blue that were gray before, but that's just because unions are important in that state, and that endorsement is basically the first thing that anybody did with those states.

Notice that she's doing things in California. We're going to have to see what she does from here, but that level 2 Outreach Center is going to cause us some headaches if we want to keep her awareness down.

We also have enough points to grab an endorsement, so I get the one from the Not-NRA, since I believe that Gun Rights is generally a more important issue than Tax Breaks or Religious Freedom.

Finally, here's the weird polls again. We lost in the issue percentages and popular vote, but no movement in the electoral ones for some reason.

VOTING

You know the drill by now, don't you?

Spreadsheet

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Florida, HQ
TV ad, Barack Hussein Obama's primary wife number supports ISIS

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Ohio, build, ISIS

As in claim Obama is building ISIS cells in Ohio.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Texas, demolish, ISIS

We don't need Texas anymore; let's use that building somewhere else. Somewhere we can use it to fight ISIS with.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Texas, demolish, ISIS

We don't need Texas anymore; let's use that building somewhere else. Somewhere we can use it to fight ISIS with.

Demolishing buildings doesn't quite work like that. The only thing it does is free up the building spot in that state, it doesn't give you anything back. So unless you really wanted to build a different type of building in Texas (you don't), it's better to just let it stand there.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

TheMcD posted:

So unless you really wanted to build a different type of building in Texas (you don't), it's better to just let it stand there.

We're Republicans; we let the Democrats worry about the aftermath. :911:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

We're Republicans; we let the Democrats worry about the aftermath. :911:

Alrighty then. Far be it from me to let somebody make a bad decision based on being misinformed (like the Ohio/Florida thing we just had), but if somebody wants to make a bad decision while well informed, that's a-ok.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Virginia, Build, OBAMA HATES ARE TROOPS

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Florida, HQ
TV ad, Barack Hussein Obama's primary wife number supports ISIS

I vote this if the HQ isn't max level

and this if it is max level

Slaan posted:

Virginia, Build, OBAMA HATES ARE TROOPS

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

my dad posted:

Florida, HQ
TV ad, Barack Hussein Obama's primary wife number supports founded ISIS

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Week 10 and 11

Yup. This is a thing that happened.

code:
State:

Florida:  III
Ohio:     I
Virginia: I

Action:

Build:    IIII
Demolish: I

Also TV ad?: III

Issue:

Fighting ISIS: IIIII
Seems pretty straightforward, but there's a bit of a problem that we'll run into.

First, we go to Florida...

...and upgrade our HQ. Simple enough. But now, we have a problem. According to the plan, I should be putting down a TV ad. The issue here is that we don't have enough money for that. A TV ad costs 450K, and we only have 275K. So again, I need to make a judgement call, and in this case...

I decide on two attack ground game ads in Florida, on the issue you wanted and the top issue in the state. We need even more money if we want TV ads. That's it for this turn, let's see what the next one brings.

Michelle goes to North Carolina and puts down an Outreach Center, then goes to South Dakota and puts down a TV ad over her supporting Reducing Wealth Gap. She's really big on that issue. Of course, I have to go for the political opportunity.

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. This is one of the two worst possible events you can get. The time waster wastes your entire turn, and there's a lawsuit event that can cost you over a million bucks in cash. So, uh, that's it for that turn, let's move on to the next one, then...

This turn, Michelle goes to California and upgrades her Outreach Center to level 3 (also netting her a Political Operative in the state), and she picks up the National Civil Liberties endorsement, getting her boosts in #BlackLivesMatter and Supporting Gay Marriage.

Here's another look at the polls. Unsurprisingly, we've cratered.

VOTING

Well, this is bad. Our awareness edge in California is melting away really fast, and I don't think my potential plan for saving it can even work at this point without major committment. We need money, we need ads, we need buildings, we need loving everything, and I don't know how we'd get it. I guess I'll go over it more in the Week 12 update, but drat, this is getting worse by the week.

Spreadsheet

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
fundraiser wherever you think is most profitable.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Should've been attacking her on #BLM from the start, but nooooo

Texas, ad, securing our borders

We've lost this one, time to secure our position as governor.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Ohio, build, ISIS

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Cali, Money, Pro-weed

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Get the money

Speaking of which, this game is on steam sale, 50% off for the next 2 days.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Remember how I said last time we needed all the money we can get? Yeah, California, fundraise like your campaign depends on it (because it sorta does).

