Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'll break the tie by doing what Cruz would do and vote for myself

Wait, no, Cruz Fighting Isis. That's what I meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Personally, I'd rather support that Obama Loves Isis

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Say, is it theoretically possible winning this game using only negative ads?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Covski posted:

Say, is it theoretically possible winning this game using only negative ads?

I never tried it, but hypothetically, it seems possible. I mean, there's a lot of room for ratings to go (I ended up banging the drum about ISIS so hard in one of my games I ended up with like 180 positive points), so it could work.

...you want to find out?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Attack the gently caress out of this campaign.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I have proof Michelle Obama sought legal advice on whether she would have to wage war on members of her husband's religion!

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
you're playing Ted Cruz so of course Michelle Obama is a dirty communist ISIS supporter from Kenya

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TheMcD posted:

I never tried it, but hypothetically, it seems possible. I mean, there's a lot of room for ratings to go (I ended up banging the drum about ISIS so hard in one of my games I ended up with like 180 positive points), so it could work.

...you want to find out?

Yes. Yes, we should find out.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

TheMcD posted:

...you want to find out?

Voting negative attack ad, every turn until the end of the game. Why be good when you can be perceived as the lesser of two evils?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, calling it here.

code:
Max HQ in Texas, TV ad attacking Obama over opposing Fighting ISIS (ricdesi):          IIIIIIIIIII
Max HQ in Texas, TV ad praising Cruz over supporting Fighting ISIS (my dad):           IIIIIIII
Max HQ in Texas, TV ad attacking Obama over opposing #BlackLivesMatter (Rarity):       II
Max HQ in Texas, fundraise (shibbotech):                                               I
Max HQ in Texas, TV ad attacking Obama over supporting Big Government (Gulping Again): I
Max HQ in Texas, TV ad attacking Obama over opposing State Unions (Herr Tog):          I
Update is in the works now.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Week 1

Alright, the people have spoken!

First, they wanted HQ upgrades (unanimously so!), and HQ upgrades they will get.

This brings our campaign HQ at home up to maximum, and it gains us a little bonus!

This is a campaign operative, and a special one, in fact. I'll go over operatives in detail later in the update, but for now, just know that they're characters we can move around the map and they do things in the state they're in. This guy raises awareness by 1% in the state he's in. Nothing special, but it helps.

And next, it was decided that we were to attack Michelle Obama on the topic of Fighting ISIS.

Every time you attack an opponent, you get this newspaper thing. I don't get it.

And there's our TV ad, sitting snug between Michelle's HQ and our HQ.

Locally, this pushes her into "oppose" territory on Fighting ISIS, however, that's probably not going to last. That's it for week 1, let's move on to week 2 and see what Michelle does this time.

She still seems to be fixated on buildings - she went to New York and built a second Outreach Center, then went back to Texas and upgraded her Campaign HQ. Seems like she's going for money, awareness, and PR Clout. I'll talk about PR Clout and what it does later as well.

Here's the polls for this week - it seems like Fighting ISIS has actually dropped in importance, while Reducing Wealth Gap has gone up. Not a good start - and I'm not sure if we're to blame here, if negative advertising actually lowers the issue importance for people. Eh, we'll see, I suppose.

Finally, here's a shot of the weekly news wrap-up. You can use this to check and see what the candidates did this week. The small news articles are occasionally amusing, but usually nothing special.

Now, it's time for my second infodump. First, let's go over the concept of swing states. Wikipedia says that "[i]n presidential politics of the United States, a swing state (also, battleground state or purple state, in reference to red states and blue states) is a state in which no single candidate or party has overwhelming support in securing that state's electoral college votes." So if you look at the first page of the spreadsheet, you can get a good estimate on what our swing states are going to be by looking at the "Rep Lead" column in the "Static Data" sheet. If we say that a difference smaller or equal to 5% makes a swing state, we get the following list:

Arizona
South Carolina
Georgia
Texas
New Hampshire
Missouri
Virginia
Iowa
Ohio
Oklahoma
Colorado
Wisconsin
Florida
Massachusetts
Minnesota
Nevada

However, that's too many states. Let's throw out those that are worth less than 10 electoral college votes.

