Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Honestly, I just can't deal with living in this country anymore. In the past twenty four hours three videos have surfaced of American police officers executing people for minor crimes. We are living in the dystopian age of fiction I never thought would ever happen. This is Mega City levels of guilty before being proven innocent with US cops acting as Judge Dredds. I'm honestly scared for my life, I'm scared of the direction the United States is taking, how this is being justified by the masses... like it's suddenly okay for cops to not brutally beat but straight up kill suspects now? And it's not just people of color sadly, but now it's happening to any white person who encounters one of these psycho cops and thanks to cameras being everywhere it's constantly being seen. Every day a new story appears where someone was minding their own business and was attacked by a lunatic with a badge. The first livestreamed murder committed by a police officer has just occurred and of course it was in the United States. I want to flee this country, I no longer feel safe here, I want to renounce my citizenship and go somewhere else. I understand this might be one of the most difficult things I ever do, especially considering that right now I have very little money and a lease and several other nightmares in my way, but I can't live here anymore.

I'm looking at Canada. Where do I go? Who do I talk to? What is the filing process like, what do I need, how much will it cost? Do I need to have living arrangements set up ahead of time? What about a job? Anything else I need to know?

Please please please help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeahiamghos
Mar 2, 2003

That's a shame... and the worst part of it is, this isn't a coil spanner. It's... a FLUX. COUPLER.
Shut the gently caress up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Does your profession qualify under NAFTA regulations for professionals? If so, find a job in Canada and move. It's basically as simple as can be; as much as folks on both sides of the border love to bitch about how they're being hosed by NAFTA, there are some definite benefits.

If not, you'll have to apply through our points-based system. Google it because I'm too lazy to do it for you. Maybe also consult a Canadian immigration attorney if you're serious and not just a whiny bitch.

I don't know how it works for any place in the EU, but I'm guessing it's similar. Generally, if you don't have any in-demand skills, you're hosed, but if you can find a decent job offer the company will usually help you obtain the necessary visas.

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

If you really want to move it's irrelevant what your reasons are, what matters is what you do to move. The fact that you took your whole post to bitch about how it's more evident today that life is horrible for many people makes it seem like you're just a drama queen. FWIW other places have problems too, they just appear in different ways and in different places.

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

Maybe join a protest or volunteer or campaign or become active in your community and try to make things better instead of saying "gently caress you I'll get mine somewhere else"?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

let i hug posted:

If you really want to move it's irrelevant what your reasons are, what matters is what you do to move. The fact that you took your whole post to bitch about how it's more evident today that life is horrible for many people makes it seem like you're just a drama queen. FWIW other places have problems too, they just appear in different ways and in different places.

Heartily seconded. I recently moved from the US to Sweden and plot twist: there is still racism, sexism and generalised oppression here too! It's just a different flavor of it. Admittedly, I'm not worried a cop will kill me because I'm brown on a day that ends in Y, but there is still the Swedish Democrats, amid many other varieties of bigot here. I feel safer in Sweden, comparatively speaking, but I don't feel safe. Oppression speaks all languages.

[Effort post] If you are honest to goodness serious about this, learn languages. Be loving fluent as all get out. Look for job offers that suit your talents, and are willing to go through the labyrinthine hurdles to get you out of the country. Go to school in a different country if you can (I know a few people going to grad school in Canada or England). Meet people from all around the world, even if its online. But keep in mind, it isn't just financial or incredible time consuming effort, it's also emotionally taxing as well. I left everything I knew, in the country I grew up in all my life, to start my life with someone I love. I miss seeing my dog every day, I miss seeing my friends, I am now the outsider, the stranger in a strange land, and it's scary. On a near daily basis I sound like a weird mumbly mess in Swedish. My sleeping schedule still hasn't quite adjusted to the 3am sunrises here (why). I had a close friend succumb to cancer weeks ago and I couldn't go to the funeral. I'm still dealing with the cosmic horror of seeing someone that looks like my dad being executed livestream, even in Sweden.

