Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

pedrovay2003 posted:

And yeah, now that we remembered that first-person view exists, we'll probably forget it by the next episode.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

RiffRaff1138 posted:

In it, it's revealed that the events of the first two books (Ring and Spiral) occurred entirely in a computer simulation, but somehow Sadako's virus managed to infect the real world, and someone had to send his consciousness into the virtual world to try to find a vaccine.

Holy bejeezus. Was that the writer's plan from the beginning, or was that just thrown in to keep the series fresh, or something? And why would they make a game based solely around the third book like that when the first two are clearly important to the plot? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

kjetting posted:

Fixed that for you.

Eh. :-P

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 13, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Don't get me wrong: The world is experiencing an apocalypse so someone has to dive into the past to uncover the truth of how to stop it and this fucks with their mind and makes them experience things asequentially and lose some memories is a pretty good plot for something, but not this.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I'm not all-the-way caught up yet but so far Naked Pig Bat is my favorite character.

Eager to find out how he/she is going to fit in to the whole smallpox storyline.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cathode Raymond posted:

Eager to find out how he/she is going to fit in to the whole smallpox storyline.

I'll bet that Naked Pig Bat turns out to be Robert, and he was just trying to hug us. Just watch.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 13, 2016

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

pedrovay2003 posted:

Holy bejeezus. Was that the writer's plan from the beginning, or was that just thrown in to keep the series fresh, or something? And why would they make a game based solely around the third book like that when the first two are clearly important to the plot? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

It seems to me like the Ring was a bigger hit than he expected and he was asked to do sequels to a book he already felt he had closure on. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit. That's why I asked a few posts ago if the first book is as good as the movie or if the seams were showing already then. I still hope someone can give an answer to that.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

kjetting posted:

It seems to me like the Ring was a bigger hit than he expected and he was asked to do sequels to a book he already felt he had closure on. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit. That's why I asked a few posts ago if the first book is as good as the movie or if the seams were showing already then. I still hope someone can give an answer to that.
No, not really. If you've already seen the movie, I'd just leave it at that. I mean, for the most part, I think it was mainly that I had already seen the movie, so it may have taken some of the impact out of the book, or that a story about a cursed video doesn't really work well in text form, where you can't actually see the video.

The only real problem I can remember with the first book is the whole thing with Sadako being a hermaphrodite, as was unclearly mentioned in the game. It just seemed to come out of nowhere, and the only reason I can remember it being important to the plot of the first book is it was basically why Sadako was killed. Her teacher tried to rape her, saw she had male genitals, was freaked out, and threw her down a well. Yeah. It did become more of a plot point in Spiral, which if I remember correctly, involved Sadako somehow using her curse-virus to be reborn as a "full" hermaphrodite, and being able to impregnate herself with... well, herself. I think this book was when the smallpox virus became a plot point, and at this point "Sadako" was basically just the smallpox virus taking Sadako's form, so self-propagation was her whole reason for existence. The Ring series, everybody!

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

I'm so glad I found this thread, I remember back when Spoony did a video on this game, and I was so amazed by this things existence. Knowing that this actually faithful to the books makes it even better.

Also if anyone wants to know what's up with the series now, here ya go

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6YXCsXL0o34

There is also this shorter trailer, just in case you wanted to see Sadako and Kayako jump at each other over Sadako's well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc_DdwmZl9U

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

RiffRaff1138 posted:

The Ring series, everybody!

Wow.

None of these tales of magical viruses and hermaphroditism explain the monster designs in this game, though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thundersword238 posted:

I'm so glad I found this thread, I remember back when Spoony did a video on this game, and I was so amazed by this things existence. Knowing that this actually faithful to the books makes it even better.

There is also this shorter trailer, just in case you wanted to see Sadako and Kayako jump at each other over Sadako's well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc_DdwmZl9U

I keep saying "Just go to Spirits and Such. Friendly, competent staff, real commitment to customer service, high customer satisfaction, all for bargain prices."

But noooo, people keep thinking they have a "better idea", and everything goes just like you'd expect it to.

Well, at least it keeps Kurosagi in business.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thundersword238 posted:

If this gets released in the West, I will unironically buy it as soon as possible. If nothing else, it has to be a better Freddy Vs. Jason.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I'm most of the way caught up now but I'm concerned about the Chief and Peter's increasingly strained relationship.

