Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I want this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Any news on when Max Damage is coming to PC? I'll probably replay this once the new version is out.

Do I understand correctly that it'll be a new library entry separate to reincarnation?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

No news on the PC release as of yet, except that it "won't be many many months later" (Nobby from Stainless said this on one of their recent Twitch streams). I assume it'll be a separate entry in the library, but who knows.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

From what I've read from the Carmageddon news they keep mailing me (I never remember to toggle that thing off), it'll be a separate entry on your steam library.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I can survive with poo poo graphics but physics are kind of crucial for a game like this though, and while the first two games were hardly realistic in that aspect, they had a certain feel to it that i think was somewhat off in Reincarnation. Not necessarily bad, but different enough to feel a bit wrong.

Yeah, I loved the hell out of Carma 2 back in the day and something about Reincarnation just felt off. It was just really hard to get satisfying smashes, and it's tricky to pin down just why, but it felt like a bit of combination of the cars controlling a bit too loosely and the AI being a bit to squirrelly. It also felt a little too easy to get wrecked/smashed yourself? A lot of the time I remember i'd end up in negative credits because I was repairing so much just keeping my car in a driveable state.

Hoping the Max Damage version feels better to me.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I lost a ridiculous percentage of my childhood to Carmageddon and Carmageddon 2 and was on the Kickstarter like car on granny, but Reincarnation was hot garbage, a slow, boring mess with terrible, muffled sound design and meagre gameplay padded out with endless grinding. The maps were lifeless, the car selection unspiring, the gameplay tragically dated by modern standards. It was a gargantuan wet fart and the slow as gently caress load times meant it wasn't even much use as a burn-ten-minutes thing like Devil Daggers or Nuclear Throne.

Max Damage will almost certainly be turds also. TURDS, I SAY.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Disgusting Coward posted:

The maps were lifeless, the car selection unspiring, the gameplay tragically dated by modern standards.

*ejects u from your posting seat*

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
So how does this run on console?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I finally got to play the first level last night. The atmosphere is there, the gore is there (plenty of peds to run over), the exploration and secrets are there, the multiple characters are there, the way the tutorial and achievements are worded is funny in the crude way one would expect...all that feels a little off is the steering, but that's only after about 20 minutes of hands-on time.

I'm trying to think of words to describe the steering. It's not unplayable or anything. It could be a little "tighter" at high speeds so it feels more "arcade-y" like the DOS games felt. Maybe it's me, I'm not sure.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It feels like they tried to make it kinda-sorta "realistic" for some reason.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Yodzilla posted:

It feels like they tried to make it kinda-sorta "realistic" for some reason.

I guess fans wanted realistic handling for their Solid Granite Cars equipped with Electro-Bastard Rays. :shrug:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

widespread posted:

I guess fans wanted realistic handling for their Solid Granite Cars equipped with Electro-Bastard Rays. :shrug:

A reasonable expectation. :golf:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

widespread posted:

gonna be the truest Pinball Mode ever when I find one

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

welp im buying it for the ps4 right now. Loved Carmageddon 1 and 2. So I imagine I'll like this too. :)

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Charles Martel posted:

I finally got to play the first level last night. The atmosphere is there, the gore is there (plenty of peds to run over), the exploration and secrets are there, the multiple characters are there, the way the tutorial and achievements are worded is funny in the crude way one would expect...all that feels a little off is the steering, but that's only after about 20 minutes of hands-on time.

I'm trying to think of words to describe the steering. It's not unplayable or anything. It could be a little "tighter" at high speeds so it feels more "arcade-y" like the DOS games felt. Maybe it's me, I'm not sure.
Everything here is correct. It's everything I loved about 1, just more/better, with the exception of the steering. I loved the wacky handling of 1, powersliding around everywhere (I love that youtube review where the reviewer seriously whinges that he 'has to use the handbrake all the time') and it's still here but the steering is dodgy as heck, like there's lag, or it's lumpy or something. You sort of forget about it after a few minutes, but hopefully they can still tighten it up.

The bigger maps are awesome, so full of stuff to find, it's gonna be fun just figuring out how to get to all those rooftops.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
This may seem really obvious, but it took me a long time to figure out, so I'll share this: For those of you who don't like the controls, please give the other cars a try. Even the Hawk is a big step up from the Eagle, and I've had an amazing time driving the Shredlight.

