Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Night Of is HBO’s new mini series, detailing the events that lead up to, and the aftermath of, a rather horrendous crime in the middle of the night in NYC. The show goes to great lengths to depict each step in the process of going through the criminal justice system, from arrest to court.

Adapted from Criminal Justice on the BBC (Spoilers), and originally produced by James Gandolfini. He was around to film the pilot episode of “The Night Of” before his death. The show was on hiatus for a bit, but has come back with Gandolfini’s family’s blessing. Gandolfini has been recast by John Turturro.

Reviews
Reviews for this season have already been rolling in, and it looks like HBO has another hit on their hands.

Alan Sepinwall, at Hitfix

New York Times

Vanity Fair

Cast
Here are the prominent characters in the pilot episode:

Nasir Khan (Riz Ahmed)
A young guy going out on the town to party in his dad’s cab.

Jack Stone (John Turturro)
A private lawyer with a bad case of eczema.

Detective Box (Bill Camp)
A detective with a keen eye who knows how to work the system.

Andrea (Sofia Black-D'Elia)
A young woman who just wants to go to the beach.

There are a number of HBO alumni that I’ll add as the show goes on. I’ve seen the cast list and I think it would be nice to be surprised by who will show up. Look it up at your own peril.

You can catch the premier this Sunday on HBO, or you can watch the first episode RIGHT NOW on HBOGO or HBONOW, if you have it. I highly recommend it, as it has every indication of being a hell of a show.

Trailer here.

Spoiler Policy: This was based on another show, so obsensibly you could know how this whole story plays out. I personally haven't seen Criminal Justice, and don't really plan to until this is over. So please limit discussion on that show. Since the show hasn't officially premiered, I'd say that you should make sure to spoiler tag any discussion of the first episode until Sunday night.

Max fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

They must have some advisors that are former Public Defenders, cuz I've never seen a show capture the shitshow that is lock-up so well.

EDIT: Also its so refreshing to see things from the side of the defendant. TV mostly portray trials as nailing someone, rather than hewing to a resonable doubt. Way more people are convicted due to bullshit eyewitnesses, unlucky circumstances, and panic than most people realize.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, I forgot to mention this: Though the show is based on the British version, they did a really good job of adapting the setting to the US justice system, warts and all. This probably has to do with the fact that one of the writers (Richard Price) was on the writing staff for The Wire.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Watched the pilot last night, this show does an incredible job of building tension. There was one scene where I had to actively stop myself from skipping ahead. Really looking forward to seeing if he did it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The description of the knife scene is really killer.

Also, here's an article about John Turturro taking over for Gandolfini. Link.

Max fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 8, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've been looking forward to this and can't wait to watch it. I don't have HBO at the moment (waiting for my buddy to hook me up with HBOGo).

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
I saw the pilot and found it to be really gripping. Can't wait to watch the rest. SIgh...I wish the show had already aired in its entirty and I could just binge through it,, seems like the perfect show for that sort of thing.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
I watched the first episode this week and I'm bummed I have to wait so long for the second one.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, I watched it a few weeks ago when they dropped the pilot with my wife and she was really mad at me for having us start the show so early.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

That was top 5 Sexy TV scenes until the reveal. Wild torqued

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The next ep is this Sunday? He asks hopefully.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
So the creepy hearse guy at the gas station did it, right?

( I have not seen the British show)

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Kevyn posted:

So the creepy hearse guy at the gas station did it, right?

( I have not seen the British show)

I doubt it. I have him pegged as being a future witness that she was in the cab. As far as him being creepy, he wasn't, he was justifiably pissed about her throwing the lit cigarette in the middle of the gas station pumps.

The only real other suspect vibe I got was from the dude with Bodie(the witness from earlier in the night and later at the scene if you haven't seen the Wire)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

savinhill posted:

I doubt it. I have him pegged as being a future witness that she was in the cab. As far as him being creepy, he wasn't, he was justifiably pissed about her throwing the lit cigarette in the middle of the gas station pumps.

The only real other suspect vibe I got was from the dude with Bodie(the witness from earlier in the night and later at the scene if you haven't seen the Wire)

Fun note: Bodie's character said he was walking alone to Box when asked about Naz.

I wouldn't be surprised if the killer just wasn't in the episode at all. It seemed like everyone was established as getting a really good look at the two of them, as potential eye-witnesses. They had all those shots of security cameras recording him around the city, the parking ticket that proves he was on the street, etc.

Shageletic posted:

The next ep is this Sunday? He asks hopefully.

Sadly, no, we have to wait another week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man the pedigree on this show is pretty amazing. I'm gonna hold off on starting it until it's airing weekly but the writers and cast have me psyched.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Really enjoyed the first episode and talked my wife into watching it. On my re-watch I'm catching a bunch of things I missed the first time through. Quality television right here. The tension build up is really well done, and I found myself saying "no, don't" several times throughout the show as he made things worse.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I've watched the first episode twice already. I cannot wait for episode 2 tonight. My theory right now hinges on the back door being left open after Andrea feeds her cat.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Are we getting episode 2 tonight? I'm fairly certain it's just the actual premier of episode 1.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's episode 1

edit: According to hbo.com

withak fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 10, 2016

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That's what I thought.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Noooooooo

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Facts we got from the pilot:

1. Girl seemed scared to be alone. Perhaps this is why she is so hungry for company? Because she knows someone wants her dead?