Arizona
Georgia
Texas
Missouri
Virginia
Ohio
Wisconsin
Florida
Massachusetts
Minnesota

If we also take out Texas, which I think we have on lock due to home state advantage, and bold the most important states (worth more than 15 electoral votes), we could get this list of swing states for our game:

Arizona
Georgia
Missouri
Virginia
Ohio
Wisconsin
Florida
Massachusetts
Minnesota

Florida in particular is swing state #1, with it being the #3 state in electoral votes. This is just for your information, as a list of states you might want to particularly target. But whatever, you do your own thing.

Next, I might as well explain the last two major things we need to pay attention to to you - Operatives and Endorsements.

Operatives:

Operatives are what we get when we use our Political Capital, and they're pretty crucial to victory. They are characters just like our candidate, and as such can be moved around the map at a cost of one stamina point and 25.000$. Once we have 5 Political Capital, we can choose from the following Operatives:

- Fixer: This guy allows us to remove an operative of our opponent's from the game.
- Spin Doctor: Gives us a 15% issue rating boost in the state he's in.
- Smear Merchant: Drops our opponent's issue ratings by 15% in the state he's in. Combine this guy with a Spin Doctor, and you can get the swing that might be needed to win an important swing state.
- Consultant: Boosts our awareness by 4 points every week in the state she's in.
- Advertisement Guru: Lowers our ad maintenance costs by 75% in the state he's in.
- Intimidator: Lowers our opponent's awareness by 4 points every week in the state he's in.
- Speech Writer: Gives us a +10 to Charisma and makes our speeches more effective.
- Fashion Consultant: Gives us a +10 to Appearance and makes our ads more effective.
- PR Consultant: Gives us a +10 to Media Bias and makes our interviews more effective.

...er, I'll get to interviews later. Also, the operative we got this week is special in that you can't get him with Political Capital, only by upgrading your HQ. Then again, the Consultant is a far better version of the Political Operative, so whatever.

Endorsements:

Endorsements are pretty simple. When we get PR Clout, we can buy Endorsements with them, which are flat bonuses to issue ratings in every state. Now, there are two (technically three) kinds of endorsement - they're split between Republican and Democrat endorsements, with the caveat being that those that don't belong to your party will cost you more PR Clout to get. The Republican endorsements are as follows:

- Christian Confederation: 5 points to Opposing Abortion Rights, 10 to Supporting Religious Freedom
- National Foreign Policy Committee: 10 to Supporting Fighting ISIS, 5 to Opposing Iranian Nuclear Deal
- The National Gun Owner's Association: 5 to Opposing Big Government, 10 to Supporting Gun Rights
- Tea Party Movement: 5 to Opposing Big Government, 10 to Supporting Tax Cuts
- US Chamber Of Business: 5 to Opposing Big Government, 10 to Supporting Reducing Unemployment

If our first endorsement were to be a Republican one, it would cost us 8 PR Clout.

And the Democrat ones are:

- National Civil Liberties Union: 5 points to Supporting #BlackLivesMatter, 10 to Supporting Gay Marriage
- National Association For Women: 10 to Supporting Abortion Rights, 5 to Supporting Gay Marriage
- National Organization For The Support Of Colored People: 5 to Supporting #BlackLivesMatter, 10 to Opposing Repealing Obamacare
- National Union Action Network: 5 to Opposing Outsourcing Jobs, 10 to Supporting State Unions
- The Environmentalist Club: 10 to Supporting The Environment, 5 to Supporting Supporting Green Jobs

If our first endorsement were to be a Democrat one, it would cost us 16 PR Clout.

Finally, there's one more "endorsement" - "National Organization". This isn't so much an endorsement as it is using PR Clout to rally your forces, which expresses itself as a 2 point awareness boost in every state. This one is the most expensive of all, clocking in at 20 PR Clout, if it were to be our first one.

All endorsements become more expensive the more you get.

Now, I know what you're all thinking: "Should we snipe the #BlackLivesMatter endorsements away from Michelle?" Honestly, I think it's not worth it - at least not without us securing our own important endorsements first (most notably the National Foreign Policy Committee). Since grabbing Democrat endorsements is more expensive than Republican ones, the cost-benefit relation gets worse, so they're not as effective. However, in the end, it's up to you. Finally...