I think it took me this long because I've always played with the Eagle for almost the entirety of the old games and thought it was among the better cars, but in Max Damage it seems to lose its wheels at the sight of a slight breeze.

The game gets really frantic and fun in its later levels. I'm starting to like it more than the old ones.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yeah, the Eagle feels weirdly sluggish and fragile in this one. You could totally use it for the entire game in Carma 1 and 2 (in 2 it was the best car for most missions) but here it's just not as good. The Shredlight is probably the best vehicle for every game mode except Car Crusher.

Digital Foundry did a performance analysis on the game, there's not too much info in there that isn't already in the OP (it does mention that the PS4 version runs at full 1080p and Xbone at 900p) but it does let you look at the versions side by side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eddeIredsD8

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 15, 2016

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Trip report:
In my opinion, if you liked Carma 1 or 2, you will like this one.

I play only a few games a year these days and this one is the perfect type of game to pick up for an hour or so, play a level or two and set it down for the night. Yes, there are some polish issues (in the sound design department, some funny bugs here and there) but it didn't affect my experience at all.

Go play that poo poo!

(Note: I am on the PS4 version.)

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
~3 hours in, I fully retract my previous statement - I can totally see why this game is getting terrible reviews. Don't buy it.

The 'Classic Carma' mode is still as amazing as ever, but once you can't earn enough points to progress via that alone (the fact that points from one level don't contribute to the next is beyond words idiotic) and you have to play the other modes...holy poo poo. They're loving dreadful. Don't want to go into detail because I'll sound like a whiney prick but they're just flat out broken and frustrating in the worst way possible.

I'm trying to have fun...but...I can't...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm not exactly a fan of the other modes and they can be annoying, but wrecking opponents to steal their points works quite nicely and is more entertaining than playing by the rules. If all else fails, you can always ignore the other events and just replay the Classic Carma levels to earn more points, which of course isn't optimal but still probably more enjoyable than most of the other modes. I also recommend playing on easy (applies to all Carmageddon games, not just this one) because the only difference is that you earn more money.

One thing I do absolutely hate are the cop APCs, which will wreck your poo poo until you get a better vehicle. Since you lose money (and a point in the other modes) when you're wrecked and the cops only attack you... yeah, that is straight-up bad design.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

toiletbrush posted:

~3 hours in, I fully retract my previous statement - I can totally see why this game is getting terrible reviews. Don't buy it.

The 'Classic Carma' mode is still as amazing as ever, but once you can't earn enough points to progress via that alone (the fact that points from one level don't contribute to the next is beyond words idiotic) and you have to play the other modes...holy poo poo.

What? I never play anything but Classic Carma and it's fine ? Got all the cars unlocked etc..

I mean you could do the Laps stuff which isn't bad, but don't pick the big yellow truck if you need to jump over buildings n poo poo like i did, it'll be borderline impossible xD

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 19, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I guess that guy forgot about the "missions" in Carmageddon 2 which were basically a brick wall preventing you from moving on to the next tier of races. lovely shoehorned-in modes that are unfun to play is just part of the Carmageddon experience.

Just a matter of time until we find out what Max Damage's equivalent to the LAPMYLOVEPUMP or IBETYOUCANTPRINTCUNT cheats is, then we can just skip over that poo poo.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I did always like the mission where you need to destroy the Big Dump, as well as the one with the 12 police cars (knocking them around with The Plow was the best). The rest can gently caress off, though.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
trying out some mods and fatcat's monsterbug is fun as hell and pretty well balanced.

http://www.carmageddon.com/comment/82901#comment-82901

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
God drat it, I saw the crap reviews and just didn't look any deeper than that.

I hate being an idiot sometimes.

I loving adored Carma2 back in the day and must have put hundreds of hours into it and finally played the first game when it came out on mobile devices. The amount of video clips I saved from Carma 2 where I'd shear vehicles perfectly in two almost filled my whopping 8gig hard drive. Hahaha.

Can't wait to soil my shreddies later.