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Bleed Cali dry of money and funnel it overseas

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

C. Everett Koop posted:

Bleed Cali dry of money and funnel it overseas

what does this mean?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

It means he is actually playing tropico, not political machine

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Week 12

code:
State:

California: IIIII
Texas:      I
Ohio:       I

Action:

Fundraise: IIIII
Ad:        I
Build:     I

Issue:

MONEY:                     IIII
Securing The Borders:      I
Fighting ISIS:             I
Legalization of Marijuana: I
Hey, guess what? I just went and lost all the images I had for this week's update. So I guess you're just getting a short Cliff's Notes version for this week, because redoing the week means things go differently, and then I have to redo the Week 12 spreadsheet page, and honestly, gently caress that. Here's what we did:

- Fundraised in California a lot. Made about 1 million from that.
- Got the Tea Party endorsement.

Here's what Michelle did on the next turn:

- Made a speech about Wall Street Regulations in Missouri.

We also got to choose our vice presidents:

- We, of course, picked Herman Cain.
- Michelle picked Hillary.

The VP does one thing: You put him into a state and he gives an awareness boost every week. 3% to that state, 1.5% to surrounding states. He also gives you money based on the VP's Money stat. Cain gave us a million bucks, and Hillary should have given Michelle the same amount. Donald Trump or Michael Bloomberg, my VPs of choice, give 2.5 million bucks, with no actual downside from what I can tell.

Wow, when I put it like that, it's almost like gently caress all happens in these updates. Anyway, let's just get to the meat and potatoes of this week.

THEMCD'S HOT CAMPAIGN STRATEGIES, TIPS AND TRICKS

code:
  ||               ||
  ||               ||
  || <%%%     %%%> ||
  /|  (=)  |  (=)  |\
 / |       |       | \
|  |      / \      |  |
 \ |     /_ _\     | /
  \|       V       |/
   \      ___      /
   |      \ /      |
   |       V       |
    \             /
     \           /
      \         /
       \       /
        \_____/

Well, first off, here's the spreadsheet with the page for the Week 12 stats. Now, what do I think of our situation? Well, to be quite frank, it loving sucks. Here's how Michelle is beating us:

1) In the awareness game, pretty much across the entire country, bar a few specific states (California, Texas, Florida).
2) In the swing state game, beating us heavily in Michigan and Ohio, while we've gotten a slight lead in Florida and that's pretty much it.
3) While she isn't beating us in the endorsement game, she has tied us, which is basically a loss for us, given that we were supposed to beat her in it. Next turn, she's going to get the Christian Confederation endorsement, I already know this because I checked ahead.
4) In the infrastructure game, having a shitton more HQs and the same amount of level 3 HQs as we have.

Meanwhile, this is where we're winning:

1) ...in the ad game, maybe? She has two TV ads out, but only one is on an effective topic, and we have ground game ads placed that are effective? Then again, those TV ads are still a net boon to awareness nation-wide, so that's still good for her.
2) Also, the political operative game, but that's only because the AI at this level doesn't actually use them.

...you know, I'm starting to see why people might think this game is difficult.

So, what can we do to fix this conundrum? Well... that's tough to answer. It feels more and more like we bungled the early game, and all we can do at this point is damage control. A lot is going to come down to whether or not we can hold California, and just how many resources holding California is going to take. We have money now, and we could get started - late, but better than never - at putting down some much needed infrastructure and ads, but then we wouldn't be holding California. If we do try holding California, it will require building a political operative HQ somewhere out in bumfuck nowhere, and that's time not spent in swing states. Pretty sure we're either already, or very close to, being stuck in Morton's Fork. We need multiple things, and simply don't have enough stamina to do them.

I mean, if you told me to just take over and try and salvage this, here's what I'd probably do (if I really did, I'd probably spend more time thinking about it):

- Build a political operative HQ in Montana or somewhere like that. We simply put too much into California to not fight to the bloody death over it, and the key to that is Intimidators, a political operative type that reduces opponent awareness by 4% per week. Three of those and we could maybe stymie Michelle.
- Get another level 3 campaign HQ up in an important state. We need more base income.
- Run more fundraisers in California. The money we get is still far above what we'd get in Texas (about 300K right now in California vs. about 200K in a hypothetical 100% awareness Texas), and we need money.
- Start running positive TV ads praising us for supporting Fighting ISIS. Fighting ISIS is our winning issue, and attacking Obama, who has a pretty much null stance on it, over it is less effective than praising ourselves for it, since ads are not only directly additive, but also give a percentual increase per week.
- Start placing strategic ground game ads in the swing states we can still win. I'd give up on Michigan and Ohio at this point - too much effort to get back into the game there.
- Hope like hell my operative game is up to snuff.

