Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Please do not bring the charge of racism into this. Islam is not a race

This is something racist people say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Actually, you know what? Fine. Read racism into my comments. Pretend I'm just scared as all hell of brown people. Whatever. Now address the things I have said. When a Muslim commits violence for what appear to be explicitly theological grievances, is that or is that not motivated by Islam? Why or why not?

Whenever a Muslim doesn't commit violence, is that motivated by Islam? Because there's literally hundreds of millions of non-violent Muslims so judging all of them off a tiny minority is extremely hosed up.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It literally doesn't matter if many, or even most Muslims are non-violent.

Yes it does. You're trying to make a judgment to see if religion is a net positive or net negative for society, and you're using .01% of a religion's followers to declare that it's a net negative. What about the 99.99% that aren't violent?

If we could somehow magic all of the Muslims into Jainists or whatever, I imagine the same .01% would commit violent acts, they just wouldn't use Allah as a justification.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

But I think that simply assuming that because the violence is in the minority, it can't be motivated by the religion is a bad assumption.

I find it far more likely that a very small percentage of humans are mentally broken in some way that causes them to be violent. There have been violent atheists.

If you eliminated all religion from the world there would likely still be a roughly equivalent amount of violence, the stated reasons would just be different.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think Jains would be reliably less violent because you cannot justify violence within the tenants of Jainism. The more extremist a Jain is, the LESS violent they become. This is not true of Islam. Islam has the benefit of many passages of scripture that outright instruct a believer to kill the infidel.

I think this is an incredibly naive view. Violence is almost never justified internally by the person committing it, they are just angry and broken in the brain and come up with a reason after the fact.

E:VVV Yo, you quoted my post but put Gaining Weight's post in it.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 8, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I disagree completely that there would be the same amount of violence because, for instance, Sunnis and Shias would entirely lose their motivation for hating each other. Without the religious divide, they are just citizens of the same country; from where would the motivation to kill come from?

Yes, I can't think of any country that had a sharp divide between its citizens for a non religious reason. Certainly not enough to have a Civil War over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rakosi posted:

Doing great on shooting him down outside of his dumb Jew comment so far.

It was a monstrous thing to say. To claim that the Jews were in any way responsible for their own slaughter (even if he's couching it in terms of "they isolated themselves" which is also bullshit) makes him not worth listening to in any way in my opinion. Of course, I am biased, being Jewish.

• Locked thread