Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Green Intern posted:

It's not explained in the game (I think?), but Jagi wears that helmet because he and Ken already fought a while back. Ken kicked Jagi's rear end and disfigured his face, and Jagi uses the helmet plus some metal braces to literally keep his head from exploding after that encounter due to Ken's techniques.

The visual to go with that:

You know that's gotta be a wicked headache 24/7.

I like Jagi's visual design, especially in the helmet. He's like a cross between Mad Max and Lord Humongous plus some other elements. Most other characters in this series just look like generic barbarians or medieval cosplay enthusiasts with a dash of biker thrown in.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't know what the game will cover so I try to avoid spoiling everything.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

All friendships end one way or another

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Rei's dead, moving on

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The story with Shew is rather hosed up, but these martial arts are meant for killing and they are hardcore about their rules no matter the situation.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

The story with Shew is rather hosed up, but these martial arts are meant for killing and they are hardcore about their rules no matter the situation.

A lot of things in the story seem to come down to ancient rules in one way or another.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ah, yes Thouzer, master of the Thouzern school.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
My favorite thing about the FOTNS setting in general is that the world was nuked into the punchmans apocalypse like a decade or so back, but everyone is practicing these ancient martial arts passed down for centuries. The implication is that all these people were training ther over-the-top murder techniques in normal modern Earth, then when society suddenly collapses into a might-makes-right hellscape, they're all like "GOD, FINALLY".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ProfessorProf posted:

My favorite thing about the FOTNS setting in general is that the world was nuked into the punchmans apocalypse like a decade or so back, but everyone is practicing these ancient martial arts passed down for centuries. The implication is that all these people were training ther over-the-top murder techniques in normal modern Earth, then when society suddenly collapses into a might-makes-right hellscape, they're all like "GOD, FINALLY".

Turns out ancient magic temples are generally good fallout shelters.

Generally. Bad luck, Toki!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ProfessorProf posted:

Also that giants are common enough among the people and not at all some mutation.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Also that giants are common enough among the people and not at all some mutation.

Something about being huge made them immune to nuclear blasts

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Or maybe they're all normal sized and the apocalypse is full of midgets?

Like Kenshiro is Tom Cruiser short.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Considering pressure points make people actually explode like a water balloon full of blood in this world, I'm sure there's all kinds of ridiculous ways they build man-mountains, too.

We're operating under Crazy Biology rules.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

ProfessorProf posted:

Actually there's a prequel series called Fist of the Blue Sky that takes place in 1930's China, so basically they didn't even wait for society to collapse.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What caused the nuclear war, anyway? Pre-emptive strike on the terrifying punchman dojos?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I think they went with the all-encapsulating "humanity is going to blow the world up it's inevitable." Notably the apocalypse in the original work takes place in 199X.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Someone invincible to Ken's technique!?!?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Night10194 posted:

What caused the nuclear war, anyway? Pre-emptive strike on the terrifying punchman dojos?
Can I spoil this, GamesAreSupernice, or should I wait for the God's Army mission?

edit: Nice.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 26, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can I spoil this, GamesAreSupernice, or should I wait for the God's Army mission?

It's the very next mission, so I'm not sure it matters too much.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Thouzer was a learning experience when I looked up his imperial blood.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

God help me I'm actually starting to kinda get into this ridiculous punchmans melodrama.

I'm guessing Thouzer's thing is that he has no pressure points because he's some kind of mutant. Raoh strikes me as the kind of guy who would lack the real strength of character to face someone when his trump card won't apply, while Kenshiro has more humility and is much more flexible (like when he picked up Boulder Splitting Wave from Shin, which is a Nanto technique if I remember right) and so he's capable of learning and adapting without his crazy one-shot win button.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Woops, I was mistaken as to what you were quoting. Should not respond to things at like 4AM. You can go ahead and spoil it, ScaldingCoffee, they don't explain it in the game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Dangit. We just traded in our Rei model Nanto guy in for Shew, and look what happens.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nanto guys seem a little tragic death prone.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I remember the whole arc on the side of the pyramid being one of my favorite parts of the anime. The melodrama is so perfectly ham-fisted.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

More punch-man melodrama please.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lotish posted:

More punch-man melodrama please.

The rest is already recorded, I'm just slightly spacing it out.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The story goes that the world got nuked by what may have been Not-Putin and the Oligarchs, people who expected to rule the world with their surviving military after destroying it. They were soon killed by Colonel, a member of the Russian Red Berets, who found out about their plan to end the world. He founded what eventually became God's Army.

Thouzer was a real bastard to everyone. His star is Leadership, which makes the Nanto unable to defeat him. His "imperial blood" is really the condition of Dextrocardia situs inversus totalis. Thouzer first met Kenshiro as a boy who fought in the Nanto version of a kumite. Roah entered him to assess his potential. Child Kenshiro defeated 9 in a row and Shew was the last opponent. Shew won easily and was ordered by Thouzer to kill the boy as per Nanto law and Shew wanted none of that, and scratched his eyes in exchange to spare the boy. Shew got his star of Benevolence for that. The world ended some time later.

Did you know that Shew had a son (Shiva) who saved Ken when Thouzer nearly killed him? He was killed for that. That final attack of Thouzer doing a handstand and leaping in the air that looked real awkward, was the result of his legs being paralyzed from Ken hitting his vital points. Thouzer also regularly supplied his slave labor with children, to build his mausoleum. Had them tortured and whipped by adult slave-drivers.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 27, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Children don't make very good workers.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I don't think Thouzer really cared much for efficiency.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

The story goes that the world got nuked by what may have been Not-Putin and the Oligarchs, people who expected to rule the world with their surviving military after destroying it. They were soon killed by Colonel, a member of the Russian Red Berets, who found out about their plan to end the world. He founded what eventually became God's Army.

So, is Thouzer the Colonel with a new name, or are they different people and Thouzer took control of God's Army later?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The name of the groups are different. They are different people. Kenshiro defeated Colonel before he met the Fangs.
Thouzer was top dog before the world ended.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So Kenshiro knew Ryuga from back in the day, but didn't know he was Yuria's brother? Or did he forget because stuff happened that blocked his memories of some things?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
For a guy on his last legs, Toki sure is living for a long time with radiation sickness. Doesn't help he is moving through the irradiated wasteland.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

For a guy on his last legs, Toki sure is living for a long time with radiation sickness. Doesn't help he is moving through the irradiated wasteland.

He's got radiation poisoning, he gets the poo poo punched out of him by Raoh, he spoilers, and then finally dies at the hands of Ryuga.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

These cutscenes

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I waited so long for those Manly Tears. This sort of thing happened all the time in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

The name of the groups are different. They are different people. Kenshiro defeated Colonel before he met the Fangs.
Thouzer was top dog before the world ended.

I'm super bad with names, sorry. Thank you for clarifying!

• Locked thread