2. She doesn't close the back entrance to her house after she puts out the cat.

3. Several black guys gave her menacing looks.

objects in mirror fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 11, 2016

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Man this show has been a series of bad events.

But I'm hooked so far and want to see how this unfolds.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 11, 2016

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, I watched it again. I'm really intrigued, I want to know how someone could have done that and left Naz alone downstairs.

I also want to know how the hell they'll ever find that person, because every single thing points to Naz to any observer.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

objects in mirror posted:

Facts we got from the pilot:

1. Girl seemed scared to be alone. Perhaps this is why she is so hungry for company? Because she knows someone wants her dead?

2. She doesn't close the back entrance to her house after she puts out the cat.

3. Several black guys gave her menacing looks.
She seemed suicidal more than anything else.

I like how much was peppered through the episode that Turturro could conceivably use in court.

Broken chain of evidence is the big one, as well as the black guy lying about being alone + his casual racism calling his credibility into question. I think there was something else but I can't remember now.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder if we'll get a satisfying resolution to the murder mystery? It could be a Rashomon style thing, where we get a few different possibilities of what happened, but the truth is never spelled out in the text.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Such a tense show. Loved all the little hints that were dropped before and after the crime.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Something I hadn't really thought of before was how much of a clusterfuck these nights are for the shift cops that are responsible for bringing people in. For example, those two cops who originally pulled Naz over had to work an extra 6 hours by the time they were writing up the details of the event, and just wanted to get the hell out of there. That's important because that information is going to be a part of the record in court, and if paperwork is lazily completed, it could be just another thing that works against the defendant.

Can't wait for next episode.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

sector_corrector posted:

I wonder if we'll get a satisfying resolution to the murder mystery? It could be a Rashomon style thing, where we get a few different possibilities of what happened, but the truth is never spelled out in the text.

Yea, that's possible, and so far it's gearing up to be a story about the system and its processes.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

objects in mirror posted:

Yea, that's possible, and so far it's gearing up to be a story about the system and its processes.

It's Exec produced by David Simon, so I absolutely wouldn't be shocked if the details of the murder play second fiddle to "the system."

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

the trump tutelage posted:

She seemed suicidal more than anything else.

I like how much was peppered through the episode that Turturro could conceivably use in court.

Broken chain of evidence is the big one, as well as the black guy lying about being alone + his casual racism calling his credibility into question. I think there was something else but I can't remember now.

So are supposed to be "playing along at home?" I noticed that stuff too. I don't really know anything about the show, so are we supposed to paying attention to all those details and try to solve this mystery along with the characters in the show?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

So are supposed to be "playing along at home?" I noticed that stuff too. I don't really know anything about the show, so are we supposed to paying attention to all those details and try to solve this mystery along with the characters in the show?

Definitely, to what extent I don't know, maybe they'll leave it all ambiguous in the end, but they wouldn't be throwing obvious clues, hints and red herrings out there if they didn't want the audience guessing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It seems like from the audience's perspective it is supposed to be clear that he didn't really do it, but were there any hints suggesting that he might have actually blacked out and killed her? Maybe I've just been burned by too many unreliable narrator stories.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

It looked like he had a pretty bad wound on his hand, and I don't remember him getting that, or was that just blood? The scratches seemed to just be from sex.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
When he went back for his car keys, he cut his hand on the broken glass of the door he broke into.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

That guy is right hosed.

Really great, tense show. I'm excited!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I really like how they managed to trap Naz in an impossible situation without relying on any wildly improbable coincidences or gimmicky twists. It all feels very logical and natural.

I didn't know Gandolifini had been involved in this. I like Turturro but I would have been fun to see Gandolfini in that role.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Turturro said that Gandolfini was barely in the Pilot episode, so we really won't know how he would have played the role.

It's almost comical how many little things happen to Naz after he finds the body. He immediately cuts himself on the window, has his dna all over the house, has a parking ticket that proves the car was there, blood on the car, the "is she dead" question, and trying to run after they found the knife. You really can't blame Box for saying "Yup, he did it."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, watching him make one terrible mistake after another was great because it felt real - the guy wakes up in the middle of the night after drug and alcohol fuelled sex with a stranger and finds her murdered in her bed, the first thing he's going to do is panic.

I actually felt dread for the poor bastard sitting in the back of the two different patrol cars and then all those different benches at the station just waiting for the other shoe to drop, especially as several times it looked like he might just get cut loose after all.

I'm also not discounting the idea that he DID kill her and just doesn't remember it - all the various little things we saw could be pure coincidence and I have a feeling a big facet of the show will be demonstrating just how easy it is to create alternate scenarios because nothing happens in a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Watching from even the before sex interactions like him cutting her hand and getting finger painted with her blood while putting prints all over her knife, it was like watching a pile of poo poo just accumulate then finally dump on him after they pulled out the knife right in front of the detective.

• Locked thread