Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Anime Reference posted:

The Ring: Terror's Realm was a hilariously incompetent mess while Ju-On was a low effort cash-in by people who didn't care. I don't know which is "better" but it's obvious which is more entertaining.

The Ring: Terror's Realm wins this contest for actually being a game, not just a string of cheap jump scares you trigger by holding forward on your controller (and any button on the second controller).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Oh man...so after all my searching...I made a few startling discoveries. I'll summarize them all in this post, but you can see them for yourself if you click the following link:

Let's Play The Ring (Japanese Let's Play)

Now, the Japanese version of this game seems to have turned up the brightness levels a bit, and they changed the default camera to one that follows you around. Instead of having a fixed viewpoint, it sets itself behind the player, like in Kingdom Hearts.

BUT OTHER THAN THAT, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO! EVEN THE VOICE ACTING IS THE EXACT SAME!

Yes, that's right; Japanese players got the same awful voice cast that we got! The English audio is the only audio that was recorded for this game! The Japanese just happen to have subtitles (ones that seem to be slightly different than the dialogue we got). So basically...

1) The script was written in Japanese, then badly translated into English

2) But then the voice acting was recorded in English, and no other language!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Fionordequester posted:

Oh man...so after all my searching...I made a few startling discoveries.

Every bit of this is insane to me. If there were ever a game that truly needs a Did You Know Gaming episode all to itself, it's this one.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Fionordequester posted:

2) But then the voice acting was recorded in English, and no other language!
This wasn't all that uncommon in this era -- Capcom did it a lot, for instance. I can't imagine why they did it for this game, though, seeing as it's based on a Japanese horror franchise that had absolutely no presence in the West at the time.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think the voice acting may have a simple explanation.

Basically, I assume it takes place in America, or somewhere with at least English as the primary language, right? (I haven't gotten this far in the books yet) So the Japanese studio is likely to have a handful of people who can speak some level of English around, and they used them for 'authenticity.' Or even more likely, they got someone working as JET or whatever, and gave them a $50 in yen's worth, and had them do a few lines. I've heard of this being a thing for a few games with a similar concept before.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sadako returning to her home planet at about 20 minutes mid-video was hilarious.

Also the chief was acting so hard I couldn't actually understand half of what he was saying.

Was there an explanation for why it seemed everyone suddenly disappeared? The ladies from the cafeteria, Lukino; they just seemed to poof out of existence at some point and I feel like I missed something, but it's probably just the game is bad.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 27, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Lotish posted:

Also the chief was acting so hard I couldn't actually understand half of what he was saying.

John: Siiggghhhh, indeed. I don't know WHY, you and Robert, want to have it, your own, WAYsssssiiiggghhhh.

Meg: Virus, what? What are you talking about, Chief?

John: Just another effort, one more step and the work is over! I'LL be the one who controls the virussssssiiiggghhhh. SssssiiiggghhhhIt's not too bad, even as a prototype. SssiigghhhThe force, of Sadako Yamamura. The FORCE, of the CURSE; who'd ever imagine how POWERFUL, the force of the curse isssssssiiiggghhhh...

Meg: *gasp* The force of Sadako Yamamura? The force of the curse? *gasp* Robert...Robert! Oh no! Was it...you?

John: Robertsssiigghhh? Yeah! He wanted to know about the virus, so I did him a favor. I gave him that virus to satisfy his curiositysssiigghhh.

Meg: You gave the virus to him, THAT'S what caused him to be such a monster, and THAT'S what caused his death?! ALL because of the virus?!

John: WELL DON'T WORRY!! SssiigghhhYou'll be with Robert very soon; in 24 hours, you'll be totally overtaken by the test virussssiigghhh...Before you DIE, you will help me to prove that I have Sadako's force UNDER my control!

Meg: You BASTARD! Then, all of the patients carried in here have been...*gasp*!

John: For our species sake, for HUMANITY! SssiigghhhSadako's force will SWEEP all over humanity; transforming itsssiigghhh! So why not improve yourself with the VIRUS?! SssiigghhhThe virus PROMOTES us! Allows us beings to EVOLVE furthersssiigghhh! Sssiigghhh...