Interviews:

I've mentioned interviews a few times, might as well explain them, even if they haven't come up yet. Interviews are pretty simple as well - when the game decides to make an interview available, both candidates will be told that there is an interview opportunity available in a certain state, much like political opportunities. However, unlike political opportunities, interviews are partisan - both candidates get an opportunity, so you can't take it away from your opponent.

So you decide to go on an interview on a knock-off 60 Minutes, or a knock-off Colbert Report, or whatever else they have, how does it work? Simple - your interviewer asks a question, and you need to answer it. The answers you can give depend on your Intelligence stat, and you also need to make sure it resonates with your base. Don't go into an interview as a Republican and start talking about the wonders of gun control. Of course, it will be up to me to answer those questions anyway - you see, there's a 60 second time limit on every question you get, so I can hardly do voting on that. Instead, I'm just going to answer the questions to the best of my ability, and we'll see how it goes. However, I can't do anything if I get hosed and all I get to pick from is lovely answers.

But we'll get to that once we get to our first interview.

VOTING

Alright, so the campaign kicked off with HQ building and attack ads. What's next? Do we want to go and plop down some level 1 HQs in some states, maybe do some speeches, maybe some ground game ads... we've still got lots of options.

Campaign Assets:

- 610.000$ cash, 90.000$ income per week from HQs
- 11 stamina
- 0 PR Clout, +0 per week from HQs
- 0 Political Capital, +0 per week from HQs

Possible Actions:

- Move candidate or any operative to another state (cost: 1 stamina, 25.000$)
- Create a ground game ad in the current state (cost: 3 stamina, 50.000$ up front, 3.000$ per week - requires an issue and what direction it should go, i.E. "I Favor", "I Oppose", "Opponent Favors", "Opponent Opposes")
- Create a TV ad in the current state (cost: 3 stamina, 450.000$ up front, 30.000$ per week - requires an issue and what direction it should go, i.E. "I Favor", "I Oppose", "Opponent Favors", "Opponent Opposes")
- Give a speech in the current state (cost: 5 stamina - requires an issue and what direction it should go, i.E. "I Favor", "I Oppose", "Opponent Favors", "Opponent Opposes")
- Fundraise in the current state (cost: 3 stamina)
- Build a new building in the current state (cost: 4 stamina, 250.000$ - requires that a building has not yet been built in this state)
- Upgrade a level 1 building to a level 2 building in the current state (cost: 4 stamina, 500.000$ - requires a level 1 building in this state)
- Upgrade a level 2 building to a level 3 building in the current state (cost: 4 stamina, 1.000.000$ - requires a level 2 building in this state)

Spreadsheet

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
And how about we drop the whole "swing state" thing down the drain and steal California with our serial killer powers instead? :v:

Fundraise twice in Texas
Move to California
Build the first level of the PR clout HQ

my dad fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 13, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

my dad posted:

And how about we drop the whole "swing state" thing down the drain and steal California with our serial killer powers instead? :v:

Fundraise twice in Texas
Move to California
Build the first level of the political capital HQ

Is that wise? Not the "steal California" part, but the "build the poltiical capital HQ in California" part. If I wanted to steal California, I'd at least build the PR clout HQ in there, since that one gives awareness, while the political capital one doesn't.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That's a brainfart on my part. I mean the other one. Gimme a sec to edit it.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Move operative to Louisiana
Move our candidate to where serial killers belong: Florida
Give a speech in favour of repealing ObamaCare, or if we can, a speech against the fact that Michelle Obama does not want to repeal ObamaCare... widening the wage gap

Frogfingers fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 13, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Frogfingers posted:

Give a speech in favour of repealing ObamaCare, or if we can, a speech against the fact that Michelle Obama does not want to repeal ObamaCare

We can't do that - again, only the top five issues in a state are available for speeches and ads in a state where we don't have a campaign HQ. I have the issues available listed in the spreadsheet, but in short, the top five in Florida are Social Security, Support For Israel, Fighting ISIS, Reducing Wealth Gap and Securing The Borders.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fund raise in Texas
Make speech about how Michelle supports the wealth gap
build HQ in Florida
god bless

CORRECTED

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 13, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Herr Tog posted:

build HQ in Cali
Fund raise in Texas
Make speech about how Michelle supports the wealth gap
god bless

The speech would be in Texas, then? I'd figure it'd be more economic to do the Texas stuff first, while we're already there, then move to Cali to build the HQ.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Our number one priority in this campaign should be taking California. Why play as the Zodiac Killer if we can't go back home to finish the job?