That's basically what I'd probably do if I took over. I'm really not sure about this. The difficulty is low, but the lack of time is our biggest enemy. Hm, you know, speaking of me taking over...

VOTING

We're going to be doing something different this time. We're about halfway through, and we've had our share of campaign experiences. So now, I'm going to posit a simple question: Who should be running things from here on out? Basically, you have two answers.

A) No problem, keep on keeping on. You folks keep voting on decisions, and I interpret them in a way that seems similar to what you want. I continue giving more in-depth advice every four weeks.

B) Oh god, this campaigning is harder than we thought. I take over completely, explaining my reasoning for the particular actions I take in the updates.

You know, thinking about it, bailing on a campaign that's going up in flames and leaving the successor with a lovely infrastructure really is the politician's thing to do. Then again, you folks seem to be the type to want to ride this flaming zeppelin all the way to the ground. The choice is yours!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A :sherman:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
C) Drop out HillaryMcD

Honestly, this game looks and plays like poo poo. I'm pretty sure a lot of us had other ideas on how this was going to go, but it's really boring. It doesn't even function well as a simulator.

Just like in real life, this election sucks and I will have no more part in it. Trying to sabotage this campaign is about as fun as Trump trying to sabotage his own; it's not working.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

A Either we see Ted Cruz win in the most undignified way, or we watch Michelle Obama wipe him out.

Either way is a win!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

C) Drop out HillaryMcD

Honestly, this game looks and plays like poo poo. I'm pretty sure a lot of us had other ideas on how this was going to go, but it's really boring. It doesn't even function well as a simulator.

Just like in real life, this election sucks and I will have no more part in it. Trying to sabotage this campaign is about as fun as Trump trying to sabotage his own; it's not working.

I will accept that as an alternative vote, should anybody feel similar. I've learned a lot of things about this game in the course of making this, and some of the things I've learned I wish I could unlearn.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

TheMcD posted:

and some of the things I've learned I wish I could unlearn.

Now you've made me curious. What exactly?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

TheMcD posted:

I will accept that as an alternative vote, should anybody feel similar. I've learned a lot of things about this game in the course of making this, and some of the things I've learned I wish I could unlearn.

I hope you don't take my post too personally. You've been doing a good job; this game however...

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

A Either we see Ted Cruz win in the most undignified way, or we watch Michelle Obama wipe him out.

Either way is a win!

Seconding this.

A

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
A) Slim Pickens this poo poo. Ride the bomb into oblivion :clint:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I hope you don't take my post too personally. You've been doing a good job; this game however...

OP has been doing fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, looks like we're going to continue leaving you in charge of this ride, so...

VOTING

As always, let's get our State/Action/Issue on.

Don't worry about it. I assume that if the problem had been me, you wouldn't have stuck around this long to begin with.

my dad posted:

Now you've made me curious. What exactly?

Well, basically, the things largely boil down to two key revelations:

1) Money is almighty in this game. The more effective your candidate is at gathering money, the better he is - or rather, the less effective your candidate is at gathering money, the worse he is.
2) A lot of things boil down to awareness. If you win the awareness game and focus on important states, you're probably going to win. Issues are largely pointless, as apart from making particular moves in a single state, your default candidate/party leanings will have a larger impact than what you do yourself. It's The Political Machine, where the polls are made up and the issues don't matter.

This then leads to some minor things I've learned, such as "some stats are inherently inferior to others, such as Minority Appeal / Religious", and "interviews can be completely ignored, making Appearance / Intelligence completely pointless". Also, things such as "speeches are inefficient, if you're using speeches, you're not getting any long-term results, you're not getting any inter-state results, and you're using a lot of stamina" and "I'm pretty sure the endorsement game is rigged in such a way as to make results balanced, meaning that overinvesting is a bad idea and makes it seem like the AI is cheating to catch up with you".

Or, to boil it down even further, my statement is "I really wish I hadn't worked out how easily this game is min-maxed". Also mix in some "the developers are lazy fucks".

And to show that first part, here is my min-maxed candidate taking on Michelle Obama on Normal difficulty (one level above what we have right now) with a handicap: Every single ad or speech must use the issue Funding NASA, because NEETs need to go into space. No other issues are allowed to be mentioned. If a state doesn't have that issue available, then I can't do any speeches or ads in that state. This was the result.

• Locked thread