And all that you DO love in America, family, friends, dogs, Taco Bell, whatever; all that is left behind for a Mega City-lite dystopia. You can't take them all with you.

While moving to an English speaking country won't have as many difficulties (like Canada as you mentioned), moving to Sweden is the scariest thing I've ever done. In my case, I feel that it's worth it, despite all the difficulties, as I'm finally, *finally* getting to live with the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. I'm also tremendously lucky and privileged for being an American, because there are a TON of refugees trying to get in, fleeing actual daily living hells, and I feel that I pretty much slowly waltzed on in. Said refugees get it WAY worse, and it's getting even harder for them to escape Judge Dredd nightmares. I'm lucky because I was born in America and fell in love with a goon utterly wonderful person.

So you can stay and fight the shitstorms, hopefully making it better for you and others around you, now and to come in the future (which I am very much for), OR you can take an oftentimes complex and rough road to getting the gently caress out of there. But realize what also entails with "I'm loving LEAVING to Canada" card, and that it may not be all too different on the other side. [/effort post]

e: it's 3AM and it shows in my post.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

let i hug posted:

I apologize. I wasn't calm when I wrote that and just not thinking straight, obviously the reason for me wanting to move is irrelevant and doesn't belong in AT. If I could go back and edit that part out I would but I can't and it's too late and whatever.

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

Skunkrocker posted:

I apologize. I wasn't calm when I wrote that and just not thinking straight, obviously the reason for me wanting to move is irrelevant and doesn't belong in AT. If I could go back and edit that part out I would but I can't and it's too late and whatever.

It's all good, poo poo's pretty upsetting. I do think you might want to rethink moving if it's solely for cultural/political reasons as there's a lot going on all over the world with the resurgence of the far right (especially in Europe) and it can get pretty dicey.

Generally, good reasons to move to another country lead to natural (though not easy) paths to doing that. Wanting to pursue a job/economic opportunity, wanting to attend a specific school, wanting to be with a loved one, etc. Really research places you might want to live, and think about what your life there would be like and how you can achieve that. You'll probably find a relatively obvious (though again, not easy) set of steps to getting there.

Grad school can be a good pick as it gets your foot in the door, puts you in an area so you can interview there and simultaneously take advantage of the school's recruitment connections, while also being a good thing for your career and making it easier to immigrate in general. You might also want to just look at places where your profession is really in demand/there's a big market for your industry and see if you can get anyone to sponsor you for a work visa. If there's a big demand for your skill-set then that can be relatively easy, though still often luck based.

The biggest thing is that you need to be simultaneously making reasonable life choices. If you just hated your hometown and had to move, you'd still want to take that opportunity to move somewhere where you'll have better opportunities and feel like you really fit in as opposed to just getting "somewhere".

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Marry a foreigner, OP. (My wife did!)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
You can't just up and move to another country without a reason to legally be there. You need a job or a school or a spouse or refugee status or enough money to not care about these things. Whatever job you find has to be willing to sponsor you in.

The easiest way to come to Canada is through a NAFTA visa, as already pointed out, google "NAFTA Visa job list" and see if you are one of those professions. Then you still have to find a job before you come here and get interviewed at the border with a letter from said company. You have to have a job fully set up BEFORE you get in, and proof you have enough money to live for a bit once you get here.

The second easiest way is as a student. Go back to school at a Canadian institution and you'll have the length of your study plus 6 months to stay here and find a job. Once your student visa runs out if you don't have a job you can't cross the border again, you won't be allowed back here. I have 2 friends who were deported from Canada for trying to get away with expired student visas, their passports are flagged and travel is a permanent nightmare for them now.