Meg: It's NOT for humanity at all! What you've done is NOT for us, but only for yourself! YOU just want control over Sadako's power!

John: SssiigghhhMaybe, maybe you're right! But it doesn't matter anymore! If only I can use this power...LOOK, this is it, and I'm the ONLY one who rules this FORCE!!

(A moment passes as Meg looks on in horror. Sadako then brainjacks John)

Meg: *gasp*...*gasp*! Who's...

Sadako: Ahahahahahahaha!

Meg: What's happening?!

(Sadako then speaks this next line through John)

Sadako!John: No you CAN'T! You'll never betheonethatcontrolsthisforce, NEVER EVER!!

(Sadako cackles again as John starts roaring freakishly)

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 27, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Thank you for the laugh.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Lotish posted:

Thank you for the laugh.

Hey don't thank me; thank the localization team for giving us such a wonderful script :cheeky: .

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Lotish posted:

Sadako returning to her home planet at about 20 minutes mid-video was hilarious.

Was there an explanation for why it seemed everyone suddenly disappeared? The ladies from the cafeteria, Lukino; they just seemed to poof out of existence at some point and I feel like I missed something, but it's probably just the game is bad.

I think it is supposed to be that all the fake humans that populated the virtual world based on Sadako's memory transformed into monsters.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

pedrovay2003 posted:

Every bit of this is insane to me. If there were ever a game that truly needs a Did You Know Gaming episode all to itself, it's this one.

By the way...would you mind uploading the "Tense Dungeon Music OST" that I mentioned? This one here? I actually wouldn't mind listening to that from time to time.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fionordequester posted:

By the way...would you mind uploading the "Tense Dungeon Music OST" that I mentioned? This one here? I actually wouldn't mind listening to that from time to time.

Yeah, we can do that. Give me a bit to not feel horrendously sick today, and I'll record some clean audio.

EDIT: Okay, I've got a clean version of the song. I looped it three times and then faded out the end, so I hope you like it. :D

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 28, 2016

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Hey. Might be a bit late, and/or overdone, but id you want an interesting survival horror game on Dreamcast...

... Illbleed.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Hey. Might be a bit late, and/or overdone, but id you want an interesting survival horror game on Dreamcast...

... Illbleed.

I thought about recommending this, but there's the whole thing where you need to complete the whole game twice (and in most horrifying fashion the second time) to get the true ending which is just too sadistic.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Son Ryo posted:

in most horrifying fashion

You mean sexiest fashion?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Illbleed is a great game. But I think it's kind of got a 'required reading' sort of thing with knowing about the main mechanic of the game ahead of time. Without knowing how to use that first person thing it's basically unplayable, but it seems like the game doesn't really explain that to the player. Or maybe I'm just misremembering.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Just shotgunned most of the LP and yeah, thanks for it.

As been previously stated I can only imagine the poor confused American/non-Japanese person in general that played this game with no prior knowledge of the series. It's definitely a memorable entry among those strange rear end late 90's/early 2000's Japanese survival horror games that you never see anymore.

I also love how the rocket launcher is this secret weapon you need to find pieces for but you can't even use it for the final two boss fights and the entire ending sequence in general.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

I also love how the rocket launcher is this secret weapon you need to find pieces for but you can't even use it for the final two boss fights and the entire ending sequence in general.

Actually, I think you MIGHT be able to bring it if you store the pieces in your Chest before heading to the...ergh..."Office World". Yeah, let's go with that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fionordequester posted:

Actually, I think you MIGHT be able to bring it if you store the pieces in your Chest before heading to the...ergh..."Office World". Yeah, let's go with that.
That would be rear end backwards if true, because the game has been reinforcing the whole time how items can't transfer between the realities.

It would definitely be plausible for a game like this though.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

That would be rear end backwards if true, because the game has been reinforcing the whole time how items can't transfer between the realities.

It would definitely be plausible for a game like this though.

Eh, I dunno man; didn't Pete still have all his storage items in Parts 12-13?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fionordequester posted:

Eh, I dunno man; didn't Pete still have all his storage items in Parts 12-13?

