Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So the Russians penetrated the US electrical grid.

Russian hackers penetrated U.S. electricity grid through a utility in Vermont - The Washington Post
https://apple.news/AY8k6A_imRnmriBNWy6vz5w

To be fair, Cyber Command probably has the ability to turn off the lights and heat to the entirety of Russia right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Russians are blackout drunk so often they wouldn't notice.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

psydude posted:

To be fair, Cyber Command probably has the ability to turn off the lights and heat to the entirety of Russia right now.

thats not many lights or much heat

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

psydude posted:

So does a raccoon that makes a poor life choice.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Genocide Tendency posted:

Well let's not go holding our power grid up as a model of resiliency on that account. We lost most of the eastern seaboard to a hot day and a tree limb not too long ago.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

:drat:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Well let's not go holding our power grid up as a model of resiliency on that account. We lost most of the eastern seaboard to a hot day and a tree limb not too long ago.

Canada lost power to 3/4 of its entire country because the sun poo poo out a massive electrical discharge.

Power grids are fragile.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Canada lost power to 3/4 of its entire country because the sun poo poo out a massive electrical discharge.

Power grids are fragile.

When was this? The only big power-outage I remember here was when a squirrel climbed into a substation in upstate New York or something like that.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

March 13th, 1989. Think it happened a few times though

Edit:

Coronal Mass Ejections are an existential threat to power grids that everyone ignores because science is complicated and "how could the sun shut down my power grid. I don't understand so it must be wrong". And its going to be loving hilarious when half the northern US gets to watch the Aurora Borealis causes transformers to blow up.

Genocide Tendency fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 31, 2016

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Yeah, before my time. I remember the big early 2000s one though and it was weird having the entire region go out at once, we all sat around a battery powered radio with blankets. I guess I just have a hard time conceptualizing failures on that scale because it does seem so inconceivable for something so essential to modern life.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Mass outages happen usually because of cascade effect. Our power grids are like a Jenga tower and at this point everyone playing is 7 beers and a bottle of 151 in.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

psydude posted:

Why would we ever do that to our trustworthy ally, who has done nothing wrong?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
The hack is more russian sensationalism, there was malware on a laptop owned by the vermont power co. but it isnt connected to the grid in any way.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Quoting from, surprisingly, ADTRW.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Russia loves turning off their neighbors heat in the middle of winter to make a point. Seems fair that it happens to them now.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

This story is a lot more benign than it was made out to be. Turns out they never got access to "the grid" they just hacked into a laptop that was owned by the utility company, but it didn't have access to any critical components.

Do you have a source for this?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

ManMythLegend posted:

Do you have a source for this?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/12/30/report-russia-penetrated-us-electrical-grid/96022986/

also lol at how you need a source to prove russian didnt do something rather than they did do something

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/12/30/report-russia-penetrated-us-electrical-grid/96022986/

also lol at how you need a source to prove russian didnt do something rather than they did do something

It's more that the sources I saw earlier were legit places and this is the first I heard of it not being that big.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

It's more that the sources I saw earlier were legit places and this is the first I heard of it not being that big.

You mean the "American official" named in WaPo?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hot Karl Marx posted:

You mean the "American official" named in WaPo?

The whole story is kind of a mess.

It's also not clear if WaPo even contacted the utility. The utility is saying that the WaPo story is basically overblown and again, the laptop wasn't grid-connected:

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/815028706095886336

With that said, nowadays a lot of the computer viruses and worms can jump computers, even if disconnected from each other, due to stupid people with thumb drives, for instance. Also, it doesn't help that the utility is apparently really, really lovely about cybersecurity:

https://twitter.com/BruceRheins/status/815067910452350976

Overall, it was a bigger deal in 2014: http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/02/technology/security/russian-hackers/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So the Russians penetrated the US electrical grid.

Russian hackers penetrated U.S. electricity grid through a utility in Vermont - The Washington Post
https://apple.news/AY8k6A_imRnmriBNWy6vz5w

Updated reports are saying it was an employee's computer without access to the actual grid, aside from the computer being plugged into the wall.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
At this point I'm expecting the dark forces of government (the ones that have pedo parties in pizza parlors) to enact contingency plans for a coup

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Updated reports are saying it was an employee's computer without access to the actual grid, aside from the computer being plugged into the wall.

That really doesn't mean much. Stuxnet was able to jump the air gap, and that was almost 9 years ago. And with how sprawling and massive most ICS networks are, they inevitably end up accidentally connected to the Internet in one way or another.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yea, basically the malware signature released the other day popped on an employee laptop. There's no evidence that an actual scada system was compromised. But I'd wager some scada system somewhere in the US has malware on it.

Right now we're just having a pissing contest between republicans and democrats. Though I don't really know if it's so party specific anymore, maybe it should just be Pro-Trump vs Anti-Trump.

I'm glad they are raising concerns of cyber security, because it makes me way more marketable.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
basically every big hack of a retailer or whatever is a hammer i use to beat money and compliance out of my clients

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

May is desperate to find some friends.

Theresa May Scolds Kerry for Focus on Israel Settlements

quote:

In a statement that echoed Mr. Trump’s fierce criticism of the Obama administration, Mrs. May chided Mr. Kerry for, among other things, describing the Israeli government as the “most right-wing in Israeli history, with an agenda driven by the most extreme elements.”

Mrs. May does “not believe that it is appropriate to attack the composition of the democratically elected government of an ally,” a spokesman for the prime minister said, using the department’s customary anonymity.

Kim Darroch, the British ambassador in Washington, has said that Mrs. May and Mr. Trump want to “build on the legacy of Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher.”

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Welcome to 2017 and el grande cahuana my poor unfortunate friends

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yes, let's honor the memory of Reagan by claiming that it's no big deal that Russia influenced our elections

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/815185071317676033

I hate 2017 already

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm still hoping he has a debilitating stroke.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm still hoping he has a debilitating stroke.

Maybe he already did and this is the result

He's definitely got a shitload of disorders.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm not joking when I say I fully expect the stress of the job to kill him. And then we're left with Mike loving Pence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
New CE thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803599

• Locked thread