Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Anos posted:

The important distinction is clearly fundamentalism. I don't care if you believe "in something more" or are a "spiritual christian" or whatever. I don't think it's anyone else's business because it has little impact on others.

The problem is when people uncritically accept dogma from authority. I think that is a harmful mode of thinking and we should work to limit it. Uncritical acceptance of authority is obviously not unique to fundamentalist religion but it may be the only case where it's both institutionalized and socially acceptable to indoctrinate children with it. That IMO makes certain brands of religion uniquely worthy of opposition.

We must make sure that people follow the principles of Correct Thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Rakosi posted:

So according to you guys who have gone down this whole weird, unrelated victim-blaming route, any father who gives advice to his daughter about staying safe at night; what places to avoid, not to get into cars with strangers, etc. is victim blaming his daughter.

Lmao that having a moral highroad over a rapist is more important than, y'know, taking steps to minimize the chances of being raped.

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is The Holocaust Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Genocide Like Nigga Take My Post-Event Advice Haha

-you

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
how do i measure suffering

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

*person from 1000 AD" lol how do you measure how much energy food gives you? like with numbers n poo poo? haha it's just feelings man

ok but how do i measure suffering

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Alright. I will spell it out for you. I will spell it out because I honestly don't know if you're trying to understand or just being a pithy rear end in a top hat like several others in this thread so far. I will do this, for you. Because I am the lord jesus.

The accurate and consistent measuring of suffering is not currently possible. That is a fact. But there is no reason to think this will always be the case, or that human suffering is definitionally unmeasurable. By analogy, think of the science of nutrition. 1000 years ago, we did not understand the food that we ate on a scientific level, to much if any extent. But now? Now a person can download a Smartphone App that allows her to input everything she has eaten, and get a readout of what foods, and in what amounts, she can eat for the rest of the week in order to lose or gain a certain amount of weight, based on her particular goals. The science of nutrition isn't perfect, but it's far, far more developed than it was a millennia or even a century ago, and it has at least reached the benchmark of being objectively useful to everyday people.

Those in the distant past may have doubted that this would ever be possible, but they would have been wrong. Our current neurotechnology is admittedly primitive; we can get vague notions of pleasure and pain based on FMRI scans and such, but it's not even useful yet. Given how science normally goes, however, I suspect that the smartphone app of the future would be able to read Happiness Levels or some such thing, to give us a thorough measurement of suffering. Once this is achieved, discussions of the basis of morality will be able to go a lot smoother: you just compare the numbers.

so in other words you have faith that it will be possible to measure suffering in the future because of calories

plus you think we should determine how we behave based on a score that will one day be measured in the future presumably leading to punishment or reward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

Therefore science is silent on it, the end.

have faith sedanchair

believe in Science! and you will be rewarded

• Locked thread