Edit: Forgot about those loving missions, yeah. The Big Dump one was great, but I always had to cheat my way past the one on the mountains/mines where you had to kill every ped and there was always a couple on the top of some awkward to get to via a jump outcrop. gently caress.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 8, 2016

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

toiletbrush posted:

Everything here is correct. It's everything I loved about 1, just more/better, with the exception of the steering. I loved the wacky handling of 1, powersliding around everywhere (I love that youtube review where the reviewer seriously whinges that he 'has to use the handbrake all the time') and it's still here but the steering is dodgy as heck, like there's lag, or it's lumpy or something. You sort of forget about it after a few minutes, but hopefully they can still tighten it up.

Didn't notice handling to change from carmageddon 1, granted it was never handling like any other racing game. I think they mentioned they did something gimmicky back then - supercharged the engines and upped the gravity to 150% to prevent cars flying away or something of this sort.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
From playing the phone version (Like, what? 2 years ago?) and finding the handling wonky as hell am I right in thinking you just have to upgrade the stats a bit in this to tighten everything up a bit?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I guess but maybe just pick another car. I don't really understand the complaints about handling cus i personally thought it was the best in the entire series in Reincarnation. I mean... you can actually drift through turns and poo poo at full speed in this game.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
play with a controller.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So is the PC version of Max Damage coming out soonish or am I better off picking up the PS4 version?

Also re: shoehorned modes, I will say that Twisted Metal 2012- a game I beat recently on NORMAL- is... okay with that stuff? I mean, the races are hard as poo poo due to turning and jumps, the cage matches are more small arena DMs, and one boss can gently caress right off. But other than that, it was inoffensive? Either way, I'll probably be fine with the tacked-on modes in Carma, moreso since I won't have to worry about fuckin' PS Now's streaming.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

widespread posted:

So is the PC version of Max Damage coming out soonish or am I better off picking up the PS4 version?
The latest word is still "sometime soon" for the PC version. Nobby from Stainless mentioned on one of the pre-release Twitch streams that it "won't take many months" but that's all I've heard on the matter.

edit: Also, they apparently did end up removing "Zero Signal" from Max Damage, probably because they only licensed it for Reincarnation and would've had to re-license it for this one. Slightly unfortunate, but nothing that custom soundtracks won't fix (unless you really need the instrumental, which isn't on any streaming services).

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 9, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Doc Morbid posted:

The latest word is still "sometime soon" for the PC version. Nobby from Stainless mentioned on one of the pre-release Twitch streams that it "won't take many months" but that's all I've heard on the matter.

edit: Also, they apparently did end up removing "Zero Signal" from Max Damage, probably because they only licensed it for Reincarnation and would've had to re-license it for this one. Slightly unfortunate, but nothing that custom soundtracks won't fix (unless you really need the instrumental, which isn't on any streaming services).

Eh, it's fine. PC's in the same room as the PS4 so it's not like I'm missing it dearly.

But uh, yeah, I'll see about getting Max Damage after this one trip.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Just got an email saying Max Damage is out on Steam today.

Pity I'm about to jump into Titanfall 2. I'll definitely try it later on though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't recieve a email so I could have missed its launch for really long. Going to give it a try and see if they really improved upon reincarnation.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I got two emails actually. One from kickstarter and one from Stainless direct. Of note in the direct email is this -

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's the relationship between Reincarnation and Max Damage? Reincarnation only came out a year or so ago, so is Max Damage basically just an update with a new name slapped on it, or what? I backed Reincarnation ages ago but haven't really paid much attention to things since then, actually haven't even played it since the reaction on release seemed to be a resounding "meh."

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's the same thing just a new name with a patch. It's an unpleasantly common thing games do now to shed old, bad Steam reviews, even if they're warranted.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's the same thing just a new name with a patch. It's an unpleasantly common thing games do now to shed old, bad Steam reviews, even if they're warranted.

It's also free for those who owned Reincarnation so I don't see the issue considering how long it took them to make Reincarnation playable.

Overall it feels better, much better optimization (seems that having to code it for a console helped) and closer to Carma 2. Just by letting me up the detail is a good start. Now I'm wondering what are the options on launch for?

CarMODgeddon is obvious but the rest?

Edit: Figured it out, something related with american election and killing awful politics.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 27, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Not complaining about free updates that make it better, just the sketchy business practice of dumping your (hopefully) legitimately earned bad reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
did they change the handling or does it just feel better with a steady framerate? either way having a blast, multiplayer's a ghost town though :/

• Locked thread