I hope it doesn't end in virus murder. I hope it ends in virus murder.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I see we've outfitted our grenade launcher with the legendary "zero explosion radius" grenades.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Glazius posted:

I see we've outfitted our grenade launcher with the legendary "zero explosion radius" grenades

...that are spin-armed by the time they reach the end of the barrel.

And packed with child-safe directional incendiary charges.

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 16, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Hey, everybody. Unfortunately, there won't be a new episode today; between having our first wedding anniversary yesterday and me being ungodly sick for the past few days, we just didn't have time to record over the weekend. We'll be back on Friday as usual, though, so don't worry, you'll get your much-needed fill of The Ring again soon. :-P

xoFcitcrA posted:

And packed with child-safe directional incendiary charges.

I was honestly laughing for hours over the incendiary grenades in this game. Even after seeing how they worked, I was so afraid that I was going to get myself killed, because I like to imagine that I have at least a shred of logic in my head.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 16, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
No new video? I guess my bad feelings came true.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Hey, happy paper anniversary! (I am pretty sure that is the first one)

Those are some pretty solid reasons, we can wait. At least for a short while...

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cathode Raymond posted:

No new video? I guess my bad feelings came true.

Aw, I'm sorry. We'll be back to not horrendously sick by Friday, I think. (We love doing these videos, so it sucks from out point of view, too.)

Thesaya posted:

Hey, happy paper anniversary! (I am pretty sure that is the first one)

Thank you very much, and yes, it is! I have no idea where the paper idea comes from, though.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

pedrovay2003 posted:

Aw, I'm sorry. We'll be back to not horrendously sick by Friday, I think. (We love doing these videos, so it sucks from out point of view, too.)

I dunno man. You have no idea how powerful the force of the curse is, so if you end up skipping another week...I'm going to assume that THIS happened to you :ohdear:...

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

pedrovay2003 posted:

Nah it's fine, I was just looking for an opportunity to use one of the weirder dialogue lines from Meg's long conversation with Brigade Member in the pitch black darkness. I actually just caught up with the last video today over lunch.

So when Amy talked about how Office CDC is the game and Dark World is the real world, is that actually what's going on? What is going on story-wise? It seems like not that much has happened, despite Meg proclaiming that "so many things have happened that I'm confused!" I'm actually confused by the lack of happenings.

Also, they should have made that ghost girl translucent or shiny or something because she does not really look like a ghost.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Happy anniversary, and here's to many more.

And more episodes too. Also good.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cathode Raymond posted:

So when Amy talked about how Office CDC is the game and Dark World is the real world, is that actually what's going on? What is going on story-wise? It seems like not that much has happened, despite Meg proclaiming that "so many things have happened that I'm confused!" I'm actually confused by the lack of happenings.

From what I can tell, yeah, I think that's the story. It seems to line up with some of the spoilered movie information, too, so I can't imagine it being anything else.

Lotish posted:

Happy anniversary, and here's to many more.

And more episodes too. Also good.

Aw, we appreciate it! :-D And yes, many more videos.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
You should check out Siren after this. It's also extremely confusing, but in a good way.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Forgall posted:

You should check out Siren after this. It's also extremely confusing, but in a good way.

Not to be mean to our friend Pete, but from what I've seen of SGF's playthrough and based on the things Pete has butted up against in this game, I suspect that if he played Siren the LP would not end before he died :D

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Not to be mean to our friend Pete, but from what I've seen of SGF's playthrough and based on the things Pete has butted up against in this game, I suspect that if he played Siren the LP would not end before he died :D
Yeah, it'll be great.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Siren is hide and seek where a slightest gently caress-up kills you.

P&A could do Extermination on the PS2. It's kinda horror, with a mild romantic side plot, and if you get the Euro version the voice acting is just amazingly bad.

Or Raw Danger, which is a disaster survival game, where you start as a waiter and can step on someone's contact lenses, crawl on all fours in a high society crowd and yell for no reason in the first five minutes. Then the actual disaster starts.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Hopefully whatever game they decide to do is one where we can actually see what's happening.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
The only Siren LPs I've seen were more story-focused affairs, I'd love to see an LP where someone had to flail their way through it. (In the best possible way, of course.)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Son Ryo posted:

The only Siren LPs I've seen were more story-focused affairs, I'd love to see an LP where someone had to flail their way through it. (In the best possible way, of course.)