Other options you can look into include: Working holiday visas, teaching English overseas.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I moved to Canada as an american, from Texas. Originally on a whim for a girl, then got a student visa. If you're not a skilled professional a student visa is your only hope. Even marriage isn't a guarantee. I love this place but seriously, it's not some wonderland compared to the USA, all the same problems exist. Plus, the stress of not knowing how or if I can stay after I finish studying. And even so me and my GF talk a lot about moving to the States, or to Ireland where I may have a job opportunity.

Have you even been to Canada before? It's cold America with people who claim to be french but speak an incomprehensible patois.

In any case, you'll never just move here. You need a reason. Canada likes to go on about "the cultural mosaic eh?" but actually immigrating here loving sucks. Look at schools, if you're serious. But before that, visit. You can legally stay for up to six months without any visa, as an american, although you can't work during that time so lol good luck. Take a vacation at least. You'd honestly probably be just as well going to Minnesota or Vermont or Washington and not dealing with the terrifying headache of immigration. Again it's not a wonderland here.

Enjoy being searched at the border and accused of drug trafficking.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 9, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Skunkrocker posted:

We are living in the dystopian age of fiction I never thought would ever happen.

It's been happening for a long time you're just more aware of it now because everyone has a camera on them at all times and can capture these things, and so it is actually getting into the media instead of being brushed under the rug.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Scudworth posted:

You can't just up and move to another country without a reason to legally be there.

Well you can, but the countries that will allow that "a cop shot a minority" will be the least of your problems.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'd say come to California because we're slightly more civilized than elsewhere but really the last thing we need is more people so stay out, ok??

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

1. Get job
2. Adjust to new country
3. ???
4. Profit

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What do you do for work OP.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If you have a blog or vlog, you can emigrate to Australia or South Africa. Wait, i hosed that up, South Africa doesnt take vlogs, but the rest is correct.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

If you have a blog or vlog, you can emigrate to Australia or South Africa. Wait, i hosed that up, South Africa doesnt take vlogs, but the rest is correct.

Wait, seriously? The country that keeps refugees in inhumane conditions "processing" in Nauru will let you enter because of a blog?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NihilismNow posted:

Well you can, but the countries that will allow that "a cop shot a minority" will be the least of your problems.

Also you may be a minority there (and an immigrant!)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Maybe you should consider moving to a different state first, I hear they can be quite varied. Alaska is kinda like Canada, right (not really)? Would be a lot easier.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Cops never used to rough up or kill people in the past.

We know this because you never saw it in 1950s tv shows or in old black and white movies. No, it turns out that just at the same time that everyone in the U.S. started walking around with cameras, cops started being overly aggressive. Just a lucky coincidence that we are now able to spot this entirely new behavior.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Skunkrocker posted:

Move to Syria you loving putrid leech.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skunkrocker posted:

Honestly, I just can't deal with living in this country anymore. In the past twenty four hours three videos have surfaced of American police officers executing people for minor crimes. We are living in the dystopian age of fiction I never thought would ever happen. This is Mega City levels of guilty before being proven innocent with US cops acting as Judge Dredds. I'm honestly scared for my life, I'm scared of the direction the United States is taking, how this is being justified by the masses... like it's suddenly okay for cops to not brutally beat but straight up kill suspects now? And it's not just people of color sadly, but now it's happening to any white person who encounters one of these psycho cops and thanks to cameras being everywhere it's constantly being seen. Every day a new story appears where someone was minding their own business and was attacked by a lunatic with a badge. The first livestreamed murder committed by a police officer has just occurred and of course it was in the United States. I want to flee this country, I no longer feel safe here, I want to renounce my citizenship and go somewhere else. I understand this might be one of the most difficult things I ever do, especially considering that right now I have very little money and a lease and several other nightmares in my way, but I can't live here anymore.

I'm looking at Canada. Where do I go? Who do I talk to? What is the filing process like, what do I need, how much will it cost? Do I need to have living arrangements set up ahead of time? What about a job? Anything else I need to know?

Please please please help.