I'm pretty sure I still had the separate items that I had stored in the VR world, but I definitely didn't have my shotgun or machine gun that I had stored in the real world. I would have taken ANYTHING other than the handgun for the final fight.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie

pedrovay2003 posted:

I'm pretty sure I still had the separate items that I had stored in the VR world, but I definitely didn't have my shotgun or machine gun that I had stored in the real world. I would have taken ANYTHING other than the handgun for the final fight.

It's actually fairly amusing that you spend a significant fraction of the game building up this arsenal, and then it gets taken away from you just in time to fight not one but two end bosses. In any other game, this would be one of the worst things about the game, but here I'm not even sure it makes the top 10.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

God, this game is awful.

E: For the record, the thing after the credits is the first character in Sadako's name, 貞.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 31, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

pedrovay2003 posted:

By the way...do you plan on keeping that Dreamcast and game? This game seems like it'd be really fun to play with my best friend, just for all the laughs we'd get riffing on everything.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fionordequester posted:

By the way...do you plan on keeping that Dreamcast and game? This game seems like it'd be really fun to play with my best friend, just for all the laughs we'd get riffing on everything.

Yeah, we're going to hang onto everything for now. I'm actually outright happy to have a Dreamcast again (Amy's parents got it for us from a local pawn shop); I know most of its worthwhile games have been ported to newer hardware, but the Dreamcast was so far ahead of its time (and there are STILL a few things that it could do that modern consoles don't) that it's still one of my favorite video game systems. I'm sure we'll do another Dreamcast LP in the future, too, so our bases are covered as it stands.

I do agree, though, turning your brain off and playing The Ring with friends would be fantastic. We're going to hang on to the game for now just in case something like that comes up for us. :-P If we ever decide to part with it, though, we'll keep you in mind.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 22, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I bought a Dreamcast just to play its exclusive Sword of the Berserk and it does some cute stuff with its mascot character and the VMU. I never had one during the Dreamcast's hey-day so I never got any other titles for it, but I considered the experience worth it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

I bought a Dreamcast just to play its exclusive Sword of the Berserk and it does some cute stuff with its mascot character and the VMU. I never had one during the Dreamcast's hey-day so I never got any other titles for it, but I considered the experience worth it.

The VMU was absolutely amazing. I remember carrying that thing around for days to raise my Chao in Sonic Adventure, and uploading it to the Dreamcast itself was always like magic to me. That system was so far ahead of its time in almost every regard.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

pedrovay2003 posted:

The VMU was absolutely amazing. I remember carrying that thing around for days to raise my Chao in Sonic Adventure, and uploading it to the Dreamcast itself was always like magic to me. That system was so far ahead of its time in almost every regard.
It was even ahead of its time in being discontinued.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Wait, what happened to Robert? Was Robert ok? Did Robert come back?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

Wait, what happened to Robert? Was Robert ok? Did Robert come back?

We'll never know. Such is the sad tale of Robert.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

pedrovay2003 posted:

We'll never know. Such is the sad tale of Robert.

Oh don't worry; this game had a sequel that was never released outside of Japan. All the answers are here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHZGqBVBCRw

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Caught up on this LP. OH god this game just ends, doesn't it? I do like the "I don't know the world is just kinda hosed, I guess." attitude of the ending. But this was like Blue Stinger level of bad.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

D_W posted:

Caught up on this LP. OH god this game just ends, doesn't it? I do like the "I don't know the world is just kinda hosed, I guess." attitude of the ending. But this was like Blue Stinger level of bad.

To be fair, look at the release date, not a whole lot of games in this genre weren't "Blue Stinger level of bad" until a Silent Hill 2 and Eternal Darkness set the bar for these types of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Hey, for anyone interested, Amy and I are playing Mario's Fundamentals right now. It might as well be a horror game at some points, at least! :-P

Burzmali posted:

To be fair, look at the release date, not a whole lot of games in this genre weren't "Blue Stinger level of bad" until a Silent Hill 2 and Eternal Darkness set the bar for these types of games.

I only vaguely remember seeing Blue Stinger box art back when it was new; I know literally nothing about that one.

• Locked thread