Can Pete's voice even take that much ranting?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Ha, I guess I need to track down Siren. The only exposure I have to the series is the Blood Curse demo.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

SelenicMartian posted:

Siren is hide and seek where a slightest gently caress-up kills you.

P&A could do Extermination on the PS2. It's kinda horror, with a mild romantic side plot, and if you get the Euro version the voice acting is just amazingly bad.

Or Raw Danger, which is a disaster survival game, where you start as a waiter and can step on someone's contact lenses, crawl on all fours in a high society crowd and yell for no reason in the first five minutes. Then the actual disaster starts.

I was looking up Extermination on Wikipedia and there was mention of another game called Carrier, a horror game on the Dreamcast. If P&A want more Dreamcast games, that's another suggestion.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was looking up Extermination on Wikipedia and there was mention of another game called Carrier, a horror game on the Dreamcast. If P&A want more Dreamcast games, that's another suggestion.

I do remember seeing Carrier when it was new. I never got the chance to play it, but a new Dreamcast game is never a bad thing.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Can I interest you in a little PS1 game called "Countdown Vampires"

Apparently it's just an awful RE Clone and is probably not worth even looking up other than it's terrible name and wonderful EU box art.

I mean... look at the EU box art:

EDIT:

Also this gif illustrates Pete and Amy's cat trying to turn off the Dreamcast that one time.

D_W fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 19, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

This has my vote.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

D_W posted:

Can I interest you in a little PS1 game called "Countdown Vampires"

Apparently it's just an awful RE Clone and is probably not worth even looking up other than it's terrible name and wonderful EU box art.

I mean... look at the EU box art:

EDIT:

Also this gif illustrates Pete and Amy's cat trying to turn off the Dreamcast that one time.

Everything in this post is simultaneously glorious and horrifying.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 12 is up now, and boy, is there plot in this one!

"Plot."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

"Plot?" Is doctor motorboat back?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Lotish posted:

"Plot?" Is doctor motorboat back?

I don't know; did Robert say that?

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
I can explain some of this.

The "chanel" room was most likely meant to be a "charnel" room, or in more modern terminology, a morgue.

There was a file two few videos ago that mentioned Shizuko by name. It says that Sadako "showed her powers when her mom, Shizuko Yamamura, was caught by the press as a public experiment." That film clip when Meg examined the brain machine is what that file was trying to talk about : Shizuko was clairvoyant, and made a public demonstration of her abilities by psychically viewing what was written on a hidden piece of paper and writing it out. (All of which was based on a real person.) The guy who got up, pointed and yelled angrily at Shizuko was a journalist who was calling her a fraud, and he fell over dead because Sadako psychically killed him.

Shizuko mentioned that she was resurrected somehow, and that this is why she's a child now. This wasn't in any of the books in the original trilogy, so I don't know the particulars. It might even be from the movies, and not in the books at all. Or maybe it's original to the game! I don't know.

Apparently Sadako physically existed in the game's real world? That would have to mean that the LOOP program in the game is not the computer simulation from the book Loop. The book's simulation sure as hell wasn't made from Sadako's brain. I guess it's not actually in continuity with the books, it's just a reference to them.

If it is meant to be in continuity, the game's "real world" would have to be the book's simulation, and the game's LOOP program is a simulation within a simulation. But then, the game seems to be based more on the movies' continuity than the books. It is using clips from the first movie, and included Sadako killing the guy harassing her mother, which only happened in the movie. So maybe the books' simulation doesn't actually exist in the game? But Sadako is a hermaphrodite in the game, which she was in the books but not the movies, so it is the book continuity? Or maybe I'm putting more thought into this game than the people who made it did?

Also, a little late, but I thought you might like to know that Kayako and Toshio from the Ju-On series have an Instagram account. There are some Sadako vs. Kayako images in there, so it's not totally off-topic for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Countdown: Vampires is a pretty meh choice 'cause they thought it was a brilliant idea to hide all the plot behind a special game mode you have unlock by getting an S rank in the normal game mode (it was something dumb like this... been 15 years though). Seeing you two play Carrier would be amazing though!

• Locked thread