Have you tried finding an abandoned oil rig and starting your own libertarian nation that runs on bitcoin?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Nah, mate. You're got it all wrong. You're supposed to throw a histrionic temper tantrum on Facebook threatening to move to Canada because of the latest news.

Then, you don't actually do it, because that would involve effort and by the time the paperwork's done, you would have forgotten why you wanted to move anyway.

Cycle repeats when something similar crops up on Facebook again, ad nauseam, ad infinitum.

Same thing as uni students threatening to smash the state, and ten years later, all they care about is their next bonus.

EDIT:

We had the same thing going on when Indonesia executed two Australian drug smugglers, a very loud minority claiming that they would boycott Bali, and three months later, they had completely forgotten / stopped caring about said boycott.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 11, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What make you think other countries would actually want you to move there, OP?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Probably the easiest country for Americans to move and work in is the Netherlands, with the Dutch-American Friendship Treaty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAFT

You just need to create some business that relates to both of the countries (internet freelance work would probably be good enough), and have a small amount of money to invest in the business. You get two years, and it seems like you'd be able to change it to a proper job visa if the opportunity presents itself, or you can renew it if your business is successful (I'd imagine it would have to be if you can sustain yourself in the country for two years).

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm not sure about moving there for good right off the bat, but I think you can spend several years teaching English abroad in various Asian countries like Japan or Korea where the violence, shootings, and crime rates are so laughably minuscule in comparison to the US that their perception of America is that it's basically Thunderdome and Trump is Lord Humungus (at least this is what my Japanese gf says). And though full immigration is usually extremely difficult(especially in Japan) I know some westerners do end up moving there for good. Many marry foreigners, as has already been mentioned. Might be something to look into if you're tired of living in Murdertown, USA.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 13, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You wouldn't feel this way if you had a gun, op.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Canada is really hosed up in its own ways, OP. A lovely house like this costs nearly $4,000,000 in my town and keeps going up 30+% per year. No one but baby boomers and Chinese investors can afford property anymore - the economy is imploding and young people are fleeing, unable to even consider buying an apartment.

50' x 122' lot

Listing: http://www.thecolourofrealestate.com/r2088271-2348-oliver-crescent

My wife and I would love to move to the US, social problems and all.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

No one but baby boomers and Chinese investors can afford property anymore - the economy is imploding and young people are fleeing, unable to even consider buying an apartment.

The Vancouver & Toronto housing bubble isn't representative of Canada as a whole. You can still buy a house outside these markets for nothing, or rent ludicrously huge apartments in other major cities like Montreal for cheap.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Adding on to property price discussion: If you move to Canada you'll have to pretend that Vancouver is the very best place on earth and the weather there is fantastic when both things are demonstrably false.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Scudworth posted:

The Vancouver & Toronto housing bubble isn't representative of Canada as a whole. You can still buy a house outside these markets for nothing, or rent ludicrously huge apartments in other major cities like Montreal for cheap.

hell you can buy the entire city of Winnipeg for $15 Canadian

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Scudworth posted:

It is a huge part of Canada and will bring down Canada when the bubble bursts.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Scudworth posted:

Hell, if I had to move to Canada Montreal would be high on the list.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
So if a foreigner were to move to Montreal, would the locals make an attempt to speak European French with them or expect them to learn the local dog-howling?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

So if a foreigner were to move to Montreal, would the locals make an attempt to speak European French with them or expect them to learn the local dog-howling?

Quebecers don't know European French.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Quebecers don't know European French.

They don't have their own written standard, though, so they kind of have to if they're literate.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

A lovely house like this costs nearly $4,000,000 in my town and keeps going up 30+% per year.

Haha, wow. And I thought my city had a hosed up housing market. This is beyond the pale.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

They don't have their own written standard, though, so they kind of have to if they're literate.

They know how it's written but they certainly can't speak European French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Actual French people, as in "people from France," are expected to learn the local dog-howling.

• Locked thread