I endorse my dad's plan.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 14, 2016

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheMcD posted:

The speech would be in Texas, then? I'd figure it'd be more economic to do the Texas stuff first, while we're already there, then move to Cali to build the HQ.

I corrected myself thank you

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost
Fundraise once in Texas
Move candidate to Cali
Build first level PR Clout headquarters
Run ground game ad saying Michelle opposes legalizing marijuana

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Fundraise in Texas
Move to Florida
Run TV Ad in favour of Florida's #1 issue

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
does everyone realize how much money TV ads take and how much money we don't have? Support me.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

TheMcD posted:

We can't do that - again, only the top five issues in a state are available for speeches and ads in a state where we don't have a campaign HQ. I have the issues available listed in the spreadsheet, but in short, the top five in Florida are Social Security, Support For Israel, Fighting ISIS, Reducing Wealth Gap and Securing The Borders.

Then I amend my proposal to attack Obama for wanting to Reduce The Wage Gap!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Frogfingers posted:

Then I amend my proposal to attack Obama for wanting to Reduce The Wage Gap!

i think that would be doing her a favor.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

TheMcD posted:

...you want to find out?

Seeing as this might be a theoretical possibility, I'll put my vote behind the proposal with the most votes, that includes a negative ad and no positive ones, if there's a tiebreaker!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You know, it'd be deliciously meta if the thread had a number of single-issue voters, and posters having to somehow cram these issues into unrelated proposals to get these votes. :v:

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

my dad posted:

You know, it'd be deliciously meta if the thread had a number of single-issue voters, and posters having to somehow cram these issues into unrelated proposals to get these votes. :v:

Adding riders like congress baby

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

my dad posted:

I really just want to see where this ends up going, and I have no idea what other twists and turns could happen on this ride.

Related note, I played a Cruz vs. Michelle game on my own today to see if I could win it. Ended up winning the election with 294 electoral votes and losing the popular vote by 600K. I Dubya'd it. Works for me.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

my dad posted:

Fundraise twice in Texas
Move to California

My Dad has an excellent plan and I endorse his message

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I don't know how we're going to win over a rational electorate with the candidates we've got, or while belonging to a party which mostly concerns itself with who uses which bathroom. I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed. I wish this game modeled the American electorate more accurately.

We have to do something radical. Something they won't see coming.

my dad posted:

Fundraise twice in Texas
Move to California

We have to go to California and continue our killing spree.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

my dad posted:

Fundraise twice in Texas
Move to California

Do this.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

my dad posted:

Fundraise twice in Texas
Move to California

My vote as well.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

i think that would be doing her a favor.

As seen with the last smear ad, focusing on an issue makes the issue count for less. We'll gaslight and white ant our way to the white house.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Frogfingers posted:

As seen with the last smear ad, focusing on an issue makes the issue count for less. We'll gaslight and white ant our way to the white house.

To be fair, I don't actually know if that correlates or not. It might be something unrelated that caused that.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Covski posted:

Seeing as this might be a theoretical possibility, I'll put my vote behind the proposal with the most votes, that includes a negative ad and no positive ones, if there's a tiebreaker!

so thats a vote for me right?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

my dad posted:

Fundraise twice in Texas
Move to California

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki9ppdl9jAs

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Fundraise twice in Texas
Move to Florida

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Fundraise twice in Texas
Move to Florida

This is our best course of action, I think. We should focus on getting our ground game up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

This is our best course of action, I think. We should focus on getting our ground game up.

an HQ would let us make more attack ads in a battle ground state. SUPPORT ME

• Locked thread